The Ultimate Guide to Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Ultimate Guide to Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:27 am

Review of Four Seasons Nevis

We spent a long weekend at the Four Seasons Nevis due to the delayed opening of the Park Hyatt St. Kitts.

I wrote a full review of the hotel here: https://techietravels.com/four-seasons-nevis/

Here's a quick overview:
We had the room rate, transfers, and breakfast covered by Hyatt. Everything went smoothly, although getting breakfast required documentation to be shown to reception. The Four Seasons is a great resort with wonderful service throughout. Be aware that you might have a bit of sticker shock at the costs of food and activities on Nevis though.

Thought this might be useful to people thinking about taking the Four Seasons option. There's also some reviews of excursions we took on the blog as well.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:38 pm

Beijing: Four Seasons Club floor vs RC Club Floor vs Fairmont Gold?

Hi,
would anyone care enough to describe the differences between FS Club Floor vs RC Club floor vs Fairmont Gold experience? Be even better if the comparison is for the Beijing properties.

We are transiting in Beijing for 1 night, not my first choice, but business requires it. We have no plan to go out and about in the city, just relaxing at the hotel. Maybe check out local shopping (traveling with the Mrs), if the hotel is connected or within very very short walking distance. That's why we are interested in the Club floor type settings, where if need be, we don't need to exit the hotel.

Have not stayed at FS or Fairmont at all, normally a Hyatt or Hilton person due to business travel pattern and corporate preference, which is not in the same level as FS. Stayed at RC last year, and was blown away by the service overall, (and that was at Shenzhen!). I promised myself that on next stay, I'd upgrade to the Club level and nab a ride in their house Rolls .....

We are also a bit paranoid about Beijing traffic. The FS looks closest to the 3rd ring road, and seems considerably closer than the Fairmont or RC to/from PEK.

Thank you in advance.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 1:53 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by r0m8470
Hi,
would anyone care enough to describe the differences between FS Club Floor vs RC Club floor vs Fairmont Gold experience? Be even better if the comparison is for the Beijing properties.

We are transiting in Beijing for 1 night, not my first choice, but business requires it. We have no plan to go out and about in the city, just relaxing at the hotel. Maybe check out local shopping (traveling with the Mrs), if the hotel is connected or within very very short walking distance. That's why we are interested in the Club floor type settings, where if need be, we don't need to exit the hotel.

Have not stayed at FS or Fairmont at all, normally a Hyatt or Hilton person due to business travel pattern and corporate preference, which is not in the same level as FS. Stayed at RC last year, and was blown away by the service overall, (and that was at Shenzhen!). I promised myself that on next stay, I'd upgrade to the Club level and nab a ride in their house Rolls .....

We are also a bit paranoid about Beijing traffic. The FS looks closest to the 3rd ring road, and seems considerably closer than the Fairmont or RC to/from PEK.

Thank you in advance.
If we're strictly talking about overall luxury and the club level experience....I'd say that Rosewood is the winner in Beijing. I have had clients that have visited all three and Rosewood is always the winner.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:46 pm

Story in the WSJ about FS, Cascade (Gates) and Kingdom Holdings (al-Waleed)

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/two...log-1500226911

It's behind a paywall, I believe, but *if* you are so inclined, loading the Twitter link and then clicking into the article there seems to work

https://mobile.twitter.com/wsj/statu...44610520555520
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks for twitter link! pretty detailed.

discussed in article >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...r-seasons.html
re FS room counts > http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post13584042
there were also threads on this >
As occupancy rates fell in the recession, some hotel owners pushed Four Seasons for cost cuts, from scrapping huge displays of fresh flowers to outsourcing laundry. At one meeting, Cascade executives argued that to save money at a Cascade-owned Four Seasons in Whistler, British Columbia, they should stop replacing guests’ sheets every day unless requested. Mr. Larson’s view was that wealthy travelers were also environmentally conscious. Mr. Sharp disagreed, saying guests paying as much as $700 a night should have their sheets washed daily, according to people familiar with the meeting. In a compromise, guests were given the option of placing a pine cone on their sheets if they didn’t need them washed every day.
cascade-owned punta mita started doing an annual travelzoo deal, also raised rates before doing unpublished FSPP 2nd nt free

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 17, 2017 at 6:55 pm
Old Jul 16, 2017, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Four Seasons has grown partly by breaking with industry conventions. In New Orleans it plans a 330-room hotel, defying a common belief that building much beyond 200 rooms means luxury service suffers.
Their hotels are successful but they feel like giant monoliths and the guest is just another high priced number filing in. You can't keep luxury levels high with that many guests in-house and tons of staff. FS provide luxurious environments but sub-par service in their mega 300+ room hotels.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by aa213bb
Story in the WSJ about FS, Cascade (Gates) and Kingdom Holdings (al-Waleed)

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/two...log-1500226911

It's behind a paywall, I believe, but *if* you are so inclined, loading the Twitter link and then clicking into the article there seems to work

https://mobile.twitter.com/wsj/statu...44610520555520
Thank you for sharing! Confirms some of my suspicions. I agree that 300 rooms+ are too big a hotel, especially in the US, but FS in the US seems like a secluded universe.

I know they are not only about aggressive expansion these days, but also and still about quality. I am not worried about this aspect all that much...

FS acts very differently with long-time owners, especially when a property is owned by '47% of corporate'
Old Jul 17, 2017, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scented
Thank you for sharing! Confirms some of my suspicions. I agree that 300 rooms+ are too big a hotel, especially in the US, but FS in the US seems like a secluded universe.

I know they are not only about aggressive expansion these days, but also and still about quality. I am not worried about this aspect all that much...
I think 300 rooms anywhere is too many when you want to offer the epitome of luxury. Unless you're a MICE kind of hotel.
The door falling off its hinges at FS Trinity (with RichardSF) had me wondering about quality scented.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

300 rooms is ok in asia. and or good owner. presumably FS sydney was fine under regent because they were less concerned about profits? dont recall number of rooms at ex regent IC. outside asia, in US of all places, there were some pretty good reports here for both FS in chicago.

quite a few owned by gates (gates has been buying) and alwaleed, enlightening quote re whistler ops

not sure why gates (et al) dont put hotels/businesses under their foundations, like some do in europe

did HK start going down some after long time GM left? cant recall reports here vs when he left
edit - looking back some, there were some great reports here under Schmidinger in 2015

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 17, 2017 at 12:59 pm
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
300 rooms is ok in asia. and or good owner. presumably FS sydney was fine under regent because they were less concerned about profits? dont recall number of rooms at ex regent IC. outside asia, in US of all places, there were some pretty good reports here for both FS in chicago.
They might be okay in Asia but the service is also just ok.

did HK start going down some after long time GM left? cant recall reports here vs when he left
William Mackay was a one of a kind GM. I'll just say that.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aventine
They might be okay in Asia but the service is also just ok.
lots of great reports here

not just ok under >

Originally Posted by Aventine
William Mackay was a one of a kind GM. I'll just say that.
shangri-la.com/corporate/about-us/management/mr-mackay-william/
2016 moved to SL as EVP, yet another poached from FS

at FS >
2015-2016 Asia President Ops
2014-2015 Asia SVP Ops
2004-2014 HK RVP

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 17, 2017 at 12:21 pm
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
lots of great reports here

not just ok under >

2016 moved to SL as EVP
yet another loss for FS ?

at FS >
2015-2016 Asia President Ops
2014-2015 Asia SVP Ops
2004-2014 HK RVP
Ahh. Well I'm talking about FS Seoul here. I hold FS to a higher standard than normal Koreans and I guess that's too much for this property. I think most normal folks would be impressed...

William Mackay left the company last year after 34 years of service. A well deserved retirement.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
FS Dubai has ~250 rooms and some of the best service I've ever received. As to what it would look like at 350 rooms, I am not sure.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by callmedtop
FS Dubai has ~250 rooms and some of the best service I've ever received. As to what it would look like at 350 rooms, I am not sure.
I'm sure FS puts particular care into there because it's the owner's backyard.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

incredible interview re service, management, FS, FS HK >

roomlma.ca/in-search-of-hotel-excellence-four-seasons-hotel-hong-kong-with-william-mackay

In Hong Kong, we were very lucky that over forty veterans of the old Regent (including our Chinese Executive Chef, Chan Yan Tak) rejoined us for the opening of the Four Seasons.

sadly, many managers are unintentional passion-killers who deprive their people of the autonomy they need to feel responsible for the achievement of agreed results.

I am frankly relentless in my own mind about giving first priority to employees and guests ... looking for areas where we may have an opportunity to improve

consciously keeping my “bureaucratic involvement” in administrative process to a minimum, which sounds easy, but is not. Every administrative function is ‘owned’ by someone seeking validation for their work through the visible and direct involvement of the general manager, which can make me a challenge for other stakeholders to deal with ... criticized for my slower responsiveness to some administrative issues that I see as ancillary to driving guest satisfaction or contributing to our business success, even if they are important to other stakeholders ... try not to spend too much time at 15,000 feet

Our hotel in Hong Kong is also a larger hotel than most Four Seasons properties, so I need to be sure that processes are working and communication is extensive, organized and clear so that nothing falls between the cracks because information wasn’t shared.

general manager directly taking a reservation from a travel partner (important though it may be) or responding to a guest complaint personally is involved at a very tactical level, that many management gurus would think inappropriate (if not fatal) in a business of our size and complexity; and yet this level of attention is one of our greatest points of difference. In the end, one has to delegate a lot, but there is a real art to “handing people off” to the appropriate people without offending them … and it is one that I have yet to master!

team of five in guest relations, led by a manager. The team was established as the hotel opened and determined as a necessity for a big and busy hotel ... Guests Relations Team technically fall within the Rooms Division ... physically adjacent to the front office ... guest relations team are also particularly focused on the needs of our highest paying ... just as much about making sure that we deliver one hundred percent execution on delivery of the basics ... will have a lot less impact if they are mistakenly assigned a twin bed

record guest preferences on a global basis, but the effort put into recording preferences is obviously meaningless if we don’t execute properly.

Four Seasons, specializing in only one premium segment of the market has a great advantage over companies trying to juggle multiple brands at multiple price-points.

combining authenticity and a sense of place with the brand consistency that guests demand is something I believe Four Seasons has become extraordinarily good at over many years; it’s part of our DNA.

technological innovation that becomes expected by the guest, without over-complicating things beyond what guests want.
wearehoteliers.com/william-mackay-interview/

I have also always felt able to speak my mind candidly without fear of retribution, which is important to me. I truly believe that Four Seasons remains a benchmark in the industry. So, I’ve never felt a pressing need to look elsewhere.

If you find a company that not only preaches but practices a high standard of ethical behavior, treats all its stakeholders with respect, provides continued opportunities for personal growth, is committed to excellence, is constantly innovating, and is able to retain talented people, you should think hard before deciding to leave. Such companies are not commonplace!

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 17, 2017 at 6:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.