Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 5:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scented
He's a tough act to follow.
Indeed.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:46 am

Anybody stay at the Siam recently? How is it since Jason left?

Trying to decide between Siam or a renovated room at the Mandarin Oriental.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller

Stayed there two weeks ago for my honeymoon for three nights and loved our stay. Haven't stayed at the MO, so can't compare to that although we did stay one night at the Peninsula and hated it. I haven't stayed prior to his departure so I can't really speak to that either, but the stay was excellent. We stayed in the Mae Nam Suite. Hard product was great, but there is construction going on in the outdoor dinner building (adjacent to the pool and by the river). No noise or anything, but the work was noticeable. I think I saw a sign saying it would be completed soon. Dinner was therefore served on the pier at night. Our butler Than was great and anticipated many of our needs including fixing my sim card issue on my phone, ordering cars for us without us asking (we had dinner reservations we informed them of prior to our arrival), printing out maps and copies of our passports, setting up the boat pick up etc. They also were considerate of our honeymoon and set up the room to that effect, and constantly congratulated us anytime they saw us roaming around. They anticipated our early morning departure and had breakfast boxes ready for us as well which was nice. All around it was great, and will probably be my choice hotel if we ever return to Bangkok. We also stayed at Amanpuri, FS Golden Triangle, Anantara Chiang Mai, RC HK, RC Tokyo, and Aman Tokyo during our trip. I wouldn't compare the Siam to Amanpuri, FS, or RC in terms of service, but I do think it was better than Anantara. I think the only critique I would have is that while they are eager to help, sometimes language issues get in the way (something I did not notice at any of the above hotels). Nothing bad or anything, and I wasn't bothered by it at all, but just figured I'd point it out.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:58 am

I've been many times and Nick Downing is a blessing for this hotel. One of my favorite hotels in the world.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP

I was there for 4 nights a few months ago. New GM is fine and quite visible. I had several conversations with him. I asked him to set up a briefing for me about Sodashi and he failed. Room was quite nice, although I never did figure out how to open the door properly using the card key. I found the gym to be inadequate -- a boxing ring and nothing else. Food was pretty good. I've only been to the Pen, and I prefer the Siam to the Pen, but not by much. The Pen has much better views of the river. I find the river enchanting and you get a better feel of it from the higher rooms at the Pen. But I found the Pen to be very, very dull with lackluster-to-poor food.

Not been to the MO, but I am wary of any hotel that has a dress code in a blisteringly hot tropical setting. This is a hot topic here at FT, with those that think a Brioni/Kiton Tux s/b required to cross the lobby and/or eat are WRONG. I did to eat at the MO bar, and the place was hopping.

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Dec 6, 2017 at 3:29 pm
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:13 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I don't know how strictly they enforce the dress code at MO. When I was there in October, we were sitting at breakfast next to guys in shorts and flip flops. Albeit Givenchy, but still, not the 'dress code'. Saw lots of people in the hotel not adhering.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:51 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by sydakllon
I don't know how strictly they enforce the dress code at MO. When I was there in October, we were sitting at breakfast next to guys in shorts and flip flops. Albeit Givenchy, but still, not the 'dress code'. Saw lots of people in the hotel not adhering.
It's an evening thing I believe - no shorts/flip flops in the lobby in the evenings and night.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Been there a couple of times recently and still outstanding. A little out of the way but still a great hotel. Definitely prefer it to the Mandarin unless it's a very short overnight.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:11 am

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
I like the Siam very much. Great service, beautiful rooms, ok views in some rooms ( not the views of the Oriental or Pen). I don't like the location. I love so many of the restaurants in Bangkok and love the views from the Oriental and the Pen. For me the Pen is on the wrong side of the river and don't think the food interesting. The MO has the " in your face" river views from the State rooms and authors suites in the river wing which I Love! Fabulous service and on the right side of the river. Yes there is traffic to contend with to get to some of the great restaurants but it's better than the long trip from the Sian IMHO. I actually like the Siam a lot but love Experiencing Bangkok and would take the "right Room" at the MO anyday for the location. It continues to remain one of my favorite city hotels and as much as I've been over the years they always remember my preferences and give me one of the 3 rooms/suites that I like best. i highly recommend but realize everyone has different opinions!
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:26 am

Nick writes:

"ps, I would like to take this opportunity to advise fellow TripAdvisor readers that work has recently commenced on neighboring land. First phase will be restoration of an old Thai House (into a museum) and riverfront parkland. The end result will be a lovely bonus for us. However in the short term, work has commenced on a new retaining wall which does involve some piling along the river. While there is no impact inside guest villas or suites, our riverside pool area will experience some audible disturbance at intermittent times between 9am and 6pm. There will be NO NOISE after 6pm or before 9am daily. For any concerned potential guests, please contact us directly at The Siam and we will be happy to expand further with the latest situation. Thanks for allowing me to explain this situation for clarify of all our guests, both current and in the near future."
Old Mar 2, 2018, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Really? Wouldn't impact suites or villas? I'm surprised.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 7:39 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
The Siam Hotel Bangkok = Unique Resort in the City

The Siam

Map| 6 Reviews | 67% Recommended

The Siam

3/2 Thanon Khao Bangkok, TH 10300

The Siam Hotel Bangkok = Unique Resort in the City (38 Photos)

The Siam

In my opinion The Siam is a one of a kind hotel with almost no benchmark to compare to in Bangkok: it would be like comparing an old collectible classic car to a brand new sports car.  The Siam is almost like a resort in the city, and the hotel also looks like a museum with many historical artefacts in the common areas and also in the rooms.  

Many luxury hotels are by the river but The Siam is much farther north than others.  For that reason the location of The Siam is a disadvantage for me because there is not much around and it should be no surprise that the hotel shuttle boat brings guests to Saphan Taksin which is between Four Seasons / Capella and Mandarin Oriental, all three of which have a more convenient location in my opinion.  Unfortunately the shuttle boat is only in operation on weekends at the moment.

The hotel is low-rise and only has 39 suites and villas so very quiet which in periods of high occupancy in the city (non-covid times) would be a nice change from the large busy hotels.  The Siam is also in a large compound isolated from the rest of the city with vegetation to give a strong resort feeling.  

1_IMG_5181.jpegIMG_5182.jpeg1_IMG_5183.jpeg1_IMG_5184.jpegIMG_5185.jpegIMG_5186.jpeg1_IMG_5204.jpeg

Room

I booked the entry level room (80 sqm) and received a one-category upgrade at check-in to the to Mae Nam Suite (90 sqm).  The fact that even the cheapest rooms at this hotel are so large means that for people who value space, when comparing to other hotels you probably have to match with the higher level room types.  In that regard The Siam is comparable to 137 Pillars where all rooms are suites and quite large, therefore the starting price is not cheap.  However those two properties can be less competitive for members of hotel loyalty programs which generously upgrade to suites for example Park Hyatt, Waldorf Astoria, or St.Regis.

The Mae Nam suites are on the second floor of the hotel and have modest water views; the better views are on the 3rd floor and those rooms are the Riverview suites.  That said, regardless of which room type the views are nicer at the other riverside hotels such as MO, FS, and Capella.  

IMG_5170.jpeg

The Siam is an old hotel and the room is unmatched in terms of design with a very traditional and historical feeling rather than the modern design of many other luxury hotels.  The flip side is that technological features are absent for example no electric blinds and the air conditioning was not the strongest despite moving the temperature down to the minimum possible during the night.  The room was very long with the window at the far end which made the room a bit dark.  The bathroom was at the other end of the room and only had a curtain to separate with the rest of the room which was odd.  Also because this is effectively a resort, it’s one of the few hotels in Bangkok where I saw mosquito repellant in the room which ended up being useful because we had a few unwanted visitors during our stay.  

1_IMG_5156.jpeg1_IMG_5157.jpegIMG_5158.jpeg1_IMG_5159.jpeg1_IMG_5160.jpegIMG_5161.jpegIMG_5163.jpegIMG_5164.jpegIMG_5165.jpegIMG_5167.jpegIMG_5169.jpeg

1_IMG_5201.jpeg1_IMG_5202.jpeg

Common Areas

The hotel common areas were stunning and beautiful, as mentioned above almost like a museum, and worth the visit by itself.  The movie room was particularly interesting where you can login to your Netflix account and project a movie on the large screen and even have the possibility to order a set dinner or lunch box.

IMG_5171.jpegIMG_5173.jpegIMG_5174.jpegIMG_5175.jpegIMG_5176.jpegIMG_5177.jpegIMG_5179.jpeg1_IMG_5196.jpeg1_IMG_5197.jpeg1_IMG_5200.jpeg

Dining

Breakfast was outdoors close to the river in an enjoyable venue to start the day.  The a la carte menu was quite good with a mix of western and Asian options including attractive and upscale protein dishes.  One evening we ordered cocktails at their seating area near the dock which is very nice, but the cocktails were quite weak and nowhere near the caliber of drinks at Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, or Waldorf Astoria.  In my opinion the bar is a point of improvement at The Siam.

1_IMG_5189.jpegIMG_5190.jpeg1_IMG_5191.jpegIMG_5193.jpeg1_IMG_5207.jpeg

Service

The service during our stay was very good and definitely more resort-style which means down to earth and relaxed.  Also the hotel being quite small it’s easier to be recognized by staff and the GM is quite visible and available to guests at all times so he sets the tone for the rest of the staff.  That said the service was not as top notch as some more formal 5-star hotels, for example at the restaurant staff did not remember choice of drinks, did not proactively offer refills, were sometimes off a bit regarding our orders, etc.  All of those minor issues can be features we tend to notice more often in resorts.  In contrast, at the top service-oriented hotels in Bangkok as soon as our plate is empty, staff usually immediately brings new cutlery, drinks are almost immediately refilled, etc.  At The Siam restaurant service was more reactive so we had to make requests to staff instead of them always being on top of guest needs.  

Gym

The gym was adequate with a decent number of machines but like the rest of the hotel not the newest and latest equipment.  However since the hotel is small, the upside was that I was alone at all times.  

1_IMG_5194.jpegIMG_5195.jpeg

Wifi

Wifi worked well but speeds were about 15 Mbps which is below average for Bangkok standards.  

Overall

Overall this hotel can be ideal for people looking for a small and private boutique hotel with a resort feeling and a sharp break from the ordinary, because of its charming historical rooms and beautiful common areas.  It is almost impossible to compare with more modern or renovated hotels elsewhere in the city who provide more traditional luxury rather than ‘antique’ luxury such as The Siam.  The most loyal guests at The Siam will certainly not consider alternatives in Bangkok to be suitable for them.  

The Siam Hotel Bangkok = Unique Resort in the City

Would you like to write a review on the The Siam?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Mar 7, 2021, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Thanks for the review even as it hurts some way to see what would have been in a normal December.
escape4 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by escape4
The Siam is an old hotel and the room is unmatched in terms of design with a very traditional and historical feeling rather than the modern design of many other luxury hotels.
Lovely review of one of my favorite hotels ever! Though I wonder, why would say The Siam is an old hotel? It opened in 2012 and was built from scratch. Compared to MOBKK, I'd say it's as new as it gets... Of course, the style is different from recent newcomers, such as FS, Waldorf and Capella.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 4:41 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by scented
Lovely review of one of my favorite hotels ever! Though I wonder, why would say The Siam is an old hotel? It opened in 2012 and was built from scratch. Compared to MOBKK, I'd say it's as new as it gets... Of course, the style is different from recent newcomers, such as FS, Waldorf and Capella.
Oops, poor choice of words on my part, my apologies I should have written "older" hotel not "old". It's older relative to the onslaught of new & shiny properties in Bangkok, three of which you mentioned, plus Park Hyatt, Sindhorn Kempinski, Kimpton, Rosewood, and to some extent 137 Pillars. Also MO being recently renovated gives it a fresh look unlike The Siam.

Given so much 'newness' in the city, I often think of The Siam and St.Regis as older than the other ones even though you are entirely correct that they are certainly not old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.