FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   The Siam Hotel, Bangkok (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1673040-siam-hotel-bangkok.html)

brooklynboy Sep 20, 2022 11:16 am

These messages are heartening. We booked a Pool Villa suite at the Siam using Noble Stay Vouchers, and with the 3 for 2 room rates at the MO Bangkok, I've been regretting my decision to not stay in a Mandarin or State Room instead. While I know the experiences aren't exactly comparable, I'm confident that we'll enjoy a nice stay at the Siam.

silverm0623 Jan 5, 2024 2:43 pm

Debating between staying here or the Four Seasons for our final night in Bangkok, both would be booked via travel advisors. Any opinions on which we should stay at, especially from those who have stayed at both? Siam would be about $200USD more and understood it would be more private than the FS. Staying with a friend and the Siam mentioned their Twin rooms are more "Hollywood Twin" while FS seem to be fully separate beds, so that's a positive on the FS. Thanks!

EuropeanPete Jan 5, 2024 3:53 pm

The Siam is at an entirely different level to the Four Seasons - I’d always strongly recommend it unless central location is highly important. The Four Seasons has the much better F&B, but it’s just a quick boat cruise away.

livefromtuscany Jan 5, 2024 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by silverm0623 (Post 35879982)
Debating between staying here or the Four Seasons for our final night in Bangkok, both would be booked via travel advisors. Any opinions on which we should stay at, especially from those who have stayed at both? Siam would be about $200USD more and understood it would be more private than the FS. Staying with a friend and the Siam mentioned their Twin rooms are more "Hollywood Twin" while FS seem to be fully separate beds, so that's a positive on the FS. Thanks!

Depends what you prefer. I like to stay in both. FS for views, location, F&B, and more action.

The Siam for serenity, relaxation, nicer pool area and rooms, and perfect service.

Aventine Jan 6, 2024 7:33 am

Originally Posted by silverm0623 (Post 35879982)

I'm sure the Siam can probably work out truly separate beds. Their service is just on another level vs FS.

escape4 Jan 6, 2024 7:59 am

Originally Posted by livefromtuscany (Post 35881167)
Depends what you prefer. I like to stay in both. FS for views, location, F&B, and more action.

The Siam for serenity, relaxation, nicer pool area and rooms, and perfect service.

FS is not even top 5 hotel in the city and should not be compared with Siam. If views and that particular location are important to any random guest, I would recommend Mandarin Oriental or Capella. FS cannot compete with these two. Except for the hotel bar which is great.

scented Jan 6, 2024 10:04 am

Originally Posted by escape4 (Post 35881869)
FS is not even top 5 hotel in the city and should not be compared with Siam. If views and that particular location are important to any random guest, I would recommend Mandarin Oriental or Capella. FS cannot compete with these two. Except for the hotel bar which is great.

Spot on...

livefromtuscany Jan 6, 2024 11:24 am

Originally Posted by escape4 (Post 35881869)

I’ve also stayed at Capella, it’s a beautiful hotel but service levels are not better than FS. Their rates at Siam-level are not justified IMHO

escape4 Jan 6, 2024 11:46 am

Originally Posted by livefromtuscany (Post 35882553)
I’ve also stayed at Capella, it’s a beautiful hotel but service levels are not better than FS. Their rates at Siam-level are not justified IMHO

I guess my experience differs. Capella is a hotel with 100 rooms, FS has 300 rooms. I saw clear differences in service levels and it should not be entirely surprising considering the size of each. In addition to service, when entering Capella you feel like you just entered a private space especially as they physically block access to wanderers on the right side and you need your key card. In contrast, FS is just like any other hotel with lots of day time visitors - it's busy. Siam is nothing of the sort, it has something like 40 rooms (?) so even more private than Capella. FS due to size alone is not in the conversation with Siam in my humble opinion.

Capella having Siam-level rates is justified by the fact that all rooms have river views, while at Siam they do not. Also Capella is a bit more centrally located and easier access to Icon Siam for instance. And if you ignore the first two room categories at FS which do not have river views (in order to compare like for like with Capella), then suddenly they are in the Siam range too. If Capella is not justified, then FS is even less so.

silverm0623 Jan 6, 2024 3:54 pm

Looks like we'll do the Siam then, thank you everyone! Will go to FS to visit the BKK Social Club one evening

Aventine Jan 6, 2024 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by livefromtuscany (Post 35882553)

It's their riverside views and pavilion splash pool suites. Unique in the city.

MattEvan Jan 6, 2024 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by silverm0623 (Post 35883480)
Looks like we'll do the Siam then, thank you everyone! Will go to FS to visit the BKK Social Club one evening

That bar is pure Instagram bait. Skip it. Go to an indie bar instead.

EuropeanPete Jan 7, 2024 12:51 am

Originally Posted by MattEvan (Post 35884119)

I’d disagree, for what it’s worth. Sure, the ambiance is impressive, but both the drinks and service are the best in Thailand, possibly Asia.

That said, the mini chain of bars around Soi Nana (the one in Chinatown) is incredible too, as is Vesper.

lost_in_translation Jan 7, 2024 3:26 am

Originally Posted by MattEvan (Post 35884119)

Agree with EuropeanPete , BKK Social Club is spectacularly good. Visited again last time I stayed at Capella and was warmly welcomed back by multiple members of staff - the last time I visited was over six months ago and I've never even stayed at the FS, so absolutely no way this was prompted. Cocktails are also mostly incredible, speak to the bartenders and they are understandably proud of the menu items they have created.

Aventine Jan 7, 2024 6:16 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 35884482)
I’d disagree, for what it’s worth. Sure, the ambiance is impressive, but both the drinks and service are the best in Thailand, possibly Asia.

That said, the mini chain of bars around Soi Nana (the one in Chinatown) is incredible too, as is Vesper.

Mr. Barta can certainly create bars.