Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Mediocre crowds at luxury hotels

Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pickles
Sartre put it best: L'enfer, c'est les autres.
^
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:16 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I've definitely felt like one of the mediocre guests at times and I avoid more glitzy/trendy places simply because I don't fit in.

I've noticed a difference in crowds between Marriot's and Four Seasons myself, and honestly I probably belong more in the former... but oh well, I'm in the splurge mode right now.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:20 am

Sartre put it best: L'enfer, c'est les autres.
I presume that for you this would be epitomized by the crowd at the Grand Hyatt Tokyo club lounge!
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: SPG GOLD
My expectations for a guest at a luxury hotel are my same expectations for proper behavior anywhere. Treat the staff and fellow guests with respect, maintain basic hygiene and mind your surroundings. You're not entitled to impair your fellow guests enjoyment of the property because you're paying $800/night+ because that's what your fellow guests are paying, or more.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:34 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Just remember that mediocre crowds is in the eye of the beholder. While I value a quiet intimate experience the next guy will bemoan that and want a crazy loud over the top one. That guy will also probably be able to buy and sell me 100x over.

Fdw
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I presume that for you this would be epitomized by the crowd at the Grand Hyatt Tokyo club lounge!
Indeed. It's as if Lucifer himself had taken a slice of his kingdom and moved it to the 10th floor of a building in Roppongi Hills.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:22 am

Indeed. It's as if Lucifer himself had taken a slice of his kingdom and moved it to the 10th floor of a building in Roppongi Hills.
The crowd at the bar on the sixth floor is pretty bad as well, perhaps the innermost circle of hell? That or breakfast at the "French Kitchen"...

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Apr 17, 2015 at 10:30 am
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:40 am
formerly gohima

For me, guests that keep to themselves and don't bother others are the perfect crowd. Also, basic manners and being polite to everyone, including hotel staff.

Sleazebags and hookers be damned, if you are not disturbing others, its none of my business..
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:15 pm

For me, two examples stand out:

At the Lanesborough, London, we were dining at the ** Michelin restaurant and made an effort to dress up little. Not a tie for me, but smart casual with Ferragamo flooring, And at the next table was a couple in T-shirts, shorts and sneakers drinking Coke.

At Anassa in Cyprus, a hotel we hated, at breakfast there were children playing football in the restaurant with balls literally landing in guests' plates. Their parents thought this was a huge joke. Sorry, we didn't.

HOWEVER, last month in Antigua, Guatemala, at the Meson de Maria, not a deluxe hotel, our neighbour in the next-door room was Stephen Fry.

Last edited by Pausanias; Apr 18, 2015 at 12:57 am
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by trickless
The implication is that money creates interesting and/or courteous people. My experience doesn't align with this theory. I'd argue there's little to no correlation.

This. I suppose I never did go all ga-ga over glitzy places that attract new money crowds in any event, having grown up in a different era and with entirely different values. When people (and places) have to scream at you how "money" they are, I run, run, run in an entirely different direction.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Pausanias

At the Lanesborough, London, we were dining at the ** Michelin restaurant and made an effort to dress up little. Not a tie for me, but smart casual with Ferragano flooring, And at the next table was a couple in T-shirts, shorts and sneakers drinking Coke.
Had the same experience during NY Restaurant Week. Went to Aureole (admittedly only one star Michelin) and there was a teenager at the adjacent table dressed in a t-shirt and shorts, who was rude to the waiter, and asked for apple juice in a wine glass!
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond

At the Lanesborough, London, we were dining at the ** Michelin restaurant and made an effort to dress up little. Not a tie for me, but smart casual with Ferragano flooring, And at the next table was a couple in T-shirts, shorts and sneakers drinking Coke.

At Anassa in Cyprus, a hotel we hated, at breakfast there were children playing football in the restaurant with balls literally landing in guests' plates. Their parents thought this was a huge joke. Sorry, we didn't.

HOWEVER, last month in Antigua, Guatemala, at the Meson de Maria, not a deluxe hotel, our neighbour in the next-door room was Stephen Fry.
I have to ask, what is it about drinking a Coke is so terrible? I don't drink and I often order a Coke, even at Michelin-starred restaurants, because I enjoy the taste. No, I'm not dressed in sneakers and t-shirts, but why throw in the Coke reference?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 12:52 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

I was at a restaurant one time and a family with a down-syndrome child came in and this elderly couple was aghast that they sat at the table nearby. I kept hearing them mutter and complain.

I'll take the partier with unruly kids over the grumbler any day.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
drinking Coke.
I often drink coke because I don´t drink alcohol. So this is no reason. T-shirt is so so....
Old Apr 17, 2015, 2:53 pm

I sometimes think that certain people have unrealistic expectations of luxury hotels.

I remember one occasion at the Sandy Lane Hotel in Barbados where I overheard an American woman complaining that there were actually families with children staying at the hotel and how she would never bring her own children to a luxury hotel.

I just felt sad for her children that this woman would go off to a luxury hotel and not bring her children along as well.

The kids I saw there certainly weren't badly behaved in any way, this woman was just genuinely shocked that people would bring their children to a luxury hotel.

It also shows that it pays to do your research as she was staying there in February during the British schools half term holidays and Barbados is a very popular destination during that week for wealthy British families - well at least the ones that aren't going off skiing anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.