Berlin Luxury Hotels

Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:50 am

Problem with Berlin hotels is that you ultimately have to pick one with the least problems.
richarddd and offerendum like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by sophialite
Das Stue was always my favorite hotel in Berlin, but the issue is the location kind of stinks. I was thinking of trying the Oranien in Kreuzberg next time.
Actually, I like the location of Das Stue. In the embassy district with a quiet residential feel, right next to Tiergarten for leasurely strolls either towards Brandenburg Gate or to Kudamm and Kadewe.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 2:37 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
Originally Posted by ngfan
Actually, I like the location of Das Stue. In the embassy district with a quiet residential feel, right next to Tiergarten for leasurely strolls either towards Brandenburg Gate or to Kudamm and Kadewe.
Yeah that's all pretty boring if you've done it all before (and KaDeWe is a department store--that's like visiting NYC to shop at Macy's). All the cool or fun stuff to do is in East Berlin.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by richarddd
Why are you not a big fan and what about the club level makes the RC interesting?

We're leaning toward the RC (Corner Deluxe Suite, renovated 2018) but I'm a bit worried about a certain lack of enthusiasm in this forum. Our stay is coming up in a few weeks, so I'm trying to make a final decision.
Big hotel with tourist groups, service often lacking, breakfast mediocre - was my experience last time. Club is at least more intimate with better service. Didn't stay at the renovated suites.
richarddd likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 6:26 am

We ended up at the Regent. The location was great (even if plentiful taxis make location less important). We had a superior suite, which had pleasant decor and was a very nice size and layout. The staff was almost uniformly friendly and helpful, with a smattering of minor exceptions. We enjoyed breakfast, which was tasty and plentiful. One glitch was that we got twin beds instead of the requested king. Reception said no other rooms were available for our entire stay and housekeeping said they couldn't combine the beds. We went out and, when we returned, we saw that they had figured out how to combine them.

All in all a very nice stay and we would certainly return.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:24 pm

I'm visiting Berlin for two nights in November and want to book through Amex FHR to take advantage of the 4 pm checkout. It's my first time in Berlin and my husband's second. He initially wanted to stay near the Kurfürstendamm, so I was looking at the Waldorf Astoria since I can earn HH points. However, after reading some of the FT posts -- and realizing I won't really be able to take full advantage of the FHR spa credit on a such a short stay -- think I'm leaning more towards Das Stue or Adlon. Adlon's location seems ideal for me as a first time visitor, but also worried about conferences or official visits coming to town. Das Stue looks super sleek and is a bit cheaper than Adlon for our dates, but the rooms look small and want to make sure the cool design doesn't sacrifice function.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by EmpressRouge
I'm visiting Berlin for two nights in November and want to book through Amex FHR to take advantage of the 4 pm checkout. It's my first time in Berlin and my husband's second. He initially wanted to stay near the Kurfürstendamm, so I was looking at the Waldorf Astoria since I can earn HH points. However, after reading some of the FT posts -- and realizing I won't really be able to take full advantage of the FHR spa credit on a such a short stay -- think I'm leaning more towards Das Stue or Adlon. Adlon's location seems ideal for me as a first time visitor, but also worried about conferences or official visits coming to town. Das Stue looks super sleek and is a bit cheaper than Adlon for our dates, but the rooms look small and want to make sure the cool design doesn't sacrifice function.
I don't think you can go wrong with either Das Stue or the Adlon, but they are very different hotels. I have logged over 150 nights at the Adlon and it is one of my favourite hotels. The location is either prime (if you want to stay in the area) or a pain (if you are mainly interested in the western parts of Berlin) but the facilities and service are excellent. You are unlikely to be impacted by a state visit unless it is a major country (ie Armenia is not going be noticed). I would say the same thing for conferences, though they do have the tendency to block the hallway to the back of the hotel, which is an annoying design flaw.

Das Stue feels like a country hotel by comparison. Quiet, leafy, opposite the Tiergarten and a small lake with restaurant. The bar is fantastic (best Negroni in Berlin) and the Spanish restaurant Cinque delicious. You'll need a taxi or bike to get you into the main part of West Berlin, or you could just walk ca 500m.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Is the Lagerfeld hotel in Grunewald still operationg?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:49 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by manstein58
It does NOT show up in the Travel-42 hotel database or on Sabre... so I assume it is closed or has a different name.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:56 pm
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by manstein58
it’s still operating. Now as Patrick Hellmann Schlosshotel.

Don’t ask me who Patrick Hellmann is or what his credentials are though.
offerendum likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 1:00 pm
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sophialite
Das Stue was always my favorite hotel in Berlin, but the issue is the location kind of stinks. I was thinking of trying the Oranien in Kreuzberg next time.
I am staying at the Orania right now, in a beautiful room overlooking the Square. The hotel is very nice. Good restaurant, efficient if a little informal service, almost everything a lux hotel should have.

No turndown service and no room service. The area is very very busy, lot of restaurants, bars and weird Berlin shops. So don’t stay there if you want a quiet night without any noise or sirens.

I knew what I was getting into so I really can’t complain. I like the concept, I like the room, I like the location.

Old Jun 8, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by livefromtuscany

Stayed there a couple of times in 2001-02. Nice place and secluded
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DavidO
It does NOT show up in the Travel-42 hotel database or on Sabre... so I assume it is closed or has a different name.
Originally Posted by livefromtuscany

Very much so. In fact, it is in my neighbourhood! It has not been a Lagergeld hotel for a long time. As livefromtuscany says, it is the Patrick Hellmann Schlosshotel. Patrick Hellmann is, for lack of a comparable, a Berlin-based cross between Ralph Lauren and Hugo Boss. The hotel has gone reasonably modern, and it has an excellent bar, where I spend many evenings!
Old Jan 26, 2022, 2:37 pm

Schlosshotel Berlin or Hotel de Rome

We're in need of a hotel in Berlin for a six night stay in July. After the usual research, I narrowed down the choice to either Schlosshotel Berlin by Patrick Hellmann (SHPH) or the Hotel de Rome. Admittedly, these are two radically different properties.

I love the SHPH's design and seemingly beautiful gardens. It just seems like such a wonderfully unique hotel. But I do not like it's remote Grunewald location.

On the other hand, Hotel de Rome is splendidly located. And the swimming pool looks fantastic. But the decor seems to be an homage to tacky 1990s design.

So we are torn. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
offerendum and FlyerEC like this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Vaterland
We're in need of a hotel in Berlin for a six night stay in July. After the usual research, I narrowed down the choice to either Schlosshotel Berlin by Patrick Hellmann (SHPH) or the Hotel de Rome. Admittedly, these are two radically different properties.

I love the SHPH's design and seemingly beautiful gardens. It just seems like such a wonderfully unique hotel. But I do not like it's remote Grunewald location.

On the other hand, Hotel de Rome is splendidly located. And the swimming pool looks fantastic. But the decor seems to be an homage to tacky 1990s design.

So we are torn. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
I could go on for hours. I've lived in Berlin and I've equally spent more hotel nights there than probably any other place.

You really have picked two outliers. If you want to explore Berlin as a tourist or are there for business reasons and will spend much of your time in Mitte you're better off in the Rome. If you are going to be around Ku'damm, the Schlosshotel is better.

I'm partial to the high-end residential neighborhood in Grunewald (I lived around the corner), but I understand the visitor might not want to be so isolated. I personally have never cared too much for the room decor of the Rome, but that may have been updated in the past few years, when I've only been in the public areas. The Schlosshotel on the other hand has quiet dark rooms (the old wood panelling seems to have been painted over in some of the suites.

Have you not considered the Adlon (my favourite in Berlin). Or Stue?

More info would help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.