Wiki Posts
Search

Tehran

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2015, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Havana makes my points for Iran. There are already a couple Accor hotels in Cuba (Mercure) with more coming this year and next. As a French company they aren't obliged to follow US regulations regarding Cuba or Iran. The current French government did join in on the Iran sanctions well after the US, but may very well drop the Iran sanctions before the US so Accor could be the first to attack the Iran market. So maybe a Sofitel Persepolis? Or would it be Ibis.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by stimpy
So maybe a Sofitel Persepolis? Or would it be Ibis.
I guess both
Old Jul 17, 2015, 5:43 am
Suspended

Before the armchair speculations about foreign countries get completely out of hand, have a look at the World Bank's tourism figures:

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/ST.INT.ARVL

Iran: 4.8 mio tourists p.a.

Cuba: 2.8 mio tourists p.a.

Just because the US regime restricts their own people's movements (to Cuba and Iran) doesn't mean that plenty of other (Western) tourists haven't been visiting these countries "en masse" all the time.

And North Korea is possibly comparable to Bhutan (ca. 100.000 visitors p.a. each; artificially controlled) but to put it in a pot with Iran is pure political propaganda.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...-tourists.html

Further political statements are not allowed on this "forum", but it would be worth brushing up your history on who toppled democratically elected governments in those countries.

P.S.: The Esteghlal Hotel was a Hilton, the Homa a Sheraton, and the Laleh an Interconti.

Last edited by LuxuryRogue; Jul 17, 2015 at 6:13 am
Old Jul 17, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Originally Posted by GUWonder
I know at least a couple dozen FTers have been to THR. And the number of Americans overall who have flown to THR seems to have been rising, if counting -- ironically in a way -- upon Pakistani officials' representations.

I expect Iran and Cuba are a sort of hot spot for tourism, and definitely not in a North Korean way.

From my family and friends who have visited Iran, they enjoyed their trips. I'm thinking of doing a ski trip to Iran at some point, which will add to the number of countries in which I've hit the ski slopes.

I see charter tour packages being sold to Iran and Cuba in widely circulated package tour guide brochures by private European operators. I don't see that happening for North Korea. Each and every year for the better part of the past several years, I've seen ski package tours to Iran being offered in European charter tour package brochures. Some must be buying them and some must be making money selling them if they keep advertising them like they do.

And the word is that alcohol and other drugs are not absent from the Iranian slopes, so that paints some kind of apres-ski picture (unlawful as I assume such consumption in the main to be there).

I'm curious to see how long it will be until Marriott or a Marriott-affiliated third party signs up for a hotel on the ground in THR.
I would love to visit, but I can still think of a couple of reasons why caution is in order for a while, at least for American citizens.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:36 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Despite a warning, this thread is not even close to staying on topic. I am closing it. If anyone has any actual, real recommendations on the best hotel in Tehran, please PM the mods and the thread will be re-opened.

Thanks,
RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.