Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Pre-Arrival Preferences Survey

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry
Hotel Pre-Arrival Preferences Survey

Has anyone ever heard of a lengthy pre-arrival preferences survey?

The other day, I overheard someone saying they stayed at a luxury hotel that requested she fill this out – it asked for things such as her preferred bed sheet color (I suspect this is a highly unusual request of a standard luxury hotel) and what kind of tea (earl grey / darjeeling) she'd prefer.

Granted, it appeared to be a special occasion stay, but it piqued my interest; unfortunately I was unable to get the name of the hotel, so I turn to FlyerTalk for possible answers.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:22 pm

Park Hyatt New York sent me one of those -- only to ignore just about everything noted.

These pre-arrival preferences surveys are relatively rare, better luxury hotels have the reservations department or a member of management reach out to the guest and just send a nice note.

It definitely depends on the room or suite you book. A regular room reservation will get less attention, whereas a Presidential Suite-type booking creates more buzz: usually the hotel will be in touch with that person's PA or travel manager to be aware of the likes or dislikes. The CEO of Nestle wouldn't want to see a fridge of VOSS water on arrival in his suite? It's crucial they know the ins and outs.
Many hotels have SOPs to google the names of new arrivals, should their guest profile not already have the necessary information (Park Hyatt and FS do that).

I'm sure someone else can chime and what the typical process is after the hotel's reservations department is notified of an important reservation?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

standard for some luxury properties

alila villas >

Originally Posted by Nivek
indicate our preferences (music, pillows, level of attention by the butler, etc) prior to check in? To give you an idea, you can click on the Alila Villas Uluwatu – Personal Preference Menu link to take a look. Go ahead and input a fake name/email address – nothing is saved until the form is submitted
Originally Posted by Musken
I have never seen something like this before, at least. Have been asked to fill in a form a couple of times, but this has been mainly about minibar content and not something I have done. Mainly I just write an email about preferences or talk to this, but this electronic book was just so nice and informatice that it is a pleasure to fill in.
Originally Posted by Musken
we cancelled our reservation at alila uluwatu
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
hmm, i see i hadnt actually looked at alila's yet. definitely interesting. ^
style of service, sounds like book preferences, 'local' food option, not just airport transfers but VIP.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Originally Posted by Ozchinois
If you choose Alila you must opt for the indulgent/pampering service as opposed to discreet.
Originally Posted by ngfan
I remembered that pre-arrival folio from my last stay
soneva is an example of a company that sends form via email

Originally Posted by KatW
Twin Farms has a lengthy pre-arrival survey and they most definitely use it to customize guest stay.
might be more common at luxury all-inclusive properties such as twin farms (twin farms is 20 rooms)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 2, 2015 at 1:49 pm
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:18 pm
Original Member

Twin Farms has a lengthy pre-arrival survey and they most definitely use it to customize guest stay.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by scented
Many hotels have SOPs to google the names of new arrivals, should their guest profile not already have the necessary information (Park Hyatt and FS do that).
Really
They should not do that or they may be confused. Short story:
Usually we book hotel stays with my name. But it happened in the past that Pierre made the reservation directly. When it was the case the arrival at the hotel was almost like a welcome 'ceremony' In 2012 the Dolder Grand in Zurich made a mistake which enlightened us. When they asked to confirm personal details, the information sheet they gave us was filled in with 'another Pierre' information. It is how we discovered that he has the same family name as a prominent CFO in a company making billions of revenue.
So for sure if they try to Google us they might expect a much bigger bill than the reality
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by KatW
That sounds like a lot of work.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:13 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Canyon Ranch does it, including (given the nature of the place) medical questions.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Canyon Ranch does it, including (given the nature of the place) medical questions.
That's a somewhat different situation.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
Really
Usually we book hotel stays with my name. But it happened in the past that Pierre made the reservation directly. When it was the case the arrival at the hotel was almost like a welcome 'ceremony' In 2012 the Dolder Grand in Zurich made a mistake which enlightened us. When they asked to confirm personal details, the information sheet they gave us was filled in with 'another Pierre' information. It is how we discovered that he has the same family name as a prominent CFO in a company making billions of revenue.
So for sure if they try to Google us they might expect a much bigger bill than the reality
Upper House HK does that, too.
They even go so far and customize aspects of the room according to possible likes in your Facebook profile, should they find one.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:40 am

I would always be booking under Pierre's name if that was the case

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
Really
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:52 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That sounds like a lot of work.
Other than breakfast which is outstanding, meals (also fabulous) are set so the survey ensures you aren't served something you can't or don't eat. It's a superb, exclusive resort for respite.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry
I figured the "what color would you like your bed sheets to be?" would jog someone's memory of a specific hotel, but perhaps it's either too specific to particular type of room or occasion (it was her honeymoon) or just not specific enough. The other clues were that it was a non-stop flight from JFK within a reasonable distance of a major airport in a non-English speaking country.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Is it really worth the time and effort to fill out these surveys?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
Shangri-la Manila sat me down for an "interview", staff filled the survey which included preferred drink, snacks, pillow firmness...etc.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 6:03 pm
Suspended

A lot of companies require these kind of things lately...but it leans more towards hotel & tour combo companies (Explora, for example, whereby you aren't supposed to show up without filling physical/dietary info...also includes more personal/hospitality info on form.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.