Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Trip report India: Amanbagh, Aman i Khas and Rambagh Palace

Trip report India: Amanbagh, Aman i Khas and Rambagh Palace

Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:38 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
What a wonderful report, Musken. It sounds like you loved Aman-i-Khas just as much as we did.

If I ever cross paths with you during your travels, I'd love to see some of your selfies. I am a new iPhone user and have a lot to learn. Do you use a selfie stick?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:43 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Ericka
What a wonderful report, Musken. It sounds like you loved Aman-i-Khas just as much as we did.

If I ever cross paths with you during your travels, I'd love to see some of your selfies. I am a new iPhone user and have a lot to learn. Do you use a selfie stick?
You've got email!

I do not have a selfie stick, but met someone who had one and that made me want to buy one.

Last edited by Musken; Mar 27, 2015 at 7:34 am
Old Mar 27, 2015, 7:26 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by farbster
What a nice report. Too bad that are no pictures, as I would love to see all the wonderful places you've visited.

I have to chalk India up as a trip to do with my next wife. We should organize a guys trip to India and let our wives go somewhere else. Why should one spouse suffer?
If there is anything in particular you want to see, I can upload some pics. Not my selfies, but anything else - as long as it is in my camera.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:36 am

So glad you enjoyed your India trip and that you experienced Amanbagh, which, I agree, is unique amongst Amans. Great reports!
Old Mar 28, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Thank you so much for this report!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:57 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am currently at Aman-i-khas, having been here for about 24 hours of a 3 night stay. Haven't tried the pool, and our package doesn't seem to include alcohol but other than that, it is so far pretty much trackng Musken's report in post #2 . Done one safari, a regular group one where it turned out there were only 2 folks total in the jeep (other than the guide and driver). Tomorrow morning doing Ranthambore fort and then another safari in the afternoon.

A bit of the tent layout is slightly odd but easy to get used to. Contrary to what someone noted in another thread, the a/c unit also does heating if you set it high enough. Also, contrary to that same post in the other thread, the whole batman thing is working out very well. Food has been fine but not memorable.

One thing to note about the safaris is that they mention that the standard half day ones are restricted to one zone whereas the private half or full day ones have no restrictions. Don't worry about this at all. Each zone is huge and you will only cover a tiny fraction of it in a single safari. There is absolutely no reason to pay for anything beyond the standard. I did two standard safaris and saw a tiger on each one. The first time, though, the vast majority of the view was hogged by large safari trucks that each contained 20+ seats and refused to move to give others a chance. The second time, our guide cleverly picked a zone that is currently not allowing trucks and it was much better, the jeeps were all polite and everyone got a great look from just a few meters.

This is the smallest Amanresort, with only 10 tents. One surprising fact is that when they close for the season, they take down all the tents and remove all the furniture, leaving only the foundation, supports, and utilities. They are then repaired as necessary and rebuilt from scratch before the start of the next season. Wow, what a lot of work!

Enjoyed my stay very much.
obscure2k and bhrubin like this.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Nov 5, 2018 at 6:11 am
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

great to hear!
(and hope bagh is good)

two can be 8-room >
- amankora gangtey (one of five aman locations in bhutan)
- villa milocer during winter closure of aman sveti stefan island

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 3, 2018 at 6:11 pm
Old Nov 3, 2018, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Am currently at Aman-i-khas, having been here for about 24 hours of a 3 night stay. Haven't tried the pool, and our package doesn't seem to include alcohol but other than that, it is so far pretty much trackng Musken's report in post . Done one safari, a regular group one where it turned out there were only 2 folks total in the jeep (other than the guide and driver). Tomorrow morning doing Ranthambore fort and then another safari in the afternoon.

So far, enjoying my stay very much.
Did you stay/will you be staying at Amanbagh on your trip? I enjoyed my stay at i-khas, but loved bagh even more! With both properties, though, I found the best part was the excursions during the day. Enjoy Ranthambore Fort tomorrow!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by MicSanToro
Did you stay/will you be staying at Amanbagh on your trip? I enjoyed my stay at i-khas, but loved bagh even more! With both properties, though, I found the best part was the excursions during the day. Enjoy Ranthambore Fort tomorrow!
Yes, headed there next.
MicSanToro likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:15 pm
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Enjoy your trip. So glad to hear that you are having a wonderful time.

For the safari and zone restrictions: It is true that each zone is very large and that you can see a lot within one zone. However, if your target is to see the tigers, it might be a huge advantage if the ranger can choose zones freely because he might have seen tigers in a certain zone earlier same day or might hear rumours of where tigers can be seen at the moment, thus changing to a certain zone can be good.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Musken
Enjoy your trip. So glad to hear that you are having a wonderful time.

For the safari and zone restrictions: It is true that each zone is very large and that you can see a lot within one zone. However, if your target is to see the tigers, it might be a huge advantage if the ranger can choose zones freely because he might have seen tigers in a certain zone earlier same day or might hear rumours of where tigers can be seen at the moment, thus changing to a certain zone can be good.
The park now has twice as many tigers as it did when you visited, so maybe that's why I was 2 for 2 and the added flexibility is less critical. Or maybe I was just lucky!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:16 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
@RichardInSF I am dying to see your photos of the tigers and this property. We didn’t think it was worthwhile last Jan 2017...but your success is making me wonder if we might include Aman-I-khas on our next trip to India. So glad you’re having such good luck!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:46 pm
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Some of my tiger photos in the meantime. First and last one taken with my mobile phone. Other two with proper camera. Tiger was really close in the end, walked in between two jeeps. Fantastic experience.
offerendum, bhrubin and MacMyDay like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:59 pm
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The park now has twice as many tigers as it did when you visited, so maybe that's why I was 2 for 2 and the added flexibility is less critical. Or maybe I was just lucky!
You were lucky, as were we. Friends of us visited beginning of October and did not see tigers at all.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:00 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Thanks @Musken for the tiger photos. Truly amazing. Tigers and polar bears are our last bucket list animals to see on land.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.