Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

the luxury hotels of Napa and Sonoma counties | California Wine Country

the luxury hotels of Napa and Sonoma counties | California Wine Country

Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:33 am

I've stayed four times now at the Alcobas. All on points so may not be the same experience for the typical suite purchaser in this forum. But FWIW...

I've warmed up to the rooms vs my original post on the LA master thread. Still a couple annoying things like light switch placement, but truly quibbles. At a macro level the hard product is great. spacious rooms, great shower and toiletries, and a very relaxing patio with firepit. Know that there are three types of rooms. The vineyard-facing rooms, the "creek" or "winery" facing rooms which really face the beringer parking lot and a few that can be quite close to highway 29, and the rooms in the main house, which i've not seen but pictures suggest not all have outdoor space let alone the fire pits. Pool is fine but somewhat self serve. There are waiters for food and drink though.

I still find the soft product a bit off. They try but it's just not quite there. The "front desk" is in a little hut adjoining the main house. Not an issue for check in as they just bring you to the room. But checkout can be a bit cramped. Not well thought out. Breakfast is tasty and on the website the continental breakfast is included on virtually all rates but the staff sometimes thinks otherwise and I have to pull out my confirmation to show that it is in fact included in reservation rate. There is a shuttle service. We called one night to get picked up in downtown St. Helena after dinner and were denied at 9:50 because the driver stops at 10:00. I understand 10:00 is 10:00 but feel other properties would have been fine with finishing at 10:05. No other real blatant call-outs, but all four times i have left with the sense that this is not firing on all cylinders like I have experienced at similarly priced properties such as the St Regis aspen or the Park Hyatt Paris. I've not tried the concierge.

I do like that it is walking distance to main st. in St. Helena, which i enjoy more than downtown Yountville (other than better restaurants in Yountville, but that is what uber is for). It has a more local and accessible vibe.

Bottom line is it's a great hotel but i feel overpriced for what it is, driven by the relative lack of competition vs. demand for high end properties in the heart of the valley floor. If your focus is on location and hard product you'll be satisfied. If you are prioritizing check in to check out pampering and over the top service like the christmas tree installation upthread, be prepared you might be disappointed.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:27 am

Thank you for sharing your experiences.... That really help.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:32 am

Planning a visit to SF/Napa, and I'm torn between Auberge du Soleil and Bardessono. Reading this thread it sounds like Auberge has the best view, but Bardessono is in a better location. I've only visited Napa Valley from SF for day trips before, and this will be first overnight stay (4 nights). Would love for the FT experts to weigh in on which property is a better choice for a newbie.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:35 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Auberge du Soleil has a resort feel out in the countryside, in the midst of vineyards, a great view of the valley but you have to drive to go elsewhere.

Bardessono will feel like a hotel in the village of Yountville, easy walking into town.

Originally Posted by jbeans
Planning a visit to SF/Napa, and I'm torn between Auberge du Soleil and Bardessono. Reading this thread it sounds like Auberge has the best view, but Bardessono is in a better location. I've only visited Napa Valley from SF for day trips before, and this will be first overnight stay (4 nights). Would love for the FT experts to weigh in on which property is a better choice for a newbie.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:37 am

Thanks! We don't plan on driving, is it common to Uber/Lyft to vineyards and restaurants in that area? If that's easy to do, then maybe we don't need to put as much emphasis on location.

Originally Posted by DavidO
Auberge du Soleil has a resort feel out in the countryside, in the midst of vineyards, a great view of the valley but you have to drive to go elsewhere.

Bardessono will feel like a hotel in the village of Yountville, easy walking into town.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:56 am
Original Member

Auberge du Soleil hands down. Lyft and Uber easy and convenient.
DJ_Iceman and jbeans like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:23 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
What did you pick? We’ve stayed at both and enjoyed both for different reasons and with different priorities.

Also, any recent stays at Calistoga Ranch that anyone can share?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

What did you pick? We’ve stayed at both and enjoyed both for different reasons and with different priorities.

Also, any recent stays at Calistoga Ranch that anyone can share?
We actually ended up booking a vineyard view deluxe room at Las Alcobas instead. Pre-merge SPG had a 4th night free promo and I jumped on it. We'll be going to Auberge for Sunday brunch thanks to your suggestion! I also liked that Las Alcobas is super close to Meadowood which we'll be going for dinner during stay.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:17 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

We actually ended up booking a vineyard view deluxe room at Las Alcobas instead. Pre-merge SPG had a 4th night free promo and I jumped on it. We'll be going to Auberge for Sunday brunch thanks to your suggestion! I also liked that Las Alcobas is super close to Meadowood which we'll be going for dinner during stay.
We will be dining at Las Alcobas during our stay, but couldn’t stay at the hotel with our dog, unfortunately—not even my Ambassador status could get us a waiver. We also will be dining (for our 3rd time) at Meadowood!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:28 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Thanks! We don't plan on driving, is it common to Uber/Lyft to vineyards and restaurants in that area?
Yes, very much so. The longest wait I've had for an Uber in Napa area was 15 mins and that was very late at night.
jbeans likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:12 am

Californians might be interested in reading Andy Hayler's brand-new review of Single Thread, recently elevated to three-star status in the Michelin Guide. - https://www.andyhayler.com/restaurant/single-thread
Old May 22, 2019, 9:19 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Californians might be interested in reading Andy Hayler's brand-new review of Single Thread, recently elevated to three-star status in the Michelin Guide. - https://www.andyhayler.com/restaurant/single-thread
We ate there a couple weeks ago. The restaurant is now open for midday meals on Sunday for the summer. I think they are open midday on Saturday all year. I enjoy a midday meal when it is as extensive as this one. I can relax and savor each course, taking all the time I want. What I found particularly enjoyable were the non alcoholic pairings. This is very rare in the United States and were very innovative. We spoke to the young Korean woman responsible for this. A great deal of effort goes into creating them and into choosing the right vessel from which to enjoy them.

Old May 22, 2019, 6:15 pm

So glad to see restaurants using Kimura glasses (1st and 5th pic) outside of Japan!
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We ate there a couple weeks ago. The restaurant is now open for midday meals on Sunday for the summer. I think they are open midday on Saturday all year. I enjoy a midday meal when it is as extensive as this one. I can relax and savor each course, taking all the time I want. What I found particularly enjoyable were the non alcoholic pairings. This is very rare in the United States and were very innovative. We spoke to the young Korean woman responsible for this. A great deal of effort goes into creating them and into choosing the right vessel from which to enjoy them.

Last edited by newfrequent; May 23, 2019 at 11:16 am
Old May 24, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Love Single Thread Restaurant. Have been a number of times and it’s always been top notch. We stayed in the hotel once and it’s nice - only a small number of rooms - but they have raised the prices of the rooms quite a bit and I’m not convinced they are now worth it. If staying for one night and doing dinner I think perfect. But if staying for a few nights not sure the room worth the price. Not many other options and it’s the best in town but I honestly don’t think the rooms are that much better. Great for the dinner and overnight stay experience which we did, but we live in SF so easy! Restaurant one of the absolute best! Hotel for 1, maybe 2 nights fun. For longer I’m not sure it’s that much better than some alternatives in the area. Just my opinion! And the hotel is the best, just not that much better unless part of the restaurant experience!
instyleprincess and JCary like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:13 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

I had an amazing dinner at SingleThread in Nov 2018 and was able to tour the rooms and suites at the attached inn. Very nice and well appointed, but not at all worth the premium charged to my mind. We want to return to SingleThread for dinner in Nov 2019, but we'll try the Farmhouse Inn instead for accommodation.

We had a really great stay at Calistoga Ranch in May 2019, marred only by the terrible restaurant breakfast. Otherwise, we really loved the property. Review: https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ry-issues-3282

We had a nice dinner at Acacia House at Las Alcobas hotel in May 2019. Took a look at the LA property and was impressed. Review:: https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...s-alcobas-3283
instyleprincess likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.