Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Anyone set to try new Baccarat NYC soon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Looks impressive in photos
Old Feb 24, 2015, 4:38 pm

The interesting question for me is -- which management company is behind Baccarat?
The design is stunning and tasteful for sure, but service and management will make all the difference. I'm very curious to see if it will be another cookie cutter high end hotel a la Armani or Bulgari, which both suffer from over-branding to some extent. Do we really want to stay in the pages of Elle Decoration?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by scented
The interesting question for me is -- which management company is behind Baccarat?
The design is stunning and tasteful for sure, but service and management will make all the difference. I'm very curious to see if it will be another cookie cutter high end hotel a la Armani or Bulgari, which both suffer from over-branding to some extent. Do we really want to stay in the pages of Elle Decoration?
Remember Barry Sternlicht? When he left Starwood, he formed Starwood Capital and brought in ex-Four Seasons VP, Neil Jacobs to head up development and ops. One of the brands they created was Baccarat, but it took years for anything to come to fruition.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
The hotel has already been sold to the Chinese.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by wripro
The hotel has already been sold to the Chinese.
I know - well, Barry Sternlicht was always a property man first and foremost. But ownership does not necessarily mean management...
Old Feb 25, 2015, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Remember Barry Sternlicht? When he left Starwood, he formed Starwood Capital and brought in ex-Four Seasons VP, Neil Jacobs to head up development and ops. One of the brands they created was Baccarat, but it took years for anything to come to fruition.

I know - well, Barry Sternlicht was always a property man first and foremost. But ownership does not necessarily mean management...
Didn't know that. Interesting. Sounds very promising indeed then!
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
I agree.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 12:18 pm

Didn't know that. Interesting. Sounds very promising indeed then!
Could be, but then Neil Jacobs left Starwood Capital a while back and is now CEO of Six Senses, but he was very involved in the development of the brand. However, the most important thing is who is GM and who hired the staff and how did they do it. If they just left it to headhunters then it could be a problem. If they hand-picked, then it could be interesting.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
It looks like a very nice property. It would be even better a few blocks farther north.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:48 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Do we know who the GM is?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by NYBanker
Do we know who the GM is?
Andrew Turner - ex Anantara Phuket etc, ex-Capella. ex-Ritz-Carlton.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Andrew Turner - ex Anantara Phuket etc, ex-Capella. ex-Ritz-Carlton.
Anyone familiar with his work? Really curious to try this hotel this summer
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:09 pm

Hopefully this hotel can bring a breath of fresh air into the NYC hotel market and accomplish what Park Hyatt NY set out to do -- with hopefully better results, as that ended up in a big fiasco.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Hopefully this hotel can bring a breath of fresh air into the NYC hotel market and accomplish what Park Hyatt NY set out to do -- with hopefully better results, as that ended up in a big fiasco.
Sorry- missed that- what happened with the Park Hyatt?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by off2rome
Sorry- missed that- what happened with the Park Hyatt?
PHNY has an identity crisis. They were - of course - aiming at the high end travelers and HNWIs, but with no view to speak of and lacking service, that's not going too well. Guests of Hyatt's loyalty program Gold Passport are disgruntled by the property's current policies regarding upgrades and overall treatment, because they're not the preferred clientele of the hotel at this stage. Add management problems and a PR disaster and you'll get the idea. I won't go into details as this is not the main focus of this thread, but read a few reviews in the Hyatt section if you're interested - it's revealing. I know Yabu Pushelberg is somewhat popular on this forum, but ever since I stayed in a suite at FS Toronto I really don't understand why any hospitality corporation would have them do the job. Hotels aren't fashion boutiques.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.