Wiki Posts
Search

Report: The Ritz-Carlton Georgetown, Washington DC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:57 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

The Ritz-Carlton, Georgetown, Washington D.C.

3100 South St, NW Washington, DC US 20007

Report: The Ritz-Carlton Georgetown, Washington DC (0 Photo)

The Ritz-Carlton, Georgetown, Washington D.C.

Just returned from a one-night stay here, and wanted to share some impressions of the hotel.

Check In

We arrived by car, and the friendly door staff immediately came up and helped us out. They walked us inside to the check-in desk and gave our name to the FDA, who was efficient but welcoming.

The property amenities and our benefits were explained thoroughly. We booked through FHR, as I wanted the guaranteed 4PM checkout, and we also had plans for all of our meals, so the Virtuoso F&B credit was less useful to us than the FHR property credit, which we used to cover parking.

He then passed us off to another employee who walked us up to our suite. The whole process was warm and professional.

The property itself is very cozy. With only 86 rooms, theres no big front desk; its just two office desks in the corner of a nice lobby full of couches and a fireplace. In the evenings, a chef from the hotel restaurant sets up a station in the lobby and cooks warm (complimentary) smores for the crowd.

The lobby, I thought, was the highlight of the property. You can also get bar and restaurant service at the small tables in the lobby, which we opted for when we had drinks in the evening, and again for breakfast the next morning. We found the ambience there much nicer than in the restaurant itself.

The building is an older one that used to house an incinerator. Thats both a plus -- much of the interior and exterior have a unique feel about them, including the 140-foot smokestack that runs up from the lobby fireplace -- and a minus, as the heating isnt great throughout the building. The hallways and lobby were pretty cold, except for areas right next to heating vents.

Room

We booked the highest level regular room and were upgraded to a one bedroom suite. The suite was a great size, but I thought it lacked the warmth and homey feeling Id hope for from a luxury hotel.

Elegant to be sure, but a bit sterile and stiff (though not as overly ornate as I think many other RC properties try to be). I know many love this property, so Ill chalk this up to my personal taste, but I prefer the aesthetic (though not the location) of the Park Hyatt down the street.

There was a half-bath by the entryway:

I think the best views in Georgetown are of the Potomac, but our view of the Grace Episcopal Church was pleasant to look at with snow on the ground:

The bathroom was big:

Though honestly -- and I recognize the absurdity of this complaint -- the shower was too big:

It was more than big enough for one (or two), yet had only a single wall nozzle. IMO, this is a big wasted opportunity for a rainshower or dual showerheads. As it was, the size just seemed odd; like they couldnt figure out how to fill that space.

Service

All of the staff that we encountered were good to great, especially the front desk manager, who checked in with us throughout our short stay to make sure that everything was to our liking. Folks remembered our names and where we were going to dinner, and asked us how it was the next day.

On a sidenote, the complimentary shoe shine I got here was probably the best Ive ever received from a hotel.

Im a big fan of the Georgetown location of this hotel, though part of that is nostalgia, as my first job after college was on the same block. Its a great base for Georgetown, though probably not for a first time sightseeing trip to DC. The Metro doesnt run out here, though Uber is readily available and picked us up within three minutes both times we used it.

Its worth noting, if this location appeals to you, that the Capella is on the same block, and the Four Seasons is a few short blocks away.

Dining

The hotel restaurant is Degrees. We had drinks from the bar in the evening, and breakfast the next morning.

My Manhattan was terrific, and breakfast was very good as well. Nothing particularly memorable, but very good nonetheless.

With so many fantastic restaurants in DC, I dont think Id choose to have dinner at Degrees; its ambience is nothing special, and the food didnt look that great either.

Overall

Im not generally a huge fan of the RC brand, though this hotel is unique, and a very solid choice in DC. The highlight is the property itself, especially the lobby. The entry-level suites are spacious, though the aesthetic of the room itself didnt feel like anything special. Service was strong.

In the future, I'll probably just price-shop between this hotel and the Park Hyatt.

Would you like to write a review on the The Ritz-Carlton, Georgetown, Washington D.C.?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.