Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are luxury hotels for everyone?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: SQ PPS/ *A Gold
Originally Posted by heronb
Another airbnb novice here, and I must say it looks to be an interesting accomodation resource.
It is. The key is to NEVER pick the ones without a good number of positive reviews, no matter how enticing the photos look. On a site like airbnb, without the usual consumer protection you'd have with a hotel brand/company, user feedback is everything. Only go for the ones which get good reviews.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by leigh787
The key is to NEVER pick the ones without a good number of positive reviews, no matter how enticing the photos look.
Agreed - however, my complaint with airbnb, and for that matter, HomeAway, is that because there's often an interaction with an actual owner, reviews can be skewed to the positive. It's harder for one to leave a more honest review once that personal connection has occurred.

Now, an off-site review on FT might be just the thing to bring a touch of honesty.. idea for a new subforum?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:00 pm
Original Member

Indeed, airbnb has no place in a discussion devoted to luxury hotels.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:26 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
[QUOTE=trickless;24169747] It's harder for one to leave a more honest review once that personal connection has occurred./QUOTE]

So true! Currently on extended tour of New Zealand and writing TripAdvisor reviews. Very difficult to slam a property so deserving a slam after personal connection has been made.

I see this over and over on TA, and do it myself.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by dieuwer2

When I think of Luxury hotels, I see smartly dressed guys in suits and women in cocktail dresses. Bell man in costume and guards everywhere.
Not really my over all experience with luxury Hotels

Originally Posted by aa213bb
I'd bet this may also be a "Generational" thing.
Don´t think so. It totally depends on the person. People stay at hostels with 68 and some stay in luxury hotels with 20. So I meet people of all ages at luxury Hotels but of course for many in young people (i.e. during University/ training) it´s simply a monetary issue.

Originally Posted by leigh787
Yes, that's what I meant. peers = "people around my age". For more context, we're also talking young lawyers, bankers, consultants, etc...
I´m getting old as a 35 years old lawyer

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I might be a bit of an outlier, but I started staying regularly at luxury hotels at a very young age (early 20s), and to this day many of my peers do not stay in the same hotels that I do.

I think it depends on the person.
Have to agree. I started in my very early life with my parents and booked luxury Hotels by myself in the early 20s. I can`t really imagain anything else.

Last edited by offerendum; Jan 15, 2015 at 3:30 am
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Baghoarder
Definitely horses for courses as @Leigh787 says. ....there's a world of difference between "service" and "subservience". A true luxury hotel knows the difference.
Very well said!
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I like things in the middle. I don't use my hotel too much on a trip but I'm not a "just to sleep" kind of guy. However, I'm also unlikely to eat at the hotel except breakfast or use the bar. Plus, as others have said I'm not interested in spa or pool services.

For me, a luxury hotel is a great place to go for a drink or maybe a meal. But for my nights, I'm okay with a Hilton/Marriott type property.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:39 pm

I will say that I think there are more people that think it's not for them when in reality it would be. I mean, of course there are a lot of people who simply have never had the means and would enjoy it, but I mean even if they can afford it, simply don't care or haven't stayed at the right one. When I was studying in France, the girl I was living with also wanted to see Florence (I had been once and wanted to return) and charged her a nominal fee for sharing a room at the Four Seasons. She wanted to stay somewhere cheaper, but when I told her I was taking on a lot of the cost, she conceded when I mentioned free breakfast. Anyway, she was so curious as to why I cared about luxury hotels so much and thought I was crazy for spending the money. Then, when we got there, she started to warm up to the idea. By the next morning after sleeping in those beds and having the room service breakfast, she really started to love the idea. She still thought I was kind of crazy, but appreciated it. We shared a 350sqft apartment in Nice where I was on an upper floor and she was downstairs, but with no barrier in between. When we got to the front door I said "Well, back to reality. It's going to be hard to adjust." She shrugged it off and thought I was being dramatic. Later that night when she went to bed she yelled up "Ughh you were right. I miss the FS. These sheets are so scratchy." To this day she still thinks I'm crazy, but you can reason all you want about spending a lot at a hotel, but once you've tasted it, your bar is forever raised. Just my $0.02
Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:23 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
Originally Posted by fourseasonsguy1
I will say that I think there are more people that think it's not for them when in reality it would be. I mean, of course there are a lot of people who simply have never had the means and would enjoy it, but I mean even if they can afford it, simply don't care or haven't stayed at the right one. When I was studying in France, the girl I was living with also wanted to see Florence (I had been once and wanted to return) and charged her a nominal fee for sharing a room at the Four Seasons. She wanted to stay somewhere cheaper, but when I told her I was taking on a lot of the cost, she conceded when I mentioned free breakfast. Anyway, she was so curious as to why I cared about luxury hotels so much and thought I was crazy for spending the money. Then, when we got there, she started to warm up to the idea. By the next morning after sleeping in those beds and having the room service breakfast, she really started to love the idea. She still thought I was kind of crazy, but appreciated it. We shared a 350sqft apartment in Nice where I was on an upper floor and she was downstairs, but with no barrier in between. When we got to the front door I said "Well, back to reality. It's going to be hard to adjust." She shrugged it off and thought I was being dramatic. Later that night when she went to bed she yelled up "Ughh you were right. I miss the FS. These sheets are so scratchy." To this day she still thinks I'm crazy, but you can reason all you want about spending a lot at a hotel, but once you've tasted it, your bar is forever raised. Just my $0.02
Very well put- it does spoil you. 10 years ago I booked a hotel by Lake Garda with NO AIRCONDITIONING.. we hardly slept as it was so hot but had a great time until the end of the holiday when we both got very grumpy through lack of sleep. I now am fortunate enough to frequent luxury hotels and sadly I would prefer to stay at home than endure that Lake Garda hotel again. Once you are spoiled, there is no going back!

having said that I do believe there are some unrated boutique bed and breakfasts that offer wonderful rooms and service that are different from 5* but none the less I would still stay in them again even though they dont have the bells and whistles, so you dont always have to be hugely rich to enjoy 5* bespoke luxury ... you just need to do your research properly!

Last edited by CanfordCliffs; Jan 16, 2015 at 4:24 am Reason: mistake
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by ridefar
Oh my. You must have a cardiac arrest when flying North American airlines. Evian? They couldn't even spell it.
AA used to serve Evian on tatl up to few years ago..
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

OP here with a brief update. Took some of the advice in the thread (from...more than 3 years ago. Time flies). Have stayed in a decent number of hotels which plausibly might count as luxury to the folks here (Amarvilas Agra, Leela Palace New Delhi, Park Hyatt St Kitts, Shangri-La Tokyo, Beacon XV, Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam, Waldorf Astoria Roosevelt NO) plus a few that I found comparable given their location (Hotel Icon HK club floor, H15 Warsaw, Hotel Cubo Ljubljana). I stopped by a few others for meals and a visit, including Fogo Island Inn, Jade Mountain, Amangella. As a luxury hotel skeptic, here are my thoughts after this little experiment:

1a) A few were fantastic. The location, service, and hard product at the Waldorf in Amsterdam was incredible. The same was true of Amarvilas. Next best, honestly, were Icon and H15, even if they aren't usually as well-regarded as some other properties. Loved the Shangri-La Tokyo. Would gladly go back to any of these. Fogo Island is a beautiful building but the price makes no sense given that you can stay on the island and eat at the hotel for 80% less money. Same is true of Jade Mountain.
1b) At the price many of these places charge, they should all be fantastic. They weren't.
1c) The best room at a smaller, very-well-reviewed place is often far, far superior to what I was getting at a higher price at the luxury hotels.
2) I essentially never used the spa service, or concierge, or room service at any of these. Things like transfers and tours often struck me as exorbitantly priced, and the staff often seemed completely unaware of the type of basic local travel information that a decent hostel front desk would know.
3) I did notice, and greatly appreciate, that these hotels usually get basic creature comforts right: fewer mosquitoes on the beach, high-quality bathrooms and mattresses, etc.
4) My baseline for a "great hotel" are small, place-oriented, very friendly, top location hotels, whose rooms are more interesting in some way that my own apartment. I'm thinking of places like the 21c mini-chain, the Red Tree House in Mexico City, the Michelberger in Berlin, traditional mansion B&Bs in places like Natchez, some particularly well-designed Kimptons, the Standard in NYC, and so on. In general, I think I still prefer these to the so-called luxury hotels. The front desk recognized me whenever I came in, local events were promoted, things were organized without any attempt to upsell to hotel-linked services, great contemporary art was often displayed, interaction with other guests was much more frequent, etc.
5) In a number of hotels, I felt as if I was paying to be in a location that isn't even that interesting. There are the hip neighborhoods, then there are the rich neighborhoods. They are rarely the same.
6) The luxury hotel value strikes me as much higher in more remote places, where high-quality food is tougher to come by, or in hotels located in particularly important historic buildings. I can't imagine, say, ordering room service while visiting a new city in any reasonably high quality food destination.
7) Large luxury hotels, like large hotels in general, are of no interest to me: see the Roosevelt New Orleans. The Park Hyatt St Kitts fit this mold. Perhaps the standard I am looking for is, the service and quality of staying on the estate of a spectacularly wealthy yet fun friend. It is surprising how difficult this is to find.
8) If you are born with the "don't waste money" gene, it is tough to shake. I am lucky enough to be able to afford nice hotels now, but it still comes close to ruining a vacation to feel like I've gotten a bad deal.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:58 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by kevincure
OP here with a brief update. Took some of the advice in the thread (from...more than 3 years ago. Time flies). Have stayed in a decent number of hotels which plausibly might count as luxury to the folks here (Amarvilas Agra, Leela Palace New Delhi, Park Hyatt St Kitts, Shangri-La Tokyo, Beacon XV, Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam, Waldorf Astoria Roosevelt NO) plus a few that I found comparable given their location (Hotel Icon HK club floor, H15 Warsaw, Hotel Cubo Ljubljana). I stopped by a few others for meals and a visit, including Fogo Island Inn, Jade Mountain, Amangella. As a luxury hotel skeptic, here are my thoughts after this little experiment:

1a) A few were fantastic. The location, service, and hard product at the Waldorf in Amsterdam was incredible. The same was true of Amarvilas. Next best, honestly, were Icon and H15, even if they aren't usually as well-regarded as some other properties. Loved the Shangri-La Tokyo. Would gladly go back to any of these. Fogo Island is a beautiful building but the price makes no sense given that you can stay on the island and eat at the hotel for 80% less money. Same is true of Jade Mountain.
1b) At the price many of these places charge, they should all be fantastic. They weren't.
1c) The best room at a smaller, very-well-reviewed place is often far, far superior to what I was getting at a higher price at the luxury hotels.
2) I essentially never used the spa service, or concierge, or room service at any of these. Things like transfers and tours often struck me as exorbitantly priced, and the staff often seemed completely unaware of the type of basic local travel information that a decent hostel front desk would know.
3) I did notice, and greatly appreciate, that these hotels usually get basic creature comforts right: fewer mosquitoes on the beach, high-quality bathrooms and mattresses, etc.
4) My baseline for a "great hotel" are small, place-oriented, very friendly, top location hotels, whose rooms are more interesting in some way that my own apartment. I'm thinking of places like the 21c mini-chain, the Red Tree House in Mexico City, the Michelberger in Berlin, traditional mansion B&Bs in places like Natchez, some particularly well-designed Kimptons, the Standard in NYC, and so on. In general, I think I still prefer these to the so-called luxury hotels. The front desk recognized me whenever I came in, local events were promoted, things were organized without any attempt to upsell to hotel-linked services, great contemporary art was often displayed, interaction with other guests was much more frequent, etc.
5) In a number of hotels, I felt as if I was paying to be in a location that isn't even that interesting. There are the hip neighborhoods, then there are the rich neighborhoods. They are rarely the same.
6) The luxury hotel value strikes me as much higher in more remote places, where high-quality food is tougher to come by, or in hotels located in particularly important historic buildings. I can't imagine, say, ordering room service while visiting a new city in any reasonably high quality food destination.
7) Large luxury hotels, like large hotels in general, are of no interest to me: see the Roosevelt New Orleans. The Park Hyatt St Kitts fit this mold. Perhaps the standard I am looking for is, the service and quality of staying on the estate of a spectacularly wealthy yet fun friend. It is surprising how difficult this is to find.
8) If you are born with the "don't waste money" gene, it is tough to shake. I am lucky enough to be able to afford nice hotels now, but it still comes close to ruining a vacation to feel like I've gotten a bad deal.
A few thoughts:
- Surely for a fair experiment you'd have to do a range of hotels across categories in each destination? Bangkok and Hong Kong are well regarded for hotels, so even some of the not-so-super-luxe ones (Hotel Icon, or for example The Olympian where I do several staycations) can be good alternatives to splurging USD 500/night++ for The Peninsula, Upper House etc if budget is of consideration. Some destinations are notoriously not great for luxury, in which case unless you care about very specific things that luxury hotels tend to provide, you do not get great value for money - however, they are likely the top luxe hotels in the destination itself.
- Similarly, again, when it comes to price, again the only fair comparison is within city rather than across places. You're going to get great value in Bali, Thailand and even India (which has some of the best hotels around, particularly historic hotels) vs somewhere like Hawaii.

But as you say - it really comes down to the individual hotel. I'm not a fan of large hotels that typically cater to business crowds or larger conventions etc either. If budget is of a serious concern, I think you have to go by merit for each place.

Last edited by chinmoylad; Feb 26, 2018 at 8:10 pm
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:13 pm
Original Member

Hhhmmm. True luxury hotels don't tend to be that large, fewer than 300 rooms. Yes, that is no boutique experience. However, no room service, no concierge = no me.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:04 am

I'm growing more sceptical about luxury hotels - especially the ultra luxury hotels. I do think there is a certain sort of person who actively searches out the most expensive hotels and goes there as a sort of trophy challenge which the hotel usually wins. So many people here have found fault with these hotels, mainly in their failure to provide minuscule service details. My favourite bottled water or crisps were not in the room - ergo, this hotel is rubbish. That sort of thing. Personally I don't care about in-room amenities. I don't care if I never meet the manager. I only order room service if I am ill. I just want a nice room, serviced properly, nice surroundings, a pool if appropriate and helpful staff who don't fawn over you.

Yes, I've stayed in about a dozen Amans, many Four Seasons and other niche-market places but I always travel to a specific place or country, rarely just to a hotel. If you only go to luxury hotels you won't see much of the world.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:17 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 1:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.