Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanresorts Thread 2015 (Started by Amanjunkie)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:15 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Musken
Glad to hear that I am not alone here. Just feel that there has been so many negative statements lately, people not anymore recommending going to Amanresorts anymore, including people who used to love them. Have seen threads regarding Bali or India where Amanresorts are not anymore the first choice people mention etc. If it is some sort of a boycott, I understand, but if there are real service related issues or other negative experiences, I would love to hear about it since I have not noticed any differences in service etc. before or during my latest stays.
^^^

I think many Amanjunkies take a bit too much ownership in the Amanresorts and often pay as much attention to corporate/property operations as the actual guest experience. You see that in the "many negative statements lately" about GMs leaving Aman and/or switching properties and about the corporate takeover scenarios. It's a compliment that Amanjunkies take such ownership of the operational aspects of Aman; it also can be annoying when those reflections don't necessarily reflect anything to do with the guest experience. Management always changes, just as hotel groups/chains do. Some seem to have trouble accepting this fact with Aman.

I agree that Aman still is an amazing portfolio of properties and guest experiences. As has always been true, some Aman properties are more noteworthy than others, and some Aman properties appeal to more types of Amanjunkies than others. To a lesser extent, I also think that some GMs happen to be more notable and more personable than others. But that doesn't always impact the overall guest experience. As Aman has grown, there has been increased frustration by those Amanjunkies who were there from the start and accustomed to the incredible stability of GM and GM experience, not to mention of property location--and these are the ones who seem to comment most frequently on the changes.

I also think Aman's interest in increasing occupancy is alarming to many original Amanjunkies. Unfortunately, that is the nature of a hotel enterprise--to make more revenue and profit. Amanjunkies enjoyed low occupancy for quite a long time; now that aspect is being adjusted by a new ownership. That isn't at all surprising. Luxury hotels the world over all aspire for higher occupancy; Amanresorts is just later to that game.

We have only returned to Amangani on several occasions; otherwise, all of our Aman stays have been single experiences as we travel this wonderfully vast world of ours. Yet we gladly would return to Amanjiwo, Amankila, Amandari, Amanusa, Amansara, and Amangiri (our most recent stay in April 2015). We were less fond of Aman Summer Palace Beijing and Amanwana, but those reflect our own personal tastes and propensities and may not necessarily reflect those of other Amanjunkies or luxury travelers.

I doubt that the commentary on GM changes/departures will stop anytime soon. But it is worth noting that a GM change nor even a change in corporate ownership does not necessarily reflect a concomitant change in the Aman guest experience.

Last edited by bhrubin; Nov 18, 2015 at 11:25 am
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:42 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

My recent stay at amanyara was disappointing primarily due to the management. Beautiful property but some issues and when brought to the attention of the management the service resolution wasn't the greatest. Maybe this is just amanyara but it was enough to make me reconsider my spring stay at amanjena. That all being its a great property and we had a great time but I don't think it meets the Aman standard. When I have some time I'll write things up more so that y'all will have the info.

Fdw
Oh and the food wasn't as bad as had been portrayed.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
http://hotel-online.com/News/PR2001_...earchFirm.html >
February 2001
I read with great interest...and must say that I am in total agreement with your thoughts. I say that because of my own experience working at Regent International Hotels under the leadership of Bob Burns when individual hotels were the responsibility of the GM and success and /or failure rested squarely on his/her shoulders. GMs dealt directly with owners on most issues and the corporate office was there for support and guidance only if needed. Today, this same type of corporate structure seems to be working effectively at Adrian Zecha's Amanresorts. -Bill Black, Former GM, Regent of Bangkok [at that time, black had just recently left FS. note he does not mention FS. he has continued to be involved with trisara since around that time.]
that quote was written in response to > http://hotel-online.com/News/PR2001_...sAdvocate.html
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I just heard that the new Aman Regime...are looking at a 20% reduction in Aman staff.
a new thought on this: corporate reductions could be offset by individual property owners maintaining spending

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I also think Aman's interest in increasing occupancy is alarming to many original Amanjunkies. Unfortunately, that is the nature of a hotel enterprise--to make more revenue and profit. Amanjunkies enjoyed low occupancy for quite a long time; now that aspect is being adjusted by a new ownership. That isn't at all surprising. Luxury hotels the world over all aspire for higher occupancy; Amanresorts is just later to that game.
bhrubin, you do not travel during holiday periods. what if aman has 100% occupancy every day?
my point is not re 100%, it is that you would no longer have the option of avoiding such periods
aman is/was not only one to choose high rates over occupancy, and many still have annual rates
even FS only more recently changed to dynamic rates, they used to have ratecards on FS website

Originally Posted by Musken
people not anymore recommending going to Amanresorts anymore, including people who used to love them. Have seen threads regarding Bali or India where Amanresorts are not anymore the first choice people mention etc. If it is some sort of a boycott, I understand
isnt that just one person?

(existing) aman properties will always remain unique, and im not sure (it seems unlikely) that there will ever be a brand that competes with the 'brand' that consists of the existing aman properties, pretty much regardless of any changes made under new corporate owner

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 18, 2015 at 12:54 pm
Old Nov 18, 2015, 12:56 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

bhrubin, you do not travel during holiday periods. what if aman has 100% occupancy every day?
my point is not re 100%, it is that you would no longer have the option of avoiding such periods
I do avoid travel during holiday periods. That being said, occupancy was 100% for my most recent April 2016 stay at Amangiri. Sometimes, you can't avoid it if the property is so popular. We had a fabulous stay at Amangiri even at 100% occupancy.

As with all my luxury hotel selections, if an Aman (or any luxury hotel) can't deliver when it's at higher occupancy, then I and likely many others--gasp, even other Amanjunkies--might decide the cost/benefit isn't worth it. Then occupancy and demand will drop, and either Aman will adjust to better improve its service for higher occupancy or it won't. This is as true for Aman as it is for Pen, FS, MO, etc.

There are some hotels in every luxury hotel group that handle higher occupancy better than others. But being at higher occupancy shouldn't preclude a luxury hotel from delivering the high service that it promises. It may preclude getting room upgrades, understandably, but nothing else. I will choose accordingly--based on reviews and fellow luxury traveler feedback--and stay where I think my cost/benefit is best for me.

(existing) aman properties will always remain unique, and im not sure there will ever be a brand that competes with the 'brand' that consists of the existing aman properties, pretty much regardless of any changes made under new corporate owner
I agree with this--though I still think this is less true in the newer urban retreats that Aman is developing. Still, I always am much less partial to urban destinations than remote/rural destinations, so I do not match the majority of the Amanjunkie profile or profile of the new customer base that Aman is hoping to develop with these new urban hotels.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

understood re occupancy

Originally Posted by bhrubin
less true in the newer urban retreats
solely re decisions made by property owners (and aman) >
tokyo (and beijing) have full facilities yet relatively few rooms
(same for gathy's aman tribeca NYC design, only 57 rooms)
edit: specifically, the owner's capital investment/expenditure

yara changes (all external hires) >
07/2015 (07/2015 replacement) exec chef (fritz)
07/2015 (08/2015 replacement) exec sous chef
06/2015 rooms division manager (jana, to zoe)
03/2015 (05/2015 replacement) resort manager (sven, to GM zoe)
11/2014
09/2014 (11/2014 replacement) guest relations officer
07/2014 (11/2014 replacement) guest relations manager (jana)
06/2014 (05/2014 replacement) F&B manager
(06/2014 hire) assistant guest relations manager >
sounds like an 'old school' aman hire, 3 months after sale
http://blog.lesroches.edu/alumni/want-manager/
Running into a quaint little stall, I realized the name it held was one of the most distinguished brands in the luxury hotel business. Surprised at the intimate size of the tent, I ended up sharing a conversation with the lady and gentleman sitting calmly in the stall for around 45 minutes, without even the intention of hunting for a job. About a month or so later, I find myself back here in the Caribbean, as an Assistant Guest Relations Manager for Amanyara. One of the most exclusive hotels in the world! It is truly surprising what life has in store for you, if you look in the right places with the right attitude, and actually make an effort...At first it was a serious challenge to work 11 hours a day, or 12 days in a row. After almost 6 months, the hours fly. I actually want to stay longer. I feel like there is always so much more to be done. It’s exciting in a way, and also highly motivating when guests and your colleagues also appreciate hard work.
hiring >
chef de partie - fine dining
restaurant manager (sent to nera, 10 years at yara)

before sale of aman >
2013 original naturalist Lindsay left, replaced by Jaclyn

changing subject to nera >
guest relations manager - 2 years at aman
front office manager - 6 years at aman
exec sub chef - 2 years at kora

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 18, 2015 at 9:24 pm
Old Nov 18, 2015, 3:40 pm

With Aman being so GM-centric, even from earliest days on, of course the guest experience will suffer. Operations are service-oriented, intuitive, few SOPs and revolve around the GM. Change that person, change the resort. Some seasoned Aman's are different, such as Puri, because they have many veterans who know how to do things and have that ethos. But as we have heard, with Fred leaving, so are many of his fellow team members.

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
My recent stay at amanyara was disappointing primarily due to the management. Beautiful property but some issues and when brought to the attention of the management the service resolution wasn't the greatest. Maybe this is just amanyara but it was enough to make me reconsider my spring stay at amanjena. That all being its a great property and we had a great time but I don't think it meets the Aman standard. When I have some time I'll write things up more so that y'all will have the info.

Fdw
So sorry for you. I'm afraid Amanyara is just a resort, not an Aman. I have yet to meet someone who said otherwise. I stayed back in 2012 and once is really enough. So many more interesting Amans, better value to be had, too. Do try Jena though!

Last edited by scented; Nov 18, 2015 at 3:47 pm
Old Nov 18, 2015, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

replacement GMs were aman, except >
- tokyo (pre-opening)
- beijing
- puri (ex-como instead of harish, but harish is there)
- wana

pending >
- bagh

there have been some great/good reports here for amanyara, tokyo, summer palace
amanyara july/august 2013 >
Originally Posted by ngfan
Excellent management team
Sven van den Broeck from Belgium F&B manager executive assistant manager (potential GM IMHO)
Jana Schumann from Germany as guest relations manager
all interacting with guests on a twice, thrice daily basis
Food by Fritz Zwahlen from Switzerland
Originally Posted by aa213bb
I very much agree with ngfan. We stayed for 5 nights two years ago, and had quite a fantastic stay, also under their "Seasons of Discovery". Jana, in particular, made sure we thoroughly enjoyed it.
Originally Posted by indianenglish
I would venture that this is easily between one and two Michelin-level food.
separate from GMs >
giving GMs 24 hours to vacate
and other succession planning
GMs traveling for marketing
what are reasons for departures

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 23, 2015 at 12:57 am
Old Nov 19, 2015, 7:38 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by scented
With Aman being so GM-centric, even from earliest days on, of course the guest experience will suffer. Operations are service-oriented, intuitive, few SOPs and revolve around the GM. Change that person, change the resort. Some seasoned Aman's are different, such as Puri, because they have many veterans who know how to do things and have that ethos. But as we have heard, with Fred leaving, so are many of his fellow team members.

So sorry for you. I'm afraid Amanyara is just a resort, not an Aman. I have yet to meet someone who said otherwise. I stayed back in 2012 and once is really enough. So many more interesting Amans, better value to be had, too. Do try Jena though!
+1
Puri : new GM is Mr. Paul L . The team members I know are there for now .
Nemu : Hisayo

At least there are a few from Pulo at Yara . But I gather , it is pretty bad for an Aman , think somewhat regional " cultural " dilemma . And it ' ll likely take only one of the true Aman GMs to rectify the situation .

Last edited by FlyerEC; Nov 19, 2015 at 7:48 am
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
+1
Puri : new GM is Mr. Paul L . The team members I know are there for now .
Nemu : Hisayo
Glad to hear Hisayo san got the job. Emu should be in good hands then! Will you be going for the opening FlyerEC?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:25 am

+1
At least there are a few from Pulo at Yara . But I gather , it is pretty bad for an Aman , think somewhat regional " cultural " dilemma . And it ' ll likely take only one of the true Aman GMs to rectify the situation .
Judging from my recent stay, this is a management issue. Some of the Philippine-trained staff was indeed excellent, but beyond that, there was no discernible difference between local and "imported" personnel. Recruiting good staff into remote locales (and retaining them) is never easy, but I wouldn't say that Turks and Caicos ranks as particularly difficult. It's a nearly year-round destination with easy flight connections into the US. In comparison, staff at Parrot Cay was more than fine.

Fdw
I would be very curious. Glad that you had better luck with the food.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 9:53 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

IME, service is a major problem throughout the entire Caribbean region (including South Florida), even at luxury level hotel properties. It therefore is not at all surprising that Amanyara has service issues; almost every luxury hotel we've visited in the region has had service issues not comparable to those of the luxury chain/group.

Just as we expect higher levels of service in Asia, and see better service experiences at most Asian Aman properties, you should not be surprised with lower levels of service in the Caribbean and at Amanyara--and likely at Amanera, as well.

Even Amangani and Amangiri in the USA, while fantastic, do not quite live up to the high standard set by Asian Aman properties. Because American service levels do not usually measure up to the generally high standards in Asia, either.

Obviously, these are broad generalizations. We've had tremendous service at Amangani and at Amangiri. But I'd still say the service was slightly better at most of the Asian Amans.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:54 am

Le sigh... we have a visit coming up in March... seriously considering switching to somewhere else but I have a killer rate with a confirmed upgrade....

I'm getting not so Amanish vibes from Aman these days....

FDW
They replaced Gabriel Lousada very quickly, so they would have a GM for the Dec 5th party - it's Nicolas Ilickovic, who went through the Aman training programme. Everyone else at Amanjena has left apart from Ahmed on the Front Desk. Omar has retired.

Now playing lounge music in reception area. Open kitchen in Japanese restaurant. Kid's pool.....
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

so both dayan and nemu GMs were aman

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Nicolas Ilickovic

Everyone else at Amanjena has left apart from Ahmed on the Front Desk
have they replaced him at dayan yet?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 19, 2015 at 11:54 am
Old Nov 20, 2015, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Decided to wet our Aman beaks again and go to Jiwo after American Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Decided to wet our Aman beaks again and go to Jiwo after American Thanksgiving.
Awesome. We'll be there 27th -> 31st December. Have a great time and do let us know how you found it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.