Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanresorts Thread 2015 (Started by Amanjunkie)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amanresorts Thread 2015 (Started by Amanjunkie)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
aman indonesia Exclusives from $600/night - including nov/dec 2015?
if nov/dec 2015, can Exclusive booking overlap with 4th night free?

maybe they would also allow shifting of nights, say book 4 jiwo 4 kila
that is 2 free nights, maybe they would allow change to 5 jiwo 3 kila
We came back Tuesday from a few days in Singapore / Bali / Java. Didn't have time to prepare a proper review for FlyerTallk (I just wrote my usual TA one). Kila was great, I understand all the praise as indeed it is a fantastic beach resort. I am glad we chose a pool suite over an ocean suite. Private pools and privacy are more and more important for us. Amanjiwo was even better. The Dalem Jiwo Suite is a gem, I could live there I was afraid that having a personal butler would feel a bit strange, it was the very first time for us, but they know how to be discrete and adjust to your needs. I can't wait for our next Aman stay!

Pool suite #33

Dalem Jiwo suite

Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:33 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
We came back Tuesday from a few days in Singapore / Bali / Java. Didn't have time to prepare a proper review for FlyerTallk (I just wrote my usual TA one). Kila was great, I understand all the praise as indeed it is a fantastic beach resort. I am glad we chose a pool suite over an ocean suite. Private pools and privacy are more and more important for us. Amanjiwo was even better. The Dalem Jiwo Suite is a gem, I could live there I was afraid that having a personal butler would feel a bit strange, it was the very first time for us, but they know how to be discrete and adjust to your needs. I can't wait for our next Aman stay!

Pool suite #33

Dalem Jiwo suite

Amazing.. that pool suite looks great at amankila.. for some reason I thought most of the pool suites had no view....

The Dalem Jiwo suite is absolutely stunning.. how private was it? I found that the normal pool suites didn't have a ton of privacy...

FDW
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

kila pool suites >

9 behind (pool is behind suite)
12 behind ('connect' to 15 garden)
28 behind ('connect' to 29 ocean)

26 ('connect' to 27 ocean)
33 Pierre&Cédric ('adjacent' to 32 garden)

24 or 26 (24?) https://www.flickr.com/photos/35783299@N00/393804597/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/adiaphane/6472181693/
http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationP...ggis_Bali.html

26? 26 has a walkway below pool like 33. maybe 26 is not like 33/24.
im sure someone here can clarify. IIRC 33/24 came up here before.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 23, 2015 at 12:45 pm
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
The Dalem Jiwo suite is absolutely stunning.. how private was it? I found that the normal pool suites didn't have a ton of privacy...
It could not be more private. Except farmers nobody can see you. Even when we had lunch or dinner at the pool restaurant or the main restaurant our butler was accompanying us to be our waiter. You really feel cared after. We did not use the second bedroom of the suite so we had it transformed into a kind of spa suite. During our stay Andrew Rosenstock was there and we had Thai yoga massage also in the second bedroom transformed. It was a really special stay. As you can see on the pictures you really feel completely alone.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
kila pool suites >

9 behind (pool is behind suite)
12 behind ('connect' to 15 garden)
28 behind ('connect' to 29 ocean)

26 ('connect' to 27 ocean)
33 Pierre&Cédric ('adjacent' to 32 garden)

24 or 26 - https://www.flickr.com/photos/35783299@N00/393804597/
#32 is adjacent indeed to #33. Actually its roof can be seen on the picture. Booking 32 and 33 together is a good option for families, otherwise 32 shall not be booked alone as its terrace lacks privacy (pathway for 33 is just in front and you can even have a glimpse into its bathroom from above).
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:28 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
That's a neat picture you took of the Dalem Jiwo suite. I wish we would have thought to take the camera out to the end of the pool like that!
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post14100735
amanjiwo resort map shows 'isolation' of dalem jiwo suite
only / most 'isolated' for aman, except for 2 residences >
giri 4BR "minutes from the resort"
dari 3BR "minute's drive from Amandari"

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post16090920
amankila resort map

2012 >
Originally Posted by barakmq
Here is [GM's] answer (I hope it would help everybody else) :

"Our best ocean view is suite 37. The views are amazing and it’s quite private. None of our ocean suites are 100% private as the terraces are open to get the views. If you want complete privacy then I would suggest a pool suite. Suite 26 and 24 are both pool suites with partial ocean views.
Originally Posted by FlyerEC
pool suite.
24 is quite a hike, 26 / 33 have good views too but near road
seems to confirm 26 is good like 33 / 24, so 3 out of 6 have good view
considering that, its interesting that there hasnt been more discussion
maybe best ocean suites are available more often than those pool suites

2011 - 33 report >

Originally Posted by Loran
Actually, I was pretty happy with the view from my pool suite (#33). Anytime I was standing on the terrace I had two nice views of the ocean, both framed by foliage, and with the thatched roof of the lower-down-the-hill suite in between. The ocean was not visible when sitting on the covered part of the terrace; it may have been when sitting on the open deck chairs (I don't recall). Smaller views were available from inside the suite. I didn't check out any of the ocean view suites, so I don't know if those were more expansive.
Originally Posted by Loran
#33. This suite is definitely private as it is at the end of one of the elevated walks, and there is a tall wall by the pool. The adjacent garden suite is actually a fair degree lower down the hill, and while I can see into it when I'm outside (there's no one staying there now) any guests there won't be able to see pool suite villa, or even most of the patio. If you don't want to be disturbed by staff you hang a wooden fish on the concrete room marker by the stairs; this is visible well before the rest of the suite. I also like this location because it's on the side of the resort with only 6 villas, and it's not as much of a climb as some villas on the other side. The entry road runs behind the villa, and there is occasional car noise, but frankly the birds/crickets/frogs make more noise. There's a good degree of vegetation blocking the road from the villa too.
2007 - 24 or 26 photo linked >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ml#post7921987

they were waiting for new site before adding new photos
https://www.aman.com/resorts/amanyar...nyara-pavilion
photos of new 1BR ocean pool pavilion (only 1 pool & ocean)

news indicates aman tokyo ground floor cafe now open

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 23, 2015 at 2:39 pm
Old Aug 24, 2015, 10:25 am

The DJ is maybe one of the most spectacular suite in the world. It reminds me our honeymoon and spending 4 nights in such a wonderful place is something we will never forget. For those who want to touch the Nirvana, I hardly recommend a stay at Jiwo and especially in this pricey suite (but worth it).
Kila is a piece of art as well and deeply love the suite 24 where I'll be in a couple of weeks. Indrakila is also a great choice just like Kilisari, both with stunning ocean view.
Happy you had a great time in these 2 stunning Aman properties.

Pool suite #33

Dalem Jiwo suite

Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:39 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
The DJ Suite at Amanjiwo is amazing. That being said, the view is essentially the same from any of the front row suites at Amanjiwo. (We were booked in a front row Borobodur Pool Suite, but the GM let us use the DJ suite for a full day after I asked if it were possible to see it.) The massive pool and extra pavilions are lovely, and the DJ Suite really does feel special...but we weren't in any way disappointed when we returned to our BP suite for the rest of our stay. Food for thought...
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
The DJ Suite at Amanjiwo is amazing. That being said, the view is essentially the same from any of the front row suites at Amanjiwo. (We were booked in a front row Borobodur Pool Suite, but the GM let us use the DJ suite for a full day after I asked if it were possible to see it.) The massive pool and extra pavilions are lovely, and the DJ Suite really does feel special...but we weren't in any way disappointed when we returned to our BP suite for the rest of our stay. Food for thought...
I agree with you. Having stayed in both I remain very happy with a Borobodur Pool Suite, but perhaps that is because I am not a great fan of butlers.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:54 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I agree with you. Having stayed in both I remain very happy with a Borobodur Pool Suite, but perhaps that is because I am not a great fan of butlers.
As a frequent StR guest (and guest at the Chatwal NYC) with butler service, I must say that I very much enjoy butler service.

However, Aman service is so spectacular that we don't notice the difference at any Aman property we've thus visited. The small size of most Aman properties relative to most luxe hotels is a big factor here IMO.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:46 pm

As a frequent StR guest (and guest at the Chatwal NYC) with butler service, I must say that I very much enjoy butler service.

However, Aman service is so spectacular that we don't notice the difference at any Aman property we've thus visited. The small size of most Aman properties relative to most luxe hotels is a big factor here IMO.
Most Aman butlers are very attune to the guest and know if you need lots of attention or want to be left alone, save for some subtle help here and there. IMHO, butler service only works if you have one or two butlers at max, not StR style where you have to call them for every request at a time. Chances are one person will unpack all of the luggage, while another person will pack everything up again and it ends up being a complete mess. I rather pack myself then, instead of re-doing the whole thing. So Aman's approach is the way to go I think.
Totally agree re sizes.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by scented
Most Aman butlers are very attune to the guest and know if you need lots of attention or want to be left alone, save for some subtle help here and there. IMHO, butler service only works if you have one or two butlers at max, not StR style where you have to call them for every request at a time. Chances are one person will unpack all of the luggage, while another person will pack everything up again and it ends up being a complete mess. I rather pack myself then, instead of re-doing the whole thing. So Aman's approach is the way to go I think.
Totally agree re sizes.
I know that having the same butler for everything is better and that most herein prefer that...but to be honest, we've not had a single negative issue with the StR butler "team" approach at numerous StR properties (or at the Chatwal). Whether you have 1 or 4 butlers available, you still need to contact them for whatever you need, whether at Aman or StR.

It never bothered us that a different person did one task as long as the task was completed and done so in a friendly, helpful manner. We have enjoyed meeting the different butlers in the StR team as much as the single or second butler the few times we've enjoyed that at an Aman. To each, their own.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:11 pm

I know that having the same butler for everything is better and that most herein prefer that...but to be honest, we've not had a single negative issue with the StR butler "team" approach at numerous StR properties (or at the Chatwal). Whether you have 1 or 4 butlers available, you still need to contact them for whatever you need, whether at Aman or StR.
My experience of butlers is limited. I have the feeling that sometimes 'butlers' are more a marketing tool or a communication selling point than a real service. The only place where we took advantage of butlers is the Bvlgari in London because they are a very small team and Pierre knows all of them very well so we end up with excellent service.

It is very different with the Dalem Jiwo Suite as the butler 'lives' in the suite with his own quarters. It means you don't have to call or contact him. He is already there. And obviously the service is extremely personal.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:48 pm
Suspended

My experience of butlers is limited. I have the feeling that sometimes 'butlers' are more a marketing tool or a communication selling point than a real service. The only place where we took advantage of butlers is the Bvlgari in London because they are a very small team and Pierre knows all of them very well so we end up with excellent service.
I take advantage of packing and unpacking everywhere there is butler service. I almost always take advantage of shoe shining/pressing services, too, where appropriate (e.g. not in tropical locales!). We generally use butlers for restaurant recommendations where we don't already have them--for which I actually appreciate the butler team approach, since we get multiple perspectives quite easily. When we order room service, we occasionally order directly through our butlers, particularly when we want something off-menu. Whenever we have an issue, we contact butlers first--and it most often gets handled very efficiently.

It is very different with the Dalem Jiwo Suite as the butler 'lives' in the suite with his own quarters. It means you don't have to call or contact him. He is already there. And obviously the service is extremely personal.
Absolutely. Of course, the DJ butler is akin to when we stayed at Vatulele Island The Point and Pink House and had our own butlers. Of course, the price point for Amanjiwo (and the DJ Suite) vs a butler at a StR or Chatwal is very different! Considering the StR/Chatwal price points, we've always been extremely pleased with their butler service.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Pool suite #33

Dalem Jiwo suite

I want, I want! 😄

A very nice private pool suite...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.