Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Mexico City: Las Alcobas or St. Regis or ???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hi:

Las Alcobas looks like an obvious choice as far as a unique lux property goes.

That said, the StR's location and amenities look beyond reproach.

Anyone been to MC of late, and if so, where'd you stay?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:14 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I stayed at the St Regis last year as it seemed a steal at something like 12,000 points a night. I was very pleased with my stay and pretty impressed with the hotels. It's not one of the best St Regis hotels in the world, but delivers against expectations.

I didn't check out Las Alcobas, but I actually prefer its location. Depending on what you're doing in MC, being in Polanco is probably the ideal location as you can wander around the area and enjoy the nice bars and restaurants.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have stayed at the St Regis, Four Seasons and JW Marriott over the past 18 months, and would recommend the St Regis over those 3.
I would actually say I like the location of the Marriott/W better, but the St Regis is good enough.
The rooms were the most modern, had great food, and the best gym/spa of the 3. The Jacuzzi over looking the main road was a great way to wind down after work before going out.
That being said, the St Regis, to a certain extent, could be anywhere in the world in terms of decor, whereas the FS has a certain charm to it. I stopped staying at the FS because of the construction next door and I like the gym better at StR, but the FS courtyard is very nice
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by uclabruin82
I have stayed at the St Regis, Four Seasons and JW Marriott over the past 18 months, and would recommend the St Regis over those 3.
I would actually say I like the location of the Marriott/W better, but the St Regis is good enough.
The rooms were the most modern, had great food, and the best gym/spa of the 3. The Jacuzzi over looking the main road was a great way to wind down after work before going out.
That being said, the St Regis, to a certain extent, could be anywhere in the world in terms of decor, whereas the FS has a certain charm to it. I stopped staying at the FS because of the construction next door and I like the gym better at StR, but the FS courtyard is very nice
I just got back from a trip (two, actually) whereby I was traveling with couples from Mexico City.

I've been dying to go for a few years, as the food scene looks, well...insane(ly good).

I got to talking with both MC couples and I mentioned the FS and both told me some variation of "not a good Four Seasons, stay elsewhere."

The conversations inevitably turned to: StR or LA.

I certainly want the "big box" conveniences of a St. Regis (the spa, for instance)...and the location does look ideal. But damn, those pictures of LA look amazing!

Also, as Pete mentioned, the points value of the SPG is almost too good to pass up. Albeit now it's 16k/night, not 12k.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
Las Alcobas

I have not stayed at Las Alcobas, but we did a site inspection there a few years ago and I found the hotel to be a charming boutique hotel. Great location, the staff is super attentive, excellent service throughout, and the rooms are stylish and unique. Lots of special design touches throughout. Clients I've sent there have given it very high marks and all said they'd return.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 5:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LindaTerrill
I have not stayed at Las Alcobas, but we did a site inspection there a few years ago and I found the hotel to be a charming boutique hotel. Great location, the staff is super attentive, excellent service throughout, and the rooms are stylish and unique. Lots of special design touches throughout. Clients I've sent there have given it very high marks and all said they'd return.
Thanks Linda.

Looks like I'm going with La Alcobas.

Interesting how little feedback there is on this forum. It's not like MC is a small place
Old Jan 1, 2015, 10:35 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Interesting how little feedback there is on this forum.
Sorry to let you down...
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:00 pm

Interesting how little feedback there is on this forum. It's not like MC is a small place
To be fair, you're asking over a holiday period when most people are very, very busy.

Too, as with any other source of info, some topics/areas are much more well-covered than others (e.g. Bali on this board)
Old Jan 1, 2015, 1:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aa213bb
To be fair, you're asking over a holiday period when most people are very, very busy.

Too, as with any other source of info, some topics/areas are much more well-covered than others (e.g. Bali on this board)
I was referring to the amount (or lack thereof) of overall Mexico City info on the Luxury Hotels forum...not making issue with the rate of response.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 2:11 pm

I was referring to the amount (or lack thereof) of overall Mexico City info on the Luxury Hotels forum...not making issue with the rate of response.
That's fine, but I made the two points to cover both the immediate and long terms.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:08 pm

Las Alcobas is listed on Starwood Luxury Collection Directory as opening on March 2015:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury.../all/list.html

So unless it is a different hotel with the same name, this seems to be the future of this hotel. I wonder what a boutique hotel ranked at #1 in TripAdvisor has to gain by joining Starwood.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xicotencatl
Las Alcobas is listed on Starwood Luxury Collection Directory as opening on March 2015:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury.../all/list.html

So unless it is a different hotel with the same name, this seems to be the future of this hotel. I wonder what a boutique hotel ranked at #1 in TripAdvisor has to gain by joining Starwood.
I know, right?

I can't imagine Starwood could bring much to the table, unless Alcobas is looking to be maligned for not recognizing Plat benefits on the FT forum
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

might be franchise (like the well-regarded peru properties)

mexico city does have discussion here for business / leisure

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 3, 2015 at 10:42 am
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:14 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Heading to StR MC in late February, planning to also check out Las Alcobas (which will join the Luxury Collection sometime in March 2015 I think).
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Heading to StR MC in late February, planning to also check out Las Alcobas (which will join the Luxury Collection sometime in March 2015 I think).
I'm headed there in July. Yea, it's the rainy season...oh well.

Still trying to decide if four full days (plus two travel days - in all: a 6 day trip) is too much for just Mexico City....and whether Puebla is worth a night, or is better suited for a day trip.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.