Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Mexico City: Las Alcobas or St. Regis or ???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mexico City: Las Alcobas or St. Regis or ???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:12 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
I leave in a week and a half. Back to the St Regis for a weekend. Unfortunately it is Easter weekend and the big "50 best" restaurants are closed (Quintonil, Pujol, etc).

So others I should add: Pehua, and Biko to my list. Anything else?
Check out Eater Mexico City, they have a few lists.

Also, if it’s open the roof top bar on the top of Hotel Condesa DF is really nice. They take reservations and they have a Japanese inspired menu and great drinks. We went around 6pm without a reservation for a happy hour drink and snack and had a great time, but we did notice that many tables were reserved. The seating is on couch type things, it’s a lounge environment with nice views.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 12:22 am

One other thought: What else will be closed? Mexico City is all about food and art and culture—make sure you will be able to do the things you want to do.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Just finished another wonderful stay at the St. Regis. Any service issues we had last stay were certainly rectified. Having Whatsapp access to our butler was a game changer. We used the butler through Whatsapp LOTS. To book restaurants, to have clothes pressed for our return from day activities, to have a bath drawn as we were paying our bill at dinner, to pack/unpack,etc etc.

In fact, the only time our Butler didn't work is the first time he introduced himself. We asked him to come back in 15 minutes to unpack for us, and he never showed up. I think there was a language barrier and something was lost in translation. From that point on, we used Whatsapp and everything was perfect. Us damn millennial's.....

Bicycle rentals were free this time. Last time I believe they were a minimal cost, about $10 US every 2 hours. We used them every day, and they are one of the main reasons we choose the St. R over the FS or Los Alcobas.

We go to CDMX to EAT. The food is so good. Since most of the "50 Best" restaurants were closed for Semana Santa, we tried some other ones, and found some REAL gems. Summarized below. All are stunningly beautiful restaurants, with equally amazing food.

Breakfast: Lardo - Excellent breakfast. Stunning design. Apparently lunch is awesome here too. In the heart of Condesa.
PASILLO DE HUMO - Our favorite breakfast. Traditional Mexican, most things cooked in Clay Pots. In Condesa. You must go!
Cedron - French inspired, the most stunningly designed restaurant of all three of these. In Condesa.

Lunch: Contramar - Always good. St. Regis secured us an outside table. In Condesa
Aqua & Sal - The seafood here was top notch. We just stumbled upon this place, and it might have been the best food all weekend. In Polanco
Los Danzantes Coyoacan - Very Meh. We were on our way back from Xochimilco, and were starving. Wouldn't return. In Coyoacan.

Dinner: Pehua (Thanks to a suggestion on this thread!). We thought the food was excellent here. Cocktails were awesome too. Fantastic. Roma North hood.
Mia Domenicca - Maybe our favorite of the dinner joints. Food was simply incredible, and cocktails were great. The indoor and "outdoor" space aren't very separate, so you can smell smoke when people smoke in the outside area. Only complaint. Condesa.
Kaye - Another beautiful restaurant. Probably my least favorite of the three, but only because the other two were SO good. In Condesa.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by CanuckFlyHigh; Apr 2, 2018 at 2:46 pm
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:53 pm

Dinner: Pehua (Thanks to a suggestion on this thread!). We thought the food was excellent here. Cocktails were awesome too. Fantastic. Roma North hood.

So glad you liked it! And what about that home made bread made with mushrooms that grow in corn with their sauce--amazing right? I do think they need to give a little attention to the ambiance inside, it's a bit bright.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Apr 2, 2018 at 8:02 pm
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:17 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
@CanuckFlyHigh I also love using WhatsApp with the butlers! And I’m Gen X.

I’m so glad you had an even better visit. I can’t wait to get back in Jan.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:21 am

Ah just the thread that I'm looking for -- very torn between StR and Las Alcobas at the moment. Las Alcobas is walking distance to the "50Best" restaurants. But the rooms at StR seem nicer/bigger. We're only SPG Gold so not expecting any upgrades at either spots.
@bhrubin , my husband and I are also going in Jan! Maybe we'll bump into you at one of the SPG hotels haha.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by jbeans
Ah just the thread that I'm looking for -- very torn between StR and Las Alcobas at the moment. Las Alcobas is walking distance to the "50Best" restaurants. But the rooms at StR seem nicer/bigger. We're only SPG Gold so not expecting any upgrades at either spots.
@bhrubin , my husband and I are also going in Jan! Maybe we'll bump into you at one of the SPG hotels haha.

We stayed at an airbnb in Condesa. I know that is not what you are considering, but I bring it up because one of the things we loved so so much about it was being in a real walkable neighborhood, and the Alcobas also has that. Our least favorite part of the city that we spent time in was the near the St. Regis. It was just so big and commercial, and we much preferred the quiet and shady streets and staying in a smaller place, and also walking everywhere.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:32 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
We're actually torn now to celebrate my bday at the StR Mexico City, the StR Bahia Beach (reopens this Oct/Nov), or Amangiri in Utah. So we may miss you.

I don't think you can go wrong between the StR Mexico City and Las Alcobas, to be honest. I prefer the StR because of its modern/fresh decor, its very elegant and spacious rooms/suites, its butler service, its amazing bar/terrace, its wonderful food/beverage, and it being only a 15-20 min drive by taxi/Uber to the Polanco neighborhood. My husband also will love the spa. Las Alcobas is amazing in that it's located right in the Polanco neighborhood with incredible restaurants/bars nearby and has a beautiful boutique feel. The Polanco area is nicer, but the StR offers too much that I love more--and it's just 15-20 min away from the Polanco.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:14 pm

Thanks to you both for your recommendations! We do like to walk everywhere while on vacation, so that's moving the needle towards Alcobas.

And @bhrubin sounds like you'll have an amazing bday celebration no matter which choice you end up with! On a side note, I'm celebrating my bday at the Gwen in Chicago next month, and your FT review definitely helped with the decision making.

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
We stayed at an airbnb in Condesa. I know that is not what you are considering, but I bring it up because one of the things we loved so so much about it was being in a real walkable neighborhood, and the Alcobas also has that. Our least favorite part of the city that we spent time in was the near the St. Regis. It was just so big and commercial, and we much preferred the quiet and shady streets and staying in a smaller place, and also walking everywhere.
Originally Posted by bhrubin
We're actually torn now to celebrate my bday at the StR Mexico City, the StR Bahia Beach (reopens this Oct/Nov), or Amangiri in Utah. So we may miss you.

I don't think you can go wrong between the StR Mexico City and Las Alcobas, to be honest. I prefer the StR because of its modern/fresh decor, its very elegant and spacious rooms/suites, its butler service, its amazing bar/terrace, its wonderful food/beverage, and it being only a 15-20 min drive by taxi/Uber to the Polanco neighborhood. My husband also will love the spa. Las Alcobas is amazing in that it's located right in the Polanco neighborhood with incredible restaurants/bars nearby and has a beautiful boutique feel. The Polanco area is nicer, but the StR offers too much that I love more--and it's just 15-20 min away from the Polanco.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Uber is very very cheap in Mexico - so I would choose which hotel you want moreso based on what you want to do in Mexico City, instead of just proximity to restaurats.

I think StR to Quintonil was $4 in an Uber.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 3:20 pm

Uber is very very cheap in Mexico - so I would choose which hotel you want moreso based on what you want to do in Mexico City, instead of just proximity to restaurats.

I think StR to Quintonil was $4 in an Uber.
Respectfully, I disagree. I did not stay in a walkable area to save money on transportation, rather, I stayed there because being in a friendly walkable area with cafes, bars and also local residents is always a highlight of a vacation for me. I want to avoid getting in cars not because of the cost, but because it's what I do so often on so many other days in the year.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Respectfully, I disagree. I did not stay in a walkable area to save money on transportation, rather, I stayed there because being in a friendly walkable area with cafes, bars and also local residents is always a highlight of a vacation for me. I want to avoid getting in cars not because of the cost, but because it's what I do so often on so many other days in the year.
not to mention sitting in traffic!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.