Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aman Tokyo - Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2015, 5:11 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by ProTraveler
With the being said, I would caution that the property is very much still in its soft opening, and I encountered small service issues that may disappoint those accustomed to typical Aman perfection
Just finishing my first few hours here. Hard product is terrific. I mean jaw dropping good. I had *very* low expectations for the soft product given the reviews here. I'm not happy to say that they have failed to meet my low expectations. 'Pulo this is not ...
Old May 10, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
The new management at Aman appears to be discarding the GMs with Aman DNA, so I don't see how we can expect a new Aman to embody the Aman philosophy.
How many have been discarded? Do you think this trend will continue?
Old May 11, 2015, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Just finishing my first few hours here. Hard product is terrific. I mean jaw dropping good. I had *very* low expectations for the soft product given the reviews here. I'm not happy to say that they have failed to meet my low expectations. 'Pulo this is not ...
Can you give a few more details about your disappointment regarding your disappointing experience about the soft product at aman Tokyo? I'm double surprised because usually aman is always doing it so well and it's not hard at all to find perfect staff in Japan... did you meet the gm Jeffrey? I really really hope aman will do not change the identity of the fabulous brand Adrian zecha has invested his whole life to build. I don't want aman will become just an other luxury brand cause, until now, it was far beyond this...
Old May 11, 2015, 7:49 am

Spot on
Old May 11, 2015, 8:18 am

From what I hear the GM was previously at a Ritz-Carlton/Marriott property (or something similar) in Korea.
Old May 11, 2015, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
From what I hear the GM was previously at a Ritz-Carlton/Marriott property (or something similar) in Korea.
I thought he was in an Anantara in Maldives. .. but the point is your experience. Spot on and explain why it has been such a disappointment?
Old May 11, 2015, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

tokyo GM (hired by new owners of aman) >
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
20 years RC, 2 years anantara, 2 years taj
lots of external hires from hotel companies
i heard sue reitz departed as tokyo GM for personal reasons
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post23033870
lots of ex aman in australia

playa grande GM (hired by new owners of aman) >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post24772637
5 years 'hip' miami hotels
8 years RC

giri GM (hired right before sale of aman closed?) >
2006-2014 dorchester
1997-2006 RC

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 11, 2015 at 11:45 am
Old May 11, 2015, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Check.

For several years in the early 2000s, Mr. Seward was in charge of the very forgettable and uninspiring Ritz Carlton Seoul.

to RodHK: I met the man, thought he was a decent GM - friendly, attentive, etc. Thought we could have a close Aman GM relationship or friendship like others had with their GMs at other properties. We also have some personal similarities from time in Seoul, spouses, etc but that all went out the window.

Unimpressed with his dismissive, casual behavior after my botched spa treatment. I expected an Aman GM to try to make it right and not laugh it off as a casual blip. Soft opening or not, the spa should be doing their best work right off the bat. It made his previous gestures at dinner and through email seem very hollow and insincere. The spa director is also ex- of many Tokyo 5* luxury hotels and that got alarm bells ringing too.

Their facilities and hard product are out of this world great but the staff and management need to look at themselves in the mirror.
Old May 11, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aventine
Unimpressed with his dismissive, casual behavior after my botched spa treatment. I expected an Aman GM to try to make it right and not laugh it off as a casual blip.

spa director is also ex- of many Tokyo 5* luxury hotels and that got alarm bells ringing too.
quote in my last post refers to tokyo GM - 20 years at RC

spa director >
opened aman tokyo
(MO singapore)
MO tokyo director
(opened fairmont beijing)
MO tokyo director (step up)
conrad tokyo manager (step up)
GH tokyo assistant manager

staff >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post23793006
plus >
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/hiroshi...?trk=pub-pbmap
assistant front office manager since apr 2014, 4 years st regis, 4 years hyatt

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 14, 2015 at 1:18 pm
Old May 11, 2015, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Check.

For several years in the early 2000s, Mr. Seward was in charge of the very forgettable and uninspiring Ritz Carlton Seoul.

to RodHK: I met the man, thought he was a decent GM - friendly, attentive, etc. Thought we could have a close Aman GM relationship or friendship like others had with their GMs at other properties. We also have some personal similarities from time in Seoul, spouses, etc but that all went out the window.

Unimpressed with his dismissive, casual behavior after my botched spa treatment. I expected an Aman GM to try to make it right and not laugh it off as a casual blip. Soft opening or not, the spa should be doing their best work right off the bat. It made his previous gestures at dinner and through email seem very hollow and insincere. The spa director is also ex- of many Tokyo 5* luxury hotels and that got alarm bells ringing too.

Their facilities and hard product are out of this world great but the staff and management
need to look at themselves in the mirror.
That's interesting to know and it makes me disappointed cause with such a beautiful and exclusive hard product and since this is an Aman, you really have right to expect the very best, even something incredible.
Not having it is undoubtely very frustrating and I sincerely don't understand why Aman is taking the wrong direction for their development. Are they trying to push away all the Amanjunkies with new GMs with no great and genuine personnality, not very implicated in the guests happiness...?? If yes this is extremely disappointed and, in that case, I'll explore the world harder to find new luxury properties offering what Aman has been able to offer when Adrian was still at the head of the group.
I didnt know Mr Seward was at RC Seoul which has never been, for my point of view, a real five stars... Very surprised he's now GM of the newest Aman and the first urban property of Aman (if we don't consider Aman Summer Palace, Amanfayun, Aman Grande Canal, Amandayan... being urban properties).
Old May 11, 2015, 11:35 pm

Sadly these reviews more or less confirm my original suspicion that this would be more of an Aman lite, basically a glorified Tokyo hotel at the top of an office building. It is worth something of a premium for its hard product, but I would not always be willing to pay a large premium for it over its nearest competition.

If the rate difference is $200~ or so, that buys a delicious dinner for one (or sometimes even for two) every night.
Old May 12, 2015, 4:30 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Shouldn't have posted. Jeffrey is reading this forum. He is a decent guy. I'll comment in full next week after I have left. Until then I need to shut up.

Just chased out the maids again this morning. That was the third time .... Oh man ... Maid is here again for turndown. This is the fourth time they have gotten in the way ....

And wearing my shoes in the room. I think that's wrong. I'm having a terrible time figuring out where I'm allowed to keep my shoes on and where I need to take them off. One attendant told me I had to take my shoes off to go into the gym. I must have misunderstood (?). I use shoes when I run on the treadmill. Is that OK in Japan?
Old May 12, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Shouldn't have posted. Jeffrey is reading this forum. He is a decent guy. I'll comment in full next week after I have left. Until then I need to shut up.

Just chased out the maids again this morning. That was the third time .... Oh man ... Maid is here again for turndown. This is the fourth time they have gotten in the way ....

And wearing my shoes in the room. I think that's wrong. I'm having a terrible time figuring out where I'm allowed to keep my shoes on and where I need to take them off. One attendant told me I had to take my shoes off to go into the gym. I must have misunderstood (?). I use shoes when I run on the treadmill. Is that OK in Japan?
Go to the FS or the MO till they have worked out the kinks, unless you are paying a reduced soft opening rate.
Old May 12, 2015, 7:58 am

What a shame they don't provide a breathtaking service experience... maybe japanese who are aman lovers for long time are too excited and consequently, they over iinterpretation what means ultimate service which is, for my point of view, to be present without to be too visible... Concerning the shoes you can keep or you have to remove, that's ridiculous because aman is not a ryokan and I don't think it's a right choice cause freedom is a part of luxury... they cannot ask you to remove your shoes to go to the gym... that said we all know a luxury hotel needs at least a year to fix all the opening issues and I'm sure aman will know how to do to provide soon the very best in Tokyo like in most of the resorts. At this moment, rates are much lower than in MO or Pen and I guess the hard product is really amazing...
Old May 12, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Well I am checking-in on Saturday so hopefully the maid issues are sorted out by then!
I will say that dealing with the concierge via email so far has been much better than the hotel I had previously booked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.