Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Aman Tokyo - Trip Report

Aman Tokyo - Trip Report

Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:45 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by htang333
Sent a few clients to Aman earlier in the year (Apr - Aug)...they had nice things to say. One client is ready to book again for next Spring. Decided to take a look for myself. Booked for 3 nights in December. Will report back. Hope to be "wowed!" but the expectation is being managed based on the previous comments.

Speaking of new properties, I did recently visit Amanera, in the Dominican. Stunning Casitas and property. One of my favorites so far...Service was a bit sub-par vs. Asian/Bali Amans as they are still learning but staff was very warm...anyway, I digress....if you're interested, I have a review up on the blog...

Reivew: http://www.besvisor.com/test/
Photos: http://www.besvisor.com/amanera
Thanks for the review. Looks like a stunning property. What was your flight itinerary? I found trying to figure out flights to be tough for Amanera; much easier for Amanyara. How was the ocean? Looks calm in some of the pictures.

Currently at Amanzoe. Looks like Dolphin sets a high bar for future properties.

Fdw
Old Oct 10, 2016, 7:53 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Thanks for the review. Looks like a stunning property. What was your flight itinerary? I found trying to figure out flights to be tough for Amanera; much easier for Amanyara. How was the ocean? Looks calm in some of the pictures.

Currently at Amanzoe. Looks like Dolphin sets a high bar for future properties.

Fdw
My pleasure!

I'm near CLT so the flights weren't bad flying into POP. 3 hours non stop on some days and connecting via MIA on others. The resort is about an hour from the airport. The transfer is via Mercedes GL and included in the rates. I will say the ceviches were fantastic! disclaimer: I've not been to Peru so my ceviche ratings may not be up to par but I've had plenty of sushi/octopus and their octopus ceviche was out of this world tender.

Not the calmest ocean but still was able to swim without issues...however, I can see it being problematic if you have small children swimming without supervision. That said, they were expanding the children pool area right on the beach. Should be complete now with season opening on Nov 1...have a client going there on Nov 1, can let you know if the kids pool has been extended.

I've also been able to upgrade all clients I've sent there this year (at time of booking) so I'm very pleased with the GM (Rocco B) and the reservations team. They are a great team to work with!

If you have more questions, I'd be happy to answer. Feel free to DM me as this isn't the Amanera thread...I don't want to get scorched for it

Planing to inspect/visit Zoe next spring...jealous you're there now

Cheers!

Last edited by BESVISOR; Oct 10, 2016 at 7:58 am
Old Oct 10, 2016, 11:33 am

Our stay at Zoe earlier this year staggered me. I cannot wait to get back, and though I was very skeptical of Amanera, the comparisons between the two have begun to perk me up.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 2:53 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a polite reminder that this thread is about Aman in Tokyo, please comment on other Amans in either the relevant thread for that one (these are listed in the Aman thread referenced in the sticky) or one of the more general Aman threads.

Thanks,
RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Oct 10, 2016, 4:05 pm
formerly htang333

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Just a polite reminder that this thread is about Aman in Tokyo, please comment on other Amans in either the relevant thread for that one (these are listed in the Aman thread referenced in the sticky) or one of the more general Aman threads.

Thanks,
RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Saw this coming!
Old Oct 10, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
I did a very quick site inspection last month on a long layover in town. I had afternoon tea, which anyone can do, not just guest. It is in the lobby and can get quite busy. I was there (with reservations) on a Tuesday at 3 pm. I really enjoyed the selection. I found the biscuits a bit dry, but the chocolates on the top were stunning.

You can have tea in the main lobby area (it should go without saying, by the windows are best), the library, or the smoking room.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 3:18 pm
formerly htang333

Currently on property and would love to grab a drink with any fellow FTers or Junkies, if anyone is on site as well. Cheers!

Quick notes:
Hard product is fantastic, as discussed by many
Soft product is...well, I know I'm at an Aman, but just don't necessarily feel as if I am.
To clarify, service has been good to great but certainly not the typical Aman manner and I've not seen much pro-active gestures or ninja (pun intended) like anticipations. Feels a bit cold.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Any recent reports/updates on the current service level? Debating which FHR hotel to book for a last night on my trip next year.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Rusdude
Any recent reports/updates on the current service level? Debating which FHR hotel to book for a last night on my trip next year.
I'll be staying here in a month for 3 nights and will do a follow-up for you
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Stayed there last week for one night and found service to be excellent. Not much difference to other Amans IMHO. No bill signing, adressed by name many times on first time staff encounters, only asked for room no. once when seated for breakfast. Great dinner food and nice a la carte bf. Lively atmosphere during popular afternoon tea (yes, this is a city property) but still very orderly (this is Japan).

I showed interest to acquire the afternoon tea etagere and they went out of their way to provide me with pricing and shipping info in true Aman style.

A stunning property. Overall a true Aman.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Spa is excellent. Lounge tea staff experiences range from ok to very attentive.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 3:00 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, FHR, SPG
Hi,

curious if anyone has the direct email for the concierge at Aman Tokyo. We are visiting this summer and would love to start ironing out our plans. Please let me know if you had any must do activities organized by the Aman team. We are traveling with kids (10&6) and our first time in Tokyo. Thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.