Cartagena, Coumbia: best hotel

Old Dec 9, 14, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Cartagena, Coumbia: best hotel

Has any one had any recent stays?

Thanks.
Old Dec 9, 14, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Yes. Love the Sofitel Legend. Great city!!

The luxury duplex suites are truly something to write home about.

Great city in a consistently underrated destination. have fun.
Old Dec 9, 14, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
I stayed at the sofitel and enjoyed it. It was not a "luxury" hotel on par with big tourist cities, but for Cartagena, it is one of only two sizeable hotels in the old city (which I think is better to stay in). Otherwise, you have to stay at small boutique hotels.
Old Dec 9, 14, 7:09 pm
Community Director

Originally Posted by uclabruin82 View Post
I stayed at the sofitel and enjoyed it. It was not a "luxury" hotel on par with big tourist cities, but for Cartagena, it is one of only two sizeable hotels in the old city (which I think is better to stay in). Otherwise, you have to stay at small boutique hotels.
I agree with this perspective. The Sofitel has a great location within the old city. It's a historic property with the first section of rooms, the dining room, and the lobby surrounding a cloister. There are tables and chairs outside the dining room within the cloister that are an idyllic place for breakfast or lunch. The chapel is exquisite. I suggest that you want a room or suite within that first section rather than in the newer rooms further out. It didn't have the impeccable service I would expect at its price point, but it is a solid choice and to me the best one in Cartagena.
Old Dec 9, 14, 8:05 pm
Suspended

I'd agree its not the type of luxury you'd find in most big cities (in "the first world," I guess)...but for Colombia I think it's great. I'd go back.
Old Dec 10, 14, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pricesquire View Post
I'd agree its not the type of luxury you'd find in most big cities (in "the first world," I guess)...but for Colombia I think it's great. I'd go back.
I don't get this? Some of the best hotels in the world are in third world cities.
Also, please don't try and solicit my business via private message on flyertalk.
Old Dec 10, 14, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Sure, there are TONS of outstanding luxury hotels in the 3rd world.

What I mean is: don't go to Colombia and expect a Park Hyatt, St. Regis, Peninsula, MO, etc. It's not a glitz and glam type of city.

What you'd find is something more along the lines of Peruvian luxury - which is by all means 5*.

Think more along the lines of classical and/or historic colonial architecture.

Not trying to get into a debate of what constitutes the third world.

Maybe a better explanation is: the type of luxury you'll find here is consistent with other colonial and pre-colonial cities in the Western hemisphere. (Central america and south america)

Also, don't find telling you about a could-be-promo at the property discussed here to be a solicitation, but different strokes I guess. Apologies.
Old Dec 10, 14, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA Premier Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
One other note about the Sofitel, is that the breakfast buffet is pretty solid. As mentioned above, you can eat in the courtyard of the original building, and it had great fruit and coffee (although that is probably because you are in cartagena) and a decent hot selection as well. Also, if it is important to you, there is a small gym as well.
Old Dec 15, 14, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It's worth noting that also in Colombia, the W Bogota has been announced. https://starwood.q4web.com/investor-...inkId=11162037
Old Dec 15, 14, 1:47 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
This hotel in Cartagena might be of interest too:

http://www.lhw.com/hotel/Hotel-Charl...agena-Colombia
Old Feb 18, 18, 5:47 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Looking for some recent advice on Cartagena hotels. From my research, it looks like Casa San Agustin and Sofitel are the leaders, but I have read some less than stellar observations on both so am also considering alternatives. From what I saw, the look of the Charleston rooms were not to my liking. And if the moderators can stomach it, would love to hear recommendations for restaurants and bars as well.
Old Feb 19, 18, 3:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Travel Agent (member of all consortia programs - Ritz, Mandarin, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons, etc.)
Originally Posted by blueline7 View Post
Looking for some recent advice on Cartagena hotels. From my research, it looks like Casa San Agustin and Sofitel are the leaders, but I have read some less than stellar observations on both so am also considering alternatives. From what I saw, the look of the Charleston rooms were not to my liking. And if the moderators can stomach it, would love to hear recommendations for restaurants and bars as well.
Nothing is Cartagena is a complete 10 out of 10 (Id compare it a lot to RAK...tons of killer properties but nothing is perfect).

That said, never once had negative feedback from a client over Casa San Agustin. (Deal with some pretty big VIPs from Colombia and they all swear its the only truly lux game in town)

NOT a fan of the Sofitel.
Old Oct 13, 20, 7:14 pm

Theres a new boutique hotel in Cartagena which was the perfect place for a friends wedding, the attention to detail and service was second to none.
Defiantly the best Luxury boutique hotel in cartagena
www.amarla.co

Search this Thread
Search Engine: