Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Trip Report: The Peninsula House

The Peninsula House

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

The Peninsula House

Calle Coson Las Terrenas 00013, DO

Trip Report: The Peninsula House (0 Photo)

The Peninsula House

Trip Report The Peninsula House 4th of July Weekend In Las Terrenas, DR.

Arrival

Greeted by ground staff of Aerodomca as soon as I exited the plane. The speed and expertise of this company was incredible. You felt like you were Mariah Carry entering the country as you went to the front of line and cleared customs all within five minutes. We turned around and made our way to a car that drove out to the tarmac and waited a few minutes for the plane to taxi over. A comfortable two seat plane took off to Portillo Airport and we arrived 35 minutes later. The flight was very scenic, with the Bay of Samana just south of the peninsula and steep mountains covered with palm trees. It looks a bit like SE Asia, so lush and green.

A taxi was waiting under a tree to take me to the hotel about 20 minutes away. The road was smooth and ran along the beach with Italian, French and Dominican restaurants lining both sides and some great looking beach clubs right on the sand. This area of the DR has a large expat population of French, Italian, and a few Swiss, making Las Terrenas feel ( IMHO) very European, resembling St. Barths back in the 80’s.
Just outside of Las Terrenas the road becomes dirt, with potholes every few feet, making the last 10 minutes a bumpy ride.

An unmarked gated entrance leads to the driveway to The Peninsula House(www.thepeninsulahouse.com). It is not on the beach but offers great views over the coconut groves to the sea. They do have a beach club with a restaurant, lounge chairs in the palm grove and also on the beach. This has to be one of the best small hotel/homes I have had the pleasure of staying in. Everything from the first contact by email to what I would like to eat before I departed was handled perfectly.

Room

All of similar design and size (I saw them all), some bathrooms have double sinks some single. Separate bathtubs, and shower in all. Central air is powerful and keeps the room cold. All have views to the sea and mountain sides and gardens. Great bed linens and piles of towels make sleeping and getting clean very easy. Bottled water is provided all day and at turndown. Ice is always refreshed in the room and housekeeping must have come in the room at least six times to keep things perfect yet I never saw them.

All are comfortable and someone always offers their services whenever you sit or just pass through. The owners have filled these spaces with great pieces from all over the globe, again website shows it all very well.

Pool

Good size for a hotel with six rooms. A pool house with comfortable seating, a kitchen, full bath and a massage room. There is also an outside shower among the gardens. Different terraces hold pairs of lounge chairs, a small table, and umbrella. Plenty of towels, to help your self to and cold drinks in fridge with a honor bar You are frequently checked on by the owners and staff to see if you need anything.

Dining

Breakfast: Glad the owners are both French and an American who lived in France, lets just say it was delicious and plentiful with no less then three fresh squeezed juices placed on the table in crystal decanters.

Lunch: Served down at the Beach. This is open to the public but they reserve tables for hotel guest first so during breakfast they will ask you if you will be having lunch at the Beach. Great music is played all day and you can eat whenever you feel like it. Coson Beach is where this is located, with little development along it. Guest are driven up and down the hill to the beach whenever you wish to move but I rented a ATV and loved having the freedom to come and go as I pleased.

Dinner: Choices are offered during the day so no decisions are needed to be made once the evening begins with cocktails. The food was again very good and table settings had plenty of cutlery for the many courses. Flowers, candles, fine linen and china also make the table very impressive.
Service: The owners and staff will do as much or as little for you during your stay as you wish. They booked my internal flights and car transfer back to the international airport. Both flying and driving to Las Terrenas are advisable as they offer great views. My ATV was waiting for me the day after I arrived and a guide was arranged for a hike to El Limon, a must see in the early morning before other tourist arrive. The guide and myself were the only ones there thanks to great planning by the hotel.

Overall

My stay included all meals but most times of the year the rate includes breakfast. I never signed for anything and was told that’s how it’s done even when lunch and dinner are not included in the price. The staff will help with reservations at the many restaurants that are in Las Terrenas, either for lunch or dinner. The town is charming and is worth spending time eating, drinking, shopping and walking on the beach.

Trip Report: The Peninsula House

Would you like to write a review on the The Peninsula House?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.