Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

FS BKK to be rebranded Anatara within the year.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FS BKK to be rebranded Anatara within the year.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
If people and hardware stay the same I doubt you feel so much difference. Sometimes I wonder about the brand-love at this forum. Take the same hotel and call it Four Seasons or Aman and itīs without doubt a great luxury Hotel. Take the same hotel with identical service and call it Intercontinental, Anantara or what ever and some people will tell you it`s no luxury, upscale etc. I bet that Aman could build a (objective) 3 star and many would still pay crazy rates and love it. I don`t say Iīm not brand-addicted too, but in this case Iīm with Mike. Let`s see how they do and if it really slips down. Judging on pictures from hardware I would never choose the actual FS in BKK. But this is personal taste.
I disagree. It's about standards of the brand across all of it's properties. Lots of hotels have solid hardware, but fail big on the service and spending front.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 6:26 pm
Suspended

If people and hardware stay the same I doubt you feel so much difference. Sometimes I wonder about the brand-love at this forum. Take the same hotel and call it Four Seasons or Aman and itīs without doubt a great luxury Hotel. Take the same hotel with identical service and call it Intercontinental, Anantara or what ever and some people will tell you it`s no luxury, upscale etc. I bet that Aman could build a (objective) 3 star and many would still pay crazy rates and love it. I don`t say Iīm not brand-addicted too, but in this case Iīm with Mike. Let`s see how they do and if it really slips down. Judging on pictures from hardware I would never choose the actual FS in BKK. But this is personal taste.
+10000.

FWIW, your second to last sentence, "judging on pictures...would never choose the actual FS in BKK." -- Couldn't agree more. When I was planning my upcoming Thailand trip, and was making a list of potential hotels for BKK, the FS didn't even make the list when I compiled a top 3-5 options.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: BAEC
Ok, so what ARE your top 3-5 options for top hotels in BKK?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by docmcdreamy
Ok, so what ARE your top 3-5 options for top hotels in BKK?
Siam
MO
Pen

Ps, it seems that the FS has already been rebranded - at least on Virtuoso.com
Old Feb 28, 2015, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Siam
MO
Pen

Ps, it seems that the FS has already been rebranded - at least on Virtuoso.com
Siam will stun you in almost every way. A must-try for the spa and Thompson bar.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aventine
Siam will stun you in almost every way. A must-try for the spa and Thompson bar.
Look forward it. Met the GM a number of times. He was the one who convinced me to stay there in the first place. (I was booked at the St. Regis initially.) He gave me the following argument: who would go to Paris and want to be in the financial district? Me: good point! Went back to my hotel room and changed hotels immediately ^
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:45 am

I'm still interested in a more 'central' location as I'm only there for 3 nights so would be out and about for quite a bit and enjoy going out to hawker stalls to eat rather than at the hotel. Was tempted to book FS BKK but I'm not sure if it's risky to do that now seeing that Anantara is taking over tomorrow...any advice??!
Is MO or The Siam really far out of the interesting areas? I prefer to be central.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:44 am

I'm still interested in a more 'central' location as I'm only there for 3 nights so would be out and about for quite a bit and enjoy going out to hawker stalls to eat rather than at the hotel. Was tempted to book FS BKK but I'm not sure if it's risky to do that now seeing that Anantara is taking over tomorrow...any advice??!
Is MO or The Siam really far out of the interesting areas? I prefer to be central.
You don't have to worry about the reflagging of the property as Anantara. It is still under the same ownership, will have the same staff, and an excellent GM who was previously at FS Bangkok and was more recently GM of FS Chiang Mai.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
What should happen? Forget to help you with your lagguage? OK, without joking: I once booked the FS Aviara and 2 days before my stay it was reflaged as Park Hyatt. So I thought about cancling. Total rubbish! At the hotel I got a double upgrade and everything was like it should be. As Long as they donīt fire the whole staff itīsafe.....
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:23 am

FYI
Stayed at Anantara recently. Never stayed here before when it was a Four Seasons but interior looks the same as the advertised pictures when it was a Four Seasons.

Service could be improved for sure - receptionist seemed surprised to see me there when checking in, took ages to check us in (So we felt a little unwelcome) and asked whether we wanted a double or twin room when I have already booked a double room etc. The only other Four Seasons I've ever stayed before was at San Francisco and the service there was top notch, way better than Bangkok.

But location is excellent and facilities (esp gym) are good. Wifi connection pretty fast (included already, I think I was charged at Four Seasons SF). At the end of the day, I am glad we chose this location - we were there approximately 1 week after the bomb had happened and the hotel is just around the corner from the Erawan Shrine. Security was tight everywhere, including main entrance of hotels and all the shopping malls. In all honesty we were a little frightened to venture out anywhere so ate at the hotel a lot, but grew some balls on the last day and went to the shopping malls to eat - there were security checks there too so we felt a little safer. I know it is stupid but it's psychological I guess.

I also had the impression the hotel was popular among Chinese tourists but in fairness there were many tourists from Asia in the whole of Bangkok at the time anyway.

If you want top notch service e.g. Amanpuri/Raffles Singapore standard you should look elsewhere, but for the purposes of my trip (just a short city break) it was fine and location was fantastic, and we got a good deal so no complaints here.

Last edited by docmcdreamy; Aug 31, 2015 at 3:33 am
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:35 am
Suspended

FYI
Stayed at Anantara recently. Never stayed here before when it was a Four Seasons but interior looks the same as the advertised pictures when it was a Four Seasons.

Service could be improved for sure - receptionist seemed surprised to see me there when checking in, took ages to check us in (So we felt a little unwelcome) and asked whether we wanted a double or twin room when I have already booked a double room etc. The only other Four Seasons I've ever stayed before was at San Francisco and the service there was top notch, way better than Bangkok.

But location is excellent and facilities (esp gym) are good. Wifi connection pretty fast (included already, I think I was charged at Four Seasons SF). At the end of the day, I am glad we chose this location - we were there approximately 1 week after the bomb had happened and the hotel is just around the corner from the Erawan Shrine. Security was tight everywhere, including main entrance of hotels and all the shopping malls. In all honesty we were a little frightened to venture out anywhere so ate at the hotel a lot, but grew some balls on the last day and went to the shopping malls to eat - there were security checks there too so we felt a little safer. I know it is stupid but it's psychological I guess.

I also had the impression the hotel was popular among Chinese tourists but in fairness there were many tourists from Asia in the whole of Bangkok at the time anyway.

If you want top notch service e.g. Amanpuri/Raffles Singapore standard you should look elsewhere, but for the purposes of my trip (just a short city break) it was fine and location was fantastic, and we got a good deal so no complaints here.
Thanks for the feedback, docmcdreamy.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:05 pm

But surprised to hear that as I felt standards haven't slipped. It's sad they weren't able to make you feel special.

For service, Siam or MO remain gold standard in BKK.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:22 am

I think that like many hotels in Bangkok, this hotel has to basically wear two hats. They offer a very high level of service to certain guests, but also sell a lot of standard rooms to tour groups, on third party websites, and even to certain airlines that use this hotel to accommodate their crew members, etc...

Ways to ensure a high level of service are:

Be a regular guest
Book directly or through Virtuoso etc. (the hotel is no longer Amex FHR)
Book high category rooms or suites
Book with Executive club access (included for suite guests)
Use the hotel car for arrival and departure. It's cheap in BKK and it definitely improves the arrival experience at this hotel.

This is not only true of Anantara. The same applies to most of the city's high-end hotels. The Peninsula and even the Mandarin Oriental cater to tour groups at times, and otherwise discount their standard rooms. Anantara Siam has a relatively large number of rooms for a high-end hotel, so to get the best service one has to somehow be differentiated from the hundreds of other guests that might be staying.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I think that like many hotels in Bangkok, this hotel has to basically wear two hats. They offer a very high level of service to certain guests, but also sell a lot of standard rooms to tour groups, on third party websites, and even to certain airlines that use this hotel to accommodate their crew members, etc...

Ways to ensure a high level of service are:

Be a regular guest
Book directly or through Virtuoso etc. (the hotel is no longer Amex FHR)
Book high category rooms or suites
Book with Executive club access (included for suite guests)
Use the hotel car for arrival and departure. It's cheap in BKK and it definitely improves the arrival experience at this hotel.

This is not only true of Anantara. The same applies to most of the city's high-end hotels. The Peninsula and even the Mandarin Oriental cater to tour groups at times, and otherwise discount their standard rooms. Anantara Siam has a relatively large number of rooms for a high-end hotel, so to get the best service one has to somehow be differentiated from the hundreds of other guests that might be staying.
I know this is often reality, but if itīs true itīs no real luxury hotel in my eyes.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:07 am

I know this is often reality, but if itīs true itīs no real luxury hotel in my eyes.
Well, even the baseline level of service is quite good and would qualify as "luxury" to most people.

At virtually any city hotel in the world regulars and suite guests will often be treated especially well, even if the baseline level of service is already very high.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.