Original Poster

Amanbagh

Amanbagh

Map| 6 Reviews | 50% Recommended

Amanbagh

NH 11A, Near Ajabgarh Fort, Alwar Ajabgarh, Rajasthan 301410 IN

Amanbagh (0 Photo)

Amanbagh

We arrived to Amanbagh for a 4-night stay from Agra with an Aman car (comfortable Mahindra SUV), cost was about 285 Eur. It is roughly a 3-hour journey but the driver proposed to make it more enjoyable by stopping over at Fatehpur Sikri and it was an excellent idea. He was able to arrange a last minute tour with a guide and it was really worth it, better actually than going from and back to Agra as you will save some time otherwise spent in traffic jams on your way back.

We were offered cold towels, nuts and cookies during the journey and overall the road is not so bad, only a little bumpy as you approach the hotel. At first it seems it is lost in the middle of nowhere, and without a driver I guess we would have stopped before reaching it. But then you see the Amanbagh sign and you enter a green oasis. We were greeted by the hotel staff and we were very pleased to see the General Manager we had initially met in Amanzoe at a different position.

We had booked our stay through Amex FHR program (Fine Hotels & Resorts) with breakfast included and a complimentary 1-hour massage.

Welcome ceremony was very touching, and you understand right from the beginning that your stay will be very special. Amanbagh is actually quite small: 39 suites & pavilions spread around the beautiful 33m swimming pool. The main building includes the lobby, bar, library, all day venue restaurant and boutique (selling nice jewellery from Jaipur and various silk fabrics, cashmere, etc.). On the other side is the 12m wading pool and two small buildings: gym and spa.

Room

We were staying in pool pavilion #3 and we loved it as there was a lot of shadow around the pool. If you want more sun pavilion #2 will meet your expectation, I have not seen the other ones to tell. Pavilion is divided into shared living and bedroom area on one side and bathroom on the other side. It is the most beautiful bathroom we ever saw, yet very convenient and 'user-friendly'. Green marble bathtub in the centre with the high cupola ceiling is a masterpiece. 2 vanities, separate shower and loo, 2 walk-in closet, everything is nice and well thought about. The outside area is great. The 9m swimming pool was a bit cold (weather was good with some rain twice and temperatures ranging from 30 to 35C) but we enjoyed spending time there in full privacy with only parrots and peacocks.

Dining

We had all meals at the restaurant (a la carte breakfast, lunch and dinner) but even after four days we were not bored, and the chef was delighted to prepare anything which was not on the menu. We had Western, Indian and Asian dishes. Products are high quality and service is perfect (warm, attentive and professional). Price-wise light lunch ranged from 50 to 75 Eur for 2 people, and 3-course dinner including 2 glasses of wine from 140 to 150 Eur.

Overall

Everyday was a surprise with a nice touch from the staff. On the first evening we were said that we shall follow them and not seat at the restaurant table. Actually they had prepared a private dinner setting on the library terrace with candles and floral artwork on the floor. It was magical and so unexpected. On the second evening when we came back to our pavilion after dinner we were surprised by nearly 10 people including the General Manager for a traditional welcome ceremony. I have no words to express how every new day was an amazement. I know I may sound a bit over enthusiastic but it is really very special and so different from the usual hotel stay (it is only our third Aman).

Spa is reasonably priced (about 120 Eur for a 100-minute treatment). I had planned to go to the gym but the cardio equipment is limited and I preferred to try the 1-hour yoga morning class at 11am by the pool.

Wifi is free of charge but speed is extremely low and hopefully they will improve the situation.

We had 3 excursions. On the first day we had a 1h30 'morning walk' starting at 7:30am which allows you to discover the hotel surroundings and the nearby village (200 inhabitants). It is a great way to understand how the hotel interacts with its environment. On the second day we went to Somsagar lake starting again at 7:30am with a very skilled guide who helped us to spot many birds and explain the use of various plants. He even showed us the footprint of a leopard who passed by probably a few hours before. It takes 2 hours and it was a very nice walk suitable for all levels (still anticipate walking or at least sports shoes). Third excursion was to Bhanghar, this site is beautiful (especially the view from the royal palace at sunset) and very peaceful.

On our last evening we had the special Chhatri dinner. Depending on the season it faces a lake (end of the monsoon) or fields cultivated by the local farmers. This dinner was roughly 280 Eur for 2 excluding beverages. Out of this and so private.

Tipping is not very easy in some countries where you go for the first time. I asked to charge 50kINR to my credit card, I hope it was appropriate as we really enjoyed our stay, probably one of the very best hotel experience we had. We left with an Aman car to Jaipur airport. It is a 1h30 journey but it is safer to plan 2 hours. Cost was less than 115 Eur.

Overall we had a terrific stay, and we can't wait for our next Aman!

Amanbagh

Would you like to write a review on the Amanbagh?

No, thank you.
Yes

Search this Thread
Search Engine: