Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

LHW leaders club updates and comments

Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, IC Plat RA, Fairmont Plat...

" Upgrade Policy Update
Effective January 1, 2015, Leaders Club Unlimited members will have priority status for one-category upgrades at all of our hotels around the world. Upgrades may be requested at check-in and will be granted on the basis of availability and at the hotel’s discretion; upgrades can no longer be guaranteed in advance. "

As we all know upgrades at the hotel's discretion based upon availability at check-in means basically no upgrades anymore.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
This really sucks. Way to kill a loyalty program. It's also annoying - I paid the full amount for LHW Unlimited about two months ago based on their marketing promises. 2 months into my membership year, they kill the most important benefit.

Last edited by Football Fan; Nov 4, 2014 at 11:36 am
Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Football Fan
This really sucks. Way to kill a loyalty program.
I suggest you complain so they will at least try and find an alternative benefit to replace this.

Email Ted Teng the CEO:

[email protected]

Now there is very little reason to book via LHW.

Last edited by r281; Nov 4, 2014 at 12:06 pm Reason: email
Old Nov 4, 2014, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by r281
" Upgrade Policy Update
Effective January 1, 2015, Leaders Club Unlimited members will have priority status for one-category upgrades at all of our hotels around the world. Upgrades may be requested at check-in and will be granted on the basis of availability and at the hotel’s discretion; upgrades can no longer be guaranteed in advance. "

As we all know upgrades at the hotel's discretion based upon availability at check-in means basically no upgrades anymore.
And if I´m right suites were always excluded So as I book a Suite everytime it really makes sense to me Can´t see any reason to buy this membership....
Old Nov 4, 2014, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
And if I´m right suites were always excluded So as I book a Suite everytime it really makes sense to me Can´t see any reason to buy this membership....
Correct I don't see why they've devalued the membership like this as suites were always excluded. And the room category was only 1 category (junior suites excluded too) and only if available at time of booking.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
I can see that guaranteed upgrades at time of booking can be very difficult or even impossible for hotels in some situations (unless they downgrade or walk other guests). My recommendation would be to change that to what Centurion does: "Room upgrade will be confirmed at time of reservation subject to availability."
Old Nov 5, 2014, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by DUflyer
I can see that guaranteed upgrades at time of booking can be very difficult or even impossible for hotels in some situations (unless they downgrade or walk other guests). My recommendation would be to change that to what Centurion does: "Room upgrade will be confirmed at time of reservation subject to availability."
An upgrade at time of booking is relative common with virtuoso. Also why should it be a problem? Of course they can`t sell the better room/ suite to other guests but same when I pay for it. In the end I look at the rate if an upgrade is guaranteed and judge if the upgraded room is worth the rate. So I normally woudn`t book the original one. It`s a kind of promotion rate ....
Old Nov 5, 2014, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DUflyer
I believe this was already the case. LHW Unlimited members got a guaranteed one category room upgrade if available at time of booking if it was a publicly available rate.

Any unlimited booking would automatically generate an email to the hotel to adjust inventory accordingly so there would be no issues as you mention above.

http://www.leadingportal.com/Extrane...ing_Manual.pdf

Centurion and Virtuoso seem to manage it I don't understand why LHW stopped

http://www.classictravel.com/instant-upgrade-hotels
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:38 am

I believe this was already the case. LHW Unlimited members got a guaranteed one category room upgrade if available at time of booking if it was a publicly available rate.

Any unlimited booking would automatically generate an email to the hotel to adjust inventory accordingly so there would be no issues as you mention above.

http://www.leadingportal.com/Extrane...ing_Manual.pdf

Centurion and Virtuoso seem to manage it I don't understand why LHW stopped

http://www.classictravel.com/instant-upgrade-hotels
Certain properties probably did not think it was worthwhile to participate.

Because "Unlimited" status is available to anyone for purchase, people probably just bought the status if the rate differential exceeded $1200. Therefore it may not promote true "loyalty" and could have even canibalised revenue from guests who would have booked higher categoies anyway.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Certain properties probably did not think it was worthwhile to participate.

Because "Unlimited" status is available to anyone for purchase, people probably just bought the status if the rate differential exceeded $1200. Therefore it may not promote true "loyalty" and could have even canibalised revenue from guests who would have booked higher categoies anyway.
Amex centurion can be bought and virtuoso is completely free.

If you consider suites and junior suites are excluded the price difference between room catergories is on average about 50 usd.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

If you consider suites and junior suites are excluded the price difference between room catergories is on average about 50 usd.
That´s the point 50 or 100 $ are not that much that I don`t buy the room itself. Also with Virtuoso guaranteed upgrades are limited. For example at MO New York you don`t get an upgrade from room to suite, but you get an upgrade from suite to suite. Signature suites are often excluded.

@ Centurion: As far as I know you can`t really buy it.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:24 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

LHW leaders club eliminates "guaranteed upgrade @ booking" benefit as of Jan 2015

This was originally part of another LHW thread on best hotels but is important enough that it deserves wider notice and a thread of its own, so I have moved the relevant posts here.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:25 am

Centurion requires significant spend to elicit invitation. Unless I am missing something it cannot be bought cheaply by anyone like Leaders Club status can.

Virtuoso confirmed upgrades are either negotiated by agent, or part of an individual hotel or resort's negotiated contract with Virtuoso. LHW unlimited is different, as it applies more or less uniformly to all properties.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Centurion requires significant spend to elicit invitation. Unless I am missing something it cannot be bought cheaply by anyone like Leaders Club status can.

Virtuoso confirmed upgrades are either negotiated by agent, or part of an individual hotel or resort's negotiated contract with Virtuoso. LHW unlimited is different, as it applies more or less uniformly to all properties.
Not all; some properties are excluded such as Sandy Lane in Barbados etc where no upgrades for anyone

Last edited by r281; Feb 9, 2015 at 10:43 am
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by offerendum
An upgrade at time of booking is relative common with virtuoso. Also why should it be a problem? Of course they can`t sell the better room/ suite to other guests but same when I pay for it. In the end I look at the rate if an upgrade is guaranteed and judge if the upgraded room is worth the rate. So I normally woudn`t book the original one. It`s a kind of promotion rate ....
Assume you book the highest room category that is available at the time of your booking, but the hotel has higher room categories. What is the hotel supposed to do when your upgrade is guaranteed?
They can downgrade another guest to give you their room or walk another guest. Guaranteeing an upgrade that is not available doesn't work.

That's why they should offer an upgrade if available at time of booking. If unavailable, they could upgrade as soon as it becomes available, or only charge you for the room category one below what you booked if no upgrade is available.

The new "benefit" (stay credits don't expire if you renew) they give us in return for the lost upgrade is quite ridiculous. First of all, that has always been the case and secondly who cares. What would be a real benefit is if the complimentary nights don't expire if membership gets renewed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.