LHW leaders club updates and comments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHW leaders club updates and comments

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2019, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by behuman
LHW is a dying product, obviously not their (former) members, many of them are really excellent. Remember when MO, Kempinski and Orient Express (now Belmond) were part of them. What is remaining now? Swiss Deluxe hotels perhaps? Some overpriced places in Italy? Sad, but marketing and the internet changed all. Interestingly the Relais&Ch teaux survived and could keep their prestige and their product intact focused on food quality and uniqueness.

The only LHW property I regularly patronized lately has been taken over by a scaring middle eastern clientele (all doors open, guards for the ladies, the smell etc.....) where as a gay couple we felt increasingly uncomfortable

So just give up LC membership!

BTW: A former chairman of LHW I met last week just refurbished a boutique property (room rate CHF 160 to 180) on Lake Geneva in the lakeside village of Cully, just on the water. What a trend!
Well the average standards of most R&C are nothing to write home about either. Some properties may be interesting individually but as a brand quite dead, much like LHW.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:15 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by scented
Well the average standards of most R&C are nothing to write home about either. Some properties may be interesting individually but as a brand quite dead, much like LHW.
You are right that R&C can be eclectic, this unexpected factor makes their charm for some types of guests and I can assure you that the brand is extremely popular in Europe where the term has become common use for describing a nice, charming hotel with good food.
submonte likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by r281
The CEO just resigned it seems https://www.luxurytraveladvisor.com/...-stepping-down
Wonder what happened.
He probably saw the booking data of the last quarter and is now leaving the sinking ship...
Football Fan likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Had a lovely stay at Le Mount Stephen in Montreal over the weekend and was upgraded as a LC member.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:25 pm

The worst investment I ever made was 1200usd to an unlimited membership that was later devalued to close to nothing. The day this membership expires I will hopefully forget about this program. Previously I would book a hotel because it was a member of LHW. In the future I will book leading hotels, not necessaririly LHW members, and under no circumstances via lhw.com
I don’t even have to hope the worst for this program, because I’m confident that they have managed to destroy a good reputation on their own.
Football Fan and offerendum like this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
I stayed two properties as an Aurelian status, and was offered $100 credit at both hotels same as before. So it looks like the $100 benefit still stands at most hotels. But since I can book through Virtuoso or other program for the same benefit, why would I bothered to pay $1500... for paltry points..?
And they changed the whole program without honoring the benefits they promised when they took $1200 for unlimited membership, I would never believe them again. They are con group.

They just lost two properties Shutters on the Beach and Casa Del Mar, which was great hotels in Santa Monica. It looks like they concentrate their program to Europe, and doesn't care about the rest. My membership will end on April, and I will erase this program from my head forever.
Football Fan, ABG and behuman like this.

Last edited by scienm; Mar 4, 2019 at 5:51 pm
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by scienm
I stayed two properties as an Aurelian status, and was offered $100 credit at both hotels same as before. So it looks like the $100 benefit still stands at most hotels. But since I can book through Virtuoso or other program for the same benefit, why would I bothered to pay $1500... for paltry points..?
And they changed the whole program without honoring the benefits they promised when they took $1200 for unlimited membership, I would never believe them again. They are con group.

They just lost two properties Shutters on the Beach and Casa Del Mar, which was great hotels in Santa Monica. It looks like they concentrate their program to Europe, and doesn't care about the rest. My membership will end on April, and I will erase this program from my head forever.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, IC Plat RA, Fairmont Plat...
Originally Posted by ScandicViking
The worst investment I ever made was 1200usd to an unlimited membership that was later devalued to close to nothing. The day this membership expires I will hopefully forget about this program. Previously I would book a hotel because it was a member of LHW. In the future I will book leading hotels, not necessaririly LHW members, and under no circumstances via lhw.com
I don’t even have to hope the worst for this program, because I’m confident that they have managed to destroy a good reputation on their own.
Which hotels still gave the credit? Did you get a good upgrade in each?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, IC Plat RA, Fairmont Plat...
Has anyone had any other feedback or experience with the new Leaders Club programme and the pre-arrival upgrades and points redemptions etc?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
I will erase this program from my head forever.
They will stalk you and offer you free membership, but time sadly is just over for them.

Not all is about money and large hotels where often the other guests are the biggest nuisance Still remember that night at a major 5* hotel in Switzerland with its middle eastern clientele who left the room doors wide open the whole night with the bodyguards circulating in the corridors.
offerendum likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:53 am
Suspended

Is there any benefit to Sterling Status? I will make the spend for it this year without trying, just wondering if I will see any improved treatment? Has been pretty good as a general Leaders Club member. So far this year my stays have been:

- The Grand, Stockholm (Upgraded)
- Gran Melia Fenix, Madrid (Upgraded)
- Hotel Kamp, Helsinki (No Upgrade, first time ever in 10+ visits, hotel totally sold out, I verified this on 3rd party websites and hotel website)
- Hotel Kamp, Helsinki (Upgraded multiple categories)
- Dolder Grand, Zurich (Upgraded)
- Le Negresco, Nice (Upgraded)

Have upcoming stays at Elounda Bay Palace, Hotel Kamp x2, Hazleton. Agree that the brand is virtually useless outside of Western Europe.

Still remember that night at a major 5* hotel in Switzerland with its middle eastern clientele who left the room doors wide open the whole night with the bodyguards circulating in the corridors.
Can't solve this by leaving LHW. I am at the RC Moscow right now and feel like I am in Riyadh. Armed security sitting by the elevator at all times as well. Clients disregarding the non-smoking rules. Lovely.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Can't solve this by leaving LHW. I am at the RC Moscow right now and feel like I am in Riyadh. Armed security sitting by the elevator at all times as well. Clients disregarding the non-smoking rules. Lovely.
Here we go... You can solve it skipping the "big" hotels and leaving it to the ME guests.

Heard about Jean Jacques Gauer? Brillant man from a hotelier family and former chairman of LHW. He just bought a small "auberge" on the shores of Lake Geneva and lovingly restored it. High quality at low prices. Might this be a sign? Where the discerning connoisseurs will stay in the future?

BTW: sorry for your experience
Old Aug 12, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Here we go... You can solve it skipping the "big" hotels and leaving it to the ME guests.

Heard about Jean Jacques Gauer? Brillant man from a hotelier family and former chairman of LHW. He just bought a small "auberge" on the shores of Lake Geneva and lovingly restored it. High quality at low prices. Might this be a sign? Where the discerning connoisseurs will stay in the future?

BTW: sorry for your experience
I think there were Always this places in both directions. Also I dare to claim Moscow is a special market.
This said LHW is another question. Not sure if Leaders Club will survive but I´m sure there is still a market for something like LHW. Nevertheless if I remember correctly 30 years ago in most cities the best hotels were part of LHW, but it was also at least in Europe a time international chains like Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental were not that present, FS for excample had until 1993 only the London hotel.

Also there are some local projects like "Selektion deutscher Luxushotels" or "Swiss Deluxe Hotels".
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Is there any benefit to Sterling Status? I will make the spend for it this year without trying, just wondering if I will see any improved treatment? Has been pretty good as a general Leaders Club member. So far this year my stays have been:

- The Grand, Stockholm (Upgraded)
- Gran Melia Fenix, Madrid (Upgraded)
- Hotel Kamp, Helsinki (No Upgrade, first time ever in 10+ visits, hotel totally sold out, I verified this on 3rd party websites and hotel website)
- Hotel Kamp, Helsinki (Upgraded multiple categories)
- Dolder Grand, Zurich (Upgraded)
- Le Negresco, Nice (Upgraded)
Most of those hotels are also part of Virtuoso which gets you $100 credit per stay additionally.
If most of your stays are longer than 1~2 nights, LHW maybe the right program for you. But if not, why would you pay $175 for less benefit?
offerendum likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:14 am
Suspended

Most of those hotels are also part of Virtuoso which gets you $100 credit per stay additionally.
If most of your stays are longer than 1~2 nights, LHW maybe the right program for you. But if not, why would you pay $175 for less benefit?
can’t you stack virtuoso and LHW benefits on the same booking? My primary program is Bonvoy, I just happen to like enough LHW properties that I end up there a decent # of nights/year. I’m going to be ~$400 short of Sterling. Worth one night somewhere to get over the line or no real benefit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.