Siem Reap luxury hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Siem Reap luxury hotels

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:48 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Bungus
How can you say that a hotel is totally worth the price, when the food is just OK and the staff lack personality? We are in South East Asia, no one lacks personality here. Aman hotels have the most beautifully designed hotels, but they have forgotten or overlooked the human aspect and the ergonomics of hospitality. The day they get that right, they will be unbeatable.
Think people's opinions will differ - I agree that the food was just OK but I would absolutely disagree with staff lack personality. The Amansara staff were fantastic.

Edit: Read your response to having stayed at some Amans - that's a pity to hear! The only Aman I've come across where the staff lacked personality were at Amanbagh, and the GM was off-site. The GM at Aman-i-Khas was also off site, but what a memorable stay it was.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

- kila - aman veterans GM ernst ludick & chef Shane Lewis well regarded here at the moment, along with ian white, not sure if ian is based more at nusa or jiwo

- galla - GM sean flakelar long well regarded here

- sveti - GM tapa tibble was well regarded here while at pulo

(most GMs remain aman veterans, but some properties having other various issues)

- dec 31 2016 amansara >

(astrid has positive comments here from before she became GM)
Ian is at Amanusa. Shane should become a GM somewhere...wonder if he'd ever be keen to give it a try. He's not an Aman veteran though is he? Think he was new, relatively speaking compared to some others mentioned, when I stayed at Amankila.

Astrid has positive comments since Amansara too. She's wonderful.

Don't forget Nicholas at Amanjena.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:38 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Ian is at Amanusa. Shane should become a GM somewhere...wonder if he'd ever be keen to give it a try. He's not an Aman veteran though is he? Think he was new, relatively speaking compared to some others mentioned, when I stayed at Amankila.

Astrid has positive comments since Amansara too. She's wonderful.

Don't forget Nicholas at Amanjena.
Shane could be considered an Aman veteran by now. I'm not sure if he's been other places than Amankila but he was there during our stay in 2013. He was excellent... made our beach bbq an absolute fantastic memory

Astrid was great at Amanjena. When we had premature housekeeping on departure day she was very apologetic and gave us a special parting gift. I can't wait to see her at Amansara

Nicolas is just great. I've reached out to him many times since our Amanjena stay and he's always steered me in the right direction. Really great guy

FDW
Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Astrid was great at Amanjena. When we had premature housekeeping on departure day she was very apologetic and gave us a special parting gift. I can't wait to see her at Amansara
I'm really fond of Astrid as well -- if anyone understands Aman it really is her, glad she's still around and hasn't left.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Shane could be considered an Aman veteran by now. I'm not sure if he's been other places than Amankila but he was there during our stay in 2013. He was excellent... made our beach bbq an absolute fantastic memory
Aman Bali and Indonesia mostly in terms of long term roles I think. Think he was at Amanusa for a while, then Amanwana for a brief period of time.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ian is often at jiwo, recent reports here, jiwo still pending GM (like yara and tokyo)

shane returned, like ernst, donald (and tim)
linkedin.com/in/shane-lewis-2a874725

nicolas well regarded, unfortunately other issues at jena, hopefully being resolved

siem reap >
luxury hotels forum regular re phum baiting >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exper...t-go-back.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 17, 2017 at 4:32 am
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
nicolas well regarded, unfortunately other issues at jena, hopefully being resolved
Think it's okay there now.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:29 pm

A new resort with a "glamping" theme has opened in Siem Reap - The Beige. Anyone with experiences from here? A friend of mine planning a honeymoon is considering this. Trying to nudge him towards Amansara but it is five times more expensive.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:02 am

This thread got a little Aman-hijacked, so it was hard to get the current thinking. Views on which property to stay as a couple and two older teens? Belmond? Aman? PH? Other?

Many thanks,
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Scribble
A new resort with a "glamping" theme has opened in Siem Reap - The Beige. Anyone with experiences from here? A friend of mine planning a honeymoon is considering this. Trying to nudge him towards Amansara but it is five times more expensive.
Quite a few hotels/resorts (typically boutique/independently run, upscale) that are opening up on the outskirts of Siem Reap following Zannier Hotels' Phum Baitang.
There's The Beige as you mentinoed, also Templation.

Originally Posted by flyerwma
This thread got a little Aman-hijacked, so it was hard to get the current thinking. Views on which property to stay as a couple and two older teens? Belmond? Aman? PH? Other?
Many thanks,
Do they need a two bedroom suite? Amansara unfortunately doesn't have one, although as they are older teens they might be okay in a separate room entirely.
It's hard to say just with this information as it really depends on what the teens (and indeed the couple) are like.
Park Hyatt might be a good standard choice, and also the right type of suites (including a two-bedroom pool suite).
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Do they need a two bedroom suite? Amansara unfortunately doesn't have one, although as they are older teens they might be okay in a separate room entirely.
It's hard to say just with this information as it really depends on what the teens (and indeed the couple) are like.
Park Hyatt might be a good standard choice, and also the right type of suites (including a two-bedroom pool suite).
Definitely two rooms. Don't need 2BR suite. Really looking for just a great 5 star property. Couple and teens are easy going, travel a lot. Will be doing all the usual Angkor stuff, so will enjoy a place to relax. Say 2 or 3 nights.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Scribble
Please keep nudging. Is there no place in the world safe from "glamping"?

Originally Posted by flyerwma
Definitely two rooms. Don't need 2BR suite. Really looking for just a great 5 star property. Couple and teens are easy going, travel a lot. Will be doing all the usual Angkor stuff, so will enjoy a place to relax. Say 2 or 3 nights.
Amansara is the ultimate indeed, but PH would also be an option -- Raffles is very tired, despite a nice pool.
offerendum and BESVISOR like this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:34 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
@flyerwma Aman would be ideal but if budget is limited then PH would be the best choice. Also, depending on if you're visiting during the middle of a longer trip, the included laundry at Aman comes in handy as well. I always suggest clients to fit it as a mid stopping point when possible. If so, it can potentially reduce what you pack down to half (at least for the men and assuming you're traveling through similar climate).
Old Apr 26, 2019, 1:17 pm

So is the Park Hyatt a better option than the Belmond?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by scented
Please keep nudging. Is there no place in the world safe from "glamping"? .
Read the word glamping the first time today. Thinks says a lot
Fliar likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.