Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Seasons Tented Camp - site inspection

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by NYBanker
Keen to visit. Thanks for the report.

I've heard of exceptions for kids below 12 on a non-buyout basis, but that may have been an 08/09 special.

You should get to know some of us better! I'm at the tame end. "Dry" isn't a phrase I'd use.
Ha, in that sense, no.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

moved

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 20, 2014 at 9:20 am
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:14 am

IMHO, it is not so much that children are not allowed, it is more that it is not an appropriate place for children.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by speedbird001
IMHO, it is not so much that children are not allowed, it is more that it is not an appropriate place for children.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
originally (this posted may 17 2006) >
Originally Posted by Tboudrot
If a child is under 16, you forfeit your reservation...max of two occupants to each tent
tracking changes i can find >

nov 4 2008 - "only guests aged 13 and above are permitted"
http://web.archive.org/web/200811040...ites/tent.html

dec 12 2008 - "Extra bed (by request) One cot (13 or older)"
http://web.archive.org/web/200812110...ites/tent.html

feb 28 2009 - "or 2 adults and 1 child"
http://web.archive.org/web/200902282...ites/tent.html

mar 31 2009 - "only guests aged 12 and above are permitted"
http://web.archive.org/web/200903311...ites/tent.html

jan 2011 >

Originally Posted by Groombridge
The worst experience I've had with kids anywhere, though, was at Four Seasons Tented Camp, where the new GM has become horribly lax about the published age restriction. There were at least 4 different, unrelated families with children under 10 when I was there last month, and they were terrors--running around the dining area, shrieking, poking people with the Smores sticks, inserting themselves into other groups' conversations, etc. I really liked the Tented Camp, but it would have been a truly wonderful place if they'd simply stuck to their policy of creating an atmosphere free of young children. (I finally asked one of the parents how they'd been able to avoid the age restriction, and they said they'd simply called and demanded to speak to the GM, and he waived the policy without a second thought. Shame on him, as other guests, like ourselves, had selected that property explicitly because it had been sold as a child-free resort.)
Originally Posted by Groombridge
if you care about enjoying the resort as the "no children zone" that they advertise it to be, you may want to confirm in advance with the General Manager that no children will be there. When we went, there were small children in 5 of the tents (none of which were from the same family, nor were they part of a group), and they were, quite frankly, a nightmare--running around the campfire at night nearly poking other guests' eyes out with sharp sticks, screaming, harassing other guests, etc. When I mentioned to one of the parents that I was surprised that they had been able to bring children, they simply said that they asked the General Manager and he told them it was just fine
Receive a 20% discount on a second tent when booked with the first tent. The second tent is for children ages 12 to 18...only guests aged 12 and over are permitted. If a child (aged 12 to 18) is sharing a tent with a parent, an additional daily charge of THB 19,800 will be added
(prior GM Jim Kostecky left by jul 2010)
http://www.4hoteliers.com/features/article/5360

then current GM announced jul / aug 2010
http://www.hospitalitynet.org/staffm.../79001133.html

and camp manager began in sep 2010
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/yonatan-kachko/8/123/9a2

so right before Groombridge stay IIRC around jan 1 2011

Originally Posted by NYBanker
I've heard of exceptions for kids below 12 on a non-buyout basis, but that may have been an 08/09 special.
odd - unclear if 3 adults possible - "2 adults" vs "above" >
http://www.fourseasons.com/goldentri...superior_tent/
2 adults, or 2 adults and 1 child
EXTRA BED One rollaway (for guests aged 12 and above)
and "regardless" >
http://www.fourseasons.com/goldentri...nture_package/
Maximum capacity in a tent is three guests, regardless of the age of the third guest. The supplemental charge for a third person sharing a tent is THB 19,800 per day, subject to 18.5% tax and service charge

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 13, 2015 at 2:01 pm
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:19 am
Suspended

(prior GM Jim Kostecky left by jul 2010)
http://www.4hoteliers.com/features/article/5360

then current GM announced jul / aug 2010
http://www.hospitalitynet.org/staffm.../79001133.html

so right before Groombridge stay IIRC around jan 1 2011

odd - unclear if 3 adults possible - "2 adults" vs "above" >
http://www.fourseasons.com/goldentri...superior_tent/

and "regardless" >
http://www.fourseasons.com/goldentri...nture_package/
Damn Kagehitokiri, if you're half as thorough with legal research, I'd hire you asap...
Old Feb 8, 2015, 11:15 am
Suspended

Ok, so I have a few logistics questions.

Trying to go from CEI to HKT...

Only two options for leaving CEI airport.

(1) 9:25 a.m. departure - getting into Phuket around lunchtime

(2) 3:00 pm ish departure - getting into Phuket at well after 9 p.m.

I know the "as a crow flies" distance from CEI to Tented Camp, but I'm wondering from someone whose actually been: how long does it take to get to the CEI airport from TC?

Meaning, if I have a 9:30ish a.m. departure from CEI....what time will I be leaving TC?

Rather not get into HKT late at night (whether that be 9 pm or 11 pm)...but I need logistics insight from a prior guest

Thanks!
Old Feb 8, 2015, 3:04 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by pricesquire
I know the "as a crow flies" distance from CEI to Tented Camp, but I'm wondering from someone whose actually been: how long does it take to get to the CEI airport from TC?
As I recall, maybe 90 minutes or a bit less.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
It took me about 75 mins from Ananatara (next door) to CEI. But, that was driving right out the resort. IIRC isn't FS entry/exit by boat only? if so, add some time on. CEI is very small and there were no lines for security when I was there. Pleasant little airport.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by cruisr
It took me about 75 mins from Ananatara (next door) to CEI. But, that was driving right out the resort. IIRC isn't FS entry/exit by boat only? if so, add some time on. CEI is very small and there were no lines for security when I was there. Pleasant little airport.
It is a nice little airport. It has probably the smallest Business class lounge that I have ever seen in my life, which was so full of passengers when I was there that we had to take our refreshments to seats outside in order to sit down.

FS GT is accessible by car as well, so the boat transfers are not necessary if you would prefer to leave more quickly. Drive time should be the same as from Anantara next door.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 6:39 am
Suspended

I'm more inclined to take the advice referenced above, but interestingly, I posted the same question on the Chiang Rai forum of TripAdvisor. I got a reply from a "local" - a "Destination Expert" on the area, who said for a 9:30 a.m. flight, you need 3 hours and you're going to have to leave at 5 a.m......

I find this SO hard to believe for an airport as small as CEI!

More inclined to take the earlier flight so I can make use of my day at Trisara.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 6:53 am

Unless you're pressed for time on this trip, I would suggest taking the afternoon flight. You'll be at Trisara in time for a nice dinner, and then can get up and enjoy the next day. For me, waking up early in the morning at FS GT would be worse than spending the afternoon/evening in transit, so taking the later flight would be the lesser of two evils.

TG has direct flights from CNX (Chiang Mai) to HKT on certain days, so driving to CNX and taking that flight could be another option depending on the flight timing. It is possible that could be faster because it would eliminate the layover in BKK.

Half jokingly, I will mention that the resort can arrange helicopter transfers. M Jets could also provide a private flight directly to HKT at whatever time is convenient for you.

Edited to add:

I just checked and it looks like the TG flight from CNX to HKT is quite early in the morning (8:40) and only operates on certain days, so it is not really an option for a departure from FS GT, unless you got to CNX by helicopter

If I had a lot of time and my travel dates lined up with the direct flight from CNX to HKT, I would be tempted to spend one night in Chiang Mai, perhaps at Anantara. That would allow for a leisurely departure from FS GT and a nice drive to Chiang Mai, followed by the direct flight to HKT the next morning. Considering the room rates at FS GT and Trisara, spending a night in Chiang Mai would be preferable to "wasting" nights costing thousands of dollars for a day that you will spend in transit anyway.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Feb 9, 2015 at 7:08 am
Old Feb 9, 2015, 7:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Unless you're pressed for time on this trip, I would suggest taking the afternoon flight. You'll be at Trisara in time for a nice dinner, and then can get up and enjoy the next day. For me, waking up early in the morning at FS GT would be worse than spending the afternoon/evening in transit, so taking the later flight would be the lesser of two evils.

TG has direct flights from CNX (Chiang Mai) to HKT on certain days, so driving to CNX and taking that flight could be another option depending on the flight timing. It is possible that could be faster because it would eliminate the layover in BKK.

Half jokingly, I will mention that the resort can arrange helicopter transfers. M Jets could also provide a private flight directly to HKT at whatever time is convenient for you.

Edited to add:

I just checked and it looks like the TG flight from CNX to HKT is quite early in the morning (8:40) and only operates on certain days, so it is not really an option for a departure from FS GT, unless you got to CNX by helicopter

If I had a lot of time and my travel dates lined up with the direct flight from CNX to HKT, I would be tempted to spend one night in Chiang Mai, perhaps at Anantara. That would allow for a leisurely departure from FS GT and a nice drive to Chiang Mai, followed by the direct flight to HKT the next morning. Considering the room rates at FS GT and Trisara, spending a night in Chiang Mai would be preferable to "wasting" nights costing thousands of dollars for a day that you will spend in transit anyway.
Taking the afternoon flight. Will spend morning at TC and get to HKT by 9:45 pm. Not pressed for time, so I'll take the leisurely route. Good thinking.

I like you're thinking re: overnight at CNX, and would if the CEI to HKT flight was terrible....but it's really not that bad. 5.5 hours total travel time from CEI to HKT. I've had worse
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:32 am

Hi all,

First post here - Doing a trip next Feb - and wanted input on three-day itinerary... It talks about getting settled the first day, elephant training, and short walk the second day, then an activity the third day...

My question is - are they flexible on this? If we decided we wanted to do another elephant walk the 3rd day, do you expect they'd accomodate us? I'm sure there are activities that people enjoy, it just seems to me, the experience here is the elephants - not a day trip to Burma/Laos....

Any input greatly appreciated... Andrew.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:38 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
I believe a three day package has an elephant walk on the third day.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by andybeach99
Hi all,

First post here - Doing a trip next Feb - and wanted input on three-day itinerary... It talks about getting settled the first day, elephant training, and short walk the second day, then an activity the third day...

My question is - are they flexible on this? If we decided we wanted to do another elephant walk the 3rd day, do you expect they'd accomodate us? I'm sure there are activities that people enjoy, it just seems to me, the experience here is the elephants - not a day trip to Burma/Laos....

Any input greatly appreciated... Andrew.
Just got back from a 3 nighter here (Was there two weeks ago).

They're flexible, with a caveat. Will PM you my itinerary which I thought was a good pace.

PS, the Burma excursion was one of the best excursions I've ever had, ANYWHERE. 10/10.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.