Four Seasons Tented Camp - site inspection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Seasons Tented Camp - site inspection

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:09 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by aa213bb
So do they then have an "upper boundary" on age restriction? The same point could be argued for those past middle age, right?
Anyone with any physical issues in walking should not go to this resort. I don't believe it is very PC for a hotel to post that as an official policy
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by ABG
Anyone with any physical issues in walking should not go to this resort. I don't believe it is very PC for a hotel to post that as an official policy
Sorry, ABG, should've put a "" after my post. My tongue's firmly planted in my cheek.

Old Oct 13, 2014, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by pricesquire
According to the Four Seasons own website, the Burma tour is the shortest of all off-site tours available @ 4 hours...and mahout training is only 3 hours. So, for 3 nights and about 4 days of down time, I think there's room for at least one off-site tour.

http://www.fourseasons.com/goldentri...ng_chiang_rai/
Everyone does things differently, I prefer to take my time and not pack too many activities into a short stay. Trust me, after the mahout training you will need to relax and have a massage.

While three nights may be enough, I think it is better to stay for four nights if possible.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Everyone does things differently, I prefer to take my time and not pack too many activities into a short stay. Trust me, after the mahout training you will need to relax and have a massage.

While three nights may be enough, I think it is better to stay for four nights if possible.
You're probably right, but....too late now. As is, the week I'm there is full (and I booked 2+ months ago). I had to shift around my whole trip just to get 3 nights - entirely canceling the Koh Samui portion of my trip.

Figure I'll do mahout training morning/day 1. Day 2 Burma.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:06 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Try the Black Ivory coffee. It's like Kopi Luwak but for elephants with a charitable spin.

Since you're there for the elephants I recommend that sunrise walk.

I do not think that the private dinner is worth it.

There are some really interesting people that stay there that you'll enjoy chatting with. It's not like the typical FS where I think the average income is only 400k. Much wealthier!

Burma, meh. Just do the standard tour with the Golden Triangle since the Burma tour won't go anywhere interesting enough.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:18 am
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by declinespecificinformation
There are some really interesting people that stay there that you'll enjoy chatting with. It's not like the typical FS where I think the average income is only 400k. Much wealthier!
So interesting = wealthy?

And seriously, who cares how much other people make? When I was there (granted this was shortly after opening), there was only one other couple at the resort and we really enjoyed their company. And not one mention of how much we made.

If the extent of the conversation with other guests is now limited to net worth, then I would rather be left alone, because I cannot deal with that level of pretentiousness.

Having said all of this, I do think the tented camp is worth a visit - it's certainly a unique experience.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:04 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Not what I meant, but I can see how you interpret it as such. My point is this: it attracts a different sort of crowd than most Four Seasons. They tend to be wealthier with different types of jobs/experiences. While you may find movie stars or hedge fund managers no more interesting than lets say the average FS guest, I do.

Perhaps I'll just emend it and say this: "It attracts different, often more wealthy, guests than most FS hotels. I found that these people were interesting, not because they are better or that wealthier = better, but I just found the people interesting (because I am NOT a hedge fund manager). That's just my humble opinion."

No need to read more than that into the sentence, unless of course you want to make another point. And you are entirely free to do so.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:22 am

One does not necessarily have to be wealthy to spend $6~10k on a stay at FS GT.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Hard to say something about it! Only I don`t care how much people earn, says nothing about education and manners.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
One does not necessarily have to be wealthy to spend $6~10k on a stay at FS GT.
Bingo

[says me, one of those not-wealthy people, a lifelong student with not many interesting things to talk about ]
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
Hard to say something about it! Only I don`t care how much people earn, says nothing about education and manners.
Agreed. Actually the statement actually contravenes manners and social skills.

Not what I meant, but I can see how you interpret it as such. My point is this: it attracts a different sort of crowd than most Four Seasons. They tend to be wealthier with different types of jobs/experiences. While you may find movie stars or hedge fund managers no more interesting than lets say the average FS guest, I do.

Movie stars maybe could be generally, but I wouldn't call hedge fund managers "interesting" really. Not to say one couldn't be, but it's a pretty dry profession, I don't think that the average one is anymore interesting than any other particular occupation.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I don`t really remember pictures of Tented Camp at this forum. But another question: I read something about food issues at TC in the past. How was your experience David?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
A tad OT BUT if one is going to visit Burma and Laos, then really visit, don't just step into the country, get a passport stamped and say you were there.

Burma and Laos are two of my favorite countries. I spent a week in Burma and 4 nights in Laos and it wasn't enough.

I am actually going to the FS Elephant Camp next year.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 4:15 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
There might be another dimension than money: People travelling to a remote border zone to stay in a 5* hotel with elephants might be more diverse and vibrant than your average Florida land-owning 65 year old couple from Ohio that you meet in the Four Seasons Naples.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: Skymiles Plat/1MM, United Prem, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
I do agree with that comment. My time at the TC was spent mostly with elephants but the few other guests - a physician from Texas, a couple of serious travelers from France and - oh yes - a hedge fund manager - were all pleasant, somewhat interesting and entertaining. And no one was overwhelmed with his/her own self importance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.