Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Trip Report: Fogo Island Inn, Newfoundland, Canada

Trip Report: Fogo Island Inn, Newfoundland, Canada

Old May 7, 2019, 3:29 pm

This is just a FWIW: I booked us into a Newfoundland Suite because my wife loves a soaking tub. I first contacted the hotel on Jan. 9th to book in the second week of June - so fully 6 months ahead. Our preferred dates were unavailable, and I got the last Newfoundland Suite (which is what we wanted) for our alternate dates. So even though it is remote, and expensive, it certainly books up fast even quite early in 'the season' when we will be there.
Old May 7, 2019, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The hotel lists 3 categories of rooms, not considering a family suite (same price as Fogo Island Suite) and the Flat Earth Suite, for which no prices are given.
  • Labrador Room
  • Newfoundland Room
  • Fogo Island Suite
The words they have used to describe each leave me perplexed as to what more the higher categories offer. Each appear to have stunning views. I assume the suite has more space but it doesn't say. I assume I want a suite - but do I?

Here's what I found from a Virtuoso agency's website:

All 29 suites at the inn have floor-to- ceiling direct views looking out to the ocean. Simply breathtaking. There are three categories of suites:
  • Labrador suites: located on the first and second floors only, these are the smallest suites at the inn. They do not have bathtubs in the bathrooms rooms nor wood-burning stoves.
  • Newfoundland suites: located on floors 3 and 4, these have much larger bathrooms with a separate soaking tub and wood-burning stoves which was an incredible addition.
  • Corner suites and Family suites: these are the most expensive and spacious suites which are located on the 3rd and 4th floors and have different layouts.
Is any a true two room suite with a wall between the bedroom and living room? I saw pictures of the Labrador and Newfoundland "suites" which are anything but. They simply have a seating area in the room.

I found this on the hotel website, very informative as to what is included:
Rates are per night, per room, and based on two persons per room. A two-night minimum applies (except three nights from June to September). We designed our pricing to be inclusive of a complete hospitality experience. To that end, rates are inclusive of all meals, a half-day Island Orientation with a Community Host, and most excursions. Any requests within our power to deliver will be met with a smile and without extra charge: laundry services, bicycles, snacks, extra toiletries, and general support and guidance during your trip are all on offer and included in your room rate. Just pay your own alcohol and taxes.
Suites are significantly more spacious with 2-3x the amount of space and usually have much better views (being at the ends/corners). Not sure about flat earth suite but others do not have a walled off bedroom. We stayed in a corner suite (I think, it was a while ago) and the views and space were amazing. But it isn’t a closed off bedroom. If that is important to you that will be a problem.
Old May 7, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Sounds like a great spot. Thanks for reviewing and it will be added to the “list”!
Old May 8, 2019, 12:14 pm
Community Director Emerita

I've just made my booking. I was fortunate and someone had just canceled a 6 night block for the suite I wanted so I got 3 nights of it. Things I learned:

Newfoundland rooms - 425 sq ft
- third floor - higher ceilings, no soaker tub, walk in shower
- fourth floor - soaker tub

Corner suites - 850 sq ft
- Room 22 - best view

A 50% deposit was taken at the time of booking.

There are five roundtrip ferries a day, leaving for the island at 8:30, 11:30, 3:30, 5:30, and 8:30. You cannot make a booking. It is drive on only. If there is no space to drive on, I was told to park the car and walk on. Hotel staff will meet the ferry and will subsequently retrieve the car.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:20 pm

Programs: AC SE
As an FYI on flight options, EVAS is starting seasonal service between Fogo Island and Halifax, which will provide a direct flight option to an airport with better connectivity to US destinations. EVAS does operate some Air Canada regional flights, but it seems like this service is sold via the Inn and operated by EVAS on a Beechcraft 1900 with 9 pax instead of the usual 18. Link here.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:30 pm

I've just made my booking. I was fortunate and someone had just canceled a 6 night block for the suite I wanted so I got 3 nights of it. Things I learned:

Newfoundland rooms - 425 sq ft
- third floor - higher ceilings, no soaker tub, walk in shower
- fourth floor - soaker tub

Corner suites - 850 sq ft
- Room 22 - best view

A 50% deposit was taken at the time of booking.

There are five roundtrip ferries a day, leaving for the island at 8:30, 11:30, 3:30, 5:30, and 8:30. You cannot make a booking. It is drive on only. If there is no space to drive on, I was told to park the car and walk on. Hotel staff will meet the ferry and will subsequently retrieve the car.
We just returned from 3 fabulous nights there. I will post a full report but just correcting one point: we had a Newfoundland room on the 3rd floor and it had a soaking tub and a shower (and a sweet little potbelly stove).
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:52 pm

I received a postcard yesterday with a beautiful night time picture of the hotel. It said "We are very much looking forward to your arrival. Getting closer....."

Classy! This is a first for me, and really does heighten my anticipation.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
@eamus, that is really helpful. I'm not very familiar with the geography in the northeast of Canada, so really appreciate learning from you. It's a long trip with many flight segments from San Diego, irrespective of the airport. Where have you found to stay in St John?
Curious about your flight itinerary, are you flying into St John and stay one night?
I also really want to visit Fogo Island Inn some time next year, but sounds like it's gonna be a pain to get to from west coast
Old Jul 5, 2019, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by instyleprincess
Curious about your flight itinerary, are you flying into St John and stay one night?
I also really want to visit Fogo Island Inn some time next year, but sounds like it's gonna be a pain to get to from west coast
At the very high risk of being pendantic, St John's. Not St. John. St. John is in New Brunswick, a different province. Don't book a flight to there on the way to Fogo!
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by instyleprincess
We're making it into a one week trip. That wasn't where I started, but after working and working on the logistics to get there and attempting with no success to fold a visit to northern Maine in, it's where I ended up. And I am happy about it.

Day 1 - ar St John's near midnight
Day 2 - St John's and vicinity
Day 3 - Drive north, stay near ferry in Twillingate
Day 4, 5, 6 - Fogo Island Inn (3 day minimum required)
Day 7 - Fishers Loft, Fort Rexton (Recommended by Inn)
Day 8 - St John's
Day 9 - home (5am departure)

Folks have been very helpful on these threads:
Two weeks in Newfoundland and St. Pierre
Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in St Johns, Newfoundland

I like a map as it helps me think thru the logistics of travel. This one has a thing or two on it that I've now cut out, but on the whole represents what I plan:

Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
Originally Posted by ridefar
At the very high risk of being pendantic, St John's. Not St. John. St. John is in New Brunswick, a different province. Don't book a flight to there on the way to Fogo!
LOL! Thanks for letting me know! Def don't want to get stranded somewhere else!!!

Thanks for sharing the itinerary SanDiego1K! Can't wait to hear your trip report
Old Jul 6, 2019, 12:03 pm

I assume you are aware, but don't miss a stop at Gander airport. The mid-century terminal from when all TATLs used to stop here can be visited - just pop into the airport and ask if someone will let you in. It is quite a fantastic time warp (and a nice way to break up the drive).
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:25 pm

Fogo Island Inn (June 2019, 3 nights)

Fogo Island Inn

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Fogo Island Inn

Joe Batt's Arm Newfoundland, CA

Fogo Island Inn (June 2019, 3 nights) (0 Photo)

Fogo Island Inn

Check In

The communication with the Inn pre-arrival was very easy.  They promptly and succinctly replied to my email questions.  None of that nonsense where you ask a direct question and get an equivocal answer: here it was all premised on an attitude of "whatever you need, it won't be a problem" and taken from there.  Arrival itself was easy and simple, with our car valeted and bags taken.  The reception desk is exactly where it should be: immediately obvious when you walk in.  (I loathe it when they hide reception or it is impossible to tell what is the bell stand or concierge and what is reception).  You pre-pay for the stay so a card is just for incidentals.  You are handed a key whose fob is unique, but we always just left our door unlocked.  Let's just say that security is not really a concern on Fogo Island.

Room

LOVED our room.  King bed, small potbelly stove they will light, tub and walk-in shower, and two comfy chairs for staring out at the sea.  Every room is oceanfront, and the windows open to let in the wonderful breeze.  There is an extremely nifty venlitaltion system (really, everyone should geek out on the engineering of this place!) but no A/C.  In June that was not an issue, not even approaching being an issue, not even in the same zip code as an issue.

There were Frette linens, the bed is supremely comfortable (custom beds and mattresses) and lots of locally made items from quilts and cushions to all of the furniture, all of which is for sale through the Inn.  The Newfoundland Suite size was adequate for the two of us.  Not the largest place I have stayed in by any means, but very homely and comfortable.  I sat, happily, staring out at the sea and sipping my tea.  There are stairs and an elevator for access, the room was serviced twice daily and was unobtrusive.  The cleaning crew left it spotless and shining like a new pin.

Service

Nothing is a problem.

Would that everhwere felt like that.  They will gladly do a load of laundry for free, and the bag is amply sized and I think was $20 for each subsequent load.  They promised something like 10 hour turnaround but ours was done and returned in more like 4.  All of the activities are posted and you can join them as you wish, and the staff are very helpful in listening and making suggestions. I expressed interest in learning about the fishing and crab industries and we spent a few hours with a wonderful local who had been a captain for 47 years and was on the Co-Op Board.  He took us on a factory tour, showed us how the cod pots work, and explained anything I wanted to know about the fishing industry.  Seasonally they have a geologist in residence and we went on a fascinating hike with him, learning about the geology not just of Fogo Island but of the world.  The Inn has a fleet of cars available and they wil gladly let you borrow one of theirs if you require.  On departurne for the 10am ferry, they take your car down the night before and leave it parked in the line so you don't miss the boat.  It is just a wonderful, professionally-managed and run outfit that manages to avoid being sterile in every way.  I absolutely adored how welcome we were made to feel.

Dining

Ah, the food.

Breakfast and lunch menus are pretty much unchanging although there is a cold buffet that does change in terms of salads, meats, pickled items etc.  They have a bread program with wonderful breads made in their kitchen.  They have traditional foods that you really need to try: toutons (TOW-tns, first syllable rhymes with cow), cod with a hardtack-type thing reconstituted with fish stock as well as a more-than-respectable set of options for breakfast and lunch.  The dinner menu changes nightly and was just wonderful.  Interesting choices including cod, lobster, rabbit, lamb, haddock and chicken (no beef at dinner, but they did an excellent beef sandwich at lunch), and in nice-ly proportioned meals such that you could try every course and still have dessert.  The pastry chef deserves a round of applause as well.  As I re-read this I realize it seems sort of sappy, but really I have not eaten this well at an inn since Blackberry Farm or Amansara.  It really is that good.

If someone offered you the chance to go to the end of the earth, wouldn't you?  Its remoteness is integral to its charm, and the locals are just lovely people.  The accent out there is much more like that in Cornwall or the West Country than anything else.

Overall

I am sad that our budget only stretched to 3 nights.  I wish we had gone for 5.  It is brutally, catastrophically expensive, but really once you are there, it all makes sense.  I'd go back in a heartbeat since it is not a bucket list item (a term I despise) to be checked off.  It is a special place run by lovely people, and I can't think of a better descriptor of the kinds of places we like to visit.

Fogo Island Inn (June 2019, 3 nights)

Would you like to write a review on the Fogo Island Inn?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jul 27, 2019, 9:12 am

eamus you painted a wonderful word picture of your stay. I'm looking forward with even greater anticipation to our upcoming visit.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:47 am
Original Poster

eamus... curious if you met the chef at all? Wondering if it is the same chef since opening (big guy, lots of tattoos...), Food was amazing when we were there, and I am very happy to hear the standard has been maintained.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.