Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMANFAYUN, China

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:49 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
AMANFAYUN, China

Amanfayun

Map| 3 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Amanfayun

22 Fayun Lane Hangzhou, CN 310013

AMANFAYUN, China (0 Photo)

Amanfayun

We spent two nights at Amanfayun, a very unique Aman resort just outside the city of Hangzhou. It was developed from an old, deserted Chinese village. Existing buildings, some over a century old, were completely renovated to create the 47 guest dwellings, four restaurants, boutique, spa, and other resort facilities. There is a very authentic feeling to Amanfayun which is adjacent to a large Buddhist temple. A rough, stone pathway leads through the forested property.

Room

Guest suites are large but simple, having been reconstructed using traditional methods and materials: clay roofs, brick and earthen walls, stone tile floors. Amanfayun does not try to offer "polished luxury" with marble bathrooms and modern building materials. It does offer large and comfortable space and a degree of authenticity you will never encounter elsewhere.

Overall

Aman junkies will not want to miss Amanfayun, but guests who desire world-class luxury will prefer Four Seasons Hangzhou.

AMANFAYUN, China

Would you like to write a review on the Amanfayun?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Amanfayun (& beijing) may have peaked in 2012
Musken did have amazing butler (left) in 2014

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 19, 2017 at 9:32 am
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

FlyingDoctorwu, giri assistant GM you met now GM at >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...xperience.html

Yes, a GM can sometimes make a difference in ones experience. I whole heartily believe that. Hacienda Altagracia was our latest experience of it... we recently also had our experience elevated at the St Regis in Puerto Rico due to the GM too.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu

And I've heard they've replaced the Keurig with Nespresso so things are definitely looking up...

FDW
This I can confirm.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
It wasn't a disastrous stay by any means, but I'd have it with Amanfayun as my worst Aman thus far, again, another property in a stunning locale.
Not to get too OT, but why was Amanfayun such a disaster? Currently have a trip booked to amanfayun / Pen Shanghai next April, largely because of how interesting Amanfayun looks online.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if no butler, language problems, may have only been one FTer who did not get butler so far

"worst Aman" may be different vs typical luxury hotels >

my first Aman. Overall, I was excited going into it and came out fairly impressed.

stunning location...incredibly peaceful, even with the public access.

'sense of place' and it's an interesting authentic experience rather than staying at your run-of-the-mill luxury hotel. I love the interiors

Most of the structures are old, save for "The Restaurant"

The Fayun Pathway: I may be in the minority, but I like it. It shows that the resort does not exist in some bubble, without compromising on luxury. Watching the monks walking through a few times a day is a nice sight.

Service: From the moment we arrived at the resort to the moment we left, service was mostly nothing short of exceptional

Fayun Place and Spa: So, so peaceful...!
above older, recent (most recent here?) fayun report >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...l#post27717974

at opening dayan got a bunch of good reports from amanjunkies

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 14, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:16 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
I went in 2013 (or was it 2014?) - who was @Musken's butler? We had Danielle and she was excellent.

Last edited by chinmoylad; Sep 14, 2017 at 8:27 pm
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:22 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by uclabruin82
Not to get too OT, but why was Amanfayun such a disaster? Currently have a trip booked to amanfayun / Pen Shanghai next April, largely because of how interesting Amanfayun looks online.
It wasn't a disaster by any means. I said it would rank as one of my worst Amans, which is no bad thing - it's up against Aman Bali, Amanpulo, Aman-i-Khas etc. It's all relative, as Kagehitokiri said.

It's a stunning resort and locale, and I'd much rather be here than by a resort at the West Lake (which is a much more 'standard' luxury hotel experience). Lukasz and Monika Prendke were the GM/Resort Manager respectively while we were there and they were fantastic, and we were serviced by Danielle who was also amazing.

There are a couple of issues when we were there, mostly owing to language I assume, but also that China, generally speaking, is no Thailand when it comes to hospitality (nevermind Bali/Philippines/India etc). So it's not going to be the perfect Aman in that regard, but it's such a unique location.

On the point of location however, you will have some peeping toms - people who have come to visit the temples, walking through the resort. So while it is generally a very peaceful place, there are a few hours when it does get a bit more crowded than you would like, and it's not ideal to sit in your wonderful courtyard while people pass by staring at you. But that's part and parcel of how the resort is based on its location/structure I suppose.

Food also varies based on where you eat - since only two (?) of the restaurants are run by Aman while the others are outsourced.

Finally, and this is a general problem with many of the Amans - the lighting is just far too dark. I don't want it to be lit up like Las Vegas at all, but a bit more light would be very much welcome especially in locations such as these where the sunlight does not always filter through to the rooms.

Again though, absolutely worth it for the location/experience alone.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Musken had head butler, who has left
fayun opened 2010, beijing opened 2008
where did time go.. many poached since then
great english in 2012 (staff from other amans?)
food may also have peaked in 2010 >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...estaurant.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ry-hotels.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 14, 2017 at 8:59 pm
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:00 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I went in 2013 (or was it 2014?) - who was @Musken's butler? We had Danielle and she was excellent.
We went in October 2014. It is correct that we had a very good butler. She was head butler at that point of time, but unfortunately I cannot remember her name.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:40 am

I wonder if the sale of Amanfayun and Amandayan to the Chinese has had any impact on the management of these resorts.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
I wonder if the sale of Amanfayun and Amandayan to the Chinese has had any impact on the management of these resorts.
To AhnLuh ?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Most likely.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by bearbrick
To AhnLuh ?
Not sure, but I heard they had been sold to the Chinese Evergrande Group, who apear to have pretty wide-ranging investments.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

fayun always local government? like beijing - always BTG.

ahn luh is BTG, GHM, other JV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.