Luxury Hotel In Atlanta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury Hotel In Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards Platinum, Chase Ultimate Rewards, Starwood, Delta, United
Luxury Hotel In Atlanta

Any deals on a 5 star in Atlanta ?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 6:48 am
In memoriam

Offers at the Four Seasons (midtown):

http://www.fourseasons.com/propertie...ta/offers.html

FWIW - the property was pretty tired when we stayed there about 3 years ago or so (our room had plumbing issues - long story that I think I wrote up elsewhere). There were some apparently minor renovations about 2 years ago (http://www.whatnowatlanta.com/2012/0...0k-renovation/) - so I'd check and see what the property is like today.

One consideration WRT Atlanta is what you'll be doing there - and where. The drive from a place like Buckhead to downtown can be pretty miserable. If - for example - everything you're doing is in/near downtown - the RC downtown might be a decent option. Robyn
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by robyng
Offers at the Four Seasons (midtown):

http://www.fourseasons.com/propertie...ta/offers.html

FWIW - the property was pretty tired when we stayed there about 3 years ago or so (our room had plumbing issues - long story that I think I wrote up elsewhere). There were some apparently minor renovations about 2 years ago (http://www.whatnowatlanta.com/2012/0...0k-renovation/) - so I'd check and see what the property is like today.

One consideration WRT Atlanta is what you'll be doing there - and where. The drive from a place like Buckhead to downtown can be pretty miserable. If - for example - everything you're doing is in/near downtown - the RC downtown might be a decent option. Robyn
Agree w/ robyng Re: the importance of location and knowing what you're doing/where you're going.

I have friends who live in Buckhead and have been to ATL enough times where I'm not really going to 'tour', so it's Buckhead for me every time.

I like the StR and have heard good things about the MO.

Wasn't crazy about the 4S last time I visited, to be honest.

Do you have status with SPG?

Also, what kind of 'deal' are you looking for? Just a lower price? Or the addition of benefits?

ps, if you've never been to ATL and/or won't have a car, I suggest midtown, not Buckhead. ATL transport isn't fun.

EDIT: what dates are you looking at? ATL tends to have more deals during the hotter months of the year, and every so often you'll find a very good Xmas deal. Rates are highest in spring/fall.

Last edited by pricesquire; Sep 8, 2014 at 9:56 am
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:51 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

There are frequently deals available through FHR (3rd or 4th night free) in addition to the FHR benefits. Alternatively, FSPP/virtuoso bookings will have some inclusions... Atlanta is a bear of a city so I also agree that location is important. I tend to avoid all the RCs in the city (older proeprties; circa 1980s construction). The FS is ok for a midtown location. In Buckhead I like the MO (well I liked the Rosewood so I assume I will like it as a MO). The St Regis is further down away from the mall (which can be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective) but is also a reasonable option...

FDW
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards Platinum, Chase Ultimate Rewards, Starwood, Delta, United
Thanks all for the detailed responses. I tend to head to atlanta for biz every other month. I usually stay at the W at buckhead due to me having status with SPG but was just looking for other suggestions. By the time I pay taxes etc it usually comes to $300 a night....and was just wanting to price out other options from savvy travelers. I like to stay in buckhead as there is some nightlife as I travel alone however am certainly open to suggestions as not fixed to that location.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Anthony Dadlani
Thanks all for the detailed responses. I tend to head to atlanta for biz every other month. I usually stay at the W at buckhead due to me having status with SPG but was just looking for other suggestions. By the time I pay taxes etc it usually comes to $300 a night....and was just wanting to price out other options from savvy travelers. I like to stay in buckhead as there is some nightlife as I travel alone however am certainly open to suggestions as not fixed to that location.
I'm not a huge fan of the W in ATL (I know there are 3...just think its a weak city for Ws, despite the quantity. Midtown W is the best of the bunch.)

What kind of biz are you in? An ABA SET goes a long way in ATL w/ SPG.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pricesquire
I'm not a huge fan of the W in ATL (I know there are 3...just think its a weak city for Ws, despite the quantity. Midtown W is the best of the bunch.)

What kind of biz are you in? An ABA SET goes a long way in ATL w/ SPG.
I am in the real estate biz. Pardon my ignorance but whats ABA SET ?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:15 am
Suspended

I am in the real estate biz. Pardon my ignorance but whats ABA SET ?
ABA: American Bar Association (a lot of attorneys have work in ATL, at least from my neck of the woods)

SET: basically a corporate code.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO the Buckhead MARTA station side of Lenox Mall in "downtown" Buckhead is an area with interesting upscale restaurants, etc. However, it seems like a long ride from Atlanta's real downtown and midtown, which in some ways is more interesting. Downtown doesn't have much beyond big convention hotels and some tourist attractions and seems to have the usual major urban USA issues of homeless people, etc.

I like the StR and it can be very reasonably priced for a StR, but IMO you what a car here. It's not walkable from the "downtown" Buckhead area or MARTA, although there are several restaurants and bars next door, plus a strip mall across the street with groceries and wine. I've noticed signs for a black history museum somewhere beyond the hotel but I've never been there.

BTW, if the hotel car service or a taxi is taking you to MARTA from the StR, don't go toward the
Buckhead station. Save yourself time and a connection by asking to be dropped at the next station and transfer point in the direction of downtown Atlanta and the airport. The hotel seems to be about halfway between the stations or at least the trip takes about the same time.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:48 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Thanks all for the detailed responses. I tend to head to atlanta for biz every other month. I usually stay at the W at buckhead due to me having status with SPG but was just looking for other suggestions.
You can confirm the W Hotel under Luxury Privileges which will toss you breakfast and one time $100 F&B credit. You stack your SPG status on top for upgrades. The only other idea that might be less than W is the InterCon Buckhead, but we are moving away from luxury properties here. Solid 4 stars.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG
You can confirm the W Hotel under Luxury Privileges which will toss you breakfast and one time $100 F&B credit. You stack your SPG status on top for upgrades. The only other idea that might be less than W is the InterCon Buckhead, but we are moving away from luxury properties here. Solid 4 stars.
Thanks ABG. How do I confirm or get that perk ?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:14 pm
In memoriam

I've gotten the impression that midtown is a younger area in terms of restaurants/nightlife than Buckhead. Although it's hard to tell at my age (almost everyone is younger than I am <LOL>). In any event - I know midtown isn't dead - and you might try it for a change of pace.

FWIW - we drive to Atlanta - but use cabs to get around at night (don't want to drink and drive). The prices are pretty reasonable. Robyn
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:16 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Thanks ABG. How do I confirm or get that perk ?
Seek out a travel professional who is a member of the program.... google is your friend here or as many FT'ers know, DavidO, is part of the program. Oh and me too!
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:55 am
Suspended

Mandarin Oriental Atlanta

Visiting this coming Saturday for a one night stay. Was planning on staying at the St. Regis, but they were sold out.

Any recent reviews on this property?

Thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Some reports and discussion here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...st-option.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.