Boston Luxury

Old Sep 9, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Thanks. I will definitely try.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Details, please! What did you find less than appealing about the MO compared to the FS, and what stands out for you as being superior at the FS?

Also, let's not forget that as a 20 year customer at the FS, you may be slightly comparing oranges to apples since the FS staff knows your preferences and likely upgrades you as such a consistent customer?
I've not stayed at the FS in Boston but I was very underwhelmed by the MO on a week long stay last year.

The location is great, I will give it that, but everything else just wasn't as effortless as it should have been.

I was given a disabled person's room (which I did not ask for, and when I asked for a change, was told they were sold out). It meant I didn't have a shower door, just a curtain, and the seat in the shower was fixed - as I had no desire to shower sitting on a bench, I had maintenance come and remove it. The wardrobe, presumably to accommodate those unable to stand, had a half height rail, which meant I had nowhere I could hang a dress properly, unless I hooked it over a picture frame.

I expect phone calls to be handled promptly, even if I am then asked to hold, or they offer to call me back - I called room service, front desk, spa etc. several times, and several times I was left listening to a ringing phone - more importantly, people who were calling me from outside of the hotel were not being answered and connected to me in my room.

I had some packages delivered, and they called to let me know they had arrived and would 'be right up'. I had just run a bath, so I delayed getting in knowing someone would be up shortly - over half an hour later I called back down, and they seemed unconcerned and a 'oh I will see if someone can bring them up'.

Doormen were unable to get taxis on a couple of occasions and suggested I walk a couple of blocks up to try and flag one down myself (I get that it was busy, but I would expect a hotel of this caliber to have the contacts with cab firms to get them for their guests)

The events staff seemed to be fine if there was only one thing going on, but as soon as more than one event was happening, they seemed flustered, and the management disappeared (leaving me to direct the actions of their entry level staff to get what needed to be done, done).

The regular concierge was very helpful, but more often than not he was not there, and a member of front desk staff was filling in, and couldn't offer up basic suggestions when asked.

It was my first experience of the MO brand, and it doesn't make me keen to opt for them in the future.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:01 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by emma69
I've not stayed at the FS in Boston but I was very underwhelmed by the MO on a week long stay last year.

The location is great, I will give it that, but everything else just wasn't as effortless as it should have been.

I was given a disabled person's room (which I did not ask for, and when I asked for a change, was told they were sold out). It meant I didn't have a shower door, just a curtain, and the seat in the shower was fixed - as I had no desire to shower sitting on a bench, I had maintenance come and remove it. The wardrobe, presumably to accommodate those unable to stand, had a half height rail, which meant I had nowhere I could hang a dress properly, unless I hooked it over a picture frame.

I expect phone calls to be handled promptly, even if I am then asked to hold, or they offer to call me back - I called room service, front desk, spa etc. several times, and several times I was left listening to a ringing phone - more importantly, people who were calling me from outside of the hotel were not being answered and connected to me in my room.

I had some packages delivered, and they called to let me know they had arrived and would 'be right up'. I had just run a bath, so I delayed getting in knowing someone would be up shortly - over half an hour later I called back down, and they seemed unconcerned and a 'oh I will see if someone can bring them up'.

Doormen were unable to get taxis on a couple of occasions and suggested I walk a couple of blocks up to try and flag one down myself (I get that it was busy, but I would expect a hotel of this caliber to have the contacts with cab firms to get them for their guests)

The events staff seemed to be fine if there was only one thing going on, but as soon as more than one event was happening, they seemed flustered, and the management disappeared (leaving me to direct the actions of their entry level staff to get what needed to be done, done).

The regular concierge was very helpful, but more often than not he was not there, and a member of front desk staff was filling in, and couldn't offer up basic suggestions when asked.

It was my first experience of the MO brand, and it doesn't make me keen to opt for them in the future.
Ican understand your frustrations based on what you've shared, but the fact that you recommend the FS without having stayed there at the Boston property is problematic for me--reminiscent IMO of someone who blindly believes a brand (FS) is more important than the specific example (Boston FS).

I also think that the hotel being full has more to do with your experience at the MO than the actual identity of the property. I've stayed at many luxury hotels, and service is always worse when they are full compared to when they are not. You may decide to avoid the MO for that reason, of course, but that doesn't mean that the experience at the full FS Boston will be any different.

I also know that Boston, like San Francisco, is a tougher town in which to get a taxi, especially when compared to New York or Chicago. I've been to the FS in Boston for drinks before many times, and they've often had trouble getting us a taxi, too, to illustrate the point.

Sometimes, we need to distinguish the circumstantial factors that may have led to the poor service experiences we encounter and not assume that the hotel or brand is any different under those circumstances with another in the same vicinity. In this case, your room complaint is more about being a fully occupied hotel than it being the MO, and the taxi and phone service being more about the same and/or Boston IMO.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:50 am

In this case, your room complaint is more about being a fully occupied hotel than it being the MO, and the taxi and phone service being more about the same and/or Boston IMO.
Disagree here re telephone issues. Even a fully occupied hotel should have adequate staffing and telephone systems to ensure that calls are answered promptly. There is no excuse for dropped calls or inability to contact operator or departments within the hotel.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:59 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Disagree here re telephone issues. Even a fully occupied hotel should have adequate staffing and telephone systems to ensure that calls are answered promptly. There is no excuse for dropped calls or inability to contact operator or departments within the hotel.
I agree that not answering the telephone reflects bad service! That being said, I've been at Peninsula properties in Beverly Hill and New York where that has happened, as well as at the RC Boston and FS Beverly Hills--almost always when they were full due to some sort of convention or major conference in town.

I am only saying that if the hotel is full, service almost always suffers to some degree at most (but necessarily all) luxury hotels (as with almost all hotels).

This poster in question indicated that the FS was better than the MO in Boston, and I had asked for the reasons. It turns out the reasons against the MO were salient--if circumstantial IMO--and the reasons for the FS were nonexistent--as the poster had never even stayed there and was relying on the FS "brand" status alone.

IMO, this mini-thread has more to do with the people assuming that one brand (FS in this case) is better everywhere because of good experiences at some (which is extremely misrepresentative to me) and that another brand (MO in this case) is bad because of a poor example at a single property--and that is what I am calling out.

I also am calling out that circumstances such as being full can have a deleterious impact on any stay...and that taxi service is bad in Boston in general when compared with most other major cities. :-)
Old Sep 12, 2014, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

moved

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 12, 2014 at 4:31 pm
Old Sep 12, 2014, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by bhrubin; Nov 26, 2016 at 5:37 pm
Old Sep 12, 2014, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

fact that you recommend the FS without having stayed there
poster in question indicated that the FS was better than the MO in Boston, and I had asked for the reasons. It turns out the reasons

reasons for the FS were nonexistent--as the poster had never even stayed there and was relying on the FS "brand" status alone
you asked speedbird001 - they did not reply, emma69 did not say anything about FS

"poster in question indicated that the FS was better than the MO in Boston" = speedbird001 not emma69

and speedbird001 has been staying at FS for "over 20 years" and "tried the MO"

the posts in question >
Originally Posted by speedbird001
I have been staying at the FS for over 20 years and this past June tried the MO. While it was acceptable, it was not in the same class as the FS.
Details, please! What did you find less than appealing about the MO compared to the FS, and what stands out for you as being superior at the FS?

Also, let's not forget that as a 20 year customer at the FS, you may be slightly comparing oranges to apples since the FS staff knows your preferences and likely upgrades you as such a consistent customer?
i would agree that the questions you asked were good questions

Originally Posted by emma69
emma69 did not "recommend the FS" nor say anything about FS

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 12, 2014 at 9:39 pm
Old Sep 12, 2014, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Deleted

Last edited by bhrubin; Nov 26, 2016 at 5:37 pm
Old Dec 10, 2016, 12:05 pm

Any current thoughts on Boston? I liked the FS, even though it's very traditional. Anyone been to the Liberty?
Old Dec 10, 2016, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by aa4ever
Any current thoughts on Boston? I liked the FS, even though it's very traditional. Anyone been to the Liberty?
I've stayed a few times at The Liberty and really enjoyed it. I've always been alone and there for work, so I didn't bother with major upgrades--and the hotel has usually been sold out when I've been there. I love the masculine modern "club" feeling of the rooms I've had--pretty spacious but not huge for 2 persons at the entry level. Recently renovated, so the design and decor of the rooms and hotel public spaces is VERY modern and fresh. Club as in man's club, not a drinking club!

Service and food/beverage are fantastic, too. I often eat at Clink even when I am not staying at The Liberty. And room service is fabulous. (I always tend to order room service breakfast rather than eat free breakfast in the restaurant, even as SPG Plat.)

Energy here is high, especially on weekends when the actual club on the first floor and lobby level are going strong. It's a scene here--definitely a hot see and be seen crowd! (I love it.)

I'll be staying in spring at the RC and the W for the first times, trying to get a better sense of which will appeal more to me.

I'd stayed several times at the FS up until about 3 years ago and was woefully disappointed. I didn't think the room decor was up to snuff, food/beverage was unremarkable, and I was very disappointed by the service overall. When I complained a few times, not a single person seemed to care--even among several different people from different stays. So I vowed to never stay there again. The location was nice...but not something that made me want to stay.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 9:25 pm

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus
I stayed at XV Beacon and it is a really nice boutique hotel if that is your thing. I also remember them having great burgers downstairs.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Gold Elite
We had a terrible stay at the RC in September. Service levels were atrocious, no recognition of Marriott status/Virtuoso/Ritz Stars booking, slow internet, construction noise, bar closed for private function with no prior notice, and a daily charge to use Equinox (which at the time wasn't mentioned on their website).

Sent an email to the manager while we were there and ended up meeting with him. Offered no compensation, other than a "sorry".
Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:17 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by CarNut
We had a terrible stay at the RC in September. Service levels were atrocious, no recognition of Marriott status/Virtuoso/Ritz Stars booking, slow internet, construction noise, bar closed for private function with no prior notice, and a daily charge to use Equinox (which at the time wasn't mentioned on their website).

Sent an email to the manager while we were there and ended up meeting with him. Offered no compensation, other than a "sorry".
I have had a couple of decent stays there in the last few months. No, they don't seem to recognize status (maybe if your status is RC native rather than SPG/RC/Marriott?). On the other hand, I would service good, and they certainly made an effort. Food was fine for a hotel, but didn't wow me, and the room service menu is limited. And a tip for people that stay there: just use valet parking. The nearest parking is atrociously expensive (typical Boston) and has no in and out privileges. But there are lots of good choices in Boston, and I am not sure it really stood out--it just didn't have the deficiencies you describe when I was there.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 9:14 pm

Echoing the sentiment that the MO is fine but the FS is MUCH better

Have stayed at the FS and the MO multiple times in the past year. The MO does not compare to the FS. The service at the FS is far superior. The rooms are preferable and the view of the park is lovely. We like the indoor pool and gym at the FS. The MO you feel like you are staying in an office building, which is basically what many of the rooms look out upon. I do like the spa at the MO and I guess its nice to be near that mall...The FS has become our go to in Boston. Also the room layout at the MO is odd, we have always ended up in strangely shaped rooms at the MO, I can not remember the specific category- but several levels up from the entry level rooms, its terrible feng shui. All odd angles and square footage in the entry way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.