Wiki Posts
Search

Havana hotels

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, US Air Silver Preferred, BA ExecSilver
Havana hotels

Have any of you been to Havana, Cuba, and could anyone recommend a "luxury" (if such a thing exists) hotel there?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: US Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premium
You aren't clear on your criteria for luxury (service availability and training, decor, technology standards, etc) so I don't know what you are looking for, but I definitely think that there are some very nice hotels in Havana. Granted, I was there on a US gov't approved visit and only was able to stay in our approved housing and a B&B but I had drinks at some of the nice hotels in town and thought they were great. I would love to go back and would probably split my time in one of the nice hotels (ie Hotel Nacional which has a great lawn overlooking the Malecon and bay) and a B&B. The latter was great since you had a chance to speak to locals- the owners of the B&B, the neighborhood folks, etc- about life which was so intriguing and special.

So, for luxury hotels consider checking out Tripadvisor reviews to pick a spot. Staying in old Havana is nice because of the location but Hotel Nacional isn't too far from things. Depending on your luxury standards also consider a home stay/B&B. It's great!

Enjoy your trip. Cuba is stunning, intriguing, and beautiful. You're lucky to be able to travel there!
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:19 pm

The balcony suites at Hotel Florida are quite nice. It's a beautiful historic building in old Havana. I've visited a few other small boutique hotels that I would look into and consider as well, including Hotel Santa Isabel and Los Frailes. Hotel Nacional is less charming and boutique but still very nice and steeped in history. Hotel Palacio O'Farrill looks good as well. Personally, I'd chose Hotel Florida anytime. The location can't be beat only a few blocks from Havana Harbor. The interior courtyard is gorgeous. It's a beautiful timewarp of Old Havana.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, US Air Silver Preferred, BA ExecSilver
Havana

We have been to Cuba but that was quite a long time ago. I'm sure things have changed and there are more hotels available. We stayed at the Nasional which was adequate but quite a distance from old Havana. We would like to stay in old Havana this time. Have heard a lot about the Saratoga?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: QR Platinum (Oneworld Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (Skyteam Gold), Shangri-La GC (Jade)
i stayed at the NH a few years ago. It was really substandard. The lobby area was alright, but the rooms looked like motel rooms. The first night we had water pouring down from the ceiling.

Cuba is a fantastic and beautiful country. I'd suggest that you avoid all those tourist ghettos and get to stay in more authentic places. Asfar as eating out is concerned, family-run restaurants are great alternatives to hotel restaurants and are far friendlier than all those government-run places.

We also took a day tour to Cayo Largo. The flight was 20 minutes long on a decrepit Fokker-100 and we had 3 hours of delay both on the way in and out…so it was a very loooong day, but it was awesome. Everything is awesome in Cubam except….the COMMUNISTS!

Have fun.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Something tells me that Cuba is going to see a few new hotels.....
Old Dec 17, 2014, 3:38 pm

The Saratoga is the newest and considered the best. Nice rooftop pool and views.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by damaxer91
We need to get there soon before the whole character of the island is changed!!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:28 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by damaxer91
They won't be sponsored by the investors (non-US) that funded the last round of development in the 1990s. In many (all?) cases, the government refused to let the owners repatriate their profits. This isn't the way to encourage foreign investment.

Importantly, the U.S. trade embargo isn't over. While certain restrictions will be reduced, the President needs the approval of Congress before repealing the most substantive limitations. That approval does not appear to be forthcoming.

I am hopeful for an opportunity to visit soon.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:37 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Old thread, but gives me some ideas. Have seen that there now is the Kempinsky as well, but wanted to stay in a more boutiqueish, smaller hotel with a good location and local flair. Swimming pool is a plus. Need quiet, clean, spacious room and as luxury as possible. So what is the best?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
We need to get there soon before the whole character of the island is changed!!
We eventually went in June last year and as we booked our flights last minute had very little choice of hotel. Nothing was available to book online so we resorted to using a travel agent who specializes in Cuba. We had wanted the Saratoga where Pausanias stayed but it was fully booked so we ended up in the Iberostar Parque Central - a bit like a 1980's Hilton or Holiday inn but it was central.

Look for the best Paladors on TA - we had some great food in interesting surroundings. You need to book the popular ones.

Your son (and you) will love the tours in the old American cars - we also used them as taxis - similar price to taxis who quote you exorbitant prices as a tourist! We hired drivers and stayed in Trinidad for a few nights - definitely recommend it there - music everywhere. Lovely little town and good private restaurants. We stayed in a Casa Particular again booked by the travel agent.

Some discussion in this thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...n-up-cuba.html
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:14 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I think the Saratoga looks very nice. However, it i written that all the suites are for smokers. While mye husband does smoke sigars sometimes, that is always outside, so I am wondering to which extent these suites are really stinky. Anyone been in them?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:22 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by quitecontrary
We eventually went in June last year and as we booked our flights last minute had very little choice of hotel. Nothing was available to book online so we resorted to using a travel agent who specializes in Cuba. We had wanted the Saratoga where Pausanias stayed but it was fully booked so we ended up in the Iberostar Parque Central - a bit like a 1980's Hilton or Holiday inn but it was central.

Look for the best Paladors on TA - we had some great food in interesting surroundings. You need to book the popular ones.

Your son (and you) will love the tours in the old American cars - we also used them as taxis - similar price to taxis who quote you exorbitant prices as a tourist! We hired drivers and stayed in Trinidad for a few nights - definitely recommend it there - music everywhere. Lovely little town and good private restaurants. We stayed in a Casa Particular again booked by the travel agent.

Some discussion in this thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...n-up-cuba.html

Thanks for the tips, will check it out. And yes, we will love the American cars!!! This trips is possibly for end of February next year so I have just started researching. Sounds exciting with the Paladares. Also Trinidad sounds like a good add on to Havana. We have a week in total, so cannot go too many places, but two would do.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Musken
Old thread, but gives me some ideas. Have seen that there now is the Kempinsky as well, but wanted to stay in a more boutiqueish, smaller hotel with a good location and local flair. Swimming pool is a plus. Need quiet, clean, spacious room and as luxury as possible. So what is the best?
Pity about the timing, as Adrian Zecha is going to open an Azerai in Havana, but not until next year. That would fit all your criteria!
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:11 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Pity about the timing, as Adrian Zecha is going to open an Azerai in Havana, but not until next year. That would fit all your criteria!
Oh, that would be excellent. When next year? Maybe we would wait...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.