View to river from inside room

Seating in room

From inside room looking out

Bed cubby.

Desk built into wall with closets on either side

Toilet and shower room. It's small.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:17 pm
Community Director Emerita

My pictures posted of Juvet above but not my description. Here we go again.

Juvet Landscape
We learned about Juvet thanks to posters in this thread. What an amazing hotel. It's one of the few places in the world we've stayed where you are in nature and not in a hotel room looking at nature. Is it luxurious? No. Take a look at the bed cubby or the bathroom pictures above. Is it worth a trip just to stay here? Almost. It was certainly the hotel high point of our trip and perhaps even the high point of the trip overall. This property has just 7 rooms, all individual, along the bank of the river. It also has two birdhouses, tiny rooms, built up the hill. We met a young German couple staying in one who are thinking about living in a tiny house. They put their toes in the water with this stay. Most of the people staying had organized their travel dates specifically to be able to get a booking here. The property is already booked solid for August and September 2019. It's half booked for the earlier spring and summer months. And of course it is booked out this summer and fall. The property has been requested for use for numerous commercials.

Once you are on property it is obscure as to where to check in. We guessed accurately by entering a long structure that housed the kitchen and dining room. Once checked in, you park beyond this building and walk at roughly the same level to any of the seven guest houses. The spa is to the side of the guest houses, also with a magnificent view of the river. Everyone seems to naturally congregate here in late afternoon. There is an outdoor hot tub, a sauna inside, a small kitchen, living area, bedroom, showers, and toilets. I don't know if it is ever rented out on its own but it would be a fantastic house. EX MACHINA used this building as the billionaire's home.

The 4 course evening meal is at 8pm. Folks are seated at a family table. The chef is on Instagram as @chrisjuvet101. He is quite sophisticated in his presentations. Breakfast is served at 9am. There is a balcony at the end of the dining room, overlooking the scenery below, with furs on the chairs to keep you warm. Architects are Jensen @ Skodvin who also designed the stunning Gudbrandjuvet Cafe in town. For those of you planning travel, the hotel is roughly midpoint between Geiranger and Trollstigen, a wonderfully scenic area.

View from inside spa

Another view from inside spa
obscure2k, Musken and bhrubin like this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:28 pm

SilverSpoon did an extensive and superb job in reporting her stay at Storfjord Hotel this winter. I'll only add a few comments.

Storfjord Hotel, roughly a half hour outside Alesund

The hotel has rooms in several buildings. I had written ahead and asked to be in the main building since it had an elevator and the others do not. We were given a fjord facing junior suite on the ground floor in the main building. We were given the Lind suite on the ground floor. We liked this location very much as it made it very easy to interact with staff. We were blessed with superb weather while in Norway but had it been raining or snowing, that would save outdoor walking to come and go from the restaurant. This is the only hotel of our trip where we had the service one would expect of a luxury hotel. We were here two nights. Both nights we asked if we could have dessert in our room. They very agreeably brought it at the time that we had set. On our second morning, we needed to leave before the dining room opened for breakfast. They prepared breakfast boxes for us. We were very happy with our stay.

View from our room
obscure2k and bhrubin like this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:33 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

We are enroute to Norway now, via London and Edinburgh, but on a Windstar cruise out of Leith, Scotland. I am fairly drooling over your post above. Thank you!
obscure2k, bhrubin and SanDiego1K like this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:16 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Thank you so much. I am glad you enjoyed my country and I laughed a lot about your first post basically saying no service, but great internet. That`s Norway in a nutshell.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:04 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Thanks @SanDiego1K for the great reviews, this is very useful
Old Jul 13, 2020, 3:54 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Finally I have booked a trip to spend summer in Norway myself. Thinking a lot about the possible dagers and hassel about going abroad in the middle of a pandemic, we are now looking forward to experiencing both Juvet (a new, 70 sq meters, two bedroom chalet was available), Storfjord hotel (jr. suite with fjord view) plus Brosundet in Ålesund and Håholmen Havstuer just north of the Atlantic road. We will go on Wild Life Sea safari, a fishing trip, some easy hiking, rafting (for my boys ;-) ) plus driving the Atlantic road and Trollstigen. Might also take a detour to see Geiranger and hotel Union Øie (but been there before so just maybe). Looking very much forward and will report back. We will fly in and out of Ålesund.
LinLant, KatW, SanDiego1K and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Musken
Finally I have booked a trip to spend summer in Norway myself. Thinking a lot about the possible dagers and hassel about going abroad in the middle of a pandemic, we are now looking forward to experiencing both Juvet (a new, 70 sq meters, two bedroom chalet was available), Storfjord hotel (jr. suite with fjord view) plus Brosundet in Ålesund and Håholmen Havstuer just north of the Atlantic road. We will go on Wild Life Sea safari, a fishing trip, some easy hiking, rafting (for my boys ;-) ) plus driving the Atlantic road and Trollstigen. Might also take a detour to see Geiranger and hotel Union Øie (but been there before so just maybe). Looking very much forward and will report back. We will fly in and out of Ålesund.
For what it's worth - and I say this as a fan of the Storfjord Hotel - the junior suites are likely to be quite a bit smaller and plainer than you imagine. The Storfjord Suite is worth every penny if it happens to be available during your stay. Similarly, there is a huge range of room quality at Brosundet, even within the same category, so don't be shy on insisting to see other options if the first room you are offered is underwhelming.
DavidO, Musken and GUWonder like this.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 11:24 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I got many tips from you for my trip to Sunnmøre, so time to report back to tell what a Norwegian thinks about travel in Norway.

We arrived in Ålesund by plane from Oslo and rented a car there.

Hotel Brosundet, Ålesund

We stayed one night in a jr. suite with extra bed for our son. A very friendly woman in the reception welcomed us and the holidays could start. Our suite was not particularly charming, mainly because it was actually a wheelchair accessible suite, but it was spacious and we loved the view, and decided not ask to see any others. Instead we grabbed a quick lunch on our way up the 418 steps to enjoy the view og this city from the viewpoint. Definitely worth it. After this we enjoyed the art nouveau architecture of the city and a glass of wine by the water. We had heard rumours that it was very hard to find tables for dinner in the city since the number of individual tourists is very high this year (mainly Norwegian travelling by car, instead of foreigners arriving with cruise ships or busses). The restaurant at the hotel was closed on Mondays (strange choice in the high season), so we had booked a table at XL Diner (funny name for a fish restaurant) to enjoy the bacalao which is very much eaten in this area. Food and view was good and we were happy. Next day we enjoyed a good breakfast in our hotel. For covid-19 reasons they did not offer the normal buffet, but instead a good selection of cheese and cold cuts plus scrambled eggs, bacon, different kind of bread etc. was served to the tables. A very good solution. After breakfast we had booked a trip with the company 62nord to go out in a rib boat to explore the Runde bird sanctuary, see seals and other wildlife and of course just enjoy the very high speed of the rib. Very worthwhile!

Storfjord Hotel

We stayed two nights in a jr. suite with fjord view again with an extra bed for our son.

It takes only around 30 minutes to drive from Ålesund to Storfjord. If you have not travelled to other parts of the area yet, you will find the fjord and landscape impressive, but it is really nothing compared to what you will see later. Hotel Brosundet is located up the hill overlooking Storfjord and the view is definitely good. From the moment we arrived, around an hour before the official check in time, we felt «at home». Everyone working there are very very friendly and service minded, almost shocking for Norway . Service was efficient but still carried out in a very informal, relaxed and personal way. Nothing was a problem, every wish we had was delivered efficiently and with a smile exceeding the expectations we have learnt to have when travelling in Norway. For example we asked if it would be possible for us to take our welcome drinks to the spa and the man at reception offered immediately to bring them to us there. He showed us around and asked us to call for him if we needed more service. We were very happy with our suite as well. Beautiful, cosy, and spacious. Wonderful soft beds and a large bathroom with a bath tub. Sitting area in front of the bed to enjoy the view. Balcony outside of the suite. All very good. The first afternoon we spent enjoying the spa including the outside tub. Also at dinner time we were happy, both nights we were served a four course meal using local produce of very high quality. Friendly waiters informed us about every dish and had great wine proposals for everything. There is no dress code, but most guests would be in smart casual, some dressing up a bit more. After dinner they light fires outside and have many areas both inside and outside where you can sit and enjoy drinks. Breakfast was buffet style. It felt safe given the very few guests, extended use of hand sanitizer etc. Our Norwegian government has also allowed buffets now for some time given the very low number of corona infected people here. For the afternoon we had booked horse back riding in a nearby mountain. Upon arrival there, the weather was good, just a few clouds, and weather forecast good, but minutes after we started preparing the horses, it was POURING down, so we decided to go back to the hotel after one hour since we were soaking wet. A pity, but these things can happen and travel in Norway means packing for all kinds of weather. We had rain coats, but not waterproof pants and just normal shoes which was not appropriate for a long lasting heavy downpour so we spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing in the hotel instead. Overall a very good stay in a hotel which I cannot recommend highly enough.

Håholmen havstuer by Classic Norway hotels

We stayed one night in a standard double room plus a single room for our son (all better rooms were sold out)

We wanted to drive the spectacular Atlantic Ocean Road and found this little hotel at the end of the route. On the way we stopped to enjoy the view and take pictures several places and had lunch in Bud, a charming village with a very simple restaurant which serves traditional Norwegian food (the famous «balls» made of fish or potatoes served with salted meat, bacon and vegerables is served every Thursday). Håholmen havstuer is located at a little island and there is a boat tranferring the guests from one of the larger islands (conneted to mainland by bridge) out to the small Håholmen island. The boat is actually a replika of a traditional boat used by vikings in the past and the trip out to the island takes around 10 minutes. On the island itself, there are several small cottages where the guest stay plus some larger houses for the reception area and two different restaurants. The rooms are small and simple, but comfortable. The island used to be a place where fishermen lived and everything is kept in the traditional style. Very charming. Friendly personnel and service, but not luxury. We spent the afternoon exploring the island from which you can see other small islands, the sea and even parts of the Atlantic Ocean Road with the impressive bridges. It is possible to rent fishing equipment and kayaks and if you stay longer, you can also book trips with traditional fishing boats etc. We had wine by the sea and enjoyed the view. Dinner at the restaurant is ala carte and very high quality compared to what I expected to find at a relatively isolated island and must be booked in advance. The sunset was spectacular and we slept really well. Classic Norway hotels have a number of hotels in this area and many look good so worth looking into if you want to experience this unique area and are willing to sacrifise on luxury (basically there are no high end alternatives anyway).

Juvet Landscape hotel

We stayed two nights in their newly built chalet, number 10

The road from Håholmen to Juvet goes up the famous Trollstigen road which is the most spectacular drive there is. I have driven here a few times before, but it is amazing every time. We made a stop for lunch at the top where there is a very touristic, modern glass building where you can buy souvenirs and have lunch (some classical Norwegian dishes, some normal stuff like hamburgers) plus of course walk to the viewpoints to see all of the Trollstigen road from above. From this stop, there is a short drive to Juvet where we arrived around one hour before check in time. Having heard the amazing reports from previous guests at this hotel and having experienced very good service in the other hotels, we were very disappointed about service at Juvet. Upon arrival we felt we were disturbing them, only someone working in the kitchen was available to «welcome us» and we did not feel that guests were appreciated. More about that later. We were taken to the chalet which is a bit further away from the other accommodation so we had to drive our car up there (but could walk up and down the hill on a small path to go to the restaurant building and spa). The chalet is, as I understand it from when I reserved, meant to be rented for longer periods of time, for example for writers and others seeking peace in the nature, but is rented for normal stays for now. It is not yet to be seen at the internet site. While the chalet is built in the same spectacular style as the other accommodation, it`s windows are smaller and the nature around it a bit more open so the feeling of really sleeping IN the nature is not as much present. However, it is very comfortable with a large open kitchen/living room with relaxing chairs, a sofa, dining table and writing desks plus a good outside sitting area. The interior is all black walls to maximise the view of the nature outside and beautiful minimalistic design furniture and lamps/appliances. Bathroom is simple, but better than in the other rooms. There are two bedrooms (one with a double bed, the other one with two single beds) which share a bathroom. Wifi is worse than the (very high) Norwegian standard. Having unpacked, we went to the spa area which is located just above the river with fantastic views. There is a sauna, a steam room and an outside tub with the most amazing views. Really spectacular. However, when it comes to service, it does not exist once you are at the spa. If you want drinks, you have to walk up hill to the main building and (hopefully) find someone to sell you whatever you would like to drink and then carry the drinks back down. There is no phone at the spa to call anyone. If you have forgotten towels or your robes, you have to go back to your room to fetch them. But once there, and especially if you are lucky enough to occupy one of the two sunbeds outside (yes, there are only two - other guests have to sit in uncomfortable chairs), you are in a very, very unique place. The view, the mountains, the river (we even took a swim as the weather was gorgeous during our stay) is very very special and we truly enjoyed ourselves. Dinner is at 8 promptly with long, shared tables for the guests, with distance between each group because of the corona virus. A three course meal is served. We enjoyed the food, but it was a big level down from Storfjord. After dinner, the service levels go down again. Firstly they were quick to ask us to leave the tables since they wanted to clear them. There are sitting areas inside and outside so no problem, just not used to being asked to move because the personnel want to do their job. As the weather was so glorious, we were sitting outside and not once anyone came to ask us if we wanted to order drinks. To do this, we have to go inside, and at one stage they stop service telling us «they have to go home to sleep as well». Maybe good for my shape for hiking the next day, but not what I expect from a hotel in this price range. Anyway, next morning we were served a very good breakfast including the famous strawberries from the valley, smoked salmon, freshly made scrambled eggs ++. They have no service for lunch whatsoever, but we could make our own sandwiches to bring for the day if we wanted. A woman came around giving tips for our plans for the day which was the first time I felt they offered good service. We had decided to take the car for a drive to beautiful Geiranger where we went for a hike to see a fantastic waterfall. We also truly enjoyed seeing the waterfall close to Juvet plus the spectacular fjords and mountains. Postcard perfect!! If interested, there are several possible activities nearby, including hiking, rafting and exploring the fjord on a kayak etc. After our outing, on the way back to the hotel, we stopped at the local Jordbærstova for lunch and the famous, delicious strawberry cake before going back to the spa for the glorious afternoon.

All in all I am wondering what to say regarding wether or not to recommend this hotel. There is no doubt that the location and nearby opportunities to see some wonders of nature is fantastic. Also there is no doubt that the architecture of the hotel is unique. However, please be aware that, as one guest said to me, this is more like glamping than a luxury hotel since the accommodation is basic (no showers in one room category for example, no curtains (to see the nature) etc.) and that the service levels and personnel are not up to standard. It could become great, but just is not. Maybe we were unlucky, I understood that the management was away when we were there, but I can only judge what we experienced. I am happy that we went, but was expecting more.

Hotel Union Øye

Finally a few words about hotel Union Øye where we have stayed before and this time just visited for lunch. A very traditional, historical hotel which gives a great variation to the others. Located relatively close to Geiranger with several fantastic mountrains for hikes nearby. The hotel is a wooden building with fantastic, individual rooms where royalties and other famous people have stayed for many years.

Overall

As some of you know, I was very sceptical to making holidays in my own country, but decided to do this this summer because of COVID-19. I wanted a worry free holiday, which I got here. I found hotels better than I expected and saw my country with new eyes. I actually want to see more of Norway after this. I miss the warm summer evenings in southern Europe and maybe this autumn I will crave hot weather and escape somewhere else (if possible), but will not regret that I decided against countries with higher corona infection risk this summer.

Last edited by Musken; Aug 6, 2020 at 2:19 pm
Old Aug 6, 2020, 1:15 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Some pictures

Spa view from inside

Spa view from outside

The new chalet inside

Chalet from inside

And outside
Ericka, Nizar and LinLant like this.

Last edited by Musken; Aug 6, 2020 at 4:43 am
Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:16 am
Aman Contributor Badge

And the nature close by Juvet

Bortom of Trollstigen

Trollstigen

Gudbrandsjuvet

Geiranger fjord

Storsæterfossen

Trollstigen

On the way to Geiranger

Viewpoint Trollstigen
Ericka, Nizar and LinLant like this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:22 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
So beautiful, Musken!
Musken likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 4:45 am
Aman Contributor Badge

If someone is interested in pictures from the other hotels, please let me know. I have loads.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 8:37 am

Breathtaking pictures, Musken. I know your service wasn't much at Juvet, but oh, the views. I could look at your pictures over and over and over. They are balm for my soul.
Musken and RichardInSF like this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 9:51 am

Wow! Pictures are awesome. How much extra did you have to pay for the "Blue Sky" weather package??
Musken and RichardInSF like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.