Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quebec City and Montreal luxury options

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by OliverB
I have stayed at The Chateau Frontenac at least a dozen times over the past 10 years and I've only ever had high thread count Egyptian cotton sheets and very comfortable king beds. I also stay in Gold Floor suites. If you're concerned, then it doesn't take much to request the kind of bedding and linens that you'd like. The hotel is extremely accommodating from my experience.
The point is that you shouldn't have to ask, and I would be glad that they put better quality things in a Gold Floor suite.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 5:27 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by ABG
Posting about bad rooms in a hotel prior to a 200 million dollar renovation is about as OT as I can think of.
I read this whole thread again. And no one has said he or she has actually stayed in this hotel AFTER the renovation. Have you? As a regular paid guest (you seem to be a travel agent - I have absolutely nothing against travel agents - but their hotel experiences aren't necessarily the most typical)? Robyn

Last edited by robyng; Sep 3, 2014 at 6:30 pm
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:08 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by robyng
I read this whole thread again. And no one has said he or she has actually stayed in this hotel AFTER the renovation. Have you? As a regular paid guest
Yes. as did vuittonsofstyle. Plus the 100's of room nights for my customers as regular paid guests including a near buy out of the property. I'm not trying to sound obnoxious, but stories about flashlights, high beds and broken hips are all OT. If you stayed there 10 years ago it isn't relevant anymore.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:17 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by ABG
Yes. as did vuittonsofstyle. Plus the 100's of room nights for my customers as regular paid guests including a near buy out of the property. I'm not trying to sound obnoxious, but stories about flashlights, high beds and broken hips are all OT. If you stayed there 10 years ago it isn't relevant anymore.
OK - so why don't you write up your stay(s)? Perhaps including whatever perks you got/think you got as a TA. Robyn
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:29 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by robyng;23470471[/LIST
Perhaps including whatever perks you got/think you got as a TA.
The exact reason why I don't comment on personal stays at properties. The only exception has been Jumby Bay. I certainly don't take threads miles OT.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
OK - so why don't you write up your stay(s)? Perhaps including whatever perks you got/think you got as a TA. Robyn
That's fodder for another thread. Let's stick to the topic, please.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:31 pm

I read this whole thread again. And no one has said he or she has actually stayed in this hotel AFTER the renovation. Have you? As a regular paid guest (you seem to be a travel agent - I have absolutely nothing against travel agents - but their hotel experiences aren't necessarily the most typical)? Robyn
I've stayed as recently as two years ago and my suite was renovated and absolutely lovely. Tastefully decorated in classic style with great views, nice amenities for the gold floor, upgraded two full room categories, experienced wonderful service; not a single complaint whatsoever. It's not a Ritz Carlton but the rates aren't either. It's relatively inexpensive and for a 120+ year old chateau of it's size and scale, I can't imagine what else you could hope for. I'd also disagree that you get the same experience just from visiting and having a drink at the bar. To each his/her own though.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:55 pm
ABG

I've stayed as recently as two years ago and my suite was renovated and absolutely lovely......It's not a Ritz Carlton
robyng is talking about the Ritz Carlton!!!
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:22 pm

Oops, I thought she was talking about the Frontenac.

I've passed by the Ritz almost daily only two months ago and that area is kind of a zoo. I suppose it's conveniently located in that it's central to more interesting destinations and a couple of blocks from the fine arts museum, but it's a bit charmless if you ask me. It's on a busy street with uninteresting shops and department stores; very commercialized, crappy restaurants, obnoxious club/bar scene only several blocks away, lots of boring food chains. The building itself is beautiful; the facade, lobby, etc. The bar is decent and that's saying something for Montreal (note: best to avoid cocktails and stick to wine/beer in general) but as a local, I'd still sooner recommend the St. James.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:33 am
In memoriam

Oops, I thought she was talking about the Frontenac.

I've passed by the Ritz almost daily only two months ago and that area is kind of a zoo. I suppose it's conveniently located in that it's central to more interesting destinations and a couple of blocks from the fine arts museum, but it's a bit charmless if you ask me. It's on a busy street with uninteresting shops and department stores; very commercialized, crappy restaurants, obnoxious club/bar scene only several blocks away, lots of boring food chains. The building itself is beautiful; the facade, lobby, etc. The bar is decent and that's saying something for Montreal (note: best to avoid cocktails and stick to wine/beer in general) but as a local, I'd still sooner recommend the St. James.
Nope - haven't mentioned Chateau Frontenac. Because my stay there was truly ancient. In the 70's. Think I'd have to agree with ABG or anyone else who said that a trip report from back then would be seriously out of date .

The best part of that trip was a loop through the Gaspe Peninsula and passing through Trois Rivieres on our way there from Montreal (on our way to Quebec and the Gaspe Peninsula). Our car broke down in Trois Rivieres. And - while a very competent mechanic named Claude - who looked like Mr. Goodwrench - repaired our car (after hours no less) - we enjoyed some good French food at a restaurant he recommended. Funny the little things that can make or break a trip.

BTW - the Gaspe Peninsula is extremely scenic.

http://www.quebecmaritime.ca/en/plan...-gaspesie-tour

http://luxebeatmag.com/discover-cana...spe-peninsula/

I recommend going there as part of a trip in the general area (e.g., Quebec and/or Montreal). There don't seem to be any luxury hotels there - even today. But there seem to be some properties that look like 4 stars - at least on paper:

http://www.sepaq.com/pq/gma/index.dot?language_id=1

Robyn
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:28 am

Yes that are is really beautiful and I'd recommend a roadtrip through Charlevoix (Le Manoir Richelieu) and Tadoussac for whale watching and zodiac excursions (Hôtel Tadoussac) towards Anticosti Island (many auberge to chose from and chalets for rent) and end in Percé (Les Chalets de l'Isle Percée/Hôtel La Normandie). There aren't any luxe properties as mentioned, but it's a beautiful coastal drive through the Bas-Saint Laurent region in summer and there's great food and sights along the way. There are many picturesque trail hikes in the Parc National du Saguenay; you can tour the neighboring villages and comb the sand dunes and beaches, sea kayak in the estuaries and fjords, explore the marine center, go on nature walks along the Sentier de la Coupe, Sentier de la Pointe-de-l'Islet and la Plage, and explore the many fjord trails. The entire Parc Marin du Saguenay–Saint-Laurent area is worth a bit of time. The Réserve Faunique de Matane area and Gîte du Mont-Albert in Sainte-Anne-des-Monts is quite scenic as well and a nice place to overnight. There are plenty of stops along the way in Parc National du Bic, Pointe-au-Père, the Appalachian Trail in Matane, the whole Gaspésie, Lac Cascapédia, Sainte-Anne-des-Monts, etc. Then take the ferry to Baie-Comeau; visit the Glacier Exploration Center & Maritime Park. The coastal drive to Pointe-des-Monts is picturesque. There's the Mingan Archipelago National Park Reserve from Longue-Pointe-de-Mingan to Îles de Mingan (Île Nue, Grande Île, Île Quarry, Île aux Perroquets). On Anticosti you can visit Port-Menier village, Kalimazoo Falls, explore the Chicotte-la-Mer seashore (horseback ride is a fun adventure) and admire the seals and marine mammals. Visit the abandoned lighthouse at Pointe Sud-Ouest, hike along Rivière Chicotte and swim in the natural rock and tidal pools. Swim, paddle, fish in Grand Lac Salé, Jupiter 12, and Salmon Pools. Hike along the parabola-shaped cliffs of Baie-de-la-Tour. You can take a guided nature hike to Chute Vauréal; visit the Wilcox Shipwreck; Pointe-Carleton; Peat Bog; the Grotte à la Patate cave system; tour the vestiges of Henri Menier's castle near Port-Menier; scuba dive and kayak with grey seals in Percé Bay; take a cruise around Rocher Percé to Bonaventure Island to view the grey and harbour seals, puffins, and northern gannet colonies; hike along the trails or take a lobster trapping tour on Bonaventure Island; explore Réserve Faunique de Port-Daniel. Enjoy great seafood!!

It's been well over a decade since I've been that far north but I'd love to revisit. Unfortunately, it's not as accessible from California and with the costs and time coming from the West Coast, it's difficult to prioritize. Perhaps if we ever spend a summer with family in Montreal we'll do it again. I'd love to take my wife.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Having lived in the hotel for over three months (though this was well before the recent renovation), I can certainly recommend the Ritz Carlton. I would love to see what it looks like now.

Incidentally, it's a partner hotel in a similar way that the Ritz Madrid and London are. The first owners were called Carlton Hotel Company of Montreal. One of the owners of this company was a friend of César Ritz, who agreed to lend his name (for a fee I'm sure). I think I'm right in saying that Ritz made sure that his 'brand standards' were followed very closely. I also think I'm right in saying that this arrangement of the Ritz and Carlton names is not where the current company branding originated, and is a coincidence.

Edit - I see page two covered some of this as well.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:26 pm
Original Member

Planning a September respite in and near Montreal. Is the St. James still the hotel of choice in Montreal for posters here?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RC update (was discussed in another thread) - it was RC franchise, but is now RC managed. now only RC franchise is chicago (ex FS)

seems exclusive trademarks for 3 "Ritz" hotels in europe may be expiring
not sure if that is why bvlgari london is a franchise (their only one)
Ritz Madrid became MO, not sure if theyll keep name after renovation
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:46 pm
ABG

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
but is now RC managed.
The Torriani family owns the management contract.

KatW, The old city location of the St James is very pleasant in the summer months. You might want to enquire about possible construction on the building as the hotel has a new owner. Otherwise, The Ritz Carlton provides an excellent 2nd choice, just a different location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.