Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quebec City and Montreal luxury options

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2014, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by ABG
Frontenac River?
You realize the architectural marvel you speak of here comes from the same team who did the Chateau Lake Louise that you describe as an eyesore?

In the end, this majestic building is something to view and visit, but not to stay as it is, like most big projects in Quebec, controlled by owners who don't care and unions who ruin it. There is no soul to this hotel anymore, it was killed years ago.
All this time I was thinking it was the St. Lawrence River

Are there any acceptable options in Quebec City?

What about Montreal? The renovated Ritz-Carlton looks promising. Along with R-C Chicago (Four Seasons), the Montreal property is another that to my knowledge is not actually managed by the Ritz-Carlton hotel company. It is now listed on R-C's website as a "partner hotel" however - presumably this is just for marketing purposes.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Sep 1, 2014 at 1:36 pm
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by OliverB
I disagree, there is a clearn winner. You're visiting a 17th century UNESCO heritage town and the last remaining fortified city in North America. The Château Frontenac is a majestic castle situated in the Upper Town, built atop a cliff and overlooking the fairytale-like village of Old Quebec; past the ancient ramparts, bastions, and the scenic Frontenac River. It's a fixture of the skyline and is said to be among the most photographed hotels in the world. It's a National Historic Site and architectural marvel; a wonderously preserved historic monument. It's arguably the center of attraction in Old Quebec and a fundamental landmark for all visitors. To chose to stay elsewhere just because you're not offered concierge butler service or the fanciest rainhead shower seems utterly foolish to me, but that's just my personal opinion. If you want to avoid the tour groups, visit early spring, late fall, or anytime mid-winter save the holidays - though it can be absolutely magical during that time of year when the cobblestone streets are blanketed in freshly fallen snow and the river's aglow beaneath the cascading lights of the town; a veritable winter wonderland. I've stayed at The Frontenac many, many, many times when the hotel was quiet and mostly empty. If you book a Gold Suite with a view of the river, there's really little to complain about, and if you aren't completely in awe of the Frontenac then I wonder if Quebec City is really the best destination for you. Most people chose to visit Quebec for it's rich history, architecture, and medieval European village feel. The old town is quaint and picturesque but it's not exactly a mecca of culture or commerce. You visit for the old world romance, not modern luxury. You can find that in most any city.
One can go there for a drink, enjoy the experience of being in the Frontenac and Quebec City without paying top dollar for poly/cotton sheets and indifferent service. The analysis suggested above is the same nonsense cited by overpriced tourist traps in dozens of places around the world. Quebec City is a wonderful place, but there are different places to enjoy it from.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by grumbler
One can go there for a drink, enjoy the experience of being in the Frontenac and Quebec City without paying top dollar for poly/cotton sheets and indifferent service. The analysis suggested above is the same nonsense cited by overpriced tourist traps in dozens of places around the world. Quebec City is a wonderful place, but there are different places to enjoy it from.
I agree completely with your assessment. The previous contributor is welcome to his/her opinion, but not everyone needs to stay at a historic or beautiful property if the trappings don't match the needs/wants (or value proposition) of the guest. We can bring our mothers there for a drink to appreciate the view and "majesty" of the property...while not needing to stay there or pay top dollar for a suite in an otherwise less stellar property. I've enjoyed drinks at the FSGV bar in Paris, but I wouldn't ever want to stay there. To each, their own.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:39 pm

That's fine until you start offering false information like suggesting that Fairmont uses polyester sheets, which is just absurd.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:49 am

Bhrubin - have you considered the opinion of the mothers in question - if it's a surprise visit I suggest that you try to find out their thoughts on the hotels in question sureptisiosly. I'm a mother and I just hope my children never take me to a W - no matter how WOW or Wonderful it might be in some people's opinions. I generally though prefer historic properties even if they are crumbling piles but I accept not all mothers think the same way!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by quitecontrary
Bhrubin - have you considered the opinion of the mothers in question - if it's a surprise visit I suggest that you try to find out their thoughts on the hotels in question sureptisiosly. I'm a mother and I just hope my children never take me to a W - no matter how WOW or Wonderful it might be in some people's opinions. I generally though prefer historic properties even if they are crumbling piles but I accept not all mothers think the same way!
Our mothers will appreciate the trip we take them on and likely will not be concerning themselves with the details. We stay where we think we can get the best accommodations as per our style and the best service as per our preferences--and in this case, with the best value proposition since we are paying for extra rooms. The W in Montreal is likely our best bet, as it fits our style quite well and my SPG Plat status will get us upgraded (and likely, but not guaranteed, our mothers' rooms upgraded a bit, too). We are 44 and 57 but gay men who very much enjoy the W style when we travel. Our mothers have enjoyed such properties in the past, as well.

In cities, the specifics of the hotel and even the accommodation type (room vs suite, etc) are less critical to us as we don't spend as much time in the hotel as compared to when we are in more rural locales. We therefore tend to try to find the best value proposition in cities. In rural locales, we often find ourselves spending/splurging more since we tend to hang around the hotel property and/or our own accommodations more often.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by OliverB
That's fine until you start offering false information like suggesting that Fairmont uses polyester sheets, which is just absurd.
It's not, and they do (they are not polyester - but some sort of synthetic blend). It is something I have only seen in Canadian Fairmonts, including the Laurier, Frontenac, and Montebello.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:09 pm
In memoriam

It's not, and they do (they are not polyester - but some sort of synthetic blend). It is something I have only seen in Canadian Fairmonts, including the Laurier, Frontenac, and Montebello.
Too bad there's no "hotel collection". I've given up looking for cotton/poly blend sheets because they're pretty much extinct (I liked the better quality ones because they felt good and really were "wrinkle free").

And to bhrubin - if you haven't traveled with your mothers before - I would just ask if there's anything special they might need in a hotel room. They're probably older than me and my husband (perhaps a lot older - I'm 67) - and they might need things you don't know about. Ranging from a walk-in shower with grab rails to a handicap toilet (the kinds of things you find in a handicap accessible room). There can be other problematic things one might find in a hotel room/B&B - like one of those super high beds where you need a step stool to get on it (but I doubt you'd find anything like that at a W anywhere ).

FWIW - different people can have different issues regardless of age. But - the older people get - the more likely they are to have issues. And - unless your mothers are like my father (last living parent of ours) - they don't spend all their time with you talking about any medical/mobility issues they might have. So it's always good to ask if you're making plans on behalf of other people.

We don't need any special accommodations - yet. But - when we hit our 60's - we started to travel with a couple of those plug in the wall "night lights" you can buy for peanuts at Home Depot and a couple of flashlights to put on nightstands. Just because we find ourselves waking up more often in the middle of the night when it's dark and we don't want to trip and fall in an unfamiliar place with unfamiliar stuff when we're hunting for a light switch. We liked the night lights so much we put them in the main hallway in our house - so neither of us has to turn on lights and bother the other in the middle of the night. Now that I think about - I doubt older people are the only people who stay in hotels who wind up stumbling around in the dark trying to find light switches. It's just that the older you get - the more likely you are to bust a hip or similar if you fall down.

Has anyone stayed at the RC in Montreal post-renovation? We stayed there pre-renovation and - to put it kindly - it was less than impressive. I don't remember bad service - just super tired well past their prime rooms. I think part of the problem then was the general economic malaise in Quebec province. And - compared to other Canadian provinces - Quebec still seems somewhat depressed these days (although I'm too far removed from the situation to understand everything that's going on):

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/news/quebec-economy/

Robyn

Last edited by robyng; Sep 2, 2014 at 3:20 pm
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:43 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by robyng
(although I'm too far removed from the situation to understand everything that's going on):
Then why are you posting?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:45 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Are there any acceptable options in Quebec City?

What about Montreal? The renovated Ritz-Carlton looks promising. Along with R-C Chicago (Four Seasons), the Montreal property is another that to my knowledge is not actually managed by the Ritz-Carlton hotel company. It is now listed on R-C's website as a "partner hotel" however - presumably this is just for marketing purposes.
Up thread I mentioned my opinion MikeFromTokyo. Afraid I don't remember why Ritz Montreal isn't a full Ritz. Something to do with their original deal from 100 years ago I guess.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 5:47 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by ABG
Then why are you posting?
To give my personal thoughts about why the RC was at the time a pretty bad property.

In any event - what was then was then. What is now is now. The property was renovated in 2008. Has anyone stayed there post-renovation? Robyn
Old Sep 3, 2014, 5:55 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by ABG
Up thread I mentioned my opinion MikeFromTokyo. Afraid I don't remember why Ritz Montreal isn't a full Ritz. Something to do with their original deal from 100 years ago I guess.
It goes back more than 100 years. Basically - Cesar Ritz allowed the property to use the Ritz name when it opened in the late 1890's. But the property has always been independently owned. This and other history is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ritz-Carlton_Montreal

Robyn
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:12 am

It goes back more than 100 years. Basically - Cesar Ritz allowed the property to use the Ritz name when it opened in the late 1890's. But the property has always been independently owned. This and other history is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ritz-Carlton_Montreal

Robyn
Ritz-Carlton Montreal is owned by the Torriani family (Marco Torriani was, for many years, the celebrated GM of MO Geneva). They use R-C for marketing purposes, but essentially, this is a family-owned and run hotel and is, IMHO, by far the best option in Montreal. Outstanding food in Maison Boulud and really lovely rooms and suites. Spa is yet to come but is scheduled for opening within the next 12 months (probably more, I suspect).
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:23 am
ABG

In any event - what was then was then.
Posting about bad rooms in a hotel prior to a 200 million dollar renovation is about as OT as I can think of.

Last edited by ABG; Sep 3, 2014 at 1:36 pm
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:59 am

I have stayed at The Chateau Frontenac at least a dozen times over the past 10 years and I've only ever had high thread count Egyptian cotton sheets and very comfortable king beds. I also stay in Gold Floor suites. If you're concerned, then it doesn't take much to request the kind of bedding and linens that you'd like. The hotel is extremely accommodating from my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.