FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Best Room, Suite or Villa you've stayed in? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1604754-best-room-suite-villa-youve-stayed.html)

quitecontrary Aug 21, 2014 8:16 am

Best Room, Suite or Villa you've stayed in?

There was an old thread on this but as it was over 10 years old I've started a new one. I'll start it off by saying I've just stayed in one of the Prestige Suites at the IC in Marseille - easily the most impressive Suite I've stayed in! It was approx 115 M² with ceilings of 6-7M high and floor to ceiling opening windows overlooking the Vieux Port and the Notre Dame. Extremely well thought out layout with excellent fittings including all electric curtains and Porcelanosa bathroom fittings. Much more impressive than say the Pen in Shanghai - no little delivery hatch though! http://marseille.intercontinental.co...ge-suites.html

Second best is a tie between either Villa 501 at Sugar Beach (formerly the Jalousie ) in St Lucia - just loved the all white decor which complimented the colonial inspired design and the views from the plunge pool and terrace are to die for - or our corner suite at the IC in Sydney, well appointed but what made it was the views of the full harbour right round from the Bridge past the Opera House out to the east.

Best room would be the Park Hyatt in Siem Reap - loved the layout and decor. Others such as Oriental Bangkok, MO HK, FSs Budapest and Bosphorus may have been nice and had great views but for actual room the PH is the one I think was the best.

Pausanias Aug 21, 2014 10:28 am

Shall I go first? But in no particular order . . .

The overwater bungalow called Vete at the Hotel Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Any room at the Chateau de Bagnols, France
Our room at the Four Seasons, Carmelo, Uruguay
Our first room in 1990 at Amandari, Bali, Indonesia
Ed Tuttle's villa at Amanpuri, Phuket, Thailand
Poolside cabanas at the Beverly Wilshire, Beverly Hills, USA

Perhaps the best of all has been Amantaka, Luang Prabang, Laos

Great city hotels such as FS Hong Kong and Doha were stunning but a bit predictable.

I also recall with the greatest affection several rooms and hotels which might not have been luxury but were bursting with character:

Our hilarious fale at Aggie Grey's, Apia, Samoa

Peponi at Lamu, Kenya, then the trendiest hotel in the world

Living a Joseph Conrad novel at the Maulana Inn, Banda Islands, Indonesia

Gazing across a forest of Roman columns from our balcony at the Meridien Hotel, Palmyra, Syria (RIP)

The Petra Rest House, Petra, Jordan, where the cold water tap was on one wall and the basin on another.

Apsara Villas in Siem Reap, Cambodia, in 1992 - dead snakes in the empty pool and giant spiders in our room (this place is now Amansara).

quitecontrary Aug 21, 2014 10:32 am

Ok - you win:D

Nice list.

SanDiego1K Aug 21, 2014 11:29 am

Best: 1800 sq ft beachfront suite at St Regis Punta Mita with private pool and jacuzzi.

Worst: private cottage in Bandipur National Park, India. Our driver didn't speak English. The cook didn't speak English. There were no linens on the bed and no running water. We had a single blanket (width of a cot) to cover two of us on a very chilly night. We had wild boar running around the building at night. I subsequently got pneumonia. We figured out that the rate for the cottage was $2/night. I've no idea why the agency booked it on what was otherwise a luxe trip.

Pierre&Cédric Aug 21, 2014 3:03 pm

Nicest: Conventino Presidential Suite at Four Seasons Florence
Best lay out / residential feeling: Bvlgari V at Bvlgari London
Best holiday suite: Sveti Stefan Suite at Aman Sveti Stefan

May be if you ask again tomorrow I will say something different :p

bpratt Aug 21, 2014 5:52 pm

Observatory Suite in Sydney

The Observatory Suite at the hotel of the same name in Sydney was spectacular, and larger than the apartment I lived in at the time. Unfortunately I was only there for one night.
Someone at the hotel decided I was the Australian Rules Hall of Fame player I share a name with, and when I checked in at 10pm the front desk didn't realize I was at least 50 years too young :-)

Bob

bhrubin Aug 23, 2014 10:45 am

Favorite suite/villas includes:

The Point, Vatulele Island, Fiji--spacious villa with 2 dramatic private pools and ocean view

Grand Deluxe Riverview Suite, Peninsula Shanghai--amazing suite design, layout, and views, probably favorite city suite for us ever

Everest Suite, St. Regis Lhasa, Tibet--beautiful spacious suite with amazing view and private deck looking onto Potala Palace

Presidential Villa, Azura Benguerra Island, Mozambique--incredibly spacious villa with huge pool and bar/layout

Presidential Suite, The Halkin, London--love an urban suite with an outdoor terrace, especially in boutique type property

Presidential Suite, Hotel de Vendome--beautiful Deco suite with private outdoor terrace, boutique type property

Villa, Cavas Wine Lodge, Mendoza, Argentina--the view is majestic in a boutique property

Indrakila Suite, Amankila, Bali--spacious villa with amazing pool deck with forever views

lazard Aug 23, 2014 11:05 am

Intercontinental HK Presidential Suite

KatW Aug 24, 2014 11:45 am

River-view Edwardian suite at The Savoy in London
Pool suite at La Casa Que Canta in Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Vista suite at Ventana, Big Sur
Villa King Jacuzzi suite at The Peninsula Beverly Hills
At Las Alamandas, Casa del Domo and Casa del Sol.

landing Aug 25, 2014 1:22 am

2 Bedroom Penthouse Suites, The Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai