Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

REMOTE LUXURY--best remote luxury properties (prefer non-chain)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2017, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BobbySteel
USA
Colorado - http://duntonhotsprings.com/cabins-rates/ (Cowboy/old west style)
Utah - Amangiri (Desert resort)
Wyoming - Amangani
Montana - Triple Creek Ranch http://www.triplecreekranch.com/

Canada
BC - http://www.siwashlakeranch.com/
BC, Vancouver Island - Clayoquot http://wildretreat.com/
Newfoundland - Fogo Island Inn
Manitoba - Churchill Wild http://www.nationalgeographiclodges.com/lodges/north-america/churchill-wild/about/

GB
Kinloch Lodge, Isle of Skye, Scotland

Mexico
Las Alamandas, Costa Alegre, Mexico

Rwanda
Sabyinyo Silverback Lodge

Egypt
Adrere Amallal

Seychelles
Desroches Island

Botswana
Kings Pool

South Africa
Singita Boulders
Earth Lodge

Tanzania
Faru Faru Lodge
Ngorongoro Crater Lodge

Madagascar
Hotel L'Anjajavy, Madagascar
Tsarabanjina

Namibia
Little Kulala
Serra Cafema

Mozambique
Nkwichi Lodge on Lake Malawi
Azura, Benguerra Island, Mozambique

Fiji
Vatulele Island, Fiji (The Point)

Australia
Lizard Island, Australia (The Pavilion)
Kangaroo Island - Southern Ocean Lodge

New Zealand
Wharekauhau Lodge
Blanket Bay

Indonesia
Amankila, Bali, Indonesia (Indrakila Suite)
Amanjiwo, Java, Indonesia (Borobodur Pool Suite)
Amanwana, Moyo, Indonesia

Philippines
Amanpulo

Bhutan

Amankora

Chile
Awasi Patagonia
Explora Rapa Nui

Peru
Aqua Expeditions M/V Aria, Peruvian Amazon

Nicaragua
Mukul Resort, (Oceantfront Villa)

India
Amanwana
Amanbagh
Orange County Resort in Kabini, Karnataka
Print Wikipost

REMOTE LUXURY--best remote luxury properties (prefer non-chain)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:33 am
In memoriam

How about "glamping"? E.g.,

http://www.glamping.com/

I've read about it in a couple of articles - and it seems to be an up and coming way to travel.

You can also find properties that are certainly remote and seem to be luxurious by looking for "eco-friendly" hotels. Some in this collection appear to qualify (although some are in urban areas):

http://www.architecturaldigest.com/a...tels-slideshow

Robyn

P.S. Googling "luxury eco resorts" will bring up results like this:

http://www.sonoraresort.com/

Last edited by robyng; Aug 21, 2014 at 8:07 am
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by ridefar
How about Antarctic cruises? Or arctic cruises? Any that would be considered luxury that FTers have enjoyed?
How about this to the North Pole - pretty remote but maybe not luxurious -
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...orth-pole.html
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
I'd love to know if there's any luxury option for aurora viewing!!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:31 pm

The Fogo Island Inn is remote.
http://www.fogoislandinn.ca/

Places far removed that take significant effort to get to qualify in my book. And those where the rest of humanity seems far away.

E.g. Bhutan, certain Pacific Islands, wilderness lodges.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by erik123
The Fogo Island Inn is remote.
http://www.fogoislandinn.ca/

Places far removed that take significant effort to get to qualify in my book. And those where the rest of humanity seems far away.

E.g. Bhutan, certain Pacific Islands, wilderness lodges.
Agreed.

For me, personally, living in SoCal, wouldn't go to great lengths to specifically visit Fogo Island Inn since its location offers so little to do of interest to me. But were I already in the New England or eastern Canada region, I definitely would consider adding some time to visit to unplug and get away from it all.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:45 pm

For aurora borealis, what about the ION Luxury Adventure Hotel? Never been but it is on my list of places to get to

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Think many of us find this FT forum informative & even , perhaps , educational like this thread .
Now that we have had an amazing time viewing the aurora borealis , every night at Nellim & surrounds , Finland , we will like to check it out down south , it ' s then the aurora australis . The Finns are practical & I think along with this trait , there isn ' t what I consider luxury to be found , clean lines & saunas , yes
So is there anywhere we can consider as remotely luxury if we wish to experience aurora borealis again or dare I hope , aurora australis ?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by robyng
There was a trip report on Sonora here a couple weeks ago. Sonora does sound nice but the one I wanted to visit is Clayoquot Wilderness Resort. That should definitely count as remote and luxury!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

Let us know what remote luxury properties and specific accommodations particularly impressed you...but please only include properties that are truly remote (the outskirts of a city don't count IMO).
bhrubin, I also like luxury hotels in a remote setting but I don't see why everyone has to follow your definition or even agree with you. This is a forum for discussions and sharing, everyone should be entitled to their opinion!

Back on topic:
I enjoy remote properties both for its location and the journey to get there. If it is close to a metropolitan city or easily within reach of a major airport, then it takes away from that sense of escaping from the crowds. The remote properties that I like (but not necessarily Aman-luxurious) and would gladly return are:

Saffire Freycinet
Wolgan Valley
Regis et Jacques Marcon
Oberoi Rajvilas
Shiretoko Grand Hotel
Songtsam Tacheng
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by HKTraveler
bhrubin, I also like luxury hotels in a remote setting but I don't see why everyone has to follow your definition or even agree with you. This is a forum for discussions and sharing, everyone should be entitled to their opinion!
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think it's fairly obvious that some were not merely offering alternative opinions as much as tearing down the simple concept I originally outlined--quite clearly, despite protests to the contrary. In lieu of providing their own suggestions, they simply knocked the concept. If this is a forum for discussion, and they are entitled to share their opinions that are so divisive, then I am similarly entitled to share my opinion that they should be constructive. Fair is fair, after all.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think it's fairly obvious that some were not merely offering alternative opinions as much as tearing down the simple concept I originally outlined--quite clearly, despite protests to the contrary. In lieu of providing their own suggestions, they simply knocked the concept. If this is a forum for discussion, and they are entitled to share their opinions that are so divisive, then I am similarly entitled to share my opinion that they should be constructive. Fair is fair, after all.
How are you drawing the line on luxury? Are you thinking Aman type experience only or would a nice comfy place with good service do?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:26 pm

Some options in British Columbia and Montana:

Clayoquot wilderness resort
Baldface Lodge if ur into powder skiing
Flathead Lake Lodge
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

How are you drawing the line on luxury? Are you thinking Aman type experience only or would a nice comfy place with good service do?
I'm leaving that to the eye of the beholders...both in terms of luxury and remote locale. I may not agree with all but I don't need to say so! I'll just consider the ones that ultimately fit my definitions and let everyone else do the same.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:07 am

Maybe another word for 'remote' might be 'exotic.'

Last edited by Pausanias; Aug 22, 2014 at 4:16 am
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:01 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

"I'm leaving that to the eye of the beholders...both in terms of luxury and remote locale. I may not agree with all but I don't need to say so! I'll just consider the ones that ultimately fit my definitions and let everyone else do the same."

Thumbs up.

I remember thinking that the St. Regis Puerto Rico was fairly remote and exotic at one point in my life--before finding flyertalk and getting inspired to jet set around the world. And oddly, this was after doing the old college/grad school thing with a backpack/bus pass/no money all throughout Europe, both western and eastern parts, camping in places where there were no hotels and no English. In thinking back, those times were a lot more remote/exotic (to me, at this moment) than the trip we were thinking about doing in Rwanda or Bhutan.

Even Ocean City MD seems exotic since my life has been so cloistered these last several years.

My personal definitions and experiences are always in flux. Right now, I'm much more interested in trips that have a Wes Anderson vision, like a train trip through Northern India with some occasionally whimsical/luxurious and a trip to Borneo. Life is too short and we've got a five year old that I want to see experience things. Having said that, our next trip will be Cancun, then Kauai... before venturing out to Machu Pichu and then heck of an around the world trip.

Thank you all on this board for many inspiring ideas. I probably wouldn't have traveled half as much if it weren't for you all!

Last edited by DSI; Aug 22, 2014 at 7:08 am
Old Aug 22, 2014, 7:36 am
In memoriam

There was a trip report on Sonora here a couple weeks ago. Sonora does sound nice but the one I wanted to visit is Clayoquot Wilderness Resort. That should definitely count as remote and luxury!
Clayoquot has some pretty pricey tents!

http://www.wildretreat.com/rates/

Of course - even the lower end accommodations come with "modern composting toilets" <LOL>. Guess it just strikes me as odd that people would spend so much money for these things - since - like others here - I spent part of my youth traveling to various places with similar "amenities" for peanuts (think I spent all of $1-2k on my first 2 month trip to Europe back when I was in school).

BTW - my brother went on a fly fishing trip to Vancouver Island - and he said the fishing was great. My favorite things on Vancouver Island were Butchart Gardens and the Royal BC Museum. Different strokes for different folks and all that...

Robyn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.