Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Closest luxury hotel to AUH (Abu Dhabi) airport? (12 hour layover)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Closest luxury hotel to AUH (Abu Dhabi) airport? (12 hour layover)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 12:59 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by Big_Foot
Hey, no worries, your post sounded very opinionated and was so different
from our experience
Look, I don't think it's the brand.
We are at Shangri La Tokyo right now and it's a little strange.
The room is AMAZING, we have one of the best suites here, great amenities,
very clean, great view, great everything.
Service is wonderful, they are very helpful, no problems with anything.
But food is very strange. They are making this place look very snobbish
(I guess it's cultural), breakfast is awful to be honest, a very limited choice,
most of the items are tasteless. Lunch is borderline disastrous,
a tiny (I mean you need a magnifying glass to find it on your plate)
portion of chicken called some fancy name etc...
So I guess you can't have everything.
But we would still come back for the room, location and their service.
Did you eat at Nadaman as well? I was there a month ago and had a fantastic dinner (Sakura tasting menu).
Old May 18, 2016, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by JohnRain
Did you eat at Nadaman as well? I was there a month ago and had a fantastic dinner (Sakura tasting menu).
Thanks for the tip! Not yet, we are here just for a few days
and eat mostly outside, breakfast is tough as it's convenient to get it early here.

A great trip BTW, after some heavy rain yesterday, AMAZING weather now,
probably the best couple of days here in Tokyo ever
The best flight with ANA First too, a very kind and helpful crew, we asked for low temps
and they kept it that way, even though everyone else was freezing LOL
They were pro-active, trying to help anyway they could, a really great flight.

Last edited by Big_Foot; May 18, 2016 at 1:07 am
Old May 18, 2016, 1:09 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by Big_Foot
Thanks for the tip! Not yet, we are here just for a few days
and eat mostly outside, breakfast is tough as it's convenient to get it early here.
Most welcome. Some pics from the dinner to whet your appetite...
Glad you're enjoying Tokyo, it really is an amazing city. I can't wait to be back!
BTW, did you eat at p&c by Sergi Arola at the S-L AUH when you were there? They make outstanding tapas (Michelin star level).
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA
I have roughly 20 hours in AUH and just want to relax with a nice pool, shisha and like kebab. For such a short stay I wouldnt book a suite. I have been to Abu Dhabi multiple times and am very fond of the Rosewood but would be open to something else for my short stay. I read here the Fairmont is good, possibly another option is the St. Regis on Corniche. 4S pool seems small and like the Rosewood more of a business hotel. I dont want to be out at Saadiyat island. Thanks for current thoughts on luxury properties.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I had a good stay at GH Abu Dhabi in Corniche. Gorgeous lobby. They're still in a soft opening phase but had the pool all to myself during the weekday mornings. The 1 bedroom residence was very special. Even basic rooms are spacious as well.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aventine
I had a good stay at GH Abu Dhabi in Corniche. Gorgeous lobby. They're still in a soft opening phase but had the pool all to myself during the weekday mornings. The 1 bedroom residence was very special. Even basic rooms are spacious as well.
Thanks Aventine. My concern is the pool (if I am looking at the right photos) doesnt appear to have any shaded areas for relaxing, is this the case? I am curious if the pool area at the Fairmont is indeed as nice as seems in photos or if there are better properties now for luxury pool lounging close to the city?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
Thanks Aventine. My concern is the pool (if I am looking at the right photos) doesnt appear to have any shaded areas for relaxing, is this the case? I am curious if the pool area at the Fairmont is indeed as nice as seems in photos or if there are better properties now for luxury pool lounging close to the city?
Other than parasols? No, they don't have any palm trees or landscaping providing nature shade at GH. Fairmont's pool is very nice. I like the palm trees scattered in the pool and the fact they have a real beach.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:36 am
Suspended

Other than parasols? No, they don't have any palm trees or landscaping providing nature shade at GH. Fairmont's pool is very nice. I like the palm trees scattered in the pool and the fact they have a real beach.
Good to know, thanks for confirming my concerns about shaded areas. Vuittons writes that via friends reporting the Fairmont is still decent but the clear standout is Four Seasons which is in a different league.

Am I overlooking a property (with exception of those on Saadiyat, although I didnt find the St Regis pool that nice) or does the Fairmont have one of the better pool areas?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:03 am

I don’t think you’ve missed any in this discussion, however my 2 cents:

- FS: excellent hotel, small pool area that can get VERY windy. Service and hard product very good. I would recommend it. It is clear thought that you don’t get a resort feel here.
- Rosewood: same as FS, but service a slight notch below and hard product a bit tired.
- Grand Hyatt Pearl: excellent hard product, don’t know about service yet. Pool area small and as described by another poster above. Tiny beach area - you could argue that it gives you that little bit of a resort feel.
- Fairmont: good pool area but the hard product is far behind the three above. Service can be hit and miss in my experience.

And then... have we forgotten about Emirates Palace?! Well, pools and beach are beautiful. The main issue here are the walking distances as the property is HUGE. I’ve had very good service here. Hard product - depends on your taste, it is a palace in the end.

Full disclosure: I live in Abu Dhabi and my wife and I prefer the FS to lay by the pool due to the excellent service and hard product. We have, however, been to all the other ones.

if you consider Saadiyat, I suggest to go for Park Hyatt.
BOStonTravels likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:11 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
We often overnight between CAI and SYD flights, but take the earlier 1:30PM flight. The earlier flights are less busy in J.

I have a soft spot for the PH. On our last stay we were upgraded to a Private villa with pool which gave us the privacy we were looking for. We don't use it for overnights, though, as we are often arriving to the hotel at 8PM and our at 9AM the next morning.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good to know, thanks for confirming my concerns about shaded areas. Vuittons writes that via friends reporting the Fairmont is still decent but the clear standout is Four Seasons which is in a different league.

Am I overlooking a property (with exception of those on Saadiyat, although I didnt find the St Regis pool that nice) or does the Fairmont have one of the better pool areas?
I think PH has a gorgeous pool configuration with palm trees and cabana covers over chairs and the seaside beach right there. Fairmont's interior choices are pretty hideous and service isn't anything near FS or Emirates Palace.

GH service was very attentive for the most part but a lot of their outlets and facilities aren't open yet. Only 1 restaurant, 1 lounge and 1 pool. Their beach is basically a 5 meter long sand bar with no view or anything else there.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:09 am
Suspended

I think PH has a gorgeous pool configuration with palm trees and cabana covers over chairs and the seaside beach right there. Fairmont's interior choices are pretty hideous and service isn't anything near FS or Emirates Palace.

GH service was very attentive for the most part but a lot of their outlets and facilities aren't open yet. Only 1 restaurant, 1 lounge and 1 pool. Their beach is basically a 5 meter long sand bar with no view or anything else there.
I do like that particular PH style a lot, its much nicer than the St. Regis down the beach, but have found its often overrun with tour groups and unless I am misremembering the pool although beautiful doesnt seem to be really meant for swimming vs lounging? Its too bad the Fairmont seems not to have aged well as I was hoping it would be a good choice given the views of the mosque.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do like that particular PH style a lot, its much nicer than the St. Regis down the beach, but have found its often overrun with tour groups and unless I am misremembering the pool although beautiful doesnt seem to be really meant for swimming vs lounging? Its too bad the Fairmont seems not to have aged well as I was hoping it would be a good choice given the views of the mosque.
Emirates Palace is probably the quietest, emptiest and most beautiful pool/beach out there.
BOStonTravels and narvik like this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:30 am
Suspended

Emirates Palace is probably the quietest, emptiest and most beautiful pool/beach out there.
Good to know, the 4S/PH style is more in line with what I enjoy. My sense is the Palace is well...a palace and over the top bling! I checked out photos of the 4S and it looks beautiful but my concern is the pool area doesnt even seem to have the shade that the Rosewood does and I think this might be intolerable during August.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good to know, the 4S/PH style is more in line with what I enjoy. My sense is the Palace is well...a palace and over the top bling! I checked out photos of the 4S and it looks beautiful but my concern is the pool area doesnt even seem to have the shade that the Rosewood does and I think this might be intolerable during August.
100% humidity these days too my friend. The Four Seasons is a very nice hotel. I'd go with that if not going to Saadiyat Island and PH, StR, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.