Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Four Seasons Resort Ko Olina at Lanikuhonua (Oahu, Hawaii)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold

I hope this is true. It would be great to finally have a Four Seasons on Oahu. I hope they renovate the rooms though, I've been in almost every type of room at the Ihilani (even some of the suites), and I wasn't amazed.

JW Marriott Ihilani to close next year and likely become Four Seasons

BTW, they should immediately offer Chris Kajioka a job.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:13 am
In memoriam

What didn't you like about the rooms? We stayed at the Ihilani shortly after it opened (before Marriott entered the picture) and thought the rooms were really nice. Perhaps the rooms have just seen a lot of hard wear - and a renovation will bring them back . Robyn
Old Aug 14, 2014, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

387 room jw marriott next to disney (359 rooms + 460 timeshares) >
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=aulan...gl=us&t=h&z=18
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=21....80&form=LMLTCC

similar to FS maui next to grand wailea >
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=20....80&form=LMLTCC

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 17, 2014 at 9:05 am
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by robyng
Perhaps the rooms have just seen a lot of hard wear - and a renovation will bring them back . Robyn
This is it exactly. I'm hoping the Four Seasons touch will do the trick.

p.s. If any of the FT travel agents can get me a room on opening night please PM me.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: Leaders Unlimited,Fairmont Platinum,SLH Loved,IC Ambassador
Talking YEY!

Originally Posted by love_to_travel
This is it exactly. I'm hoping the Four Seasons touch will do the trick.

p.s. If any of the FT travel agents can get me a room on opening night please PM me.
Ditto on the PM, i would love to do a review and feedback on this launch, Im always abit stuck on where to stay on Oahu.. never tried this hotel when it was a Marriott- we dont usually find Marriotts that great, refurbished as a Four Seasons would make this property more than tempting and bring us back to Oahu when we had frankly more or less given up on this Island.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 5:25 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by CanfordCliffs
Ditto on the PM, i would love to do a review and feedback on this launch, Im always abit stuck on where to stay on Oahu.. never tried this hotel when it was a Marriott- we dont usually find Marriotts that great, refurbished as a Four Seasons would make this property more than tempting and bring us back to Oahu when we had frankly more or less given up on this Island.
One would have to consider things other than the property ownership. Like the property location and the amenities - and whether they're what you're looking for. The place is a little "out in the sticks" from Honolulu. Which wasn't my favorite. And - although there are some interesting things to see on Oahu - it wasn't my favorite island. Robyn
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:26 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others

I think for Honolulu it is still the Halekulani.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:04 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Originally Posted by grumbler
I think for Honolulu it is still the Halekulani.
There are some lovely things about the Halekulani, primarily the location and the two ocean front restaurants. However, the rooms even though recently refreshed are not at Four Seasons standards, the spa is far too small, as is the gym. It will likely be worth it for my family to drive to the new Four Seasons to enjoy the service and amenities I know this property will have once open. I can't wait for it to open.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 3:18 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
If Four Seasons really is the new operator of this property, it will be interesting to see what they can do to bring it up to FS standards. That being said, there are two big reasons IMO for why people like Oahu over the other Hawaiian islands: plentiful nonstop flights from many places in N America (and Asia) and the ability to be in/near Honolulu.

This property isn't particularly close to Honolulu, so its convenience when measured against the Halekulani or even Kahala is less than optimal.

This property also isn't the most aesthetically pleasing. Its location is mundane on a lagoon without any real surf or sense that it's special or even oceanfront (seafront yes, but doesn't feel like ocean). For those who dislike the St. Regis Princeville because the structure is less than pleasing, this property is similarly less pleasing with a much less impressive backdrop or beach.

Four Seasons may find this to popular for families, so it may be a great investment for them and the property owners. But this announcement really doesn't have much impact for me, as I'd rather be on another island altogether if I'm not going to be in Honolulu proper. To me, had the FS found a property on Oahu's North Shore or in Honolulu proper, I'd have been far more excited.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 6:31 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Its location is mundane on a lagoon without any real surf...
That is a plus - not a minus - IMO. You can actually swim in that lagoon (swimming is a no-no at many "big surf" beaches in Hawaii). Robyn
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:42 am

Also it will now be possible to "two centre" on Oahu, ie waikiki for afew days at the Halekulani and then some at the FS. we will certainly be trying it- lagoon we can swim in with our boy also sounds good!
Old Aug 18, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: AC SE MM, too many others
Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
There are some lovely things about the Halekulani, primarily the location and the two ocean front restaurants. However, the rooms even though recently refreshed are not at Four Seasons standards, the spa is far too small, as is the gym. It will likely be worth it for my family to drive to the new Four Seasons to enjoy the service and amenities I know this property will have once open. I can't wait for it to open.
No question that Halekulani has its weaknesses. FS Oahu allows FS to position it as portal to FS multi island experience for visitors who have to fly int through HNL (and there are still those).
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by grumbler
No question that Halekulani has its weaknesses. FS Oahu allows FS to position it as portal to FS multi island experience for visitors who have to fly int through HNL (and there are still those).
I actually love Halekulani, La Mer is the best restaurant in the islands and great way to visit Waikiki. Still a FS on Oahu would be nice too.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by mktozd
I actually love Halekulani, La Mer is the best restaurant in the islands and great way to visit Waikiki. Still a FS on Oahu would be nice too.
La Mer is gorgeous, but we will certainly be making the Oahu duo of luxury stays with the four seasons and the halekulani. Both will be great. Twin it with a stay in wailea (3 centre holiday!) and you have perfection.

I will post any of the latest news photos on my blog as soon as they come in and will update here. CANT WAIT, we are such fans of hawaii (as you can see!)
Old Oct 26, 2014, 11:38 am
Original Member

That lagoon is looking plenty good to me. Will be interested in monitoring this new FS project.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.