Mandarin Oriental Manila Closing--Very Poor Notice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd

The Mandarin Oriental Manila will be closing on September 9.

I understand they only announced this early June, which seems like exceptionally short notice.

I had a reservation for October that I made many months ago. I was not notified of this until mid to late July. In the middle of July American Express tried to contact me, but before I had a chance to get back to them I get an email from Mandarin Oriental:

"Your reservation at Mandarin Oriental Manila has been cancelled. We thank you for informing us of your cancellation through mandarinoriental.com and hope to welcome you on future occasions to Mandarin Oriental Manila or perhaps to one of our sister hotels throughout the world. "

I was bewildered as to this as my trip is not that far off and I had not cancelled my reservation.

I then contact American Express (which has been great) and Mandarin Oriental and first get an email from Mandarin Oriental Manila saying "Unfortunately, the hotel will close down on 09 September and bookings made after said date have been cancelled.
AMEX has been informed of this and will get in touch with you regarding your reservation.
Copied in this e-mail is .... of AMEX Travel for further clarification.

Thank you for considering Mandarin Oriental for your stay, we apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to serving you in our new location on 2020. "

I cannot believe the poor service from Mandarin Oriental. How could they suddenly decide to close a hotel on three months notice and barely apologize to those who are sent form emails saying your reservation has been cancelled?

Unfortunately, comparable accommodations, and, particularly with similar benefits (Fine Hotels & Resorts) would be much more expensive at this point. Mandarin Oriental has done nothing to find me a comparable place, but has left it to American Express, which has been terrific. Still, this will either cost me considerably more money or I will get lesser accommodations.

I am shocked that Mandarin Oriental did this so suddenly, and with such a lack of care or concern, and did not reach out themselves to find me equal or better accommodations.

Definitely not luxury hotel service.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nevsky
announced this early June

I was not notified of this until mid to late July
wow, a delay of at least one month, if not even longer than that.

perhaps try talking to management-level at MO corporate headquarters?
(others have reported success with that for other luxury hotel companies.)
cant recall how other hotels/companies have handled permanent closures.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
MO owns 96.2% leasehold stake in hotel, set to expire in 2026 (so 11 years early)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 10, 2014 at 1:50 am
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:03 am

You are not missing much. This property is not in good shape and should not be considered "luxury" by any means, which is the reason why the Peninsula and Shangri-la are more expensive.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
+1

Poor form to be informed in such a manner , in any industry , & especially in the service / hospitality no less .
Very unlike MO .
Unlike many other cities , MO has not been on my the radar to even be considered for visiting , & not staying for sure .
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Shame on them. That's not how the Mandarin Oriental brand should work and they definitely shouldn't cut it so close.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.