Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanusa vs Four Seasons Jimbaran Bay vs W Retreat (Bali)

Old Aug 5, 14, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Hi,

My parents and their friends (total 4 couples) aged about 50-55 are planning to going to Bali for a vacation in September for 5 nights. I am entrusted with selecting and booking their accommodations for this vacation.

They would like to be in a villa setting with enough common area to hang out in private along with a pool.

The options that I have come up with so far include the 3 properties mentioned in the title namely:
  1. 4 bedroom villa at Four Seasons Jimbaran Bay
  2. Four Bedroom Villa at Amanusa
  3. 2 X 2 bedroom WOW villas at W Retreat Seminyak

They want to be as close to the beach as possible and also be in the vicinity of areas with restaurants and nightlife where they can head to.

I was leaning towards the Four Seasons so far over the W for the simple fact that a 4 bedroom villa there accorded more space and privacy. However, I just remembered that there are Amans in Bali and that might be a good option. On looking at the 3 Aman properties I figured that Amanusa might be most suitable of the Amans for them. Now I am confused over which to book for them.

I have always received excellent suggestions here on FT and hence I am here for you guys to please help me out.

What would be the best option amongst these 3 properties?
Old Aug 5, 14, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

+ legian 3BR beachfront villa (also club = ten 1BR villas + one 3BR villa)
amanusa - could see about getting upgrade to / discount on largest villa(s)

more isolated >
alila soori has two types of large beachfront villas
amankila 2BR plus two 1BR may get inclusions/discount

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 5, 14 at 3:22 pm
Old Aug 5, 14, 2:33 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
I'd discount W right away based on age group..... the brand new villas at Bulgari Bali are well designed from the images I have seen. Not sure where they are located within the rest of the resort, but the hotel over hangs a clift so not as beachfront as FS Bali. FS ex-GM made this video about 4 years ago on the residence. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbRogLaRbNA
Old Aug 5, 14, 2:51 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by avneeshj View Post
Hi,

My parents and their friends (total 4 couples) aged about 50-55 are planning to going to Bali for a vacation in September for 5 nights. I am entrusted with selecting and booking their accommodations for this vacation.

They would like to be in a villa setting with enough common area to hang out in private along with a pool.

The options that I have come up with so far include the 3 properties mentioned in the title namely:
  1. 4 bedroom villa at Four Seasons Jimbaran Bay
  2. Four Bedroom Villa at Amanusa
  3. 2 X 2 bedroom WOW villas at W Retreat Seminyak

They want to be as close to the beach as possible and also be in the vicinity of areas with restaurants and nightlife where they can head to.

I was leaning towards the Four Seasons so far over the W for the simple fact that a 4 bedroom villa there accorded more space and privacy. However, I just remembered that there are Amans in Bali and that might be a good option. On looking at the 3 Aman properties I figured that Amanusa might be most suitable of the Amans for them. Now I am confused over which to book for them.

I have always received excellent suggestions here on FT and hence I am here for you guys to please help me out.

What would be the best option amongst these 3 properties?
If easy beach access is a priority, I would discount Amanusa (beach requires a 3 minute car/buggy ride). OTOH, if golf is desirable, Amanusa is right on a golf course. I would concur that the W may not be the right vibe for the age group.
Old Aug 5, 14, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FS jimbaran resort map > http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16997946-post18.html
some here did 2BR oceanfront/royal (plus) for view and no road
seems like 2BR oceanfront are 200 and 204, adjacent to 201-206
seems like 2BR royal are 214 (adjacent to 215/216) and 100 (adjacent to 101/102)
beach in front of residences now includes FS kids club and http://sundarabali.com/ - open to public >
speaking of w, on sundara site - "Every Saturday..August..12pm to 5pm..DJ..spinning..beats poolside"
as well as - "Each Friday evening..July..August...Jazz lovers...performances start..5pm and end at 8pm"

Originally Posted by ridefar View Post
Amanusa (beach requires a 3 minute car/buggy ride...Amanusa is right on a golf course
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=U...=16&via=2&z=16
B is amanusa. A is amanusa villas. large property is mulia.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 5, 14 at 9:24 pm
Old Aug 5, 14, 3:51 pm

Of the hotels you list i think the FS at Jimbaran would suit your parents - direct access to the beach and local restaurants within an easy walk along the beach but I propose Villa Batu Jimbar right on Sanur Beach which i think would be perfect for them - http://www.villabatujimbar.com/ - It has 5 bedroom suites in the compound so would have more than enough accommodation space facilities etc and has lots of local restaurants very close by as well as its own chef I think.

Here's the history of the villa -
Inspired by the nineteenth century palaces at Klungkung and Amlapura
Immersed in a rich history and set on spacious grounds surrounded by outstanding Balinese paintings, stone carvings and wall murals, Villa Batujimbar is a historic inspiration. The estate was the realization of a dream by Donald Friend, considered one of Australiaís most important artists. Friend resided in Sanur for much of the 1960s and 1970s. Villa Batujimbar is a testimony to Friendís strong interest in traditional Balinese architecture and its reinterpretation.
Sri Lankan Geoffrey Bawa, an internationally recognized prolific and influential architect helped bring Friendís vision to life. The overall concept was inspired by the nineteenth century palaces at Klungkung and Amlapura. In 1975, Bawa designed various additions to the house, including a large museum building to house Friendís collection of Balinese artworks and artifacts as well as Friendís own paintings. Made of Majapahit red brick and rectangular in shape, the museum is set formally in the center of the compound with a moat around it and a long pool in the front.
Following Friendís departure from Bali, Adrian Zecha, the founder of the Aman resorts became the estateís owner. Subsequently, Zechaís in house designer, Ed Tuttle (designer of many award winning hotels) was called in to refurbish the estate. Tuttleís renovation gave the estate a new organized look emphasizing clean lines and space. The next owner faithfully restored the estate to capture lifestyle opulence with the addition of a tennis court, gym and an impressive collection of art for the museum. Now for the first time Villa Batujimbar has opened its magic for special experiences.
The estate is spread over 1 hectare of landscaped gardens and ponds and made up of a number of separate buildings following the design of Balinese compounds with the kitchen in the south, the temple in the north-east, and the main house in the west. With wonderful indoor-outdoor relationships, orienting its various structures to catch views and breezes, and using traditional materials such as alang-alang thatching, bamboo, brick and paras stone, Villa Batujimbar creates its own magical ambience.
Villa Batujimbar has hosted many celebrities Ė Mick Jagger and Jerry Hall consumated their marriage vows, Yoko Ono entertained, Fergie disappeared, Stingís impromptu concert, Dewi Sukarno TV interviews are but some who came under the influence of the estateís magic. From the King of Malaysia to the Crown Prince of Thailand, Villa Batujimbar has also hosted international nobility.
Old Aug 5, 14, 4:37 pm

Villa Batujimbar gets my vote, history, great architecture, and near a great hotel, Tandjung Sari
Old Aug 5, 14, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
is C amanusa beach club? B is amanusa. A might be amanusa villas?
im presuming buggy route is more direct than depicted road route?
the large neighboring property depicted on map is the new mulia.
Google maps link was a little wonky for me, but... I *think* you have the beach club in the right location, but could also be on the south side of that big resort. Amanusa itself is up the short trunk road you have marked--meaning proceeding west from the Golf Club, take the right after 1 km or so, don't keep going straight up the road all the way. I am sure of that because many of Amanusa's rooms sit adjacent to a golf fairway. Not sure where the residences are relative to the rest of the resort--that could be them at the end of the road, but we didn't go there; maybe somebody else can confirm?
Old Aug 5, 14, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks! its weird, links are working differently between browsers
seems bing links work in different browers but google links do not

10 villas - http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=-8....ia&form=LMLTCC
http://www.frvtravel.com/2013/if-big...-made-for-you/
"10..villas in a pocket of natural foliage..bordering a small valley"

amanusa http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=-8....ia&form=LMLTCC

beach club http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=-8....ia&form=LMLTCC
north to south - aman club > something > st regis

thanks FlyerEC, deathscar, ridefar.

there have been a couple extremely positive reports for amanusa
(although i dont recall when most recent of those were posted here)
location is for quality of beach, less isolated, as well as near airport
few comparables for big villas - soori, non-beach shambhala, bvlgari?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 8, 14 at 6:06 pm
Old Aug 5, 14, 5:39 pm

Those maps don't really sell Amanusa - what is that awful building site right next to the hotel and what is that by the beach is there another hotel there now?
Old Aug 5, 14, 8:57 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
Originally Posted by quitecontrary View Post
Those maps don't really sell Amanusa - what is that awful building site right next to the hotel and what is that by the beach is there another hotel there now?
Discount the maps. Amanusa is spectacular. Those villas, in particular, are very impressive and some of the best I've seen. The beach club is fantastic, but yes, it does require a short 3 minute ride.

Brief trip report here from my trip just earlier last month: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...las-soori.html

If beachfront is a priority, you may opt for FS Jimbaran. We also walked past the St Regis Bali, which is just next to Amanusa's beach club, but weren't impressed.
Old Aug 5, 14, 9:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
FS jimbaran resort map > http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16997946-post18.html
some here did 2BR oceanfront/royal (plus) for view and no road
seems like 2BR oceanfront are 200 and 204, adjacent to 201-206
seems like 2BR royal are 214 (adjacent to 215/216) and 100 (adjacent to 101/102)
as well as - "Each Friday evening..July..August...Jazz lovers...performances start..5pm and end at 8pm"

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=U...=16&via=2&z=16
is C amanusa beach club? B is amanusa. A might be amanusa villas?
im presuming buggy route is more direct than depicted road route?
the large neighboring property depicted on map is the new mulia.
Originally Posted by zigzag View Post
Villa Batujimbar gets my vote, history, great architecture, and near a great hotel, Tandjung Sari
If easy beach access is a priority, I would discount Amanusa (beach requires a 3 minute car/buggy ride). OTOH, if golf is desirable, Amanusa is right on a golf course. I would concur that the W may not be the right vibe for the age group.
A & B are correct . The Nusa beach club is ' north ' of C where you see the lounges set further apart from one another in front of the construction area with some foliage separating them .
The short buggy ride from Amanusa between pavilions , villas & the beach is about the same , is fine - good for checking out what is around . The Nusa villas will be very nice for groups but the ones I saw do not have a sea view .
The beach here is better than Sanur where Villa Batujimbar & Tanjong Sari are .

If being in separate villas is ok , Kila will be nice with their own black sand beach & numerous pools including the villa ones . Nusa has the ' advantage ' of being in a more touristy area if one fancies night life .

FS JB is ok but I didn ' t care for it , not sure about their beach & proximity to the airport .
Though I do enjoy watching planes coming in for landing / take offs .
This is FT after all
Old Aug 6, 14, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by avneeshj View Post
Hi,

?

These are the things that are important to me too and I think that the FS fits that criteria well - yes the airport is at the other end of Jimbaran but we stayed at the IC which is closer to the airport than the FS is and the only problem we had was when I think the Australian Prime was on the island when we heard a few big helicopters over by the airport - the planes I think generally land and take off from the sea. Villa Batujimbar would also fit that bill as there is lots of local life on Sanur beach - it is a lot busier than Jimbaran but of course they would have the villa grounds to retreat to!
Old Aug 6, 14, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC View Post
If being in separate villas is ok , Kila will be nice with their own black sand beach & numerous pools including the villa ones . Nusa has the ' advantage ' of being in a more touristy area if one fancies night life .
If separate villas is a possibility, the St Regis should probably also be a consideration. Villas are right on the beach, and lots of people really like it. I know it is contrary to the Aman preferences here, and I found it a bit soul-less in that it didn't really feel Balinese at all to me, but lots of people really really like it. Depending on the OP's parents' taste, it might be worthwhile. The Strand Residence is pretty impressive at 1000 sq m, and the location is good.
Old Aug 6, 14, 8:56 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
If separate villas is a possibility, the St Regis should probably also be a consideration. Villas are right on the beach, and lots of people really like it. I know it is contrary to the Aman preferences here, and I found it a bit soul-less in that it didn't really feel Balinese at all to me, but lots of people really really like it. Depending on the OP's parents' taste, it might be worthwhile. The Strand Residence is pretty impressive at 1000 sq m, and the location is good.
Exactly how I felt about the St Regis! It was full of families though, and seemed to be at full or near full occupancy when we walked past their beach a few times.

I didn't like the lack of privacy in the beach villas though - they're beachfront, but with the crowded beach club, you're inviting everyone to see in. Also, I'm assuming that's their main pool? It's not really that impressive, and seems a bit (or extremely) small for the size of the resort.

As I mentioned, my friend liked it though, and said he would definitely pay to stay there, especially at the lower price point.

Search this Thread