Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort (Napa Valley, CA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort (Napa Valley, CA)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 1:54 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
california state regulations

wma.org/post/pool-signage-requirements
publichealth.lacounty.gov/eh/EP/rw/rw_safetysigns.htm
It's Calistoga's unusual arrangement with trailers that creates the surprising need to conform this odd part of the code. Hilarious.
Old May 4, 2019, 2:16 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Having an otherwise lovely stay here...but marred by some serious letdowns with F&B and concomitant poor management.

Yesterday, we had a pretty subpar breakfast meal and service. (But that was nothing compared to the horrendous service we had at the previous night’s dinner at Solbar at the Solage. Wow.) Missed details, delayed orders, lukewarm servings, and no service recovery. We let it go and assumed it was a one time thing.

Wrong.

Last night, on mentioning the terrible dinner at Solbar to a guest relations member, I also mentioned the poor breakfast. She was very apologetic and asked for more details—and we gave them. So we hoped for better this morning.

Nope.

Today, after I sent back a cool/barely lukewarm eggs Benedict and not warm Hollandaise sauce, the chef personally delivered a new eggs Benedict—with actually raw eggs. It was disgusting. I left. In my absence, the restaurant team ultimately presented our friends with a bill that still had charges for our meal, including my eggs Benedict. Wow. They eventually comp’d breakfast for us all only after my husband spoke to the GM. Really?

In the meantime, my husband had finally spoken to the GM, who acknowledged problems and disappointment with her team. Nothing more than platitudes if you ask me. My husband and I still haven’t heard more than that they ultimately comp’d breakfast. No kidding.

Ultimately, my husband and I had to go into St. Helena for breakfast to a restaurant recommended by the lovely CR concierge. You might have expected Calistoga Ranch to have called ahead to take care of that bill...but nope. I finally finished breakfast at 12:15 pm or so.

Calistoga Ranch screwed the pooch here. And then some.

To say that the Calistoga Ranch F&B and management is troubling and/or inadequate would be an understatement. For this price point, it’s darn close to negligence. I’ve never before had to actually leave a property to get a decent breakfast.

Last edited by bhrubin; May 4, 2019 at 2:41 pm
Old May 4, 2019, 4:42 pm
Original Member

Your F&B experience mirrors mine of 2015. Has the furniture been replaced recently? It was dreadfully clunky and oversized for the living room when we were there. Concierge was unhelpful during our stay. For the money, very poor showing.

At least they let you bring the pooch.
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KatW
Your F&B experience mirrors mine of 2015. Has the furniture been replaced recently? It was dreadfully clunky and oversized for the living room when we were there. Concierge was unhelpful during our stay. For the money, very poor showing.

At least they let you bring the pooch.
Photos forthcoming when we return next week. Some refurbishments have begun, apparently. I think the furnishings and most (but not all) appointments are pretty nice, actually. I do think they should have more closet space—it’s pitiful now. I also think the bedroom units are a bit on the small side. I’m not a huge fan of the density of the lodgings, but I overall like the ambience of the property. Concierge for us dropped the ball before our stay with dining reservations and winery visits but has been helpful immediately before and during our stay.

FOLLOW UP: After not hearing from anyone after a few hrs since my breakfast/lunch, I spoke with the Assistant GM. I said I thought they should comp a night for the poor F&B, the pitiful service, and the overall lack of any interest in service recovery throughout. I told him the management response up to now has been pretty disappointing. I told him to follow up with my husband, since he was the one paying and so I wouldn’t get any more irate. In the end, he stopped by the pool an hr or so later to see my husband: they are comp’ing us one night, comp’ing our breakfasts yesterday and this morning (duh), comp’ing the pet fee, and arranging transportation for me and 2 friends to another brunch location tomorrow. (They tried for Auberge du Soleil but it was fully booked; I checked.) I do wonder what they would’ve done had I not followed up this afternoon. I also learned that they are extending 2 pm checkout to us and our friends—a nice gesture I hadn’t requested since my husband and dog are departing early tomorrow.
Old May 4, 2019, 5:25 pm
Original Member

Yes, the bedrooms are small for housing a king-size bed. I loved the leafy environs and all the natural wood, as well as the outdoor spaces afforded by our two-bedroom villa. We stayed in the month of March when it was very rainy but it's a great venue yo enjoy in the rain. The spa is pretty special. Does your husband like it?
Old May 4, 2019, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KatW
Yes, the bedrooms are small for housing a king-size bed. I loved the leafy environs and all the natural wood, as well as the outdoor spaces afforded by our two-bedroom villa. We stayed in the month if March when it was very rainy but it's a great venue yo rnjoy in the rain. The spa is pretty special. Does your husband like it?
No chance for spa this trip. But he does like it too, overall. For the original price point, however, we were feeling quite letdown by the F&B. And concierge pre-arrival.

But it still pales in comparison to the total disaster that was our Thurs night dinner at Solbar at Solage. Worst dinner we’ve had in Napa in memory. Perhaps ever. Easily the past decade.
Old May 4, 2019, 7:15 pm
Original Member

Napa, in general, is being ruined by chic success.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin

Today, after I sent back a cool/barely lukewarm eggs Benedict and not warm Hollandaise sauce, the chef personally delivered a new eggs Benedict—with actually raw eggs. It was disgusting. I left. In my absence, the restaurant team ultimately presented our friends with a bill that still had charges for our meal, including my eggs Benedict. Wow. They eventually comp’d breakfast for us all only after my husband spoke to the GM. Really?

In the meantime, my husband had finally spoken to the GM, who acknowledged problems and disappointment with her team. Nothing more than platitudes if you ask me. My husband and I still haven’t heard more than that they ultimately comp’d breakfast. No kidding.

Ultimately, my husband and I had to go into St. Helena for breakfast to a restaurant recommended by the lovely CR concierge. You might have expected Calistoga Ranch to have called ahead to take care of that bill...but nope. I finally finished breakfast at 12:15 pm or so.

Calistoga Ranch screwed the pooch here. And then some.

To say that the Calistoga Ranch F&B and management is troubling and/or inadequate would be an understatement. For this price point, it’s darn close to negligence. I’ve never before had to actually leave a property to get a decent breakfast.
Laughingly bad. Disgusting about the chef and the Eggs Benedict.
bhrubin and dgreen12 like this.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Beautiful property with glaring restaurant & service recovery issues

Calistoga Ranch

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Calistoga Ranch

580 Lommel Rd Calistoga, CA 94515

Beautiful property with glaring restaurant & service recovery issues (50 Photos)

Calistoga Ranch

My husband and I celebrated our 9th wedding anniversary with our 115 lb Rhodesian Ridgeback, Macallan, by driving up the California Coast for almost 2 weeks. To conclude that trip, we had a 3 night stay at Calistoga Ranch. 

(We previously had 5 nights at the RC Bacara Santa Barbara, 2 nights at Ventana Big Sur, and 2 nights at RC Half Moon Bay. I stayed up north alone with 2 more nights at the St Regis San Francisco, as well.)

For the past several years, we'd enjoyed staying at Bardessono in Yountville, particularly enjoying its walking distance from so many amazing restaurants. For this trip, we decided to try something different and settled on Calistoga Ranch because it's both dog friendly and a luxury Auberge property. My husband had stayed many years ago with his family and had very much enjoyed the stay, as well. 

Calistoga Ranch truly is a beautiful property. It was far more impressive than I expected, actually. My biggest issue with that is its density, though it turned out not to be as much a factor in our stay as I imagined it would be on arrival.

1_20190503_140430.jpg

Reception:

20190503_100207.jpg

They'll let anyone park here.

20190502_181730.jpg

20190503_100224.jpg

20190502_181018.jpg

The gym was open to the outdoors. I wouldn't like that.

20190502_180916.jpg

20190502_180930.jpg

20190502_180958.jpg

1_20190504_122021.jpg

20190502_181143.jpg

20190502_181306.jpg

20190502_181320.jpg

20190502_181339.jpg

From reception, only golf carts were allowed into the rest of the property. The density of lodges was higher than I expected, but it turned out to be less of an issue than I thought it might.

20190502_180102.jpg

20190502_175819.jpg

20190502_175945.jpg

20190502_175642.jpg

Entrance to the resort wine cave:

20190503_083846.jpg

The infamous Lakehouse Restaurant (where it all went wrong for me):

20190503_083814.jpg

20190503_083900.jpg

20190503_083912.jpg

20190503_092404.jpg

Indoor seating:

20190503_092343.jpg

Bar (which closed way too early at 10 pm):

20190503_092332.jpg

Spectacular outdoor seating with a view:

20190503_084233.jpg

Check In

Check in was easy and quick. A very friendly team greeted us and a bellman drove us up to our lodge in one golf cart while another bellman drove our luggage up in a second cart.

Room

I was very impressed with the size of our Bay Forest Spa Lodge. Also, I realized that we had booked only a regular Bay Forest Lodge but had been upgraded to a Spa Lodge. That either had gone unmentioned or unnoticed by my husband at check-in. Who can say? Husbands...

20190502_155213.jpg

20190502_155205.jpg

The lovely spa...that we never used. Sigh...

20190502_155250.jpg

The bedroom unit was a bit small for my taste, but it was nice to have the separation from the living room lodge. Storage and closet space were my biggest issues. 

20190502_155322.jpg

20190502_154702.jpg

20190502_154806.jpg

20190502_154746.jpg

20190502_154815.jpg

20190502_154835.jpg

20190502_154932.jpg

20190502_154947.jpg

20190502_154921.jpg

20190502_154956.jpg

20190502_155012.jpg

The outdoor shower looked nice, but the mosquitoes clearly had been advised by @MacMyDay to take their vengeance on me for not marrying him. So we never used it.

1_20190502_155020.jpg

The living room lodge was far more spacious and comfortable. 

20190502_182704.jpg

20190502_155405.jpg

20190502_155537.jpg

20190502_155713.jpg

20190502_155707.jpg

Awaiting us might have been the most generous welcome amenity I've ever seen. Anywhere.

20190502_155517.jpg

20190502_155649.jpg

20190502_155657.jpg

20190502_155726.jpg

The density of lodges made me worry we would hear people talking outside or vehicles whizzing by, but I never did. Sound insulation and design were done to a high standard that made that a non-issue.

20190502_175435.jpg

We had thought that not having a view might be an issue, but it turned out to be a non-issuel, as well. Our elevated position above the road made it feel very private. The Oak Creek Lodges had a road across from them that could leave them a bit exposed, though on average they were much more private than the Bay Forest Lodges. I certainly recommend choosing your lodge carefully so as to not get one that is more exposed.

Service

Service outside the Lakehouse Restaurant was very good, but there were some misses. And some very big fails. 

After booking, I had emailed the concierge to try and arrange some winery visits and a priority reservation for us at Meadowood. Crickets. I never got any response. Fortunately, I was able to book our Meadowood dinner, Auberge du Soleil lunch, and a visit to Dana Estate winery on my own. I later booked our dinners at Solbar and Acacia House.

About 2 weeks before our stay, I reached out again to see if the concierge could put together other winery visits for us and for our friends joining us at the Ranch. To this, I finally got a pretty prompt response. A week later, they sent me a preliminary itinerary for visits. I was pleased. 

Service after our arrival was wonderful. The staff couldn't have been more welcoming, friendly, and engaging. Registration, bellmen, valets, pool attendants, everyone was just great. 

I particularly loved the concierge--she's all class. I wasn't sure who dropped the ball on my initial concierge requests, but she was clearly the one who handled all the arranged details since. 

Then it all went bad. 

We went to the Lakehouse restaurant for breakfast our first morning. Service was very slow. I asked for sweetener for my mocha which never came. After 10 min and my mocha not getting warmer, I reminded the server, who pretended it was coming right up--as if he hadn't forgotten. By the time I got it, my mocha was a barely lukewarm. My waffle was also served barely lukewarm, but we had to get off to our Dana Estate winery visit. So I let it go and didn't complain.

I ended up sharing the breakfast details with another staff member while discussing a horrible dinner at Solbar the night before at their sister Solage resort nearby.

So I wasn't surprised when everyone seemed more attentive on our second morning's breakfast at the Lakehouse. But my Eggs Benedict was served barely lukewarm, almost cool, with cold Hollandaise. So I sent it back. Just 10 minutes later the chef personally delivered a new eggs Benedict with an apology—and with actually raw eggs. It was disgusting. So I left.

In my absence, the restaurant team ultimately presented our friends with a bill that still had charges for our meal, including my eggs Benedict. Wow. They eventually comp’d breakfast for us all only after my husband spoke to the GM on the phone. Really? I was apoplectic. I declared I would not return to that restaurant. Ever.

In the meantime, my husband had finally left and spoken on the phone with the GM, who acknowledged problems and disappointment with her team. Nothing more than platitudes if you ask me. My husband wasn't impresed, either. 

Ultimately, my husband and I had to go into St. Helena for breakfast to a restaurant recommended by the lovely concierge. You might have expected Calistoga Ranch to have called ahead to take care of that bill...but nope. Yet another rmissed serviced opportunity. Fail. 

I finally finished breakfast at 12:15 pm or so. This being the day we had an afternoon winery visit and a 6 pm dinner at Meadowood, I was pretty livid at CR for basically screwing up my day. 

The staff supposedly had already canceled our morning winery appointment the night before after we'd made that request--nice service. But then we learned after our breakfast fiasco that they inadvertently had canceled BOTH our winery appointments. I was pissed.

After all that transpired, however, we decided to just stick with relaxation at the resort. 

Ultimately, my husband heard nothing more. I don't think the resort wouldn't have done anything else but comp the breakfast had I not called and spoken with the Assistant GM. I shared my opinion that they should comp a night for the poor F&B, the pitiful service, and the overall lack of any service recovery throughout. If they want to charge rates of $1000 and up, they need to deliver--and they didn't come close. That they didn't even comp our breakfast in town was laughably poor service, I told him. I asked him to follow up with my husband, since he was the one paying and so I wouldn’t get any more irate.

In the end, the Asst GM stopped by the pool an hr or so later to tell my husband that they would comp us one night, comp our breakfasts yesterday and that morning (duh), comp the pet fee, and arrange transportation for me and our 2 friends to another brunch location tomorrow. (They tried for Auberge du Soleil but it was fully booked; I did check!) They also let us use their Mercedes SUV on promotion to drive to Meadowood for dinner. 

My husband and I felt that was appropriate...but I wonder what they would’ve done had I not followed up. They also extended us and our friends 2 pm checkout—a nice gesture I hadn’t requested since my husband and Macallan were departing early the next day. But a nice gesture regardless. They ended up letting me borrow the Mercedes SUV to brunch the final morning with my friends. 

Ultimately, I am not confident that the resort would have offered the service recovery without my suggesting it. I also am not sure they know what a debacle they have with the Lakehouse restaurant. My other friend's husband had breakfast there the final morning and said it wasn't great again. 

In the end, service was a very mixed bag. I think the team is excellent everywhere but the restaurant. But the team falls to pieces and is a bit of a deer in the headlights when things go awry. And the Lakehouse team needs to be spanked and revamped--stat.

I now understand why we never see the Lakehouse ever mentioned among the better restaurants in the Napa Valley, unlike Solbar at Solage (which also disappointed us) and the Restaurant at Auberge du Soleil (which is a staple lunch visit for us whenever in Napa Valley and again was a fantastic lunch). 

Dining

I think I fully addressed dining in the Service section. It sucks. 

The location and setting are wonderful! It was quite easy to get around the north side of Napa Valley, and it was amazing to feel so secluded at the same time. 

Overall

We really thought Calistoga Ranch was beautiful, and we loved our lodge--despite the lack of closet and storage space in the bedroom unit. 

But the Lakehouse restaurant debacle gives us and should give anyone else serious pause. The initial management response and lack of reasonable service recovery is also troubling. That they ultimatelty came through is a positive, but I can't say I am certain they would take care of us again should we encounter such poor service or F&B. At these rates, that's not a good sign.

Until the management fixes the Lakehouse F&B, I won't even consider a return. 

Beautiful property with glaring restaurant & service recovery issues

Would you like to write a review on the Calistoga Ranch?

No, thank you.
Yes
LM225 and offerendum like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 6:57 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Yikes.

A mucked-up dish is one thing, but to have the replacement delivered personally by the chef and be worse than the first is really something.

Property looks lovely though.

Is Auberge du Soleil the best alternative in the area?
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 8:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LM225
Yikes.

A mucked-up dish is one thing, but to have the replacement delivered personally by the chef and be worse than the first is really something.

Property looks lovely though.

Is Auberge du Soleil the best alternative in the area?
I’d say Auberge du Soleil is the class of Napa Valley, but it’s also the most formal. And Napa shouldn’t be so formal IMO.
LM225 likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by LM225
A mucked-up dish is one thing, but to have the replacement delivered personally by the chef and be worse than the first is really something
Perhaps he did his best😉
LM225 and bhrubin like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:46 pm
Original Member

Calistoga Ranch is offering some attractive discounts. I’m booked up for the nonce bur otherwise would consider a stay. Our earlier stay in 2014 suffered some issues which would have been less notable had the rates then been kess exorbitant.

https://aubergeresorts.com/calistogaranch/special-offers/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.