Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short trip report: Amandari + Amanusa, + site visit to Alila Villas Soori

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:43 am
formerly known as deathscar
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more

Disclaimer: Hosted for media review. However, under no obligation to write a report on FT. Thoughts are my own.

Was in Bali for a few nights doing a couple of the Amans. Was originally supposed to stay at Amankila, but as it has been privately booked out for the dates I was supposed to go there, had to make do for Amanusa instead. In a way, I'm glad it happened because I would probably have swerved Amanusa for any future trips had it not been for this one - I wasn't all that keen on it. Turns out it's absolutely brilliant. I will still end up at Kila at one point, so all's well. We started off with Ubud then went to Nusa Dua. Also managed to get in a site visit to Alila Villas Soori (again, was supposed to visit their Uluwatu resort, but it had been privately booked).

The best conclusion I can provide is that this was my friend's first Aman stay, and was curious how/why they charge so much. Comments following the trip: "Thanks a lot. All my trips are now ruined. I cannot imagine staying anywhere other than at an Aman now. I'd rather stay 1 night at an Aman than 5 or 10 nights anywhere else for the same overall price". Ended up buying half the stuff at the Aman store for souvenirs...safe to say a return is imminent!

Amandari + Amanusa.

Positives:

AmandariLove the village-like, jungle vibe. It was my 4th trip to Bali, but I had never stayed in Ubud before (but always visited). The location is right at the edge of the valley where the Ayung river cuts through (within walking distance down from Amandari). Very verdant. I hear a Ritz Carlton is currently under construction across the valley on the other side (but I also hear they are having issues?). There was some construction noise during the day at times, but other days it was quiet and all you could hear were the animals.

I do lament the 'loss' of Ubud though, regardless of how unique and brilliant the stay itself was, I do feel it has been ruined somewhat (Polo Ralph Lauren and Pandora boutiques?). However, all these tourists has also resulted in some great food openings. Check out Ibu Oka Babi Guling just around the corner from the main market street.

Amanusa: As far as location itself, it's certainly very far from an authentic Bali as is possible. However, I can see how this would be a great place to finish off your Bali trip for 2-3 nights, by just sitting in. Nearby, there are a couple of temples (and it's best to explore West Bali from here), but not much culturally beyond that. There's a decent golf course that surrounds the resort (but I can't comment much on it - I'm no golfer); the view is decent, ruined only by a couple of taller structures towards the beach. However, now that the Mulia's construction is finished, it's a very, very peaceful space.

Rooms:
AmandariWe were in a pool suite. I personally loved it, save for the fact that it was a little dark especially if it was overcast. I felt the rooms were rather warm and welcoming, especially with the tones, colours and the bedroom being so open and spacious. My friend felt they were rather cold (he thought the whole resort was rather cold...interesting). The outdoor deck area is one of the favourite private pool areas I've had the pleasure of experiencing (we both agreed on this)! Couple of sun loungers, a large bale with a table (great for breakfast) and a very large infinity-edge pool with a cliffhanger of a drop!

Amanusa: In a deluxe suite, we didn't have a private pool but we honestly didn't need it (see below). I preferred the more open bedroom at Amandari, but I liked the bathroom at Amanusa which had an indoor bathtub but open shower (opposite of Amandari - I wanted to take a bath in the evening but was afraid of the insects/bugs!)

Pool suite at Amanusa which we got a tour of:

The 3-bedroom Amandari villa is nice, especially with the tiered pool, but the privately owned villas at Amanusa are stunning.

Service: We both agreed service at both resorts was outstanding, and some of the very best we've ever experienced - a true welcome to Aman (having stayed at Amanfayun before, service was excellent but there were a couple of issues). Starting with the pick up inside the airport before immigration, thus easing our access (and finishing nearly similarly), to everything in between. Thoughtfully providing small packaged snacks for us to take on any excursions, always providing cool drinks similarly on any trip, to quickly setting up our daybed while we were swimming and leaving a couple of glasses of cold water (along with a jug), a bowl of fruits while neatly hanging our clothes which we'd messily left on the daybed. There are so many examples to quote! Service was nearly flawless - we were only asked our room number once, and even then that was as a clarification.

Common areas/architecture/design: The lobby at Amanusa is stunning - grand yet elegant. Love the Ramayana carved out in stone at the end. Dari's is much smaller, but more intimate, with a replica of the tiger statue that is native to Ubud. Loved the design and architecture at both resorts, for different reasons. Amanusa looks/feels like a fortress, but as mentioned, never a 'daunting' one - just grand. Dari is very intimate.

The pool, particularly at Amanusa, is breathtaking. It's extremely large, but you never feel daunted, and it's not grossly large or crass, but rather somehow quite elegant. Amandari's pool area is much smaller, but the curved infinity-edge pool (influenced by rice terraces, and coloured similarly) is equally impressive and as beautiful, especially come dusk.

Food: At both resorts, we opted for local or regional (e.g. Thai) fare for our main dinners (didn't eat at the Italian restaurant at Amanusa). Absolutely excellent at both. Much like at Amanfayun, it's simple, hearty cuisine with a 'homemade' touch to it. The breakfast at both resorts was also excellent. I did feel that the portions (for lunch/dinner, not for breakfast) at both places were slightly too large though - we ended up sharing a few dishes rather than ordering individual courses.

Beach club at Amanusa: A short buggy ride away, this is one of the best beach clubs I've been to. The large daybeds in a bale are fantastic - extremely private surrounded by trees but with a clear view of the beach and ocean - but my favourite part here is the service and thoughtfulness of keeping everything ready (water, sun lotion, refreshments, towels and the pail of water to wash sand off the feet). Good wifi connection even at the beach club, and excellent service. We even had lunch here once - love being able to order almost anything off the menu. They have a mini-kitchen in the back apparently. There are rinsing showers near the bales, as well as a larger tap to rinse your feet before you leave.

Points to note:

Spa: The massage at both resorts was extremely good. However, I feel like the environment just wasn't 'right'. Amandari's room was extremely bare. Amanusa's spa suite is nice looking...if it were in another resort. I'm not sure just converting a regular suite translates to a spa and really works? I didn't have a big problem with it (especially as many opt for a spa in room/villa anyway), but just found it a bit odd. I was expecting something different. In terms of environment, Aman's spas were quite a let down...shame, as the actual massage was great.

However, the gym at Amanusa (another suite converted into a gym) was most certainly awkward, and barely worth a visit at all!

(Heated) Pools? (private and main): needs a heater, or something. Ubud is much cooler than most of the rest of Bali. The pool was far too cold to swim in, nevermind stand in (we thought swimming around would warm us up). We went in for a dip a couple of times but were out within minutes each time. Admittedly the first couple of nights we were there weather was a bit overcast (especially in Ubud), but the sun came out to play the third day and even then it didn't manage to heat up the pool. The pool at Amanusa was also cool, but refreshingly so.

Anyone else had this issue? Curious...

Alila Villas Soori brief site visit

There was a wedding soon to take place so quite a few changes from normal layout (and couldn't see any of the rooms as fully booked). However, the spa here looks stunning, if a little dark (but I don't mind that at all...very calming). Particularly intrigued by the black sand massage.

Other points:
- Great to have a private beach. The black sand takes a bit of getting used to, but it's very fine.

- From what I could see of the beach pool villas, not very private (anyone walking around could easily peek in). Decor looks extremely bare and not necessarily to my taste (after seeing Aman), but it's not bad either - felt it was a little sterile for my liking. My friend liked it more than I did.

- Common areas (main pool particularly) looks quite sad in comparison to Aman.

Didn't take any pics at Alila Villas Soori.

Any questions, feel free to ask away! I've probably missed something! Apologies if grammar is poor or I don't go into as much detail as possible sometimes - as I need to review these for media as well, don't want to end up repeating myself on different platforms so try to keep it brief and short and snappy on here (but still, evidently, long!)
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:18 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
The spa at Nusa should be ready by early next year , if the licences clear .
Similarly for Jiwo & Kila
Finally , proper spas !
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
The spa at Nusa should be ready by early next year , if the licences clear .
Similarly for Jiwo & Kila
Finally , proper spas !
I saw the plans for the Nusa spa 2 years ago. Seems as though Vlad wanted changes, but maybe now it will go ahead as is. Looked really good, including a small Japanese restaurant.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
So is the current spa set up just temporary? They didn't mention anything about that. Anyone have links to what they're going to be doing with it?
Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by deathscar
So is the current spa set up just temporary? They didn't mention anything about that. Anyone have links to what they're going to be doing with it?
Yes, the current spa set-up is decidedly temporary at Nusa. The proper spa will be more like Aman's destination spas, such as Amanpuri and Amanzo'e.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:31 pm

Do most of the Pool Suites at Amandari have an infinity edge pool? It seems the pools in some rooms are centered in the patio and without the views of the valley.

http://johnnyjet.wpengine.netdna-cdn...n-2012-013.jpg

Last edited by Five Star Traveller; Aug 7, 2014 at 10:55 pm
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:58 pm

Most Dari / Nusa pools are like what you see in the photo you posted . Should have views though , maybe of padi terraces / fields .
FYI , Kila suite pools are not infinity too but ' overflow ' .
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

fantastic photos and details!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ml#UR197658648
Amandari guests may want to avoid..villas with single digits as they look..into..construction..Ritz Carlton
#5 - you can see the Ritz Carlton Ubud from the main pool, but I don't recall seeing it from our pool suite. It's facing that area, but difficult to actually see (unless you maybe do something insane like stand on the edge?) As far as I remember, you couldn't even see it from the bale on the side.
starting dari room pool compilation >

Originally Posted by halibahs
According to our guest assistant Wayan, #14 is the most private as it looks out to the river gorge whilst #30 sports the biggest pool but is close to surrounding villages so noise and privacy can be an issue. We didn't have much noise problem as reported previously probably because we're facing away from the village.
"amandari villa" infinity
amanresorts.com/uploadedImages/Aman_image_library/amandari_images/dari_landscape_images_509/4_accomodation/Dari_VillaPool_509.jpg

"amandari suite" infinity
amanresorts.com/uploadedImages/Aman_image_library/amandari_images/dari_landscape_images_509/4_accomodation/Dari_AmandariSuitePool_509.jpg

#5 infinity deathscar photos in this thread

#14 infinity http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ml#UR203173615
people here who had it too - halibahs

#15 duplex infinity http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ml#UR187457907
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...-amandari.html
people here who had it too - Ericka, FlyingDoctorwu
zecha and wife's favorite (says architect muller in his journal/book)

one-level, next to ayung - infinity

---

amanresorts.com/uploadedImages/Aman_image_library/amandari_images/dari_large_square_images_236/4_accomodation/Dari_PoolSuiteTerrace_236.jpg
another pool suite not infinity?

amanresorts.com/uploadedImages/Aman_image_library/amandari_images/dari_landscape_images_509/4_accomodation/Dari_DupPoolSuite_509.jpg
another duplex pool suite not infinity
(and another like that but reversed?)

#19 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16681455-post13.html
pool suite duplex not infinity blueline7

"ayung suite" - not infinity (but view) Groombridge
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ml#UR178837466

"asmara suite" - not infinity (but view)
http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationP...Ubud_Bali.html
johnnyjet.com/2012/10/bali-honeymoon-amandari-in-ubud-indonesia/

besides infinity theres also pool size, noise, privacy

amanresorts.com/uploadedFiles/Aman/amandari/Amandari(2).pdf
page 2 has an aerial of some of the private pools (asmara?)

http://archnet.org/system/publicatio...pdf?1384778438
page 2 has original roof plan / partial resort map

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
resort map page 172 - definitely looks like very few pool
many websites saying 11 suites have pool (excl villa?)
zecha/aman acquired 50% for $600K (other 50% sold in 1990)
opened oct 22 1989

does anyone have resort map?

two next to pool?
four next to asmara?

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 23, 2016 at 10:40 am
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:29 am
Original Poster

deathscar, what room did you have?
Room #5 - you can see the Ritz Carlton Ubud from the main pool, but I don't recall seeing it from our pool suite:

It's facing that area, but difficult to actually see (unless you maybe do something insane like stand on the edge?) As far as I remember, you couldn't even see it from the bale on the side.

We were at #24 in Amanusa.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Five Star Traveller
Do most of the Pool Suites at Amandari have an infinity edge pool? It seems the pools in some rooms are centered in the patio and without the views of the valley.

http://johnnyjet.wpengine.netdna-cdn...n-2012-013.jpg
Edit: Incorrect info posted previously.

There are pool suites with single level and double levels. Single level pool suites have the infinity edge.

The Amandari villa has a two-tiered pool.

Last edited by chinmoylad; Aug 8, 2014 at 2:37 am
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:48 am

Edit: Incorrect info posted previously.

There are pool suites with single level and double levels. Single level pool suites have the infinity edge.
Our Dari single level suite pool was not infinity
Old Aug 8, 2014, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Our Dari single level suite pool was not infinity
Maybe I should amend that to "some* of the single level pool suites have the infinity edge."

*and some may not...

Was your terrace/pool considerably bigger than the above?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:08 am

Same size pool .
Generally , AMANIndo pools are same size , just may have different facings depending on the lie of the land , AZ is very sensitive to the environment .
Likewise for terrace / patio , they will configured according to elevation , shape of plot .
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:26 am

Thank you all, especially Kagehitokiri. The compilation of the various rooms and their pool types was very helpful.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 5:05 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum

Back from a short weekend trip to Soori out of Singapore. A few follow up comments to deathscar's site visit. My only frame of reference for Asian beach resorts is the FS Jimbaran Bay and Trisara. I'd put Soori above The Four Seasons but, unsurprisingly to many here, below Trisara by some margin. That said, the pricing was consistent with the latter ranking.

1. The main pool is, as the OP noted, rather uninspiring.
2. But, one really needs to get an ocean pool villa, which makes the main pool situation moot.
3. Loved the layout and decor of the villa. Not complete privacy if folks along the beach are determined to look but really excellent.
4. That's important because this place seems really isolated. Exactly what I was looking for but others should know that going in.
5. As ds noted, spa was great -- I did need to tell the masseuse to ease up and I really don't like when they massage the stomach.
6. Food was great but breakfast in the villa easily trumps the restaurant.
7. All the way around, prices are very reasonable.
8. Service was solid and of course in bali pleasant.

Since I'm rarely on this part of the world, too much to see to rush back. But it's a good option for folks who don't want to pay Aman prices but have a good visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.