Villa Feltrinelli (Lake Garda, Italy) hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Villa Feltrinelli (Lake Garda, Italy) hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
This VF reminds me somewhat of Post Ranch Inn—spectacularly beautiful location and property with little to do but gawk, eat, and concomitantly blow money, and definitely not worth it for us. At least the PRI accommodations impress. These do not.

Well summarised. We also drove up to LeFay for a show around, which made us like Villa Feltrinelli even more. I've no idea how LeFay is considered luxury, as it was anything but.

Originally Posted by bhrubin
P.S. Still waiting for your La Residence review.
Take Villa Feltrinelli review, add a hint of peacocks, remove any mention of helicopters, being overpriced and small room. Voila.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Well summarised. We also drove up to LeFay for a show around, which made us like Villa Feltrinelli even more. I've no idea how LeFay is considered luxury, as it was anything but.

Take Villa Feltrinelli review, add a hint of peacocks, remove any mention of helicopters, being overpriced and small room. Voila.
Loved the review MacMyDay and it made me want to go back for a 4th time. I agree with most of what you say. It is incredibly expensive but always feels special and worth it to me. I think the bigger suites and outbuildings do give you the wow factor - we love the terrace at La Limonaia.

Next time get them to take you out on one of their antique boats - the views of the Lake are stunning and they can drop you off at some great restaurants for lunch.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:34 pm
BLV

Great review.

Unless I missed it and you’ve mentioned it, but the opening of Pasolini’s infamous “Salo” takes place here as well. But that’s something I am SURE the hotel would not care to advertise

And speaking of movies, something I keep wanting to ask every time I see your photos - is Dorsia an hommage to “American Psycho”?
bhrubin and MacMyDay like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by BLV
And speaking of movies, something I keep wanting to ask every time I see your photos - is Dorsia an hommage to “American Psycho”?
10 points for you!
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by MacMyDay
Thanks for your report! I think about staying her st the moment bur your report let me not find more arguments to spend the "nice" amount of money. We will see....
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:50 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I’m curious how one would decide between Lake Garda and Lake Como. The latter seems to be overtaken by tourists, but I’ve never been and feel like I should go at least once in my life.

if I do visit lake Como, I’ll stay at Il Sereno
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by sophialite
I’m curious how one would decide between Lake Garda and Lake Como. The latter seems to be overtaken by tourists, but I’ve never been and feel like I should go at least once in my life.

if I do visit lake Como, I’ll stay at Il Sereno
Highly recommend you avoid Il Sereno. Here's my review of our stay in 2018.

Lake Garda really only has Villa Feltrinelli, as Lefay is an oversized abomination. For any of my complaints of Villa Feltrinelli, I would still pick it over anywhere on Lake Como - it's a better hotel and in a much more peaceful area.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:26 am

I remember reading that review a while ago, but forgot how negative it was. I will avoid, although Villa d'este seems a bit worn out and old to me, even if the service is still great. Wonder if there's anything else good in Lake Como, or if I should just wait for Villa d'este to complete a renovation?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by sophialite
Wonder if there's anything else good in Lake Como
Mandarin Oriental?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:04 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Echoing MacMyDay, I'd strongly suggest avoiding II Sereno. I had clients there days after MacMyDay's stay and it wasn't great...Chatting with the GM only made them more defensive.

Villa d'este is okay and indeed dated. I know Grand Hotel Tremezzo isn't Park Hotel Vitznau or anything but they have been okay/solid in my experience.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:06 am

Maybe if Rosewood acquires Villa D'Este, they can do a Crillon-scale renovation and make it a truly world class property.

In the meanwhile, I haven't heard anything detailed about the MO. Any good feedback?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:29 am

One of my blog readers (not sure if he's an FTer) actually said yesterday that he loved Villa Lario. He reads my blog, so I can only assume his taste is impeccable and we should believe him.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:31 am

Why would one chose Lake Como over Lake Garda? Or Lake Maggiore or Lake Orta? Why does anyone go? Well, my answer is for the general scenic beauty and the multitude of gardens, of which I am a keen collector. The hotel scene around Como has always been a bit problematic and a small but important detail is the matter of how you arrive there and how you intend to move around. That is assuming you don't just plonk yourself down at a hotel and never leave until check-out time. For instance, I have heard that Mandarin Oriental is a nightmare as far as parking is concerned and it has major service issues and nickel-and-dimes guests to death. Macmyday's report on Il Sereno's management woes needs to be taken seriously and I frankly just loathe the egg-box style of the main building which afford guests little privacy. Villa D'Este and Tremezzo and also Serbelloni have adequate parking and offer what one might call the classic Lakes experience. Tremezzo and Serbelloni have the best views.

Maggiore has the stunning gardens on the Borromee Islands and a couple of handsome old-school hotels.

And then there is Lake Orta, the hidden gem. Villa Crespi lacks a pool and also a mega-view but it might be the best hotel and has the best food.

The trick in this region is to avoid mid-May-September. Late April/early May and October/early November are the best months. James Bond and George Clooney and Jeremy Clarkson have made this a tourist crush even worse than before.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:24 pm

I will likely do late September. Trying to avoid Italy in August this year. And won’t have time to travel to Italy before that.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c
planning a trip for next summer and room availability seems pretty limited. Is it worth staying here if in an entry level room (vs. say villa d'este)? and if so, strong preference between an entry level room in the main building vs. casa rustica? thanks so much in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.