virtuoso paperwork

Old Jun 2, 2022, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

virtuoso paperwork

So this is my second booking in a row with a Virtuoso property in which their are hiccups finalizing the booking with regards to credit card authorization (Casa Gangontena, now Rosa Alpina).

I started using a travel agent a couple years ago, as I found booking thru hotels.com (with their 10% credit format)/booking.com you are basically a bottom of the barrel guest at lux properties. If i get a $100 credit or upgrade that is nice but not the whole point. This was all going smoothly enough, and I like the agent i work with, although sometimes i am afraid i'll lose that 'last room' waiting for agent to get back to me (hasn't' happened yet haha). But i don't want to keep doing paperwork and have multiple back and forth emails, sometimes having to print, sign, scan, encrypt, email back documents when i could have gone onto the hotels website and booked it within 5 minutes. The virtuosso agent has my cc info, and signed authorization to use it. She books airline tickets easily for me.

Is this normal, a bad coincidence ? Issue with travel peaking again? I'm starting to think i should just go back to booking things myself, perhaps booking direct with hotel instead of 3rd party.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 8:09 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
What logo is at the top of the 3rd party form you are filling in?
If the hotel is asking for it, in theory they would ask for it from a direct booking too
Old Jun 2, 2022, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG
What logo is at the top of the 3rd party form you are filling in?
If the hotel is asking for it, in theory they would ask for it from a direct booking too
it's the hotels logo, in both cases. Essentially asking for my credit card info/address and all the terms of cancellation etc with my signature

I feel like it is the equivalent of a couple check boxes when booking through a secure portal, never have had to do this when booking for myself. Just wondering if this sorta paperwork has always been the norm for travellers using agents in the past?

It doesn't sound like a big deal, but with last stay had to fill out form for deposit, then final payment, then airport transfer that they forgot to charge me for upon check out. I only have pdf encrpt software on one old PC at home so is a nuisance
Old Jun 2, 2022, 8:30 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I don’t think that something I’ve seen. Maybe something your agent should take care of?
Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Got something like that from an Aman (Amanzoe) in the past. The good thing: If you got it in behalf of the hotel your room is already booked or at least blocked.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 10:12 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
I believe the issue has to do with an outside-the-US hotel charging a US credit card for a deposit. Were the guest to decline the charge, the hotel would have no practical recourse. So the hotel is taking the additional step of securing the guest's approval in writing, with signature, for the charge they are making. I think it could be as simple as that ...

Moreover (though it's not applicable in this instance), some foreign governments — Asian countries come to mind — impose regulations on charges made without the cardholder present to present the card and sign the receipt. Such regulations may be set in place to make sure that the government gets its taxes...

The reason to send the paperwork to you — and not have the advisor fill it out in your name — is that credit card companies will frequently send text messages to the cardholder to verify the charge. The guest has x minutes to complete the transaction once the code is sent.

Agree that it's a PITA, but banks are leery of credit card fraud and merchants are leery of chargebacks.

Originally Posted by tdiddy23
So this is my second booking in a row with a Virtuoso property in which their are hiccups finalizing the booking with regards to credit card authorization (Casa Gangontena, now Rosa Alpina).

I started using a travel agent a couple years ago, as I found booking thru hotels.com (with their 10% credit format)/booking.com you are basically a bottom of the barrel guest at lux properties. If i get a $100 credit or upgrade that is nice but not the whole point. This was all going smoothly enough, and I like the agent i work with, although sometimes i am afraid i'll lose that 'last room' waiting for agent to get back to me (hasn't' happened yet haha). But i don't want to keep doing paperwork and have multiple back and forth emails, sometimes having to print, sign, scan, encrypt, email back documents when i could have gone onto the hotels website and booked it within 5 minutes. The virtuosso agent has my cc info, and signed authorization to use it. She books airline tickets easily for me.

Is this normal, a bad coincidence ? Issue with travel peaking again? I'm starting to think i should just go back to booking things myself, perhaps booking direct with hotel instead of 3rd party.
obscure2k and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 10:19 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by tdiddy23
it's the hotels logo, in both cases. Essentially asking for my credit card info/address and all the terms of cancellation etc with my signature
I have had Rosa Alpina ask for this in the past too..... I will admit I filled it in for the client and signed for him, not all advisors would feel as comfortable doing that
If you are booking peak seasons with deposits and aggressive cancel terms it isn't unreasonable to ask for some validation and acceptance of those terms
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 4:49 pm
Original Member

I frequently have had to process such such paperwork, always for non-U.S. properties. It’s slightly annoying but not overly so. I comp,ete, then tale a photo and send back to agent or hotel.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've experienced this for PTS FHR bookings in some countries. I assume it's required so that the hotel can charge your credit card if you don't show. [These weren't properties that required a deposit.]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.