Reload this Page >

Cairo's 2 Four Seasons: Thoughts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cairo's 2 Four Seasons: Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:45 am

The Sofitel El Gezirah is on its own island. The hotel was originally a Sheraton, but a few years ago, Sofitel took over management and brought in Pierre Yves Rochon to re-design the interiors. He did a really nice job and, although this is not a Four Seasons, it is a very acceptable place to stay.

Kebabgy is an iconic restaurant that serves probably the best Egyptian food in Cairo - the bread straight from a wood fired oven in the restaurant. Le Deck juts out into the Nile and is really special for Cairo.

I have stayed at all the so-called five stars in Cairo and I prefer FS Nile Plaza because of its proximity to the Cairo Museum and its on-the-Nile position, but I still like the Sofitel if your budget is a little less - it's a really surprising hotel.

I also like FS First Residence but can't stand the heavy chlorine in the water. No idea why it's like this.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:16 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Thank you. I think we might go with Sofitel - facilities sound good.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
FS Nile is the best choice by a long shot. Nice views and good location. Just remember the traffic is bad no matter whete you stay. Get a high floor with a good view. Even better an executive suite with a larger balcony, but be sure to ask fir high floor with good view.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Odd, the rates I'm seeing (And have been seeing) for the FS NP is in the $290 range, not $550.

I would agree that this hotel is not worth $550/night.

It seems the Sofitel is located on the other side of the river, away from the Egyptian Museum. I suspect it's not as walkable a location as the FS.

Don't know much about the Fairmont, other than there are two locations (like the FS). Do not book the wrong one, or you'll be stuck in no man's land (Nasr City - near the airport).

!
The Sofitel has a bridge over to it and is a short enough walk from the four S Nile Plaza
The view of the Nile and sound of the traffic as you sit on the balcony in one of those rooms in the four S NP is surreal
Similarly the Nile view in the main bar
I thought the food at their Chinese restaurant was delicious
I've stayed once in the fairmont near the airport prior to a flight,it's huge and very modern
Old Dec 26, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by Larkin
FS Nile is the best choice by a long shot. Nice views and good location. Just remember the traffic is bad no matter whete you stay. Get a high floor with a good view. Even better an executive suite with a larger balcony, but be sure to ask fir high floor with good view.
The best choice of the two FS's or the best choice overall in Cairo ?
If not then what do people consider to be the best choice in Cairo ?

I might be there in August with my wife (her first time, I've been many times though largely stayed with friends or family not at hotels) and we will only be staying 2-3 nights and plan to hit only the main attractions in and around Cairo.

What hotel would you guys suggest ?

Cheers
Old Dec 27, 2014, 8:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Just got back from Egypt.

I think it's a toss up b/w both FS properties. Can't go wrong with either.

I prefer the spa and location of Nile Plaza. The in-house Chinese place is amazing.

That said, I think overall I prefer the one in Giza. The Lebanese restaurant there is one of the best places I've ever eaten. I like the more boutique feel to the place. I like that it's more of a "salt of the earth" neighborhood. And, I like the staff/service - hands down - more at First Residence.

But again - can't go wrong with either. Honestly, I'd consider staying at both...they're both wonderful properties.

If main attractions is your only criteria, Nile Plaza is it.

Made 5 albums from my Egypt trip....4 of them are of hotels...check out Nile Plaza and First Residence.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117624978@N08/sets
Old Dec 27, 2014, 11:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

One more thing:

The breakfast at First Residence is above and beyond better than Nile Plaza.

Not even close...
Old Dec 28, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by pricesquire
Just got back from Egypt.

I think it's a toss up b/w both FS properties. Can't go wrong with either.

I prefer the spa and location of Nile Plaza. The in-house Chinese place is amazing.

That said, I think overall I prefer the one in Giza. The Lebanese restaurant there is one of the best places I've ever eaten. I like the more boutique feel to the place. I like that it's more of a "salt of the earth" neighborhood. And, I like the staff/service - hands down - more at First Residence.

But again - can't go wrong with either. Honestly, I'd consider staying at both...they're both wonderful properties.

If main attractions is your only criteria, Nile Plaza is it.

Made 5 albums from my Egypt trip....4 of them are of hotels...check out Nile Plaza and First Residence.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117624978@N08/sets
Thanks for your thoughts.
How do the FS properties compare to the Kempinsky ?
Old Dec 29, 2014, 12:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Review of Four Seasons Cairo Nile Plaza. For full review with pictures, feel free to head over here.

Introduction

To say Cairo is "sensory overload" is an understatement. The place is an absolute zoo. Packed full of people [to the tune of 20 million], the place makes New York City look like a provincial township. Not only does it have the population - it has the traffic, noise, pollution, and energy of one of the world's most intense cities.

Cairo's charms aren't immediately apparent. As Paul Theroux wrote, Cairo is "a city of bad air and hideous traffic," with weather "you might expect on Mars." Day after day the weather was the same: polluted, dusty, and brown. Breathing can be quite difficult, and coming back to your hotel feeling a little dusty is commonplace.

That said, this ancient city does have charms - delicious food, for instance, and one of the most genial populaces I've ever met. It's also a city of UNESCO World Heritage Sites, with easy access to the Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx. It's a city you must spend some time in if you're ever going to visit Egypt.

Because Cairo is so intense, having a luxury hotel as your home away from home makes the city beyond bearable. In other words: Cairo is a bit easier to enjoy when you're resting your head at a Four Seasons. Luckily, the city has two Four Seasons properties. The Four Seasons Nile Plaza is the subject of this review.

Virtuoso

The Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at Nile Plaza is a Virtuoso preferred partner.

Your Virtuoso amenities include:

For 2014 & 2015
Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
Daily full breakfast, for up to two in room guests
$100 USD Spa Services credit, to be utilized during stay
(not combinable, no cash value if not redeemed in full)
Other Virtuoso properties in the area:

Four Seasons Hotel Cairo, at the First Residence

In my opinion, there is one non-negotiable when deciding where to stay in Cairo: the hotel must be situated on the Nile. If not on the Nile, your hotel needs [at minimum]: views of the Nile, or a location that is walking distance to the Nile. Luckily, both Four Seasons satisfy this requirement.

The Four Seasons Nile Plaza is located in Garden City, one of Cairo's more elegant and affluent neighborhoods. Famous for its Art Deco villas, the property is walking distance to many of Cairo's most famous sites [for example: Tahrir Square & the Egyptian Museum of Antiquities]. For business, academia, and political travelers, the property is situated near many Western embassies, banks, and schools.

In other words: the location is ideal.

Lobby

True to form, and entirely typical of the Four Seasons brand, the lobby is nothing short of a spectacle. It's also a botanists dream: fresh cut flowers adorn every corner of the ground floor. [Even during the Revolution of 2011, when occupancy rates were at historical lows, the hotel continued to import fresh flowers for their lobby.]

While most of the lobby is flush with flowers and chandeliers, there are also two appropriately situated [and quite utilitarian] areas for reception & concierge services.

What's so tasteful about the lobby is the perfect mixture between form and function. The lobby has all the elements of a grand lobby: piano, plush couches & chairs, lights, chandelier, marble, flowers, and so forth. That said, the space is tempered with more useful and practical space [reception, concierge, meeting space, lounge, etc.] that creates a satisfying, balanced lobby.

Accommodations

Four Seasons Nile Plaza has 221 rooms & suites. Of those rooms, the hotel has ten room categories spanning thirty stories. The categories are as follows:

STANDARD ROOMS:

Superior [495 s.f.] - view of the Citadel or the hotel pool
Deluxe [495 s.f.] - view of the Citadel or the hotel pool
Nile-View Room [495 s.f.] - view of the Nile or Zamalek Island
Premier Nile Room [635 s.f.] - view of the Nile or Zamalek Island

SUITES:

Royal Suite [2831 s.f.] - views of the Nile and, weather permitting, the Pyramids

Presidential Suite [1486 s.f.] - views of the Nile

Nile Suite [1098 s.f.] - views of the Nile

Diplomatic Suite [1033 s.f.] - views of the Nile

Four Seasons Executive Suite [904 s.f.] - views of the Nile and Zamalek Island

Corniche Suite [635 s.f.] - views of the Nile

MY BEDROOM [PREMIER NILE ROOM]:

There was a lot to like about the bedroom: it is spacious, comfortable, and airy. The balcony is a huge plus, even if you don't have much time to use it. For a non-suite category, the room is enormous. The bedding is typical of the Four Seasons brand [as comfortable as hotel beds get].

While the room was comfortable, there is nothing cutting edge about the space. To put it gently: it's hardly a good looking room. I'm perfectly fine with "classical" over "modern" - but this room was due for a makeover 3-5 years ago. Left in it's current state, the room will be dubbed that dreaded word: dated.

The view was incredible, though.

In summary, the major issues with the room are:

Lack of a coffee/tea machine
The overall spartan nature of the space
Furnishings were blasé, erring on dated
Overall I was pleased, but I wasn't in awe the decor or vibe.

BATHROOM:

The bathroom was ideal, and the aesthetic of this layout and decor is pretty much timeless. Two things I loved: (1) the Egyptian themed rug; and (2) the separate shower/tub combo.

I also got to check out the hotel's Royal Suite. Being that I didn't sleep there, there isn't much I can add beyond the attached pictures [see below]. The suite is, obviously, incredible [past guests include Tony Blair and Elizabeth Hurley].

Dining

The hotel has a plethora of dining options: five restaurants and four lounges. I ate at two of those options: Zitouni and Bella. I wasn't blown away by either option. Full disclosure: my experience with both was limited.

Zitouni is where you'll end up if you're eating breakfast at the hotel [one of your Virtuoso amenities is daily full breakfast for two]. The spread is quite expansive, and the room in which breakfast is served has amazing views of the Nile. The ambiance is above-average, as is the staff. That said, there was nothing about the food that really "popped." It was good, but it wasn't great. Also, despite billing itself as an Egyptian restaurant, the ethnic fare was quite limited and made up a very small portion of the menu.

Bella is the on-site option for Italian food. I tried three items here: mushroom risotto, beef tenderloin, and tiramisu. All were serviceable, but none were exceptional.

For what it's worth, there are two on-site dining options that get rave reviews.

The first one, 8, is a Chinese restaurant located on the second floor of the hotel. The Dim Sum here is supposed to be very good, as is the seafood. I was dying to try the food here, but just didn't have the time. For a sample menu, click here.

Furthermore, the pool deck has a bar & grill dishing out fresh naan bread & tandoori chicken. Like 8, I didn't get to try it, but heard very good feedback [both online & from fellow travelers].

Spa & Wellness

The spa was - bar none - my favorite amenity at the hotel. After long days of touring, walking, and adventuring around Cairo, there is no better way to end the day than by sitting in a steam room, using the sauna, going for a swim, or getting a massage.

I used the spa for four consecutive days - often twice a day - and was generally pleased. The space was spartan, bordering on minimalist. It was also one of the smaller spas I've been to of late. That said, the layout was beyond ideal: cold plunge pool was directly across from the jacuzzi; the sauna was arms length from the steam room; showers and sinks were conveniently located throughout the spa; etc.

My main complaints were: (1) the lack of a relaxation room; and (2) the jacuzzi never got adequately hot.

Overall, the spa was a great place to spend some time decompressing from each day. I'd recommend the experience.

Service & Soft Product

The service here was nothing short of exceptional. Staff was friendly, accommodating, and eager to please. I had good experiences with every staff-member I interacted with - from the bellman & waiters all the way up to the concierge and spa manager.

Conclusion

I really enjoyed my stay at the Four Seasons Nile Plaza. It wasn't the most cutting edge establishment, but it almost doesn't have to be. The product is simply solid, and the service takes it to another level. The location, spa, and service were all first class. As for the small issues I had [room decor & furniture], I suspect those things will be updated during a soft renovation in the near future. Here's to hoping business in Cairo picks up, warranting that future refurbishment. All in all, I'd return here in a heartbeat.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 5:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Review: Four Seasons Cairo at the First Residence
*For pictures, hop over to the blog [if you can't tell by now, I think it's beyond tedious updating more than a few pictures at once on FT]

Introduction

During my time in Cairo, I stayed at two Four Seasons hotels: Four Seasons Cairo Nile Plaza, and Four Seasons Cairo First Residence. The latter hotel is the subject of this review.

Because I stayed at two hotels of the same ilk, this write-up contains an above-average number of comparisons [read: a lot of comparisons]. In my mind, there is nothing more trite [and annoying] than comparing things that simply cannot be compared. That said, these properties are both in Cairo, both run by Four Seasons, both have an attached mall, and both are considered to be the best hotels in the city. Because both hotels that are so inevitably similar, comparisons are inescapable. You have been warned.

Note/buyer beware: For those who are reading this review before reading my review of the Four Seasons Cairo at Nile Plaza, you're going to be extremely confused. Context is important, so please, take the time and read the Nile Plaza review first.

Virtuoso

The Four Seasons Hotel Cairo, at the First Residence is a Virtuoso preferred supplier. The Virtuoso amenities associated with a stay here include:

Daily Buffet breakfast, for up to two in room guests
Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
A complimentary 50-minute massage
for up to two people, per room, once during stay

Other Virtuoso properties in the area:

Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at Nile Plaza [already reviewed]

First Residence is located in Giza, sandwiched between the Nile River and Giza Zoo. If you go out the back door, you're one block from the river. If you go out from the front, you're at the zoo. So, by Giza standards, the location is impeccable.

From a tourism perspective, I'm not sure the location is a huge selling point. Most people who come to Cairo only come to Giza for one reason: the Pyramids. Otherwise, most of the tourist sites are on the opposite side of the river, in Cairo proper [by tourist sites, I mean: Tahrir Square, the Museum of Egyptian Antiquities, the Mosque of Muhammad Ali, Khan al-Khalili market, Zamalek, etc.]. For a tourist, the Four Seasons Cairo at Nile Plaza is the better sell.

While First Residence is on the "wrong side of the river," I happen to really like the location. This part of Giza felt a bit more "real" than the area surrounding the other Four Seasons. When you leave the hotel, there is a local flair, and a vibrancy, that you just don't get from Nile Plaza's location.

My suggestion? If you're in Cairo for more than a three nights, split your time between the two Four Seasons.

Closest international airport: CAI [0:38]

Lobby

Four Seasons hotels are notorious for their chic lobbies, and First Residence is no exception.

I prefer the lobby of First Residence to that of Nile Plaza, for a few reasons.

First Residence's lobby gives off a boutique-ish, charming vibe
The space is smaller, by a long shot, compared to Nile Plaza
The lobby is also much quieter [and relaxing] than it's cross-river counterpart.
It's a more personable, welcoming experience, reminiscent of a luxury hotel you'd find in Florence or Rome, not Cairo.

In other words, the First Residence lobby lacks the "corporate hotel" feeling you may get from Nile Plaza.

"THE MALL AT FIRST RESIDENCE"

Both Cairo properties have a lobby that is attached to a large shopping mall. This hotel has "the Mall at First Residence."

The mall is a "see and be seen" type of place, and is quite popular with Cairo's upper class [people actually come here for the sole purpose of celebrity sightings]. The other reason the mall is so popular? By Cairo standards, the shops you'd find here are very upscale, i.e. Rolex, Tiffany, Ferragamo, Bvlgari, etc.

Normally I wouldn't really care about a mall, but in this case, even the non-shoppers will find themselves here every day they're at the hotel. Why? Because the first floor of the mall contains La Gourmandise, First Residence's breakfast restaurant. [Which brings up a good point...yes, you're eating at the ground floor of a shopping mall.]

Despite being a social scene, at no point was this place packed with people. Hell, the most people I saw at any one point was a handful of window shoppers.

Accommodations

In total, First Residence has 269 rooms, 42 of those being suites ["the most spacious in the city," according to Four Seasons].

The hotel only has three "standard" room categories:

Premier [624 s.f.; floors 12-20]

Deluxe [581 - 624 s.f.; floors 7-20]

Superior [452 - 527 s.f.; floors 5-14]

And five suite categories:

Royal Suite [5597 s.f.; floors 19-20]

Presidential Suite [2709 s.f.; floors 15-18]

Ambassador Suite [2992 s.f.; floors 12-14]

Diplomatic Suite [1162 - 1230 s.f.; floors 5-20]

Four Seasons Executive Suite [840 s.f.; floors 5-18]

MY BEDROOM [PREMIER ROOM; 14TH FLOOR]:

I found the room to be lightyears beyond Nile Plaza's Premier Room. In general, the layout was the same at both hotels, and the design itself wasn't far off either. Where First Residence truly exceeded my expectations was:

Headboard & bedding hardware
Furniture and fixtures
Interior design
Overall aesthetic

The only instance where I felt Nile Plaza & First Residence suffered from the same problem? Too much blank space. For instance, look below at the placement of the TV and the empty wall. For a room of this size, they should have done a better job making the space feel "whole." Spartan, blank walls make it hard - for me at least - to truly feel comfortable.

MY BATHROOM:

The First Residence bathroom was a typical Four Seasons bathroom: fantastic. Then again, so was Nile Plaza's.

Dining

At first glance, First Residence doesn't look flush with dining options. They only have two restaurants and three lounges - which, for most hotels of this size, isn't a lot [don't forget the hotel is connecting to a mall]. As far as restaurants go, you have two options:

STRADA
Aura

And as far as lounges go:

Tea Lounge
Library Bar
La Gourmandise

I ate at one of the restaurants [Aura] and one of the lounges [La Gourmandise]. Both were exceptional.

La Gourmandise:

La Gourmandise is the on-site option for breakfast, which is complimentary if you're booked at the hotel under a Virtuoso rate. They act as a dual-option for diners: [1] an all-day boulangerie; and [2] a solid multi-course breakfast spot. If I were you, I'd partake in both options.

La Gourmandise was a fantastic hotel breakfast experience. In fact, it didn't feel like a hotel breakfast at all, and I'd go so far as to say this was one of the best breakfasts I've had anywhere in my life [yes - it was that good]. So...what made it so memorable?

Fresh baked breads and pastries, the quality of which rivaled what you'd find in Europe. It took a lot of willpower - and the thought of being arrested - that kept me from stuffing my pockets with as many almond croissants as my pants would hold.

A large selection of local food [they had half a dozen types of foul, for Christ's sake].

Furthermore, the spread reminded me a lot of what you'd find in Tokyo at a five-star hotel: a 50/50 split between Asian breakfast and Western breakfast, both cooked to perfection.

Impeccable service: waiters and cooks know you by name, bring made-to-order food to your table, and are easy to talk to. They also know your drink order, day after day

Aura:

As great as breakfast was at La Gourmandise, lunch at Aura may have been even better.

For starters, the hard-product is really solid. The interior is very attractive, with a crisp aesthetic and well-apportioned furnishings [I loved the colors, too].

The food at Aura was beyond delicious. I'm not kidding when I say: I still dream of the entree I ate here, Cousa Bil Laban [zucchini stuffed with minced meat cooked in yoghurt garlic sauce]. The table bread with olive tapenade was equally memorable. And the hookah...so, so good.

The food & beverage component of First Residence was worth writing home about [as I'm doing right now!].

Spa & Wellness

The First Residence spa is much smaller than the one at Nile Plaza. That said, the space is entirely sufficient for a city hotel of this size. The problem is: good size doesn't necessarily mean efficient use of space. I thought the layout was pretty ridiculous, and not a good use of that space at all.

For instance, the relaxation room is the first thing you come across after check-in. In no way is the relaxation room cordoned off, and anytime someone walks into the spa, noise and foot traffic ensue [not to mention the tea station is directly behind the relaxation room]. This is the antithesis of relaxation. Furthermore, the sauna/steam/jacuzzi space was sandwiched into a tiny corner of the spa - a tiny corner that is at the complete opposite end of the sinks, showers, mirrors, and treatment rooms. For a spa of this size, the sauna and steam were ridiculously small [think: one person per unit].

While the spa has a lot of potential, it's nowhere near the quality of Nile Plaza's spa.

POOL:

First Residence, like Nile Plaza, has one hell of a nice pool. Both pool decks are very stylish & modern, with comfortable chairs and a nice layout.

If you're one of those travelers who needs a hotel pool [like I need a hotel spa], don't fret - you can't go wrong at either hotel.

Service & Soft-Product

It is very hard to convey what good service actually means, mostly because it's a lot more nuanced and involved than the typical hotel truisms one hears about service ["they remember your name" or "they were all friendly," etc.]. For that reason, I'll try to keep it as simple as possible for this particular review: I was extremely impressed by the people working at First Residence [from housekeeping all the way to the top managers].

Conclusion

First Residence exceeded my expectations in nearly every way possible. Does that mean it was a perfect hotel? Not at all.

Let's start with the good. Aesthetically speaking, First Residence is a stunning hotel, reminiscent of some of the most charming mid-size European hotels I've seen. The lobby was super chic, as was the wall decor, furnishings, artwork, and accouterments.

The rooms were good, not great. Bathrooms are typical Four Seasons quality [which is a good thing].

The soft-product [employees, food, and service] are beyond exceptional, so nothing to complain about there.

As far as negatives go, I can break it down into three major issues. (1) The spa was a middle of the road experience, nothing more; (2) The room, despite being a step up from Nile Plaza, remained quite bare [it's hard to feel truly comfortable in a stark, empty room]; and (3) I'm willing to bet that most people won't appreciate the location as much as I did.

I'm not sure when I'm headed back to Cairo, but if I am to visit for a second time, I'll most likely be staying at First Residence.

Last edited by pricesquire; Feb 14, 2015 at 6:28 am
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:56 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at First Residence - Still the best in Cairo

Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at First Residence

Map| 5 Reviews | 100% Recommended

35 Giza Street Giza, EG 12311

Still the best in Cairo (10 Photos)

We have avoided Egypt for two years because of the security situation, but as soon as we arrived we could feel everything was normal and safe.

We arranged Meet & Assist through Cairo airport directly and were met at the aerobridge at T2 taken to an elevator and driven by a BMW 7 series to the VIP terminal where a single immgration officer processed our formalities while we sat in the lounge waiting.

Check In

We always book a Diplomatic Suite and a standard room and the hotel honoured out specific suite room number request.

Since our last visit they moved reception and concierge to the ground floor entrance, it previously just used to be security with reception on the 3rd floor.

Check in was swift and we were met at the car by the duty manager and taken straight to the suite for in room checkin.

Room

We book the Diplomatic Suite because it is simply furnished, but luxurious in textures. The small details such as the handwritten cards, the pictures of famous Egyptian film and movie stars on in room collateral and of course the amenities are what makes this hotel feel special.

The suite has a large living room wtih dining area, a large bedroom, 1.5 bathrooms and two separate balconies.

But the view is spectacular. It is one of the few hotels with direct views of the Pyramids as well as the Giza Zoo in front of you and, of course, the Nile. You can sit on the balcony and see hippos, rhinos and other wildlife in the Zoo which is delightful.

Unfortunatly the second room they have us was directly above the pool on the 15th floor which also has views up and down the Nile but they play live music by the pool until 11PM each night so I requested a room move.

We only stayed for 3 nights  and wanted to go to the FS San Stefano for a night so we kept the standard room and checked out of the suite for the second night and the hotel arranged this seamlessly.

IMG_2881.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

IMG_2323.JPG

IMG_8684.JPG

IMG_5391.JPGIMG_1085.JPG

IMG_5737.JPG

IMG_5234.JPG

IMG_3415.JPG

Service

The service truly excelled on this stay. We had a number of appointments on the other side of Cairo and to avoid crossing the city we used the hotel limo to take us there in between our airport transfers.

We wanted to take the train to the FS San Stefano in Alexandria and I had arranged this with the concierge in advance. Unfortuanetly "Midday," as we later found out, means between 12PM and 3PM in Egypt do rather than booking a 12PM train they booked the 3PM. Given it was soon to be a national holiday the hotel had difficulty arranging trains. We needed to be back in Cairo for a 4:00PM appointment that couldn't be changed so Emil the Director of Rooms came to meet with us and discuss our options. I suspect it was because he was the most seniot staff member in house. I wans't upset by the mixup but said our times weren't negotiable and if they couldn't get us on a train we would take the hotel limo but I really would prefer not to do a 4 hour point to point car ride.

Between Emil and Tamer the Chief Concierge they manage to get us on the right trains, organise limos from their hotel to Ramses station, our appointments and communicate directly with the FS San Stefano for our pickup.

All of out plans worked out perfectly as a result.

Dining

The hotel has moved breakfast from the main restaurant to the former reception area next to the tea lounge. The spread is extensive and they have added a list of a la carte items to order as well.

The food is of an extremely quality with freshly pressed juices made and a selection of meats, cheeses, Ful medamas, breads etc.

The location might not be ideal for tourists who want to access the museums, however of all the hotels closest to the Pyramids it is by far the best.

It's only 45 mins from the airport and the First Mall below has had some significant stores added including Bulgari, Tiffany and Emporio Armani.

I would argue no other hotel can provide a view of the Pyramids and the Nile like this FS.

IMG_7539.JPG

Overall

Overall this was another fantastic stay. From the thousands of dollars they must spent on fresh flowers for the common areas and the rooms to the impeccable service this is still the best hotel in Cairo.

The FS Nile Plaza is more popular because of its locations but the suites at this hotel are far, far superior.

Still the best in Cairo

Would you like to write a review on the Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at First Residence?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Great pics. I loved Egypt although didn't stay at the FS. The suite looks wonderful. My favourite was the Mena House. I love staying somewhere with a bit of history and architecture/décor of the country so I know I have left SYD.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:13 pm

One of my favorite memories as a kid was the week my family spent in Cairo between Christmas and New Year's. Having a long week to explore Cairo we ran out of tourist spots so we spent a wild day at the zoo. This being the 80's, a western family hanging out at the zoo on a Friday was quite a spectacle. Of course, the zoo keepers, keen for a little baksheesh, were eager to see us as well! I'm pretty sure my face was licked by every giraffe in the enclosure. In the cat house, we were pulled into the back room and shown to cage where the keeper, chair and whip, in hand opened the gate and literally pulled me by the arm to come in and see the giant, hissing lion. Yella!

I don't know if the zoo has been updated at all since then but at the time it had a very backwater charm to it.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 3:17 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tfjim
One of my favorite memories as a kid was the week my family spent in Cairo between Christmas and New Year's. Having a long week to explore Cairo we ran out of tourist spots so we spent a wild day at the zoo. This being the 80's, a western family hanging out at the zoo on a Friday was quite a spectacle. Of course, the zoo keepers, keen for a little baksheesh, were eager to see us as well! I'm pretty sure my face was licked by every giraffe in the enclosure. In the cat house, we were pulled into the back room and shown to cage where the keeper, chair and whip, in hand opened the gate and literally pulled me by the arm to come in and see the giant, hissing lion. Yella!

I don't know if the zoo has been updated at all since then but at the time it had a very backwater charm to it.
I don't believe it would have changed! TBH, I don't think I would want to see the animals as animal care and rights aren't a high priority in Egypt.

That said, I befriended every hotel German Shepherd at the FS FR, NP and Alex and two of them remembered me from my last visit two years ago which delighted me more than anything. Sneaking them meat every day probably helped
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Thanks for posting, I havent been to Cairo in a few years, maybe 10 and am heading back with my wife and three kids next summer for a quick pyramids tour and a cheap business class ticket ;-) This looks like a fabulous place to stay, had done the LM Pyramids in early 2000s and it seemed tired then so can only imagine it now. Haven't looked yet, but is this property in FHR or any promo I should look for? Also, when I was last there I used this awesome woman at Casual Cairo detours as a guide and she seems to have retired. Any suggestions? Looking for someone who can help organize whatever we can pack in during 23 hours, but also keep the locals from hassling us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.