FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Lower Manhattan best options (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1586689-lower-manhattan-best-options.html)

Big_Foot Jun 19, 2014 11:00 am

Lower Manhattan best options

Sorry for the new thread, but couldn't find anything specific.
We are in NYC again and having an absolute blast (although it was a bit
too hot last 2 days, great again today). We are staying at the St Regis
(5th Ave suite) and love it. The hotel just finished a renovation, all clean
and nice, smells new. Great, great service, a perfect location.
It's our 2nd stay in just 4 weeks, same suite, same amazing experience.
BTW, if anyone is looking for the best Italian restaurant - Il Corso
on 55th, between 5th and 6th. We are addicted, come here every day.
Became friends with everybody, love this place. More about St Regis
(and Il Corso) on my blog.
Anyway, for our next trip we would like to try something in Lower Manhattan,
Tribeca or Soho. Any recommendations? Something in a lower, traditional
building, windows which open are a must, a balcony/terrace would be great.
Close to great Italian restaurants is another must.
Would love the place to be new/renovated.

Appreciate any help guys!

Andrew

damaxer91 Jun 19, 2014 12:09 pm

Best in Lower Manhattan is the Ritz Carlton Battery Park. Would consider the Trump Soho as well

DavidO Jun 19, 2014 12:24 pm

… or if you want something more boutique in nature, the Greenwich

MikeFromTokyo Jun 19, 2014 12:59 pm

Crosby Street Hotel

ABG Jun 19, 2014 1:08 pm

I don't think they have terrace suites or rooms, but Greenwich hotel with Locanda Verde next door meets your requirements. The courtyard area is nice and only open to hotel guests.

FlyingDoctorwu Jun 19, 2014 2:00 pm

The Greenwich has a nice courtyard and pool. I wasn't a huge fan of their rooms (primarily their bathrooms). I like a soaking tub in the room, and that's really not an option here unless you spring for a suite. Trump Soho would probably have a better hard product. I honestly wasn't super impressed with their service, but maybe I caught them on an off time. Locanda Verde has a great reputation. We didn't get a chance to eat there but my friends and my sister have nothing but praise for it.

If I was to return the area I would try the Trump Soho. RCBP is waay south; there's nothing in that area that appeals to me.

FDW

dodgeflyer Jun 19, 2014 4:45 pm

[deleted]

RichardInSF Jun 19, 2014 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer (Post 23064082)
Stayed at what I thought would be a great place, The Westhouse Hotel, 55th and 5th, what a horrid hotel for the prices charged. Nothing was wrong, but it just isn't as great as they want it to be.

...and unless I have totally forgotten how Manhattan streets work, it isn't in Lower Manhattan either.

juuceman Jun 19, 2014 7:39 pm

The Bowery hotel. Insist on a room with a tub.

dodgeflyer Jun 20, 2014 6:26 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 23064211)
...and unless I have totally forgotten how Manhattan streets work, it isn't in Lower Manhattan either.

Ooops, a bit too much booze - I interepreted the OP's definition of the lower Manhattan as below 55th.

MikeFromTokyo Jun 20, 2014 9:10 am

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer (Post 23066594)
Ooops, a bit too much booze - I interepreted the OP's definition of the lower Manhattan as below 55th.

That's definitely midtown. Lower Manhattan is below 14th street;)

As I said before, my favorite is Crosby Street Hotel.

vuittonsofstyle Jun 20, 2014 10:24 am

The Greenwich in Tribeca is a favourite of mine and they do have some juniors with little balconies. Great staff & food, very cosy and residential, with windows that open. The courtyard is perfect in the summer.

Best in Soho is Crosby Street - stunning rooms and suites with windows that open, plus a terrific courtyard garden. I cannot recall any balconies, apart from the Meadow Suite which has its own....meadow.

Big_Foot Jun 20, 2014 7:13 pm

Thank you!!!

Crosby Street Hotel looks great, but it's fully booked in September/October
when we want to come to NYC next time. I guess a few basic rooms are left...

Greenwich it is I guess :)
Doesn't seem like you can open the windows in Trump (?). Looks like
any other business hotel to me, I might be wrong...

Or we'll get back to St Regis again :D Can't recommend it enough guys.

Yahillwe Jun 21, 2014 3:23 am

The Crosby is part of the Frimdale london group. I do like how the wife decorates the hotels.

Musken Jun 22, 2014 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 23067332)
That's definitely midtown. Lower Manhattan is below 14th street;)

OK. When you say 14th Street, I have to add Soho House (14th street, 9th avenue corner more or less). We loved it when we were in NY. Huge room, great restaurants and rooftop bar/pool - and close to lots of fun in the meatpacking and nearby areas. It is a member's club with lots or events going on rather than a normal hotel, but the rooms are cool and really huge compared to many other NY options. And rates lower than the "normal" lux hotels.