Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Sonora Resort (British Columbia, Canada): Trip Report

Sonora Resort (British Columbia, Canada): Trip Report

Old Jun 14, 14, 8:11 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 21
Sonora Resort (British Columbia, Canada): Trip Report

We recently returned from Sonora Resort last month, which was wonderful and exceeded expectations. I hadn't seen much about this resort on Flyertalk so wanted to share some highlights in two parts. Full photos and commentary for part one are here on my personal blog, but I will give a short recap below.

PART ONE:

http://www.featherfactor.com/2014/06...-part-one.html

The resort operates its own helicopters and I'd recommend a transfer this way (though the water taxis looked cool!).



Aerial view of resort:



Grounds:



Our room - we were in the "diamond" level room which was the highest tier I believe. Rooms weren't traditionally "luxurious" but very up to date, clean and with good amenities.



Some of the properties boats



Local wildlife!



Food was a strong suit here - delicious (and all inclusive, save for certain wines)



If you have any questions please just ask. I also included more detail on my actual blog post. Our first time in BC and it was lovely. I also tried to do some digging around while there to see if Clayoquot was worth it as we had considered booking it with Sonora but it was just sooo much more expensive. I couldn't get a really definitive answer though

I hope to be able to update with Part Two soon!
meowzilla is offline  
Old Jun 15, 14, 4:43 am
  #2  
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Posts: 3,172
Cool. Never heard of it. Is the emphasis on nature/wildlife viewing? Any Orcas?
Ericka is offline  
Old Jun 15, 14, 9:54 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 564
Looks amazing! I am intrigued to know how this would compare with Clayoquot as well since the premium is quite steep.
HKTraveler is offline  
Old Jun 15, 14, 7:11 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by Ericka View Post
Cool. Never heard of it. Is the emphasis on nature/wildlife viewing? Any Orcas?
Emphasis definitely on nature/wildlife. No orcas that we saw but I think they do have whales..it depends on the season. I was disappointed, we missed GRIZZLY season which is more in the summer, but it didn't work with our schedule.

I'd describe it maybe as a Post Ranch but with a lot more activities to do on the water and way more facilities. Spa, etc. All inclusive food & Relais Chateaux.
meowzilla is offline  
Old Jun 15, 14, 7:13 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by HKTraveler View Post
Looks amazing! I am intrigued to know how this would compare with Clayoquot as well since the premium is quite steep.
They are sister resorts and offer a group package kind of, but I just couldn't justify the Clayoquot cost. Some of the staff and a couple staying at the lodge had worked at/been to both, and they said it was quite good, but were surprised when I told them how much more expensive it was.

They did say that the experience at Clayoquot vs. Sonora was very unique, but you could stay in the same area as Clayoquot and just experience the area's offerings for less cost.
meowzilla is offline  
Old Jun 16, 14, 2:26 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Programs: BA GGL
Posts: 195
Originally Posted by meowzilla View Post
They are sister resorts and offer a group package kind of, but I just couldn't justify the Clayoquot cost. Some of the staff and a couple staying at the lodge had worked at/been to both, and they said it was quite good, but were surprised when I told them how much more expensive it was.

They did say that the experience at Clayoquot vs. Sonora was very unique, but you could stay in the same area as Clayoquot and just experience the area's offerings for less cost.
I've been to Clayoquot but not Sonora (though did research it fairly carefully in advance.)

For us Clayoquot was easily worth it. Why?

1) Activities- amazing selection + amazing flexibility (one person looking after you per couple.)
2) Adventure - staying in tents at the head of a Fiord in the middle of nowhere feels fantastic.
3) Food - (to calibrate - thanks to living in London and the odd trip to NY I'm probably at > 50 Michelin stars in the last 3 years) - for us the food at Clayoquot could give anything we've eaten elsewhere a run for its money. Possibly not for all tastes- its very fresh so if your thing is eating something thats been cooked in butter 4 times then it may not be for you.
4) The wow factor.

We'd go back in a heartbeat

YMMV. In particular if you're not into outdoors activities / fresh food / tents you may find it a bit less exciting. Some might (I suspect) find it missing various creature comforts (we didn't). And it is eye-wateringly expensive.
pauljeff is offline  
Old Jun 16, 14, 5:00 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by pauljeff View Post
I've been to Clayoquot but not Sonora (though did research it fairly carefully in advance.)

For us Clayoquot was easily worth it. Why?

1) Activities- amazing selection + amazing flexibility (one person looking after you per couple.)
2) Adventure - staying in tents at the head of a Fiord in the middle of nowhere feels fantastic.
3) Food - (to calibrate - thanks to living in London and the odd trip to NY I'm probably at > 50 Michelin stars in the last 3 years) - for us the food at Clayoquot could give anything we've eaten elsewhere a run for its money. Possibly not for all tastes- its very fresh so if your thing is eating something thats been cooked in butter 4 times then it may not be for you.
4) The wow factor.

We'd go back in a heartbeat

YMMV. In particular if you're not into outdoors activities / fresh food / tents you may find it a bit less exciting. Some might (I suspect) find it missing various creature comforts (we didn't). And it is eye-wateringly expensive.
Thank you for sharing your experience! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it so much - all the photos looked spectacular. It reminded me of something closer to an African safari experience.

I think you would like Sonora as well - the food def. exceeded expectations (but it could get boring with a longer than four night stay).

When you stayed were there still communal bathrooms or did they install the private ones?
meowzilla is offline  
Old Jun 21, 14, 11:25 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 564
Thank you for sharing. That sounds like exactly the type of places I like! We have had good experiences with similar types of lodges in Australia and are looking forward to branching out and trying other similar places. Do you think the tents in Clayoquot would be too small for a family of four with two young children?

Last edited by HKTraveler; Jun 26, 14 at 9:00 pm
HKTraveler is offline  
Old Jun 26, 14, 12:36 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by HKTraveler View Post
Thank you for sharing. That sounds like exactly the type of places I like! We have had good experiences with similar types of lodges in Australia and are looking forward to branching out and trying other similar places. Do you think the Clayoquot would be too small for a family of four with two young children?
I think Clayoquot would be nice given the activities on hand - however I haven't been there (though now it is on my list...ha). I will be checking out some lodges in Australia later this year so I can at least compare those against Sonora at that time! Where did you stay in AUS?
meowzilla is offline  
Old Jun 26, 14, 1:10 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 21
Here is the second portion of my Sonora review:

http://www.featherfactor.com/2014/06...-part-two.html

Breakfast:



Lunch:



Property:





Boats



Dinner



Overall recommended! Especially for the price, I think a nice value and experience.

Happy to answer any more questions as well.
meowzilla is offline  
Old Jun 26, 14, 9:01 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 564
Saffire Freycinet and Wolgan Valley. Both very nice but a slight edge to Saffire for food and view.
HKTraveler is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread