FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   What is the best resort in Bodrum (Turkey)? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1584835-what-best-resort-bodrum-turkey.html)

theLuxuryTravelExpert Jun 12, 2014 11:48 am

What is the best resort in Bodrum (Turkey)?

I am planning to spend a couple of days in Bodrum (Turkey) in late summer. Recent years, some luxury hotels opened in Budrum and if I am correct, these days Bodrum promotes itself as a more upscale destination at the Turkish Riviera.

I was wondering if anybody could share his/her experience with me: is Bodrum a scenic destination, and what is the best resort in the area? Your advice would be much appreciated!

Thx

Musken Jun 12, 2014 12:33 pm

Amanruya!!! Not really in Bodrum itself, but a fantastic resort.

xracer Jun 12, 2014 12:48 pm

Also, the MO opens sometime in July (I think). Not commenting on whether it will be better than Amanruya or not, but it's certainly worth noting.

Musken Jun 12, 2014 12:55 pm

We passed the MO during building when we were at Amanruya. It looked massive and not at all charming compared to the tranquil village feel of Amanruya, but I am sure it will be good as well and they have a beach. Depends on what you are after I guess.

Jetboy Jun 12, 2014 5:24 pm

I wuld echo Muskens comments, coming from Amanruya, the MO looked HUGE…..

------------------------------------------------------------
visit my personal travel blog at www.getsetjetset.com

LuxuryRogue Jun 12, 2014 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by theLuxuryTravelExpert (Post 23023410)
I am planning to spend a couple of days in Bodrum (Turkey) in late summer. Recent years, some luxury hotels opened in Budrum and if I am correct, these days Bodrum promotes itself as a more upscale destination at the Turkish Riviera.

I was wondering if anybody could share his/her experience with me: is Bodrum a scenic destination, and what is the best resort in the area?

Bodrum is a tourist destination like any other, to be avoided in high season. The upscale tourists go to Amanrüya or soon the MO (beware: both hotels are unconnected from the locality and could be anywhere else).

The real traveller's "secret" in Bodrum is its suburb Türkbükü which is world-class jetset since 10 years. Those in the know still stay at the Macakizi. (beware: Türkbükü is demanding and will not allow someone "in" who is uncomfortable with style, glamour and spending power)

MSPeconomist Jun 12, 2014 11:46 pm

I like Bodrum and find it fascinating. It seems to have a bit of a reputation as a somewhat wild destination compared to the rest of Turkey, which can be conservative.

There are a couple nice hotels in town, but they're not resorts in any sense even though they do have attractive grounds and pools. Some of the resorts are close to an hour away, although I recall seeing a few resort compounds on the edge of town. You may want to try to stay away from loud nightclubs that are open very late.

Londonjetsetter Jun 13, 2014 4:44 am

Originally Posted by LuxuryRogue (Post 23026556)
Bodrum is a tourist destination like any other, to be avoided in high season. The upscale tourists go to Amanrüya or soon the MO (beware: both hotels are unconnected from the locality and could be anywhere else).

The real traveller's "secret" in Bodrum is its suburb Türkbükü which is world-class jetset since 10 years. Those in the know still stay at the Macakizi. (beware: Türkbükü is demanding and will not allow someone "in" who is uncomfortable with style, glamour and spending power)

Yes Türkbükü is an attractive and fun place, although I'm not sure how much of a secret it is anymore. I like the wooden platforms over the water instead of beaches - much cooler in the summer.

Jetboy Jun 14, 2014 10:27 am

Ive posted a review of Amanruya here in the past and in my personal blog www.getsetjetset.com but I still cannot figure out how to post more pics directly ( tips welcome!! ) Text content is below tho! (again)

L1010077
Amanruya, the turkish outpost of the Singapore based Aman group, brings understated style and space to the crowded Turkish coast. Starting its third summer seasons, it might not be as polished as the more established Aman resort in Asia, but it is definitely worth the journey with easy connections from all around Europe via Turkish Airlines Istanbul Ataturk hub, housing the excellent Turkish Airlines Business Class Lounges.

On arrival the Aman driver met me curbside for the short 25 minute drive to the resort. As it was closing midnight the staff were quick to transfer me to my villa, where a small selection of turkish appetizers and a bottle of wine was waiting incase I wanted a midnight snack.
L1010141The villa itself was decorated in typical understated Aman style, and was an architectural triumph, with muted shades of white and blonde wood dominating the spacious room, with double doors opening to the garden and the infinity pool overlooking the mediterranean. The garden , whilst not completely private , provided a sala and also a private dining area and sun loungers.

L1010079
It is worth mentioning there was very little foot traffic past the villa as it was one of the last ones on the block.
The resort is laid out like a traditional turkish village with winding cobble stoned pathways connecting the different areas of the resort. Dining is on demand in several pavilions and a choice of menus is available with the catering manager eager to accommodate any special requests. Food varied from mediocre to good as often seems to be the way with Amans. As well as all villas having their own infinity pools the resort also boasts a stunning main pool, which I hardly ever saw anyone use. As in most Amans you often feel like you are the only guest in the whole resort , even when at full capacity. One of the highlights was the library perched on top of a 3 floor tower for afternoon drinks and watching the sun set with my favourite cocktail in hand.
L1010097

Amanruya also hosts a beach club strictly for hotel residents a 5 minute drive or a leisurely 20 minute walk away through the pine forest. Non-motorised water sports are available and a casual restaurant nestles in between the pine trees overlooking the turquoise sea offering fresh seafood and light meals. A choice of sun loungers is available on the pebble beach or the pontoon perched on top of the mediterranean.
L1010058
Several excursions are available and I opted to take the Aman boat, modelled after a traditional Riva, for a half a day tour of snorkeling and lunch. The boat came manned by a captain and deckhand and lunch was provided on board to my earlier specifications. A truly wonderful way to spend the afternoon.
I would have no hesitations in returning to Amanruya, but if privacy was an issue I would ensure I would have one of the villas at the end of the blocks on a higher level.

stimpy Jul 18, 2015 3:22 am

Has anyone stayed at the MO yet? The suites look great.

Also FYI there's a new Starwood Luxury Collection hotel just now opened in Bodrum. Caresse, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa

vuittonsofstyle Jul 20, 2015 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 25135372)

Also FYI there's a new Starwood Luxury Collection hotel just now opened in Bodrum. Caresse, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa

Yes, stayed at MO last year and loved it. The suites are gorgeous and the food & service are very good indeed, especially when compared to Amanruya, which appears to have lost the plot.

xracer Jul 20, 2015 12:59 pm

One thing to consider with the MO is that none of the pools, except for the indoor pool, are heated. This includes the outdoor main pool(s) and any private pools. So, unless you are there during the core summer months (probably mid-June until mid-September), assume you will not have access to a usable outside pool (unless you like really cold pools).

Some of the private pools at Amanruya are heated (although the main pool is not).

offerendum Jul 20, 2015 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by xracer (Post 25145431)
One thing to consider with the MO is that none of the pools, except for the indoor pool, are heated. This includes the outdoor main pool(s) and any private pools. So, unless you are there during the core summer months (probably mid-June until mid-September), assume you will not have access to a usable outside pool (unless you like really cold pools).

Some of the private pools at Amanruya are heated (although the main pool is not).

Sounds fun! Were in Turkey 20 years ago in spring. An unheated outdoor pool is as useful as a fireplace in Dubai in August - you could even call it torture:D

stimpy Jul 20, 2015 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by xracer (Post 25145431)

Thanks for the info both. Although I'd argue that the unheated pool should still be good til the end of September. I had one on Crete during a not particularly hot last week of September and it was still very nice.

That said, the suites, service and food are more important than the pool to me. I've still not decided for late August. Maybe the MO, maybe the new Caresse, maybe Crete again, or somewhere completely different.

SanDiego1K Jul 5, 2016 5:34 pm

Any experience with Caresse?