FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   What is the best resort in Bodrum (Turkey)? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1584835-what-best-resort-bodrum-turkey.html)

vuittonsofstyle May 31, 2017 10:06 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 28382400)
We are in Bodrum now and loving our stay at Caresse. More on that later.

We have been told the following about high end properties:
  • Amanruya is not expected to reopen. It has been losing money.
  • Kempinski will deflag at the end of the season.
  • Jumeriah has deflagged and hotel has been opened without remodel as Paramount. Apparently it still has all the gilt of the prior brand. tcmb99 first reported it here.
  • From tcmb99's referenced post: Canyon Ranch Kaplankaya in Bodrum has been taken over by Six Senses after just 1 year in operation.

Amanzoe in Greece is struggling and its future is uncertain.

An update on Amanruya. The married architects that owned and built this resort and then subsequently split up, have sold the resort. It is currently closed, but will reopen for the 2018 season.

SanDiego1K May 31, 2017 11:20 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle (Post 28383362)
An update on Amanruya. The married architects that owned and built this resort and then subsequently split up, have sold the resort. It is currently closed, but will reopen for the 2018 season.

Will it remain an Aman?

scented May 31, 2017 11:56 am

OT (mea culpa), but... I am really surprised Amanzoe is apparently posting losses. While this has been perfectly clear at Ruya from Day 1, it does surprise me at Zoe. This resort is usually packed from end of May right until September... and from what I gather, Dolphin is very pleased with the resort. Also continually adding/enhancing the resort, sometimes not even features that produce revenue. While they do (think Villa 20, Beach Cabanas), they have also improved the appearance and gave Ed a lot of work (think the addition of pebbles, some changes in the suites, etc).

There have been reports about design flaws and questionable choices at Ruya since the opening.

tcmb99 May 31, 2017 2:12 pm

yes through virtuoso TA

SanDiego1K Jun 1, 2017 7:20 am

A bit more about Amanruya from staff who worked there. The husband and wife owned the land. The development was owned by a large company. The land has now been sold to a second large company who has a good relationship with the first. A spa is to be built at Amanruya this year prior to it reopening next year.

chinmoylad Jun 1, 2017 8:44 am

Originally Posted by scented (Post 28383821)
OT (mea culpa), but... I am really surprised Amanzoe is apparently posting losses. While this has been perfectly clear at Ruya from Day 1, it does surprise me at Zoe. This resort is usually packed from end of May right until September... and from what I gather, Dolphin is very pleased with the resort. Also continually adding/enhancing the resort, sometimes not even features that produce revenue. While they do (think Villa 20, Beach Cabanas), they have also improved the appearance and gave Ed a lot of work (think the addition of pebbles, some changes in the suites, etc).

There have been reports about design flaws and questionable choices at Ruya since the opening.

Maybe it's because they're closed for so long - taking into account all the upkeep, renovations, improvements, beach cabanas etc. that have been added (financial accounting year and all that). Villa 20 must have cost a lot to build - it was sold though, anyone know for how much?

To paraphrase MacMyDay from his Amanzoe review: "budgets are something that were brought in a meeting and then duly ignored"

Edit - Actual quote(s):

Amanzoe clearly decided that having a budget was a nuisance so scraped it early on. The entire resort is beyond anything I’ve ever seen before, with the architecture so impressive that it really does resemble how you think of ancient Greece, just perhaps they weren’t fortunate enough to have a Watsu pool.

My first Aman experience at Amanzoe, where not only did all the staff seem to be psychic, but the building cost appeared as if budgets were just this thing that would occasionally be said, but then firmly ignored.

aa213bb Jun 3, 2017 5:17 pm

1) I am glad you're enjoying Caresse, SanDiego.

2) I am disheartened to read about Zoe. I really, REALLY hope they stay as they are. Such a lovely property.

SanDiego1K Jun 4, 2017 12:27 am

There is a thread about Caresse in the Starwood forum. It is part of their luxury collection. I posted about my visit there as some of my stay satisfaction stemmed from my Starwood platinum status. I was given an upgrade to a suite and was also given free breakfast. However, should you pay for a suite, it is far less than prices were at Amanruya and includes the breakfast. On a future stay, I might pay in order to be assured of the suite as it is worthy of the price. As its reputation builds, the possibility for complimentary upgrades will lessen.

Let me try to say a few things from the perspective of this forum. I often don't think that Starwood's collection of luxury properties understand luxury service. The GM and staff at this hotel truly do. The focus is on creating customer satisfaction. If we needed something in our room, staff was very prompt. If we had a question at a meal, staff tried hard to be responsive. If their English comprehension was not sufficient, they went in search of someone with greater fluency. We were checked on several times by more senior staff to see if everything was to our satisfaction. Here's an example. The first morning we were offered fresh made crepes with nutella or with orange sauce/lemon wedge/powdered sugar. I preferred the latter. The next day, a different chef was on who wasn't sure of what I wanted when I asked for orange sauce. He created something that was a bit different but absolutely outstanding.

The GM, Makis Antonatos, is terrific. He came from Starwood's luxury collection on Mykonos. He lives on property with his wife and child. We had a far ranging conversation about luxury hotels, life in Bodrum, guests in general, and what we wanted yet from our stay. He immediately booked a special Turkish dinner by his chef and the boat ride we wanted. He made sure he was on property when we left for some final words.

I suggested that they set up boat service to Bodrum Harbor. It was a challenge to drive there and find parking during off season. I shudder to think what it will be like in July and August. It turns out that he and his team were already working to offer a shuttle service back and forth. Perfect! Then you can have the pleasure of the boat trip, see the castle/Undersea Museum, eat shawarma, and go shopping - and then return to the peace of the hotel.

All hotels along this stretch of land have rectangular plots that drop from the main road down to the sea. They really are cheek to jowl. Once on property we were oblivious to adjacent hotels. However, our stunning view was over the swimming pool and seating areas. I can imagine that when the summer season is in full stride there will be considerable buzz. If you want solitude at all times, such as our villa at Amanoi gave us, this might not be the place for you.

We drove a rental car to the hotel. In season, the hotel will have Maseratis for the transfer. I would likely choose this.

I believe there are 67 or so rooms and suites so this is not a large property. There are an exceptional range of places to sit and enjoy the property, whether beach loungers, cabanas, under shade, in the sun. The choices go on and on.

If you met Ali at Amanoi when he worked there 3 to 4 years ago, he is now working at Caresse. He moved to Amanruya and now to Caresse. We met several employees who had come from Amanruya.

We were exceptionally happy with our stay and will be happy to return should our travels bring us to this area.

aa213bb Jun 4, 2017 3:21 pm

That's fantastic! So glad you enjoyed your visit, and I agree, Makis is wonderful.

HumbleBee Jun 30, 2017 5:47 am

Originally Posted by scented (Post 28383821)
OT (mea culpa), but... I am really surprised Amanzoe is apparently posting losses. While this has been perfectly clear at Ruya from Day 1, it does surprise me at Zoe. This resort is usually packed from end of May right until September... .

I was there early May (2017), and they remarked that this seasons is surprisingly empty. It felt so.

While I can understand the outstanding service, privacy, & villa design at a very reasonable rate, personally I find it hard to understand why anybody would spend precious time in a remote and uninteresting part of Greece.

Granted, a similar size room in a prime EU destination (Mykonos/Santorini/Cannes/Monaco/Capri/Amalfi etc) would probably cost 5-10x.

Kagehitokiri Jun 30, 2017 8:45 am

not sure where zoe discussion came from, but >

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 28400867)
"Amanzoe hotel Net Operating Income"
2016 ~€2.4M+ 62% occupancy
2015 "€1.2M" 57% occupancy
2014 ~€600K
2013 / 2012

zoe is residential development 'inside' larger residential development
announced 2BRs may maximize revenue for hotel, minimize owner use
the question is who ends up buying zoe resort, in the next 2 years

aa213bb Jul 2, 2017 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by HumbleBee (Post 28503801)
While I can understand the outstanding service, privacy, & villa design at a very reasonable rate, personally I find it hard to understand why anybody would spend precious time in a remote and uninteresting part of Greece.

I could not possibly more strongly disagree with you that the Peloponnese is uninteresting. And when combined with the plaudits you give Zoe, I find it a very compelling destination.

Of course, if we all agreed this would be a dull forum!

Epicura Oct 16, 2017 2:42 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 28399703)
There is a thread about Caresse in the Starwood forum. It is part of their luxury collection. I posted about my visit there as some of my stay satisfaction stemmed from my Starwood platinum status. I was given an upgrade to a suite and was also given free breakfast. However, should you pay for a suite, it is far less than prices were at Amanruya and includes the breakfast. On a future stay, I might pay in order to be assured of the suite as it is worthy of the price. As its reputation builds, the possibility for complimentary upgrades will lessen.

Let me try to say a few things from the perspective of this forum. I often don't think that Starwood's collection of luxury properties understand luxury service. The GM and staff at this hotel truly do. The focus is on creating customer satisfaction. If we needed something in our room, staff was very prompt. If we had a question at a meal, staff tried hard to be responsive. If their English comprehension was not sufficient, they went in search of someone with greater fluency. We were checked on several times by more senior staff to see if everything was to our satisfaction. Here's an example. The first morning we were offered fresh made crepes with nutella or with orange sauce/lemon wedge/powdered sugar. I preferred the latter. The next day, a different chef was on who wasn't sure of what I wanted when I asked for orange sauce. He created something that was a bit different but absolutely outstanding.

The GM, Makis Antonatos, is terrific. He came from Starwood's luxury collection on Mykonos. He lives on property with his wife and child. We had a far ranging conversation about luxury hotels, life in Bodrum, guests in general, and what we wanted yet from our stay. He immediately booked a special Turkish dinner by his chef and the boat ride we wanted. He made sure he was on property when we left for some final words.

I suggested that they set up boat service to Bodrum Harbor. It was a challenge to drive there and find parking during off season. I shudder to think what it will be like in July and August. It turns out that he and his team were already working to offer a shuttle service back and forth. Perfect! Then you can have the pleasure of the boat trip, see the castle/Undersea Museum, eat shawarma, and go shopping - and then return to the peace of the hotel.

All hotels along this stretch of land have rectangular plots that drop from the main road down to the sea. They really are cheek to jowl. Once on property we were oblivious to adjacent hotels. However, our stunning view was over the swimming pool and seating areas. I can imagine that when the summer season is in full stride there will be considerable buzz. If you want solitude at all times, such as our villa at Amanoi gave us, this might not be the place for you.

We drove a rental car to the hotel. In season, the hotel will have Maseratis for the transfer. I would likely choose this.

I believe there are 67 or so rooms and suites so this is not a large property. There are an exceptional range of places to sit and enjoy the property, whether beach loungers, cabanas, under shade, in the sun. The choices go on and on.

If you met Ali at Amanoi when he worked there 3 to 4 years ago, he is now working at Caresse. He moved to Amanruya and now to Caresse. We met several employees who had come from Amanruya.

We were exceptionally happy with our stay and will be happy to return should our travels bring us to this area.

Thank you so much for your posts on Caresse. Your feedback was the trigger to book a quick getaway in 2 weeks to Bodrum instead of Dubai/Middle East.

Do you happen to have the email of the manager? I would like to contact him. Thank you in advance!

SanDiego1K Oct 16, 2017 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Epicura (Post 28937420)
Do you happen to have the email of the manager?

I do, and will PM you with it.

tcmb99 Oct 16, 2017 8:16 am

i went to caresse for a concert this summer. i think it is a very nice property, but if price is not an issue I would choose MO.